Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/auth...s-in-last-weeks-fatal-shooting-incident/

This is a terrible story from where I live. Reportedly the hunters were in a parking area. One was loading his rifle. I'm told it was a bolt action .270 Winchester (brand unknown) with detachable magazine. The hunter reportedly inserted the magazine, then closed the bolt, and the rifle fired when the bolt closed. He said his finger was not inside the trigger guard. His friend was standing about 30 feet away, facing away, and was shot in the left back/chest. The rifle has been sent to be analyzed by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to see if it will fire when the bolt is closed, without pressure on the trigger. We all know however that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would have prevented this death. We all know the rules...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad.

And recently a man driving his vehicle was shot when his dog in the back seat discharged a loaded gun in the back seat.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never point the weapon at something you don't want to destroy. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

Another reason to hunt with the weapon cold and the bolt closed on an empty chamber. I've typically always hunted with a hot chamber and safety on, but I am starting to rethink my position.

Regards,

Tom
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never hunt with a hot chamber, why some insist on it is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I never chamber a round while walking in or out of my hunting area. I insist anyone with me do the same. Walking around in the brush with a loaded chamber is also a recipe for disaster. Sadly the shot can’t be called back.😔

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Didn't want to restart the hot vs. cold carry debate...but it seems clear that the same accident could have happened anytime this man chambered a round. Waiting until one sees game to chamber a round won't prevent an accident if one doesn't keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction and doesn't keep the finger off of the trigger until on target an ready to shoot. Hearing about this shooting led me to review and reflect on my own safety practices. Humans are fallible. I think that scrupulous adherence to the 4 Rules is without doubt the way to prevent accidents, whether we choose to carry with a round in the chamber or not. If the 4 Rules are followed it is impossible to accidentally shoot someone.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Quite a few 'accidental' shootings while hunting in MT this year - Hunting Accidents

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by riverdog
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/auth...s-in-last-weeks-fatal-shooting-incident/

This is a terrible story from where I live. Reportedly the hunters were in a parking area. One was loading his rifle. I'm told it was a bolt action .270 Winchester (brand unknown) with detachable magazine. The hunter reportedly inserted the magazine, then closed the bolt, and the rifle fired when the bolt closed. He said his finger was not inside the trigger guard. His friend was standing about 30 feet away, facing away, and was shot in the left back/chest. The rifle has been sent to be analyzed by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to see if it will fire when the bolt is closed, without pressure on the trigger. We all know however that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would have prevented this death. We all know the rules...

So, he shot his buddy 30ft away in the back. Accident, no. Negligent, maybe. Maybe something else.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree, very sad, I cannot imagine the pain this will cause.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Check his and widows cell phone records....

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not good for anyone

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very sad, all way around. Thanks for heads up riverdog. Just down the road from the ranch.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington Model 700?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terribly sad news. Prayers on the way

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WAM

Pathetic.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by WAM

Pathetic.

Perhaps... Stranger things have happened. Guess I have been watching too many Law & Order reruns.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, the difference is, this is a person, a man with a family, and a friend who will have to live with this.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I talked to a long time officer who is involved in the investigation. Like most in his field he is naturally suspicious and assumes the worst. The Sheriff’s Office conducted a homicide investigation and they are still analyzing evidence but there is no indication that this was intentional.

Last edited by riverdog; 11/18/18.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Shot in back 30 feet away, angle of rifle, etc. leads me to believe the perp was the most reckless firearm handler around or worse. Negligent homicide immediately comes to mind. No such thing as an “accident “ like this. Unintentional yes, accidental no. I feel sorry for the families involved.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The finger was never on the trigger after an AD, it's universal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

Same question regarding those who carry a handgun while hunting, or hunt with a handgun.

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We all know the rules...

Tough lesson.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If the 4 Rules are followed it is impossible to accidentally shoot someone.

^

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can't fix stupid.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah, the difference is, this is a person, a man with a family, and a friend who will have to live with this.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ in spades

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very sad, no doubt. A possibly similar fatal accident occurred last Saturday morning on Missouri's opening day of firearms deer season. This happened near a small town in NE MO, about 3/4 mile down the road from my farm where I hunt. Guys were inside their hunting cabin and evidently just getting up at 4am and getting ready for opening morning and the landowner accidentally shot his friend in the chest and the victim died instantly. No details released yet on how it actually happened and you shouldn't have a loaded rifle in your cabin but again, with appropriate muzzle control this too, could have been prevented....

