-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably, although a piece of tape or inner tube to secure the Howa mag in the field ain't much of a modification. The Ruger mags hang down a bit more than what I prefer, but maybe other, shorter ones are available. I think the Howas are lighter than either of the others, if that matters. Can't go far wrong with any of them.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've handled and shot the CZ, the Howa and the Ruger. The Ruger feels the cheapest and roughest by a long shot, the CZ and Howa both feel better made and smooth.

The reality is they all shoot well enough and you wont go wrong choosing any of them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Ruger American. Are these decent, accurate rifles?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/16976.html

I heard a rumor that Ruger will announce a change from the mini-30 mags to AK-style PMAGs at the SHOT Show this year.

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/16/18.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by weagle
I like the Zastava Mini Mausers. I've got a .223 and 7.62x39 and both are great shooters.

The last time that I looked at the current production Zastava rifles the checkering was worse then bad. Have they fixed that yet?

l was thinking that one of the mannlicher stocked mini-Mausers in 7.62x39, specifically the Zastava M85 fullstock, would make a fine woods loafing rifle, but the poor quality of the checkering has made it a non-starter for me so far.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Honest question for you fellas. What is it about the 7.62x39 that fascinates? Every way I look at it there is no particular magic. Odd bore size, 8 ball twist and mediocre ballistic performance. I need a clue.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I was drawn to it because of extremely cheap ammo, and stayed with it because it's fun to shoot.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you don't get it, don't buy one.

Not everything that needs killing needs 3000 fps!

It doesn't do anything better than any other cartridge out there and in fact, in most cases, it does less. But sometimes less is more, or good enough.

Personally I like the 6.5 Grendel better but that doesn't mean I'd give up my CZ 527s in 7.62x39.

For what the Zastava mini Mausers sell for, I'd spend a bit more and get a CZ full sock.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A friend has a American Ranch Rife in 7.62x39, and its his favorite bolt rifle.

I have a Ruger American Ranch in 223/5.56, and thought I'd ask about the range of 7.62x39 options.

I have a Galil ACE in 7.62X39 and usually like to have a bolt gun that shoots the same cartridge as my semi-auto guns.

John Stark.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I looked long and hard at the american ranch in 7.62x39 before I bought the Howa mini, I just couldn't get past how cheap it felt.

At my local gun store the cost difference was about 35 bucks between the Ruger and the Howa.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How much are additional Howa mags?

The American uses mini 30 mags and they’re spendy.

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the American Ranch David. It's a great rifle. If I were to buy a 7.62x39 though, I'd buy a Number One from Darrik.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lotech
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Ruger American. Are these decent, accurate rifles?

Accurate? Almost always surprisingly so. Decent? That's subjective to some degree. They are price point rifles and you know it when you handle them. Aside from some magazine woes that Ruger appears to have worked out, they have been very reliable rifles from what I have read.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The CZs are nice rifles, BUT, in 7.62x39 it seems to have a track record of splitting the stocks at the tang, even when glass-bedded. I'm not a hater, I have four 527s in smaller cartridges, and like them heaps and heaps, but the stock splitting is not a rare thing. Pretty common, in fact.

I'd probably go with the Howa, or try to track down one of those Davidsons Specials in the 77mkII. I like those better than the Americans.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by David_Walter
How much are additional Howa mags?

The American uses mini 30 mags and they’re spendy.

I got mine for $26 plus s/h from here. Cheapest I could find them. I ordered 2 for my 6.5 Grendel since it was going to cost the same either way.
https://www.shieldgroupamt.com/search?q=HPTM30003

EDIT - Looks like they are out of stock now.

Last edited by PA_Probe; 11/16/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Honest question for you fellas. What is it about the 7.62x39 that fascinates? Every way I look at it there is no particular magic. Odd bore size, 8 ball twist and mediocre ballistic performance. I need a clue.

My honest answer is that I really wanted another Grendel, but they were out just then. .30 WCF fans will disagree, but the 7.62 runs pretty close to .30/30 ballistics, and there is a wide variety of ammo, but not as cheap as before. I bough 100 rounds of steel-cased SSTs for my grandson to use, and according to his dad, he shoots it pretty well. It's certainly good enough for deer at 150 yards or so, and it's pleasant to shoot. Actually, the performance is pretty close to what many might load for practice or for kids to shoot with their .308s and '06s. The little Howa handles and points well and is cheap enough that if (when) it gets dropped out of a tree, nobody will get too freaked. When I get it back, I'll tinker with it a bit and might even shoot a deer with it myself.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by z1r

If you don't get it, don't buy one.

Not everything that needs killing needs 3000 fps!

It doesn't do anything better than any other cartridge out there and in fact, in most cases, it does less. But sometimes less is more, or good enough.

Sun will rise in the west before I buy one. It is a remarkably limited cartridge, especially for those that load their own. The rim diameter is unique, as it the bullet diameter, thus is a bit of a narrow focus for hand loaders and one with little industry support here in the USA

Not sure where you're coming from on that 3000 fps thing. I don't have a gun that will do that with anything other than very light for caliber bullets and I have none in my possession.

Less is more, or good enough? No chitt Sherlock? If you can't read the label, it says CCI CB Short.

[Linked Image]

BC on the bullet below is in the .410 range at 1050 fps, sectional density is ,279. I can poke you in the chest at 300 yards at will and local feral swine consider it deplorable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What I do understand about the 7.62x39 round is its limitations. None of the bullets commonly loaded or available for hand loading of the cartridge have significant sectional density or BC numbers. It is not well suited for subsonic work with suppressors for this reason. I am alive today because of its feeble performance. From a performance perspective the lowly .30 M1 Carbine is only a very short step behind with 110 grain bullets and the ancient .30-30 Winchester eats it a new rectum.

The .300 AAC runs circles around it in every regard: Faster/slower/suppressed or barking, heavy or light bullets, take your pick. I don't have one of those either, but I get it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have the Ruger ranch , such a great little gun. Talley light weights , etc. shoots moa easy with Hornady Black. Wouldn’t trade mine for anything.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I think it's a piece of schit cartridge but there is a large variety of cheap ammo.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cheap....I get that part. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (10Glocks, 7887mm08, 44mc, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,449
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.