Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I like both. In northern states where I hunt (NY, Mass and a lesser extent VT) there is a very different vibe to the different seasons. In the much longer bow season, there is very little pressure even on public land. You hunt deer as they feed, breed etc, Couple this to the more moderate weather and its a more relaxed season. The gun seasons have much more pressure and even on private lands the deer pretty quickly give up their normal patterns.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wish there were liberal deer seasons like archery open to revolver hunters with open sights only. Most would be held to about 40-60 yards for shots or if really talented perhaps 80 yards. I see the open sighted revolver to be somewhat like archery in its distance challenges and very effective at putting down game. Like archery some would be more proficient than others. Most hunting shows never show the archery disasters that take place or for that matter even rifle screw ups. I do not believe an open sighted revolver should be constituted as a rifle season firearm. Understand now that the 460 S&W and 500 S&W bring in a new breed, but perhaps limiting revolver case length to 1.4" would eliminate that concern. Still hunting in deep woods with a 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 480 Ruger, etc., makes for some great excitement. Should have the opportunity to hunt both revolver and rifle just like the bow hunters get without being restricted to a two week season.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Windfall
........so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter......

WHOA there!!! Thems fightin words!!! If 99% of todays archery hunters didnt have 1. Private land 2. Game cameras 3. Scents/Lures 4. Prime dates(rut) along with all the other tech they use, they couldnt kill a deer let alone find one. I see so many archers on facebook losing deer or requiring dogs to retrieve downed game. So many bad shots.....todays archers for the most part suck at hunting. That said, theyre very effective due to the sheer number of archers, the amount of posted property, the lack of pressure during prime season and abundance of feed.

The majority of deer killed in rifle are shot at ranges well under 100 and more close to archery range than most will admit. We all hear of jerk offs who shouldnt be hunting, both archers and rifleman. But the rifleman I know can rival the best archers in general woodsmanship and knowing their quarry, where long range hunting isnt the norm.

Take your best archer from say Iowa and your average rifleman from the northeast and put them in the mountains, public land, in west virginia for a week and see who comes out on top. Sure as hell wont be the archer.

You are a stupid ....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by Rossimp
I wish there were liberal deer seasons like archery open to revolver hunters with open sights only. Most would be held to about 40-60 yards for shots or if really talented perhaps 80 yards. I see the open sighted revolver to be somewhat like archery in its distance challenges and very effective at putting down game. Like archery some would be more proficient than others. Most hunting shows never show the archery disasters that take place or for that matter even rifle screw ups. I do not believe an open sighted revolver should be constituted as a rifle season firearm. Understand now that the 460 S&W and 500 S&W bring in a new breed, but perhaps limiting revolver case length to 1.4" would eliminate that concern. Still hunting in deep woods with a 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 480 Ruger, etc., makes for some great excitement. Should have the opportunity to hunt both revolver and rifle just like the bow hunters get without being restricted to a two week season.

Fine with me, but you get in line behind the rifle hunters like we have to do with the archers. Seasons would be bow first, then rifle, last handgun.

My way would be you choose your weapon when you buy a license. You get one choice. Would be interesting to see how many bow hunters drop out.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Originally Posted by Rossimp

Fine with me, but you get in line behind the rifle hunters like we have to do with the archers. Seasons would be bow first, then rifle, last handgun.

My way would be you choose your weapon when you buy a license. You get one choice. Would be interesting to see how many bow hunters drop out.

I like that idea!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
........so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter......

WHOA there!!! Thems fightin words!!! If 99% of todays archery hunters didnt have 1. Private land 2. Game cameras 3. Scents/Lures 4. Prime dates(rut) along with all the other tech they use, they couldnt kill a deer let alone find one. I see so many archers on facebook losing deer or requiring dogs to retrieve downed game. So many bad shots.....todays archers for the most part suck at hunting. That said, theyre very effective due to the sheer number of archers, the amount of posted property, the lack of pressure during prime season and abundance of feed.

