Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
I've got you a hell of a bear rifle Beaver, BRNO 98 Mauser in 416 Taylor, Timney trigger, model 70 style two position safety, stock relieved all the way around bottom metal to let the water run through now, or after the ice melts, ALL steel, including scope ring screws are black matte cerakoted, Devcon bedded to a B/C syn stock, express sights dead on at 50 yards with 400gr Hornadys or Partitons, a 1.5-5 Leupold riding in Talley levers will give you a little reach for bear, will also provide 300 yard shooting for elk or moose should the need arise.

The 400gr partitions at 2400 fps fly pretty flat for a good heavy medium bore hunting rifle.

Thanks Gunner. I’m finding the 375 H&H appealing and growing on me...Your Taylor can’t be much fun to shoot when it’s throwing 400gr mice sized projectiles at paper. 🤕😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 11/27/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

For Bear over the years I've collected a few. I have one Sako FS 375 H&H, one Sako Kodiak 375 H&H, one Kimber Talkeetna, one CZ-550 re chambered to 375 Ultra Mag, a couple of 9.3x62 Sako Black Bears (one for the wife) and for you fans of the 338WM a Ruger Guide gun. The Ruger and the Sako FS are my favorites.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I built mine 12-13 years ago and, for my purposes, it has served me admirably. I should mention that it was built to hunt big bears that generally DON'T try to kill you back. But I'd not hesitate to take it after the cranky critters if ever given the opportunity.

Started with a (gasp !!) A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .375 H&H. My smith ran the Weatherby treatment through the chamber. Trigger crisped at 40 oz. Leupold rings and dual dovetail bases steeled on and 6-32's replaced by 8-40's. A bedding job and a Weaver 2-10x38 (for weight more than anything) and a Sims pad on the back. right at 8 1/2 lbs scoped and loaded.

It was a bastage to find a load that suited it. Had loads with an 8 fps E.S. that wouldn't shoot under 4"...……… Finally found that it took a liking to 250 gr SGK's over a hatful of H-414 and would do 5 of them under 1 1/2" at 100.

Took it hunting for the very first time and ended up putting an SGK into the south end of a northbound 7 footer at about 50 yards. came up just one of those little hairs shy of bringing it out his brisket. Crushed him on the spot. The only other bear I got to use it on was a 250-ish pounder that a buddy had started the job on. But the bear had gone into a stand of dark, nearly impenetrable spruce in a VERY pizzed of mood. I went in after him and, once I got down on my belly and lips where I could see, gave him a rough ride til he ceased to breathe.

I would have the utmost faith in this (butt-ugly) rifle in any situation.

[Linked Image]

7’ footer bear...Black, Brown, Griz?
At least you’ve got blood on yours. Some of us are building or own these beauties without ever having the opportunity to fully use it for what it was built for.. Good on you...A-bolt, you say 🧐😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
A rifle dedicated for big bears, I'd be happy with a 21" or 22" bbl'd SS M70 30-06 (Douglas no. 2 contour) with backup open sights, 3X fixed Leupold in detachable mounts, Bansner stock w/ PT&G Al bottom metal. I'd load it with 200 gr Partitions.

Truth of the matter is I do all my hunting in Grizzly country with stuff like the 270 or 308 Win.

I also have no desire to shoot a "big bear" so I suppose the concept is wasted on me...

270????? B.S. You only hunt a 308 😆😎

“Molon Labe”
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have no desire to shoot a "big bear" so I suppose the concept is wasted on me...

I am with you, as I will not say never, but highly unlikely that I will ever hunt a big bear.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RJ308
What is the name of those sights?
Or where can a set be had?
Definitely a cool looking sigh system that looks to be quickly acquired.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
So the consensus seems to be Winchester then...

Nah.
[Linked Image]

Oh, wait, that is a model 70.. What was I thinking... grin

The rifles you post have a look of clean lines, all business, and no-frills...Just flat out kill’n tools. I like them a lot. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For backup/defense a 45-70 guide gun with 430gr gas checks at 1800 fps. If I was hunting where I needed some range, 338 wm with 225 or 250 gr partitions. But normally I just carry a .44 just in case. But we just have little griz smile

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I built mine 12-13 years ago and, for my purposes, it has served me admirably. I should mention that it was built to hunt big bears that generally DON'T try to kill you back. But I'd not hesitate to take it after the cranky critters if ever given the opportunity.

Started with a (gasp !!) A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .375 H&H. My smith ran the Weatherby treatment through the chamber. Trigger crisped at 40 oz. Leupold rings and dual dovetail bases steeled on and 6-32's replaced by 8-40's. A bedding job and a Weaver 2-10x38 (for weight more than anything) and a Sims pad on the back. right at 8 1/2 lbs scoped and loaded.

It was a bastage to find a load that suited it. Had loads with an 8 fps E.S. that wouldn't shoot under 4"...……… Finally found that it took a liking to 250 gr SGK's over a hatful of H-414 and would do 5 of them under 1 1/2" at 100.

Took it hunting for the very first time and ended up putting an SGK into the south end of a northbound 7 footer at about 50 yards. came up just one of those little hairs shy of bringing it out his brisket. Crushed him on the spot. The only other bear I got to use it on was a 250-ish pounder that a buddy had started the job on. But the bear had gone into a stand of dark, nearly impenetrable spruce in a VERY pizzed of mood. I went in after him and, once I got down on my belly and lips where I could see, gave him a rough ride til he ceased to breathe.

I would have the utmost faith in this (butt-ugly) rifle in any situation.

