-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife said the dogs have not faired well, she found the golden hiding in the shower after one of the bigger aftershocks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
SERIOUS! Shaking~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fun, aren't they?
You'll never look at earthquakes the same way ever again...even the small ones will get your heart pounding from now on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can't cheat the mountain Pilgrim.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vek
Chinook is an east slope of the Rockies thing.

These days, probably/possibly, but if they are named after Chinook Indians, that seems a bit inland, no?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Fun, aren't they?
You'll never look at earthquakes the same way ever again...even the small ones will get your heart pounding from now on.

Not my first quake and certainly not my first seriously major one either... '64 is still fresh in my memory. But it was probably number two in the hierarchy, all things considered. They do not get my attention as much today as they used to, actually.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Could not recall the name of them adiabatic/katabatic winds. Had to hit up Wikipedia. Basically the same as Santa Ana wknds. Localized name for foehn wind.

[Linked Image]
Pic wouldn't embed for me.

Katabatics are the bad ones here, when the winds develop coming down over a glacier and accelerate because of it... but again, that is likely colloquial and they probably let them happen in the Rockies without ice...

Kinda like yesterday was a James Bond day... Shaken, Not Stirred,,, Alaska style.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Now, the Adiabatics always make me wonder where the evaporative heat loss goes....

wink

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las
My dog has decided to hell with my rules. She IS a lap dog!

She starts barking before I start feeling it.

Here we go - this is the 3rd or 4th, but she's getting used to them now.

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Kinda makes it hard to wrap Tyvek.

Ahhh....the official finished siding choice of Alaska. 😁

He's building in the high rent district, I'm sure they'll be lap siding over the tyvek.

When I was talking to my builder about all the foundation bolts and brackets while our house was going up he said the building code for our winds requires a more robust structure than the seismic code. A have a renewed appreciation for building codes and inspectors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fun, aren't they?

Not my first quake and certainly not my first seriously major one either... '64 is still fresh in my memory. But it was probably number two in the hierarchy, all things considered. They do not get my attention as much today as they used to, actually.

Wasn't here in '64, but agree with Art after having riding out a major quake previously. Once the shaking stops I look around and if all is more or less well I give thanks and go on about my day. I'd say having spent roughly 1/2 my life in Bay Area and the other 1/2 in South Central AK that up here I've felt at least 10 times as many quakes. I'm at the point where once the shaking stops I assess my surroundings and if all is good pretty much shake it off. We had some pretty sizeable aftershakes Friday night. We were watching a movie, I'd here it coming, see the Christmas tree swaying and windows rattling and it didn't even faze me.

Made a grocery run yesterday and was surprised that other than a few cases of cans with dented lids at Costco and a limit of three cases of bottled water you wouldn't have known the day before was a major quake. Did find it curious someone showing up pulling a small u-haul trailer.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just don’t get too complacent.

The Big One is coming.
Or not. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Fun, aren't they?

Wasn't here in '64, but agree with Art after having riding out a major quake previously. Once the shaking stops I look around and if all is more or less well I give thanks and go on about my day. I'd say having spent roughly 1/2 my life in Bay Area and the other 1/2 in South Central AK that up here I've felt at least 10 times as many quakes. I'm at the point where once the shaking stops I assess my surroundings and if all is good pretty much shake it off. We had some pretty sizeable aftershakes Friday night. We were watching a movie, I'd here it coming, see the Christmas tree swaying and windows rattling and it didn't even faze me.

Made a grocery run yesterday and was surprised that other than a few cases of cans with dented lids at Costco and a limit of three cases of bottled water you wouldn't have known the day before was a major quake. Did find it curious someone showing up pulling a small u-haul trailer.

Being in Costco during the shaking i think would have fazed me! All that heavy stuff way up high! Spooky!

Spoke to a friend at Fred Meyer and they seem to have had a bad day, especially the Abbott store... lots of broken pipes... but they got back open within hours.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

The Big One is coming.
Or not. wink

Yup!! I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akpls

The Big One is coming.
Or not. wink

Yup!! I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

Pithy!
wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Kinda makes it hard to wrap Tyvek.

Ahhh....the official finished siding choice of Alaska. 😁

He's building in the high rent district, I'm sure they'll be lap siding over the tyvek.

When I was talking to my builder about all the foundation bolts and brackets while our house was going up he said the building code for our winds requires a more robust structure than the seismic code. A have a renewed appreciation for building codes and inspectors.

In reality, building for all the above, to include floods, doesn't take all that much more, but it does have to be done correctly from the start to finish. And even then, while most survive what they are rated to, some you just can't win.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by akpls
...I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

Amen to that! Down here in coastal British Columbia, we're constantly being told to prepare for the big one. Where I am (inland from Vancouver) the projected damage level is pegged at "moderate", whatever the heck that means. My house is about 10 years old so built to code at the time, but if I were doing it again I'd be asking the architect/engineers if there was anything they'd recommend beyond just the code requirements. I just replaced the pressure tank in my well house and the now have to strap it down so as better to resist falling over. Then there's the stuff I should have done years ago, lilke fastening the tops of the bookcases to the studs...

We've also had a couple of summer fire scares, and the interior of the province has had record wildfires and destruction. The recent destruction of Paradise CA reminded me that next spring I need to finish plumbing in the rooftop sprinklers. Several houses in Paradise that survived were so equipped. I have about 3500 gallons of water stored underground so could dampen down the area around the house pretty well. Also whole-house battery backup and 6kW diesel genny,

Basic life is getting scary....

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A day late perhaps? laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just replaced the pressure tank in my well house and the now have to strap it down so as better to resist falling over.

Talking to lots of folks that had water problems. My water heater had a connection fail from not being strapped properly.

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.