Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by REDVANES
All kidding aside, this is not a guided hunt... it’s a DIY drop hunt. I couldn’t give 2 [bleep] what anybody thinks of what rifle I pull out of my case when We land at our campsite. I know my capabilities as a hunter and shooter. I’m pinching pennies, working side jobs and doing everything in my power to make this hunt happen for my father and I. It will be 3-1/2 years of saving and planning the trip for a lifelong dream to come true.

All the more reason to skip buying a new rifle in my opinion. There are a number of things that can improve a moose hunt. A good binocular, top quality rain gear, comfortable/durable boots, a comfortable sleeping pad/bag, hunting partner/s with a strong back all jump to mind. A particular rifle may contribute to your enjoyment, but within broad parameters it isn't the most essential piece of equipment to upgrade. Ultimately you ought to do what you want, but don't confuse what you want with what you need to reliably kill moose...

^^^ This is absolutely the best advice you have gotten yet, including mine.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 2 cents...

The first two moose and Grizzly I killed were with a 300 WM, that, as a newbie, I assumed I needed. The last 25 or so moose and Grizzlies were killed with some sort of a 308 or 30-06. Less weight, less recoil, less noise, but absolutely no less killing. I wouldn't get too stuck on a particular cartridge. If you're getting a new rifle, I'd suggest getting one you know you'll enjoy shooting, and carrying in the field, for everything you'll want to do with it. If that's a 300 WM, it will work fine, but it does come with the drawbacks mentioned above, with no other benefit that I could ever see in actual use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed moose with 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 30-30, 30-06, 340 WTBY, 375 H&H and 375/350 Rem Mag, 358 Win and Norma, 45-70; I've killed them from <100 yards to >500; I've used rifles that were too heavy, too long, too clunky; I've used bullets that were 'inadequate' (Gamekings) and bullets that were 'too hard' (Barnes X) - and everything in between.......there are many ways to get the job done. Some hunts were almost too easy, some quite the opposite. (The animals were never too small. wink ) But I've never been on a hunt where the plain old standard 30-06 with any decent bullet was too much, not enough, too long, too heavy. Granted a 6.5 will get the job done most of the time most likely, but I have yet to see a bullet/cartridge combination that a moose can't stop.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anymore I grab my 270 winchester. Close second is my 06...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S

We know why you always grab your .270......

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I built a 338-06 savage axis for moose in New England, will be shooting a 200gr Hornady interlock or a 225gr Sierra pro hunter bullet. Close to magnum performance without the recoil.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by 79S

We know why you always grab your .270......

Cause you are gay???

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
All kidding aside, this is not a guided hunt... it’s a DIY drop hunt. I couldn’t give 2 [bleep] what anybody thinks of what rifle I pull out of my case when We land at our campsite. I know my capabilities as a hunter and shooter. I’m pinching pennies, working side jobs and doing everything in my power to make this hunt happen for my father and I. It will be 3-1/2 years of saving and planning the trip for a lifelong dream to come true.

All the more reason to skip buying a new rifle in my opinion. There are a number of things that can improve a moose hunt. A good binocular, top quality rain gear, comfortable/durable boots, a comfortable sleeping pad/bag, hunting partner/s with a strong back all jump to mind. A particular rifle may contribute to your enjoyment, but within broad parameters it isn't the most essential piece of equipment to upgrade. Ultimately you ought to do what you want, but don't confuse what you want with what you need to reliably kill moose...

All I can say is home run.

And since he doesn't care, why is he asking. LOL.

Although I can add, if you REALLY know your capabilities as a hunter and shooter then you know what you need to take and how to use it.

IF I were going on a TROPHY only hunt, I'd likely take the biggest baddest I had. Just so I didhn't have to turn down a tough angle or a longer shot. In the meantime even the biggest bulls I've seen, but have not managed a clean shot at, have not been past 300 yards and generally under 150. Doesn't take much really... other than a clear shot and the right bullet.

Getting the clear shot sometimes takes good optics to pick the hole.

One of the optics things I have said and will say again, if you can't see em, you can't shoot em. I"d rather have top line optics, and a H/R single shot than a fancy bolt gun with a dull scope, and carry a dull set of binocs.

Lastly, if you can't walk, or you are wet and cold, good luck holding that uber mag still enough to make a shot.

All of this from a person that's used everything from about the smallest round you can think of up to 50 bmg on simple deer.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495

Although I can add, if you REALLY know your capabilities as a hunter and shooter then you know what you need to take and how to use it.