[Linked Image]

7’ footer bear...Black, Brown, Griz?
At least you’ve got blood on yours. Some of us are building or own these beauties without ever having the opportunity to fully use it for what it was built for.. Good on you...A-bolt, you say 🧐😎

Black.

Yep. A-Bolt.

I've read and heard more schmack talked about the red-headed step-rifle over the years than I can relate. My rifle has been pushed ahead of me through MILES of spruce needles, snow, mud, bear chit and about any other woods material one can name. 100% of our bear hunting is organized drives. We (the pushers) crawl through and under crapholes that a rabbit would look at, say "f that" and go around. In all honesty, the gun has never offered one hiccup of any sort. Maybe some guys have gotten bad ones. I ain't one of them.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're the dude paying the guide to get you onto a big bear you're also paying the guide to back you up. In that event anything like a 30.06 with a reasonable projectile would be fine. But if I'm self-guided (like the two I've killed myself) I'd want nothing less than a 375 H&H. NONE of the photos I've seen attached to this thread save one show anything approaching a "big" bear. A big boar can weigh in excess of 1500# in the fall. Until you've killed one personally it's damned hard to imagine just how powerful and vengeful they can be.

If I were a sport paying Phil to guide me I'd use a .243 with 120 grain bullets and let him back me up with his 9mm pistol - just kidding. If I'm hunting by myself and not relying on a guide to back me up I'd have either a 375 or 416 with a 1-5X scope (in focus half-way down the barrel) loaded with stout pills.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's the noggin from the bigger of the two blackies. He went 21-15" B&C Weatherby cartridge for scale.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a weatherby vanguard dangerous game rifle with a leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 mounted with Talley quick release rings. That’s my bear gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I have a weatherby vanguard dangerous game rifle with a leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 mounted with Talley quick release rings. That’s my bear gun.

There's lots of worse choices, for sure.

Junior just got him a new Vanguard II Synthetic .375 H&H a few weeks ago. He zeroed it with the factory irons at 75 yards with some Hornady factory loads and it grouped very well.

Few weeks it'll be off to our smith. The reamer that did mine hasn't seen any action since (go figure) and it's ready to make the guy some more money. Probably get his Vanguard set up similarly to my rifle. If it's a working system, go with it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's the noggin from the bigger of the two blackies. He went 21-15" B&C Weatherby cartridge for scale.

[Linked Image]

That’s a very nice black bear...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John_Havard
If you're the dude paying the guide to get you onto a big bear you're also paying the guide to back you up. In that event anything like a 30.06 with a reasonable projectile would be fine. But if I'm self-guided (like the two I've killed myself) I'd want nothing less than a 375 H&H. NONE of the photos I've seen attached to this thread save one show anything approaching a "big" bear. A big boar can weigh in excess of 1500# in the fall. Until you've killed one personally it's damned hard to imagine just how powerful and vengeful they can be.

If I were a sport paying Phil to guide me I'd use a .243 with 120 grain bullets and let him back me up with his 9mm pistol - just kidding. If I'm hunting by myself and not relying on a guide to back me up I'd have either a 375 or 416 with a 1-5X scope (in focus half-way down the barrel) loaded with stout pills.

JH, I’m guessing here, but the lack of big bear pictures might be because of the cost associated with doing a guided hunt in bear-zilla land; Kodiak, Afognak or Raspberry Island maybe. I imagine it’s a small fortune to hunt a 900lb to 1000lb pound bear. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10

[Linked Image]

That’s a very nice black bear...😎

Thank you, sir.

Here's a field pic...……

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=SCGunNut]Highly doubtful I'll ever hunt a big bear, but I have several contenders if he opportunity does arise.

My latest addition is a Sako "Grizzly" 9.3x66 / .370 Sako Mag.

[Linked Image]

Custom .376 Steyr

[Linked Image]

Traditional choice, Husqvarna .358 Norma Mag

[Linked Image][/quote

Nicest trio I've seen in a long time!

Last edited by waterrat; 11/27/18. Reason: need to comment

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beaver10, you're right - it's expensive to hunt with a guide. I was a resident of Alaska for just under 20 years and hunted Afognak Island, Kodiak Island, and the Alaska Peninsula a total fo 6 times for brown bear (DIY hunts) and personally killed two. I participated in the killing of 3 more. That does not make me an expert but the point remains - until you've actually seen and killed a big bear then what it takes is hard to imagine. A well-placed shot from a .308 Winchester will kill a big bear. But if the [bleep] hits the fan and killing at close range is required then a big hole in the end of the barrel is a source of comfort. If I were to hunt big bears again on my own I'd carry a 20mm chain gun if I could (or I'd have Phil back me up).

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Dam, thought Ruger had the bear gun market cornered Jim !! That Sako grizzly looks about perfect.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
First off, let me confess that I have never, as yet, hunted bears. I have on several occasions designed my fantasy moose/bear rifle. What I find curious is there seems to be more preference here for the .375 H&H over the .375 Ruger cartridge. Is this simply because Winchester does not offer this chambering in their rifles? I am really partial to a M-70 as my favorite .30-06 deer rifle. From what I have heard and read, the Ruger version chambering is superior to the H&H with the same performance. This is why a stainless steel Montana Rifle Company with synthetic stock, iron sights, quick detachable mounts, Nightforce illuminated reticle scope would seem ideal to me. Even better would be the same if offered in an all weather version Winchester M-70 with a 20 or 22 inch barrel. It really seems to be a shame that Ruger discontinued the Alaskan. It seemed to me pretty much the perfect bear/moose rifle. Am I missing something here?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.