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Remington Model 700?

With a detachable mag? Could be the Walmart Special 780 or whatever it is.

4 rules notwithstanding, chambering a round in the parking lot is just plain stupid.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There are aftermarket kits for those that convert them to a detachable mag.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Broke one of the cardinal rules of safe firearms......Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. When a round is in the chamber has nothing to do with this or any other act of negligence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
When a round is in the chamber has nothing to do with this or any other act of negligence.

Sure it does because people are human and people make mistakes. "The rules" are redundant and in a fatal incident almost always multiple rules are broken. Without even getting into the hot/cold chamber debate when hunting, one of the "rules" more people should pay attention to is, don't load your rifle when you're not hunting and there's no reason to have a round in the chamber. Like before legal shooting hours, in or around a vehicle, and so on.

Sure, you can say that if he'd kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction nothing bad would've happened. But you can say the same about not loading the rifle until there's a reason to.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Remington had a problem with guns firing without touching/pulling the trigger. Google it.
One young kid went to prison for killing his brother. Later released when the
Problem was discovered.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My nephew rode around all hunting season Oct to Jan 1 with a loaded round in the chamber. End of hunting season, uncased his rifle in the house, shot a hole through the wall, killing a 72" big screen TV.

Person in the next town was practicing cycling loaded ammo through the rifle in preparation for deer season. Rifle went off shooting a 30 cal bullet though the length of her house.

One of these persons was a deputy, the second was a former combat marine.

We know better, then we don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

Pathetic.
Perhaps... Stranger things have happened. Guess I have been watching too many Law & Order reruns.
I investigated hunting and boating accidents for 30 years. I always considered the "accident" may not have been accidental at all. Almost all accident investigations involved sorting out the lies that were told by the participants.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
When a round is in the chamber has nothing to do with this or any other act of negligence.

Sure it does because people are human and people make mistakes. "The rules" are redundant and in a fatal incident almost always multiple rules are broken. Without even getting into the hot/cold chamber debate when hunting, one of the "rules" more people should pay attention to is, don't load your rifle when you're not hunting and there's no reason to have a round in the chamber. Like before legal shooting hours, in or around a vehicle, and so on.

Sure, you can say that if he'd kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction nothing bad would've happened. But you can say the same about not loading the rifle until there's a reason to.

Well said, Smoke.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by abbydog
Remington had a problem with guns firing without touching/pulling the trigger. Google it.
One young kid went to prison for killing his brother. Later released when the
Problem was discovered.

Remington has a problem with being the most popular rifle on the continent and originally having an imminently adjustable trigger........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taking your firearms for a walk works just fine in some terrain and for some species and hunting styles, at other times, you need to have a firearm that is ready to shoot on an instant. Debating whether or not you should hunt hot or cold is too situational to be anything but foolishness. If you follow the cardinal rules of firearm safety, it doesn't matter if you hunt hot or cold. Negligent discharges that result it deaths along with any number of other fatal hunting accidents are 100% the result of breaking one or more of the cardinal rules.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I hope it was not intentional.

I'm sorry but my mind generally assumes the worse in these situations. Especially two friends, and the dead one has a wife.

I just cannot fathom how anyone can be so stupid, so sloppy, so distracted, to not have awareness of where the muzzle of his rifle is pointing, while loading.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If I'm hunting with someone else, I insist we both carry cold chamber, or I'm not hunting with them.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I guess if I can’t trust someone to carry a loaded weapon while hunting or load before going hunting, how can I trust them to load and chamber a round when we make contact with game or get to the place where we decide it is safe to load? Is it too much to expect someone to be able to load and carry a firearm without accidental discharge?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's a good question. We all decide for ourselves.

In the case of the OP, the shooter was either incredibly stupid, derelict, and inept.....or he did it on purpose. There's really no other way to that result.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 11/20/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We hunt cold most of the time when carrying rifles.
Rarely so with shotguns.

But the circumstances are also very different.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 2nd young Hunter in the House. I go over in some detail the process of loading and unloading a gun when in and out of the truck. Yes, all it takes is once, SO TOTALLY AVOIDABLE.

Basically, I’ll go on my side, point down and away, you go on your side, point down and away while loading. The same applies to unloading.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
There been 4 deaths here in Michigan in the last week during firearm deer season! one case a 13 year old, shot a 16 year old while loading his gun!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess if I can’t trust someone to carry a loaded weapon while hunting or load before going hunting, how can I trust them to load and chamber a round when we make contact with game or get to the place where we decide it is safe to load?

You should be able to trust your hunting partners to load their rifles safely, and to keep them unloaded until there's a reason to have a round in the chamber.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It even bothers me when folks unload, case their guns and put them in the vehicle w muzzle at the other guy.
Triple check, case it, then put it in w muzzle at you.
Or wait until the other guy is done and out of the way.
Yeah, muzzle at you is bad, but if you totally screw up only you gets killed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BTW, I have seen firearm failures where they went boom with finger off the trigger.
But will agree, most folks have the booger hook on the bang switch and either lie about it, or flat out THOUGHT they didn't.
People have different motor skills and sensations of touch.
Some think off the trigger is also out of the trigger guard.
And some can lay a finger they thought was out of trigger guard, on side of trigger and work the bolt and "click".
Dude of some experience tripped my 600's trigger doing that.
Screamed I set it dangerous.
I was watching and told him his %$#@ finger was on the damn trigger.

Gun was unloaded, triple checked and he was testing trigger, pointed safe direction.
He had never shot a light trigger evidently (under 2#).

Who knows how many times he did that crap w a loaded gun and by sheer luck didn't have a boom.
Obviously of poor habit.

That was a real learning experience for him,

Yes, he bought the rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Rarely so with shotguns.

Maybe where you live they are. Ever try flushing and shooting blacktail bucks in tight cover? Jackrabbits? Elk hunt the Cascades in the hemlocks? No damn way I'm carrying cold. Ever.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this is a very sad story, that rifle should have been pointed down and away from everyone that was poor learning skills and very sad. my brother`s rifle went off once ,by me ,rifle was a 30-30 lever when brother was unloading rifle carelessly and not paying attention,brother thought he was rifleman "Chuck Oconnors ", our DAD slapped him in the back of the head and scolded hard,we never had any safety issues again DAD was a youth gun safety instructor and when that happened he was pissed. maybe this dud had no gun safety training or a father that cared about safety or came from another broken family ? bad sad death that should not have happen the rifle never caused this death poor gun safety caused it !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hookeye
It even bothers me when folks unload, case their guns and put them in the vehicle w muzzle at the other guy.

If a guy can't figure out how to remove ALL the ammo from his gun, that guy should likely get another hobby. If a guy can't figure out how to make his gun impossible to fire w/o human intervention, that guy should likely get another hobby.

Which way do you point your hammer in the toolbox? Toward you, or toward your buddy? Which way to you point the scissors in the drawer? Toward your wife, or your kids?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Remington Model 700?

Detachable mag, so likely not.

NRA Patron
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Rarely so with shotguns.

Maybe where you live they are. Ever try flushing and shooting blacktail bucks in tight cover? Jackrabbits? Elk hunt the Cascades in the hemlocks? No damn way I'm carrying cold. Ever.

Re-read his last sentence.

Ever???? You carry rour rifle in the car with a hot chamber, or in the gun safe? Walking from parking lot to trail head?This is all about WHEN one goes hot chamber.

I don't trust my safety, I should trust yours? Plus your hand position, your muzzle control, your balance on slippery rocks, log, etc WHEN A HOT CHAMBER IS NOT NECESSARY??? Behind my back?

I don't think so.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i've got an old 700 that will do this if the trigger is set too low.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"... We all know however that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would have prevented this death. We all know the rules...

Yes! also, why do you have to load in the parking lot anyway?
muzzle down, not pointing at anything but ground.

sorry to hear this story.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Rarely so with shotguns.

In what way?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by magnum44270
i've got an old 700 that will do this if the trigger is set too low.

One of the downfalls of the Walker trigger is that it is immanently adjustable. I've bought a few M700's--including here on the 'fire--where the sear engagement was dangerously small...

A couple more older M700's probably never had their stocks removed and the underside of the rifle cleaned. The trigger housings were filthy, and PACKED with crud.

Those two situations probably account for 99% of the alleged "accidental discharges".

But few want to hear that.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I talked with one of the investigators today. The rifle was a Browning. Function testing hasn’t been competed yet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

If a guy can't figure out how to remove ALL the ammo from his gun, that guy should likely get another hobby. If a guy can't figure out how to make his gun impossible to fire w/o human intervention, that guy should likely get another hobby.

Which way do you point your hammer in the toolbox? Toward you, or toward your buddy? Which way to you point the scissors in the drawer? Toward your wife, or your kids?

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen on the fire in 15 years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I leave my truck...I'm hunting...w/ a round in the chamber. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bad deal. Should remind us all of rule # 4. NEVER let your muzzle cover anything your not willing to shoot.

That being said, I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber. If it costs me a missed shot, so be it. Just not worth the risk to me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have two husqavarna actions.

When on safe you can open the chamber.

If you open the chamber and close the chamber

It is no longer on safe.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by powdr
When I leave my truck...I'm hunting...w/ a round in the chamber. powdr

You never leave the truck before legal shooting hours?

How about public roads, ever park your truck on the side of a road where (in most states) it's illegal to hunt within a certain distance of the road?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Rifles can discharge after cycling a round without touching the trigger.My model 70 did it when I was cycling it getting ready to shoot an elk. After the elk left, without me getting a shot, I repeated and it fired again.Lucky I had a 2nd rifle along and the Model 70 went to the gunsmith

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
RE this case, I've heard through the grapevine that there is some disagreemen about whether the shooter will be charged...if it turns out there is a malfunction in the rifle perhaps like saddlesore described, then some feel that there wouldn't be charges. Others reportedly believe that whether the rifle malfunctioned or not is irrelevant, because the shooter was negligent.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You do not have to depend upon a safety that may fail. Anything can fail. Close the bolt so that the lugs are not locked into the lug recesses. You can feel this spot if you close the bolt slowly. The bolt will remain in this position. The gun will not fire when you pull the trigger when the bolt is in this position. When you get ready to fire, simply close the bolt. It is easy and quiet. It is also very easy to tell when the bolt is in firing position by the position of the bolt handle. Much easier than trying to look and see if a safety is on or off. I picked this up from another forum. I have been trying that method this hunting season. It appears to be a safe way to hunt. The only issue I have is that I am afraid I will accidentally close the bolt an not realize it, so I am careful to keep an eye on it. The jury is still out as to whether or not this is the best way to go. Try it and see if you want something different. I do not trust a mechanical safety.

Also, I hunt alone. Not that I do not have friends and family that hunt. I simply prefer to hunt alone and be with friends and family around the fire afterwards.

Last edited by Gladesman; 01/09/19.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have several rifles with detachable mags. It seems to me his mistake was having the bolt open when he inserted the mag. Closing the bolt chambers a round just like an internal mag rifle. I typically put the mag in but leave the bolt closed and don't chamber a round until I'm down the trail a ways or entering the woods to start hunting.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I talked with one of the investigators today. The rifle was a Browning. Function testing hasn’t been competed yet.

I had a Browning A-bolt that fired when the bolt was closed with nothing anywhere near the trigger. Was hunting cold, deer came in, chambered a round and it fired as soon as the bolt closed. Sent the gun into Browning and they found the defect and repaired it. So, I know personally that it can happen with a Browning. Don't know if his was same model. Scared the [bleep] out of me when it went off.

He still violated rule #1.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Remington 700 that fired upon closing the bolt and it happened twice, and once when taking it off safety. I installed a Timney trigger/safety.

Last edited by shootbrownelk; 01/09/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Quite often, yes, I carry a shotgun with an empty chamber. Mine is an 870 pump and I've used it for doubles at the range. (Not very successfully, I might add, but the occasional success is addicting.) Picking up the second clay is actually more difficult for me than starting with an empty chamber an picking up the first.

There are lots of times when an empty chamber makes sense for a shotgun. Engaging doves might not be one of them. Laying in a ditch waiting for geese might be (and often has been).

Although we hunt empty chamber most of the time with our rifles, the key word is "most". There are times when having a loaded chamber makes more sense and we choose according to our judgement.

And, although I get no end of grief for it, I do the same with my carry weapon. Most of the time (probably 99.9%) it is unloaded in the chamber. If I lived in a different area my carry habits would adapt accordingly - ther are areas where a loaded chamber would be de rigor.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Quite often, yes, I carry a shotgun with an empty chamber. Mine is an 870 pump and I've used it for doubles at the range. (Not very successfully, I might add, but the occasional success is addicting.) Picking up the second clay is actually more difficult for me than starting with an empty chamber an picking up the first.

There are lots of times when an empty chamber makes sense for a shotgun. Engaging doves might not be one of them. Laying in a ditch waiting for geese might be (and often has been).

Although we hunt empty chamber most of the time with our rifles, the key word is "most". There are times when having a loaded chamber makes more sense and we choose according to our judgement.

And, although I get no end of grief for it, I do the same with my carry weapon. Most of the time (probably 99.9%) it is unloaded in the chamber. If I lived in a different area my carry habits would adapt accordingly - ther are areas where a loaded chamber would be de rigor.

That's a little different answer than you gave the first time you answered this question a few pages back. Have you changed your thinking?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Rarely so with shotguns.

In what way?

First, when we are near the vehicles and have a distance to go to where we will be hunting, both rifles and shotguns are unloaded. But that isn't so much hunting as travel by a different means.

When big game hunting we will often spend the day and return to the vehicle without ever loading the chamber. There have been things like skylined game and game bounding away and offering only a 'Texas heart shot' that have cost me game but I can't think of a single instance where an empty chamber has done so. On the contrary, I can think of many instances where we loaded the chamber in anticipation of a shot opportunity, but even those were mostly dry holes.

Walking the CRP land, harvested crop fields, grasslands or sage for small game is a different story - we load the shotgun chambers before we start. Laying in a ditch waiting for geese, an unloaded chamber works fine. Hunting doves, loaded chamber - I need all the shots the gun will hold.

Years ago I hunted elk with a dude form LA. Last day of the hunt he informed us his safety was broken. We asked if he hunted empty chamber. His response was no, but he kept his finger off the trigger. We never let him hunt with us again.

Much of my career has been spent fixing things that are broken - and there has been no shortage of such work. Mechanical safeties and humans are both prone to failure. An empty chamber is not.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WAM
I never chamber a round while walking in or out of my hunting area. I insist anyone with me do the same. Walking around in the brush with a loaded chamber is also a recipe for disaster. Sadly the shot can’t be called back.😔

Neat trick if you dont sit in a stand to hunt.

Half the season, hunting means walking around in the bush, not sitting in a stand.

Muzzle control is of utmost importance.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It even bothers me when folks unload, case their guns and put them in the vehicle w muzzle at the other guy..

Any gun that is ever pointed at you should be followed by a beating.

I have zero tolerance for poo muzzle control. Loaded, unloaded, I dont GAF. PIOnt it in a safe direction. Every time always.

The rest becomes moot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's a little different answer than you gave the first time you answered this question a few pages back. Have you changed your thinking?

Not at all.

What I said above was I rarely "hunt cold" with a shotgun. I differentiate between "hunting" and "travelling by foot", whether carrying a rifle or shotgun. The two may overlap or I may be doing one or the other, depending on the situation. I don't see any need to have a loaded chamber while laying in a ditch or blind waiting for ducks or geese to come in anymore than when hiking to or from the hunting spots. I'm also hesitant to call waiting time "hunting" time except in the broadest terms. Hunting mode kicks in for me when the ducks or geese are in sight, not when the skies are clear, and there is plenty of time to load the chamber then if conditions warrant.

In any case, I haven't hunted ducks or geese in many (15?) years. Doves are a different story - one in the chamber and safety on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Not at all.

What I said above was I rarely "hunt cold" with a shotgun. I differentiate between "hunting" and "travelling by foot", whether carrying a rifle or shotgun. The two may overlap or I may be doing one or the other, depending on the situation. I don't see any need to have a loaded chamber while laying in a ditch or blind waiting for ducks or geese to come in anymore than when hiking to or from the hunting spots. I'm also hesitant to call waiting time "hunting" time except in the broadest terms. Hunting mode kicks in for me when the ducks or geese are in sight, not when the skies are clear, and there is plenty of time to load the chamber then if conditions warrant.

In any case, I haven't hunted ducks or geese in many (15?) years. Doves are a different story - one in the chamber and safety on.

So, when you sit in a duck blind and you can't see birds flying, you don't consider yourself to be hunting, that's an interesting take on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So, when you sit in a duck blind and you can't see birds flying, you don't consider yourself to be hunting, that's an interesting take on it.

To me its kind of like when I find a spot while elk hunting and decide to wait until late afternoon when I expect the elk to show up. You might fine me eating, sleeping, reading a book, trying to stay warm or just enjoying the view - but there isn't much 'hunting' going on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You wouldn't catch me loafing at the edge of a meadow, stationary, without a round in the chamber during shooting hours. No need for an empty chamber when muzzle control is not an issue and an animal can show up unexpectedly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You wouldn't catch me loafing at the edge of a meadow, stationary, without a round in the chamber during shooting hours. No need for an empty chamber when muzzle control is not an issue and an animal can show up unexpectedly.

Since I started elk hunting in '82 I've spent many hours overlooking a meadow or other area with an empty chamber. Can't think of a single time it has cost me an animal. For that matter, I've watched elk for hours on end with an empty chamber when they were a bit outside my comfort range. In one case from about 11AM to dusk, another from about 9AM to dusk, both resulting in a down elk. Another case we set up on a hillside, listening to the elk in a wooded draw below us. I hiked a mile back to the truck, drove an hour to town, had lunch, and returned to the site where I found Daughter #2 and her hubby sleeping. I joined them in a snooze for a couple hours and he bagged his elk just before dusk. Other cases not so long, some successful, some not, some alone, others with company. In every case, plenty of time to chamber a round and no missed shot opportunities. In yet another case, we were hunting with loaded chambers, as the elk were coming towards us through the trees. My hunting buddy had two misfires (cold/weak firing pin spring) before he bagged his elk. I didn't shoot mine until he was done, and even then I took my time, setting up on sticks and waiting for a full broadside opportunity. No rush at all. You do it your way, we'll do it ours, everyone wins.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, I've also spent many hours watcging animals that were out of range and napping. But those are apples and oranges with respect to setting up in a spot where animals can pass through at any time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I've also spent many hours watcging animals that were out of range and napping. But those are apples and oranges with respect to setting up in a spot where animals can pass through at any time.

I'd say that depends on the situation - including size of the area, type of vegetation, etc. We've sat where you could see elk coming from over a mile away and didnt chamber untill they were under the horizon of the knoll we were sitting on. Ended up passing on a 25 foot shot and taking one at at around 35 yards.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/16/19. Reason: added missing comma

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know 2 out of the last 3 model 700 and model 7s that I have looked at on used gun racks had obviously had the triggers messed with. The pink fingernail polish on one of them was a dead giveaway. People just can't resist. I have an older buddy I hunt with and he'll tell you everyone was messing with the overtravel screw as soon as they bought a 700 back in the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if it was someone who wanted a bench rest trigger on a hunting rifle. I have one rifle like that, with a 9oz Jard trigger. That is only used on the bench or for woodchucks. When I'm hunting with it never is it loaded until it's on the bipod or bags. Then I put a round in the chamber and push the bolt closed, but I will not cam it closed until I have a shot.

But with woodchucks there is no time factor, I can take all the time I need. Not so with big game, especially at the shorter ranges I hunt at. Then I want a five pound trigger. And I never use gloves, clam shell mittens so I can put a bare finger on the trigger. I want to clearly feel that thing.

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/16/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting buddy missed a large bull elk this fall, when he chambered a round and the elk heard it and bolted instantly. If he had a round in the chamber he would be eating elk steaks instead of walmart hamburger. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember what my grand father always said. I rifle without a round it is just another piece of pipe. Treat every firearm as loaded until you prove it is not. Basic rule for all morons. we teach our kids this yet you have some idiot acting in this manner.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

Pathetic.

It's not really that far out there, considering this humdinger of a headline: "Widow Charged With Murder Of Missing Seminole Duck Hunter UPDATE: Denise Williams guilty." (The details of the murder are creepy.)

"UPDATE: Dec. 16, 2018: Denise Williams was found guilty Friday, Dec. 15 in a Tallahassee courtroom of three counts, including first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Her husband, Mike Williams, was killed by Brian Winchester, who had been Mike Williams’ best friend. Denise Williams and Winchester were having an affair and planned the murder. Denise Williams later received $1.75 million in life insurance payments, including a $1 million policy that Winchester sold to his best friend, Mike Williams."

Winchester and Denise Williams were later married, but their contentious split in 2016 led to resolution in the case of Mike Williams, who went missing reportedly during a duck hunting trip on Lake Seminole.