IF I were going on a TROPHY only hunt, I'd likely take the biggest baddest I had. Just so I didhn't have to turn down a tough angle or a longer shot. In the meantime even the biggest bulls I've seen, but have not managed a clean shot at, have not been past 300 yards and generally under 150. Doesn't take much really... other than a clear shot and the right bullet.

One of the optics things I have said and will say again, if you can't see em, you can't shoot em. I"d rather have top line optics, and a H/R single shot than a fancy bolt gun with a dull scope, and carry a dull set of binocs.

Lastly, if you can't walk, or you are wet and cold, good luck holding that uber mag still enough to make a shot.

All of this from a person that's used everything from about the smallest round you can think of up to 50 bmg on simple deer.....

You might make a sourdough someday! LOL.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you gotta love somebody who asks a question, gets solid answers from many different people who have been there/done that and then says "I don't care what you say I'm doing whatever I wanted to anyway."

If the OP wants to buy a new rifle, then go for it. I've never tried to talk anyone out of buying more guns, but don't go pretending you need one to kill a moose.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
LRX RUM ALASKA MOOSE RIFLE, what is that? Wow that sounds wicked! Kinda scares me......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/14/18.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
you gotta love somebody who asks a question, gets solid answers from many different people who have been there/done that and then says "I don't care what you say I'm doing whatever I wanted to anyway."

Known as the JeffyZero syndrome.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
LRX RUM ALASKA MOOSE RIFLE, what is that? Wow that sounds wicked! Kinda scares me......

Isn't that what they drank on that strip barge?

Last edited by Tejano; 11/14/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

You might make a sourdough someday! LOL.

I was thinking cheechacko

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

If the OP wants to buy a new rifle, then go for it. I've never tried to talk anyone out of buying more guns, but don't go pretending you need one to kill a moose.

In defense of the OP people are answering questions that weren't asked. He's trying to decide between a .300 Win or RUM and people are suggesting other cartridges, rain gear, packs, boots and whatever else they feel like without knowing anything at all about what he already has. I'd dismiss people's opinions too if I asked for a or b and kept getting c for a response.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I was asking about 300 RUM vs 300 WM. Not about 30-06, 270 etc...

I have good optics, so no worries there.

This is a trophy hunt, at least to me it is.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I worked in Alaska I asked everyone I could what caliber they used and it was pretty overwhelming 30-06...one guy used a 300 rum but hated it...I ended up building him a 280 ack...which he killed several moose carabu grizzley goat and several sheep...
I remember one of the guys up there took he 80 year old dad on a float trip probably his last...he took lots of pictures....one in particular I recall was his dad next to a huge raft full of meat and horns...they had 2 huge moose and some carabu...on top of that pile of meat and horns was a well warn old sportrized Springfield 06 topped with a steel tube weaver...the only rifle they took...

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ammoman16

In defense of the OP people are answering questions that weren't asked. He's trying to decide between a .300 Win or RUM and people are suggesting other cartridges, rain gear, packs, boots and whatever else they feel like without knowing anything at all about what he already has. I'd dismiss people's opinions too if I asked for a or b and kept getting c for a response.

DING DING DING! This guy gets it. Thank you kind sir. Funny how these threads turn into a “I know more than you” kind of thing. I was literally chuckling in my tree stand this morning reading the responses, saying to myself, “did these guys even read my original post?”

Trust me, I’m good in gear guys... just wanted opinions on the 2 calibers.

I’m a little baffled that some people told me to take my 6.5 CM for perhaps a once in a lifetime hunt. Not that it won’t work but really? Gotta love the Campfire

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
When I worked in Alaska I asked everyone I could what caliber they used and it was pretty overwhelming 30-06...one guy used a 300 rum but hated it...I ended up building him a 280 ack...which he killed several moose carabu grizzley goat and several sheep...
I remember one of the guys up there took he 80 year old dad on a float trip probably his last...he took lots of pictures....one in particular I recall was his dad next to a huge raft full of meat and horns...they had 2 huge moose and some carabu...on top of that pile of meat and horns was a well warn old sportrized Springfield 06 topped with a steel tube weaver...the only rifle they took...

That’s awesome! Hoping to make some great memories like that for my father and myself

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've owned one 300 RUM and a few 300 Win Mags as well as a few 300 WSM's. The RUM I had was a Rem 700 LSS without a brake and I didn't think the recoil was too bad, but I like that I can get away with a lighter rifle in the Win and WSM with very manageable recoil. To me they are about ideal for elk and moose, especially when hunting in griz country. They also make great deer cartridges. If I had to guess I'd bet around 75% of the deer I have taken have been with one of those 2 cartridges.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.