Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had a couple FA's and still shoot a model 83 .454 Casull. Freedom Arms is in a class all their own. If you want 100 yard plus accuracy and a great trigger in a very shootable revolver, buy the FA.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I've had 2 45s on the larger Super Blackhawk Bisley frame, but my only experience with the Flattop "357" Bisley sized gun is in 44 Special with 265/270gr. bullets. Of course I've shot numerous 45's with the Ruger plow handle as well.

That said, the Bisley grip frame is a recoil champ, just don't do the death grip thing. Most who "like" the std plow handle aren't content with the OEM grips and are usually replaced by some rubber fist...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've got this Cattleman II that's a factory convertible from Uburti, i.e., it comes with two fitted, same serial numbered, cylinders, one .45 Colt and one .45 ACP.

[Linked Image]
Very nice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've got this Cattleman II that's a factory convertible from Uburti, i.e., it comes with two fitted, same serial numbered, cylinders, one .45 Colt and one .45 ACP.
Very nice.

Thanks. Safely holds six, due to the newer design on the Cattleman, so there goes that rationale for preferring Ruger to the more authentic Uberti.

Rugers are still likely a bit stronger, but not so much for the New Vaquero.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hawk how is the accuracy of that Cattleman?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Three screw Superblackhawk, line bored by Jim Stroh from .44 Mag to .45 Colt. Shilen 6" barrel, long exractor, front sight made by Jim. I added the aftermarket rear sight, did the trigger job and fitted a trigger stop. I installed a nail inside the trigger spring, behind the plunger, cut to the right length to eliminate excessive over travel. I fitted the stag grips, installed the Ruger medallions.

Mernickle cross draw holster, belt long enough to fit over Winter clothes I may be wearing while hunting. Good rig for WT's from a ladder stand. I use Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads over max 4227 load.

Have posted this before. This is my favorite .45 Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
...This is my favorite .45 Colt.

DF

For the life of me, I can't see why...

wink

Very nicely thought out and executed. The Dragoon grip doesn't seem to get much love on heavy kickers with the Bisley grips getting all the attention these days but I've always liked them in the SBH, they've never whacked my knuckle with the heaviest loads and the square back guard adds some visual niceness.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by John_Havard
How does the flattop grip compare with the Bisley grip offered by Ruger? I see a Bisley 45 with case colored frame from Lipsey's (which I really like) with the only downside being that it's barrel is 5.5" instead of around 4.5". I could live with the longer barrel depending on the grip. I had a Bisley 480 from Ruger and did not like the combination of the round and the grip. Perhaps in a lesser/lighter round the Bisley would be good? My middle finger got pulverized shooting the 480 Bisley to the point it was downright unpleasant.

I had a Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt that beat my knuckle mercilessly! And I wear an extra large glove!
I bought a standard Blackhawk (against all the nay-sayers advice) and liked it so much, I sent it to Bowen for upgrades, and tuning.
It may not go to the grave with me, but it'll likely be with me up until then.

Most folk seem to like the Bisley grip for recoil but I’m in the opposite camp as well. The old plow handle grip, to me, does a much better job with heavy loads. At least in so far as making them comfortable.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MadMooner
How does the flattop grip compare with the Bisley grip offered by Ruger? I see a Bisley 45 with case colored frame from Lipsey's (which I really like) with the only downside being that it's barrel is 5.5" instead of around 4.5". I could live with the longer barrel depending on the grip. I had a Bisley 480 from Ruger and did not like the combination of the round and the grip. Perhaps in a lesser/lighter round the Bisley would be good? My middle finger got pulverized shooting the 480 Bisley to the point it was downright unpleasant.

I had a Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt that beat my knuckle mercilessly! And I wear an extra large glove!
I bought a standard Blackhawk (against all the nay-sayers advice) and liked it so much, I sent it to Bowen for upgrades, and tuning.
It may not go to the grave with me, but it'll likely be with me up until then.

Most folk seem to like the Bisley grip for recoil but I’m in the opposite camp as well. The old plow handle grip, to me, does a much better job with heavy loads. At least in so far as making them comfortable.

The SBH grip is comfortable for me. I also like the Bisley but think the FA may be the best one yet.

IMO, Elmer's #5 sorta set up the Ruger Bisley, although a bit different from the #5.

Here is a Bill Grover Longhorn Arms #5, a copy of Elmer's #5.