The majority of deer killed in rifle are shot at ranges well under 100 and more close to archery range than most will admit. We all hear of jerk offs who shouldnt be hunting, both archers and rifleman. But the rifleman I know can rival the best archers in general woodsmanship and knowing their quarry, where long range hunting isnt the norm.

Take your best archer from say Iowa and your average rifleman from the northeast and put them in the mountains, public land, in west virginia for a week and see who comes out on top. Sure as hell wont be the archer.

You are a stupid ....

Really? We added a law to allow dogs to track wounded game. When you can name every whiz bang rager broadhead matherson bow scent snooper clothing and by God lets put your 2yr old daughter in the pic of the buck you lost and had to pay a houndsmen to find your kill you shot at 21 steps we have a problem.

When you post you feelin really bad you made a perfect broadside double lung shot but cant find him what would you do? And 380 people comment dont worry it happens a lot you misjudged the shot it happens to all of us move on theres more buck out there.....we have a problem.

We dont have to mention the numerous pics of deer shot in the ass, forehead, brisket, gut, etc etc found later by dogs. Or the photos of deer posted with puss sacks overgrown around broadheads found while gutting your deer.

Might be worthy to note the amount of weekly photos posted asking what "this" is an its a basic anatomy photo. Most recently pic of lymph nodes and more than 10 people said cancerous nodes, 3 buckshot, and over 30 people stating dont eat its CWD!!

Archers are by far the most stupid hunters ive ever come across, most not fit to hunt. If that makes ME stupid in your small mind so be it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Our Archery season has turned into Crossbow season.

And just like that, shotguns-only turned into sabot slugs and ML season turned into scoped in-line season.

Very few people have the time or desire to be saddled with the inefficient BS.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If this is to be another bash on bow hunters thread, I'm done here.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people think that gun hunting is too easy, so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter. A hunting show can pack more drama into archery hunting to fill up a half hour segment. A crossbow is little more than a rifle with a string inside of 50 yards and is looked at with some amount of disdain by the vertical bow crowd.

Well, not quite, but the second part is certainly true. The same attitude was prevalent when compounds first came out. They'll get over it when they get old or otherwise have trouble shooting their wheel-bows. The hunters in my small circle are deer hunters, and don't care what anyone uses.

I got a crossbow so I could hunt longer and without dodging the crowds on public land. So far the experiment had been a huge success with two down and one more tag to go. Been passing on does with my rifle, but that nonsense stops Thursday. Overall, I think hunter numbers are down where I hunt, and I've seen little or no evidence of deer kills by other hunters, by any method.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

You are a stupid ....

Really? We added a law to allow dogs to track wounded game. When you can name every whiz bang rager broadhead matherson bow scent snooper clothing and by God lets put your 2yr old daughter in the pic of the buck you lost and had to pay a houndsmen to find your kill you shot at 21 steps we have a problem.

When you post you feelin really bad you made a perfect broadside double lung shot but cant find him what would you do? And 380 people comment dont worry it happens a lot you misjudged the shot it happens to all of us move on theres more buck out there.....we have a problem.

We dont have to mention the numerous pics of deer shot in the ass, forehead, brisket, gut, etc etc found later by dogs. Or the photos of deer posted with puss sacks overgrown around broadheads found while gutting your deer.

Might be worthy to note the amount of weekly photos posted asking what "this" is an its a basic anatomy photo. Most recently pic of lymph nodes and more than 10 people said cancerous nodes, 3 buckshot, and over 30 people stating dont eat its CWD!!

Archers are by far the most stupid hunters ive ever come across, most not fit to hunt. If that makes ME stupid in your small mind so be it.

You are. You evidently have never known a good hunter, especially a bowhunter, but you just go ahead and live in your world. You are an elitist snob and you are welcome to your opinion.

I, on the other hand, embrace the outdoors and hunting and enjoy all offered and have killed from 3 steps on the ground, with a homemade recurve all the way out past 800 with a rifle and all kinds of in between. My wife is about as capable. MZ, Shotgun, pistols, bows, you name it, we enjoy it. And we realize their are differences and enjoy those and don't live to b i t c h about others. Well scumlord is a rare exception.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Most people think that gun hunting is too easy, so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter. A hunting show can pack more drama into archery hunting to fill up a half hour segment. A crossbow is little more than a rifle with a string inside of 50 yards and is looked at with some amount of disdain by the vertical bow crowd.

Well, not quite, but the second part is certainly true. The same attitude was prevalent when compounds first came out. They'll get over it when they get old or otherwise have trouble shooting their wheel-bows. The hunters in my small circle are deer hunters, and don't care what anyone uses.

I got a crossbow so I could hunt longer and without dodging the crowds on public land. So far the experiment had been a huge success with two down and one more tag to go. Been passing on does with my rifle, but that nonsense stops Thursday. Overall, I think hunter numbers are down where I hunt, and I've seen little or no evidence of deer kills by other hunters, by any method.

I"ve seen more lost deer by guns, than bows. Simple math would verify that truth too. If anyone would think about it. How many killed by gun, how many killed by archery etc...

Crossbow, check, got it when I injured my shoulder so bad as a volunteer firefighter, that I could not draw my recurve. Trying to save 2 kids in a house fire. Guess how far I've used it? I won't shoot it past the distance that I won't shoot my other bows. Basically 15 steps max. I"m not saying thats what all should do but I'm tired of people not backing others choices and just continually damning each other though we are SUPPOSED to be on the same side.

I believe you agree with me there.

I suspect your circle is small, like ours, because there are not as many good humans out there anymore like there used to be.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

You are a stupid ....

Oh yeah lets go one more since I'm tired and grumpy. We have a trailing dog. A rescue we didn't really want. Turned out great. We have been called all over our county and where we hunt also. Dog has gotten nice tips from some folks. In about 4 years now he has found close to 40 deer. I've not had one single call from a bowhunter. Trust me I know plenty of them, wife and I each have taken over 100 animals with a bow..... My last bow shot went about 30 steps and fell over. No need for a dog.

FWIW I almost enjoy watching the dog work the trails that the gun hunters can't find, and watch him locate the deer for them. But don't fret, we know how to track and trail too, hunted since the early 70s without a dog and learned how.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You are. You evidently have never known a good hunter, especially a bowhunter, but you just go ahead and live in your world. You are an elitist snob and you are welcome to your opinion.

I, on the other hand, embrace the outdoors and hunting and enjoy all offered and have killed from 3 steps on the ground, with a homemade recurve all the way out past 800 with a rifle and all kinds of in between. My wife is about as capable. MZ, Shotgun, pistols, bows, you name it, we enjoy it. And we realize their are differences and enjoy those and don't live to b i t c h about others. Well scumlord is a rare exception.

I know many hunters, including myself, that are excellent hunters. I also know some award winning archers that do NOT hunt, but own a very well known archery business and their opinion echos mine, that the majority if todays archers are inept. My bitch isnt the excellent hunters, theyre a rare breed. Apparently youre too phuggin stupid to understand that. Now if what I said above about 99% of bow hunters today is acceptable to you, youre really one stupid MFer! As to your comment on the numbers of deer lost rifle/bow, of course rifle hunters lose more simply because the number of rifle hunters outweigh archers. Thats just common sense. Which apparently you lack heavily.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oh yeah lets go one more since I'm tired and grumpy. We have a trailing dog. A rescue we didn't really want. Turned out great. We have been called all over our county and where we hunt also. Dog has gotten nice tips from some folks. In about 4 years now he has found close to 40 deer. I've not had one single call from a bowhunter. Trust me I know plenty of them, wife and I each have taken over 100 animals with a bow..... My last bow shot went about 30 steps and fell over. No need for a dog.

FWIW I almost enjoy watching the dog work the trails that the gun hunters can't find, and watch him locate the deer for them. But don't fret, we know how to track and trail too, hunted since the early 70s without a dog and learned how.

40 deer? Thats it??? I can show you a facebook group where ONE man and his dog found close to 60 this year alone! Hunting Pennsylvania Close Group. