Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m in the market for a set of dies for my .223.
I’ve been loading, single stage RCBS, since the mid 60’s and the process I loath is lubing cases....

Does anyone make a carbide or other die that eliminates the lubing process?
I know the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press apparently works around that issue, some how.

I see Hornady has a titanium nitrate die for pistols..... anything out there I’m missing?
Thanks, in advance 👍

Last edited by Blacktail53; 11/27/18.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I grew up using the rcbs pine tar pad to lube cases. What a mess.

Hornady one shot spray lube is all I’ve used the last few years. Love it

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I’ve been loading, single stage RCBS, since the mid 60’s and the process I loath is lubing cases....

I know the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press apparently works around that issue, some how.

I see Hornady has a titanium nitrate die for pistols..... anything out there I’m missing?
Thanks, in advance 👍

Use the Lee case sizing lube. Mix it with a bottle isopropyl alcohol shake well and put in a spray bottle, set your brass up in a load block and spray the cases well, let the alcohol evaporate and your ready to load. No cleanup involved either.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Dillon
Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only full-length resize once. After that it's neck sizing only with a carbide expander until the bolt starts closing hard.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Originally Posted by Dillon
Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit...

Thank you.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Dillon Carbide size die and it's great, but I'd go Redding Type S FL and Lanolin/Alcohol lube sooner than buy another.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Higbean, do you find lubing the brass to be necessary using those dies?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try Imperial sizing wax. I think Redding owns it now.
One swipe across the can is enough to mine 4 or 5 cases.
If you can tell it is on your finger by the lubrication against the case, you have enough.
If you start to get too cheap with it, you will feel increased resistance in the press.
But, it increases gradually, no suddenly stuck case.

Used as above, there is no buildup, and it's the only lube my dumbass doesn't dent shoulders with.

It wipes off easy, and seems to somewhat protect cases from corrosion.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, in advance 👍

How many rounds will you be loading at a time Do you have a large tumbler?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Higbean, do you find lubing the brass to be necessary using those dies?

I don't know if I'd say necessary, but a bit of lube just makes the 550 run a bunch smoother.

I have actually stuck a piece of brass in the carbide die not letting the One Shot sit long enough for the alcohol to vapor off.

I unseated the carbide piece removing it too, which was kinda cool.

Note to self....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I load several thousand .223 rounds each year.

Hornady one shot has never let me down.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Thanks, in advance 👍

How many rounds will you be loading at a time Do you have a large tumbler?

50-100 rounds at a time. I’m not a high volume shooter, nor am I using an autoloader.
Sounds like I’m going to be stuck with lubing.
Maybe use a full length die backed off to neck size or a type S collet die (which I know nothing about)....
Use full length as needed. A tumbler to clean case after sizing......

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I load several thousand .223 rounds each year.

Hornady one shot has never let me down.

Yep, put a hundred or so in a quart Ziploc, spray, zip shut, tumble by hand for bit, then dump them out and let dry for a minute or two.
I also will have some Imperial wax and tap a finger on it every now and them.
Dipping one now and then into Imperial case neck lube graphite will ease lifting the press handle and slow case lengthening

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50- 100 cases can be cleaned quickly with paper towels.

Lubing ? Cut some 3 X 3 inch flannel patches 6-8 or use GI patches if you have some. Apply a goodly amount of lube to patches and toss them into a big covered bowl or a shoe box with your brass and shake the heck out of them for a minute or two.

Press handle will almost fall down and your fingers are clean as a whistle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use bushing neck dies and graphite......Redding sells a little container with graphite and small ceramic bb's to keep it mixed up.
Just dip the neck in as you go.
Every 5-6 reloads I FL size...for that I rub a little Imperial wax on the body and dip the neck in graphite as I go.
Wipe the cases off with a rag when you're done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[ type S collet die.

I think you mean this.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/118-type-s-bushing-dies

Segregate brass by manufacturer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, in advance 👍

I don't know of a carbide die for .223. I lube my .223 cases with the RCBS glycerin lube. I put 200 cases in a plastic gallon bag and put in a small amount of glycerin lube. I then stir the bag around to spread the lube. If I have time I do it 24 hours before I resize and the lube will creep over the brass that didn't get lube placed on it. If I don't have 24 hours it takes a little more lube but I stir the brass around in the bag to get it all covered.

I stopped using the pad years ago and started using the plastic gallon bag. I even keep the bag since it has some lube in it for the next time I want to resize some brass. I put the bag in a plastic jar that is air tight. After resizing the brass I spray it with some window cleaner in a plastic coffee can and rinse it in hot water about 5 minutes later. This cleans up the brass nicely. Separate out the brass from the water and let it dry. I have an old metal coffee can and I put the can on a small oil heater and let it dry over night. In the summer I put the brass in a plastic coffee can and let it set outside in the sun.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

I don't know of a carbide die for .223. I lube my .223 cases with the RCBS glycerin lube. I put 200 cases in a plastic gallon bag and put in a small amount of glycerin lube. I then stir the bag around to spread the lube. If I have time I do it 24 hours before I resize and the lube will creep over the brass that didn't get lube placed on it. If I don't have 24 hours it takes a little more lube but I stir the brass around in the bag to get it all covered.

I stopped using the pad years ago and started using the plastic gallon bag. I even keep the bag since it has some lube in it for the next time I want to resize some brass. I put the bag in a plastic jar that is air tight. After resizing the brass I spray it with some window cleaner in a plastic coffee can and rinse it in hot water about 5 minutes later. This cleans up the brass nicely. Separate out the brass from the water and let it dry. I have an old metal coffee can and I put the can on a small oil heater and let it dry over night. In the summer I put the brass in a plastic coffee can and let it set outside in the sun.

Smart man. More than one way to skin a cat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.