Winchester testified in the case against Denise Williams, and the details of Mike Williams’ murder are bone-chilling. Winchester said he planned to make it look like Williams had drowned by pushing him out of Williams’ duck hunting boat, but Williams did not get dragged underwater by his duck-hunting equipment, as Winchester planned. Winchester said he then shot Williams in the face with a 12-gauge shotgun and dragged his body to shore, put him in the back of his truck and drove back to Tallahassee. He later buried him next to Carr Lake, a small lake also known as Mallard Pond north of Tallahassee."

Link: https://www.gon.com/news/widow-charged-murder-missing-seminole-duck-hunter

Last edited by shankbone; 01/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
I know 2 out of the last 3 model 700 and model 7s that I have looked at on used gun racks had obviously had the triggers messed with. The pink fingernail polish on one of them was a dead giveaway. People just can't resist. I have an older buddy I hunt with and he'll tell you everyone was messing with the overtravel screw as soon as they bought a 700 back in the day.

The old Walker triggers are easy to adjust properly. Problem is, not everyone is qualified to comb their own hair, let alone take on a task of a technical nature.

Basically:
1. Back out the screws a couple turns.
2. Adjust the sear.
3. Adjust the overtravel.
4. Adjust the pull weight.
5. Check for FOR (Fire On Release) issues, readjust if necessary.

Did Daughter's new-to-her 1975 M700 yesterday. (Basically wanted to inspect the trigger for cleanliness and make sure it wasn't susceptible to FOR safety issues and seal the barrel channel.) It had been previously adjusted is my guess, since there was nothing locking the screws in place. (There is now.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remington trigger, the older one's anyway, can be responsibly adjusted to a very nice trigger. But we have to be reasonable. I always considered one major flaw in the Remington 700 design is that the safety is inside the trigger housing. I much prefer the Winchester system where the striker itself is locked. In either case you can't set the sear engagement so fine that it's sitting on a hair. Better to have more engagement and the surfaces glass smooth than little engagement.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ended up passing on a 25 foot shot and taking one at at around 35 yards.

Makes sense to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ended up passing on a 25 foot shot and taking one at at around 35 yards.

Makes sense to me.

It would if you had been there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm sure it would have. I'd have been on the same wavelength within the space/time continuum.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son lost a friend when he was 10 years old because the father of another friend left a loaded rifle on the seat of his pickup. Tragedies like this can be easily avoided by following a few simple safety rules. I think about this every time I go hunting. As a result I always hunt with a cold chamber until I am ready to shoot. If I miss an opportunity, so be it. No animal if worth someone's life.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I quit hunting up by Crater Lake, due to the trigger happy clowns during Elk Season...

I quit after one guy was shot and killed by other hunters, during 3 out of 4 seasons...
( in campfire fashion, NO not one guy killed annually)..

each time It was someone bringing a kill back to his vehicle... and carrying the head and antlers
on a back pack...just walking down a trail...

The last straw for me was when I kicked up a large bull in a heavily wooded creek bed...

all of a sudden I felt as if I was in Vietnam and walked into a Viet Cong Ambush... bullets fly everywhere..
and shots going off up on the hill side where there was a road... 7 different guys blasting away at the Elk..

Road hunters.. one guy stopped and looked, saw the elk, jumped out and started shooting..
other guys come by and saw him shooting so they got out and started shooting...

They quit after I fired a couple of shots over their heads.. me yelling someone is down here didn't seem to phase them....when I got up on the road, they asked if I was down on the creek bed, and I answered yeah...

the tone must have been telling them I was pissed as they back away from me walking by... they had been standing in a circle BSing with 4 pickups parked there....

when I walked passed them, one wise ass asked WTF I was doing down in the creek bed....

"who in the hell do you think kicked that elk up from its bed??"

I elk hunt very little here in Oregon, too many trigger happy morons out there....

still seems like every other year, someone else is shot and killed by some other dipschitts..

not during deer season it seems, always during Elk Season...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Seafire,
Your post above re morons indiscriminately firing at game from the road and elsewhere perfectly describes the reason I seldom if ever hunt popular public lands anymore.
Happy Trails

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hunt wilderness areas in Oregon. Kilt a 4x4 bull just a bit SW of Crater Lake, not far from where Seafire references.

If you hunt near roads, expect to get what you get.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.