Then a custom Jim Stroh Ruger Bisley I traded for.

And last, a FA 97 in .357.

One can see the grips compared.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

John, if you carefully analyze the 4 different grip styles I posted, you may see that the SBH may have more middle finger/knuckle clearance than the others.

And, it depends on how you grip the gun. Some wrap their hands around the grip, such that the middle knuckle isn't directly behind the trigger guard. I tend to grip such that my knuckle is just about in line with the back of the trigger guard.

Now, I don't have (or want) a .454, 480, etc., just shoot full house .45 Colt loads. I don't get my knuckle busted with the SBH shooting max loads.

In the .357 FA, I'm shooting full house 170 gr. Gold Dots. I needed a taller front sight with the heavy bullets, FA knew exactly which one. The retrofit was easy with an Allen wrench. That load is equal in power to a 10mm and I prefer it to my 10mm Glock. No knuckle busting.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/12/18.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Dirtfarmer. I like the idea of having a bit more room between my middle finger and the back of the trigger guard. Having my middle finger bashed like it's being hit with a hammer each time I pull the trigger takes all the fun out of shooting.

Based on a bit more online research as well as reading the preceding posts with great interest I'm leaning strongly in favor of the FA 97. What I really want is one with a 4 1/2" +/- octagonal barrel and express sights. If I have to order one what's the general consensus on delivery/turnaround time?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Based on a bit more online research as well as reading the preceding posts with great interest I'm leaning strongly in favor of the FA 97. What I really want is one with a 4 1/2" +/- octagonal barrel and express sights. If I have to order one what's the general consensus on delivery/turnaround time?

FA is pretty efficient, don't know about turnaround time. Their stuff isn't cheap, but very well done. And, as I noted, their CS is excellent.

They do know their stuff. Give them a call.

The gun you describe is super nice. I like the octagonal barrel and 4 1/2" is a great carry length, very handy.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I called FA a couple years ago to check on delivery time since I'd saved up the loot. They quoted me 14 months. I decided it wasn't worth that much wait to me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
May find one on line from one of the brokers, like Gunsamerica, etc.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I had one just like it; shot high and left. Sold it.

Them Italians are hit and miss. I have another that is wicked accurate.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear

I had one just like it; shot high and left. Sold it.

Them Italians are hit and miss. I have another that is wicked accurate.

When I was in the cowboy action game, I got an action wrench and barrel vice to adjust the POI. Shooting high is a problem, L vs R can be handled.

Shooting low, just cut some off the front sigiht.

Sometimes changing a load can influence POI.

DF

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Depends. My old Cattleman purchased by me around 1988 shot left.

My new one is dead on. Not high, low, left, or right. I like it.

How tight the group is will depend on the load. This group is from some cheap, FMJ, .45 ACP range ammo at 15 yards from off hand (I have a .45 Colt cylinder for it, too). You can cover it with the palm of your hand. I'd say that's good enough for government work.

PS In Hickok45's hands, I'm sure it could ring the gong at 80 yards pretty regular.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The SBH grip is comfortable for me. I also like the Bisley but think the FA may be the best one yet.

IMO, Elmer's #5 sorta set up the Ruger Bisley, although a bit different from the #5.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Jim Stroh's a beauty. Love those stags on it, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Jim Stroh's a beauty. Love those stags on it, too.

Yeah, Jim's a master craftsman.

I enjoyed working with him. I did the stags with medallions on that one, as well. Jim had rosewood grips, which are nice, just like stag better.

The line bored SBH with Shilen barrel will out shoot the Bisley, also a .45 Colt. It's been slicked up, but otherwise just a factory gun.

25 yds off a bag with SWC 255's and 4227.

BTW, FA's are reportedly line bored and will shoot with the best custom Rugers.

DF

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

FA is pretty efficient, don't know about turnaround time. Their stuff isn't cheap, but very well done. And, as I noted, their CS is excellent.

They do know their stuff. Give them a call.

The gun you describe is super nice. I like the octagonal barrel and 4 1/2" is a great carry length, very handy. DF

Here's my 4 1/4" Oct Bbld FA97 in .45 Colt. I lucked out and got it used -- I've put in excess of 25,000 rnds thru it. Perfect size for me and can be loaded from mild to wild.

[Linked Image]

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 11/12/18.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 25 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,881
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.