Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Meopta Meostar HD, Pro Guide BX4, Nikon HG, Tract Toric UHD, Conquest HD.....all of these I've owned and/or used. All will do what the "alpha" guys do for waaaay less money. I do own and use "alpha" glass, FWIW.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One thing on size vs weight/dimensions - the 8x42 Leicas and Swaros weigh the same as the 10x42 and are almost identical in dimensions - at least according to the respective websites. If true, I see little advantage going with an 8X unless you struggle to hold a 10X still.

I'm going through the same exercise and upgrading my 10+ year old Minox...........

Last edited by bwinters; 11/28/18.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Buy once, cry once....I'd only be looking at the Big 3

+1 I must have bought a dozen binos before i started buying Leicas... If I combined all the previous binos pricewise I could have bought 3 different pairs of alpha binos

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 I must have bought a dozen binos before i started buying Leicas... If I combined all the previous binos pricewise I could have bought 3 different pairs of alpha binos

Yes Sir, some still don't get it....and never will.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The one's that don't get it are the ones that think you have to spend $1500+ to get a fantastic set of hunting binos. Those days are long gone.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
If you do not want to tripod mount then I suggest you do not go over 10x.

This^^^^^^^^^^^ and even then, some people have a little trouble with 10's, but I love 'em. And you wouldn't want anything bigger hanging around your neck, even with a harness.

But if you're head hunting, you still need a spotting scope, just no way around it.

I have Lieca's & they are great, but lots of good glass from Zeiss & Swarovoski as well..............lots of personal preference, timing & budget involved.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The one's that don't get it are the ones that think you have to spend $1500+ to get a fantastic set of hunting binos. Those days are long gone.

The Big 3 should be going out of business any day now lol

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Nobody said you shouldn't spend the big bucks if you can afford it and want to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Same here. Now I own a set of Zeiss Victory that I will probably never part with.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Good try but I never said that. I own Swaro and Leica as well. The fact is that the sales of top end, high $$$ glass is miniscule in comparison to mid range, high performing binoculars, i.e. Toric, Conquest HD, Meostar HD, HG, etc.

FYI, Leica was close to filing bankruptcy already about 20 years ago.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Nobody said you shouldn't spend the big bucks if you can afford it and want to.

No,,,but implying those that do choose to buy Alpha products, are somewhat foolish or uneducated consumers because of today's "new kids on the block" is lol.

There are many levels of optics budgets available, along with a multitude of choices based on needs in the field. Each person chooses what fit's his budget and provides the tool to accomplish the task. Arguing brands or even models is futile, especially if price isn't part of the equation.

People with a Ford Focus always feel the need to explain why they own a POS, yet I've never met a guy with a BMW explaining why he's stuck with that car.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

No,,,but implying those that do choose to buy Alpha products, are somewhat foolish or uneducated consumers because of today's "new kids on the block" is lol.

There are many levels of optics budgets available, along with a multitude of choices based on needs in the field. Each person chooses what fit's his budget and provides the tool to accomplish the task. Arguing brands or even models is futile, especially if price isn't part of the equation.

People with a Ford Focus always feel the need to explain why they own a POS, yet I've never met a guy with a BMW explaining why he's stuck with that car.

That wasn't the implication, the explicit statement was about those who think one must buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bwana1, you seem to have missed the fact that i own a few alpha binos....slc HD's, Geovids, 10x50 SV's, along with several high performing mid level glass. I'm not implying anything other than the indisputable fact that today's $500-$1000 glass is all anyone, anywhere would ever NEED to hunt and glass successfully in the field and the performance gap is negligible. It will not make a hill of beans difference as far as success goes. I never said otherwise, ever. Believe it or not, when I have my SV's on a tripod, alongside a BX4 Pro Guide HD I can see the same thing through both of them, easily. The SV does it better, but you won't miss anything.

I believe spotting scopes, however, are another matter, and that you do have to pay for performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That wasn't the implication, the explicit statement was about those who think one must buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular.

I appreciate you explaining "the implication" of the statement lol, mind reading 101.

I collect optics, both bino's and spotters,,,and feel no need to defend my purchases nor explain my purchasing choices. I probably have 35k in optics, not counting rifle scopes,,,and if anyone wants to really learn about optics they'll spend time at the bird watching forums.

If you understand and agree with that sentiment, there's no need to drive your post count up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 10 years ago, I bought a set of 10x Leica's from Doug to go Mule Deer hunting in Wyoming. After a couple of years, I sold them and bought a set of Swaro EL in 10X. After a couple more years, I picked up a used 7X Swaro SLC that is a 30mm or somewhere around there. One of the son's uses them and I now use a 8X SLC again with the 30 something objective. The EL's haven't been out of the safe for about 4 years now (won't sell them) as the smaller SLC 8X fits my hunting to a tee. I still hunt timber that is some old growth so I can occasionally see well over 100 yards. Occasionally I will hit the fringes of the timber to check out the fields, the 8X are more than adequate for me to 600 yards on our whitetails.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bwana1, you seem to have missed the fact that i own a few alpha binos....slc HD's, Geovids, 10x50 SV's, along with several high performing mid level glass. I'm not implying anything other than the indisputable fact that today's $500-$1000 glass is all anyone, anywhere would ever NEED to hunt and glass successfully in the field and the performance gap is negligible. It will not make a hill of beans difference as far as success goes. I never said otherwise, ever. Believe it or not, when I have my SV's on a tripod, alongside a BX4 Pro Guide HD I can see the same thing through both of them, easily. The SV does it better, but you won't miss anything.

I believe spotting scopes, however, are another matter, and that you do have to pay for performance.

I agree with most of that, based on how many hours the glass is actually used. An awful lot of quality is also based on one's individual eye sight, if someone's eye sight is subpar them distinguishing detail is off setting optic quality.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
OK, so please be explicit for obtuse old me. Must one buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, so please be explicit for obtuse old me. Must one buy an "alpha" from the big three to get a really good binocular?

Nope, your money buy what you want...and so will I.

Easy

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A: Nope, you won't be explicit.

B: Nope, it isn't necessary to buy an alpha to get a good bino.

The question is still open.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A: Nope, you won't be explicit.

B: Nope, it isn't necessary to buy an alpha to get a good bino.

The question is still open.

ok, argue with yourself, that way you'll always be right....lol

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.