Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 69 of 150 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 149 150
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I do have a .35 Rem in 760 that needs a new home if anyone is interested. PM me if so.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a 35 rem some years ago to convert to 358. The original was sweet. The final product was a bag of headaches. Wish I had never had it converted

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tzone
I do have a .35 Rem in 760 that needs a new home if anyone is interested. PM me if so.

I had one and had it rechambered to 35 Whelen. I gave the smith a dummy round and he throated it properly. I didn't have any problems at all with it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had a 760, traded it in and glad to be gone with it.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My daughter and I both filled or buck tags with my dads 270. 1954 model. I put a scope on itf for the first time ever for my daughter. I was surprised by 2 shots touching at 200 yards a sub 2 inch group 3 shots at 300. Ed k

IC B2

J
jay Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Used an early 60's 760 carbine in 06 to take a 6-point whitetail this year. Shot it a lot prior to the season and was impressed with it's accuracy, had no idea they could shoot that well. Nice woods gun. like it. Jay

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a Remington 760 pump in 30-06 this evening. Son called me from his girlfriends house and said he saw on facebook a 760 at a local gun shop real clean and cheap. I looked and then called them, bought it over the phone. Went to pick it up but NICS check was backed up so I'll get it tomorrow and put up some pics.

I don't know the age, but pre 1970 for sure judging from the rear sight and forend, and metal butttplate. Unmolested, never scoped, no wear on the slide bar or pump tube. One scratch in the finish on the stock, and slight discoloration in the blueing on the receiver and barrel in 2 spots, and I'm sure I can get them out with a good cleaning. Judging from the amount of dust in the muzzle(couldn't see the rifling) I'd venture a guess it hasn't been fired or cleaned in 40 years.

Apparently the guy inherited it, and didn't hunt, and didn't want the gun. Gunshop told him it would be a hard sell because it didn't have a magazine and they set the price accordingly. Seeing I have 3 10 round magazines for it from my other 760 30-06 pump it was a non issue to me. I certainly didn't need it but couldn't pass it up for $250, LMAO.

Incidentally, if anyone has an extra original 4 round magazine for a 30-06 I'd be interested in buying one. Feel free to shoot me a pm with a price.

Edit: The gun looks identical to Hookeyes gun in his post with his buck 8 posts above mine.

Last edited by wink_man; 11/30/18.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Picked the gun up this morning. My $250 760 pump in 30-06, without a magazine.
Common caliber, but couldn't refuse it at that price.
Barrel code is "BMB" if anyone can age it, I'm thinking early 60's. (EDIT Found on barrel code table on Remington Society, appears to have been manufactured Jan. 1965.)
[Linked Image]

Judging from the muzzle, I'd say it hasn't been shot or cleaned in quite a while. Needs a good cleaning and going over.
[Linked Image]

No wear on the slide bars or pump tube, damn few rounds thru it for sure.
I've picked up several guns this way in north Jersey, over the years. Seems guys get tired of hunting deer with a shotgun in Jersey(centerfire rifles not permitted) and have friends that go upstate New York, to the Catskills. So they buy a rifle, sight in in and hunt the Catskills for a year or 2, don't see a deer, complain about the price of the license and stop going. Then the gun either goes up for sale used, or sits in a closet till the person dies and then is sold. I'll take it !!!!!

Last edited by wink_man; 12/01/18.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Google Remington serial numbers and you can find out the year. I did this with my dads and it’s a 1954. Ed k

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, 1965, I have one in .308 with the same style wood and sights. Remington confirmed it as 1965. Congratulations on your find!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Yes, 1965, I have one in .308 with the same style wood and sights. Remington confirmed it as 1965. Congratulations on your find!

Thanks, I'm cleaning it now, actually outside of dust in the barrel, it's not bad, it hasn't seen hardly any use, just dirty, mostly on the outside metal and wood, prolly from sitting in a closet.

I have a set of Weaver pivot mounts and an El Paso Weaver V4.5 variable I'm going to put on it. I was originally going to put that scope on my 760 in .35 Remington, but I really want an El paso Weaver K2.5 with post and crosshair for that gun, just can't find one, but this gun sealed the deal on the V4.5 and I'll keep looking for a clean K2.5 for the 35 Remington.

Garry
Trump won !!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nice score! I paid 500 for my beater in.35 rem (bare rifle), but it does have the .35 rem marked mag.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by hookeye
Nice score! I paid 500 for my beater in.35 rem (bare rifle), but it does have the .35 rem marked mag.

Thanks. I have a .35 also, 1979 vintage and I believe unfired, it also has the .35 Rem marked mag. I'm told the 35 Remington 760's will only feed shells with the magazine marked for the .35 Rem.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice old survivor!

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Basically complete, my 1965 vintage 760 pump. I just have to get a barrel band/swivel stud and magazine and I think I have a line on a magazine. I do have a 10 rounder, but it hangs to far down the bottom of the receiver and will make for a miserable carry.

Gave it a thorough cleaning, trigger group and pins were sticky from cosmoline and not dirty. Barrel wasn't bad either, no copper, more dust than powder residue, I doubt the gun had much more than 10 rounds through it. It was actually dirtier on the outside than the inside from storage and cleaned up nicely.

I mounted a period correct El Paso Weaver V4.5 1.5X4.5 variable on it in the long extinct swing over Weaver Pivot Mounts. Those mounts are superb for the low comb stocks on the 760/742 series of guns. The scope sits low, good cheek weld to stock and swing it aside for a good cheek weld with the irons. And the gun writers back in the day who bashed these mounts claiming they wouldn't hold zero if swung back and forth obviously never tried them to see it their statements were true.

[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What magazine are you looking for?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tzone
What magazine are you looking for?

I'm looking for an original 4 round long magazine, it's a 30-06. I put an add up in the classifieds, someone answered me saying they have one and possibly the post and crosshair scope I'm looking for.

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If I remember when I get home, I'll check to see what I have for mags.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wink_man

I mounted a period correct El Paso Weaver V4.5 1.5X4.5 variable on it in the long extinct swing over Weaver Pivot Mounts. Those mounts are superb for the low comb stocks on the 760/742 series of guns. The scope sits low, good cheek weld to stock and swing it aside for a good cheek weld with the irons. And the gun writers back in the day who bashed these mounts claiming they wouldn't hold zero if swung back and forth obviously never tried them to see it their statements were true.

wink man: Totally agree with you. I have those old Weaver Pivot mounts on three of my 760/7600's. They are great for bear hunting, especially when you have to trail one into a swamp,that isn't DRT and laying at the bait after the shot.

I've checked the zero after repeatedly flipping the scope off and back on while at the range. Never had a problem on any of my rifles. Some of the old gun geeks AND hunters liked to bash stuff they never actually tried. Especially pump rifles. I wouldn't use them if they didn't do the job year after year.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the old gun geeks AND hunters liked to bash stuff they never actually tried. Especially pump rifles. I wouldn't use them if they didn't do the job year after year.

Your right about the "especially pump rifles" part as well.

Here in Canada, the pump is quite popular in pockets. Ontario and Sask and to a lesser extent here in the east it sees a lot of use. In the rest of the country, hunters snub their nose at this style rifle usually never even tried one. OTOH they don't ever seem to recommend a bolt action shotgun over the 870.

Page 69 of 150 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.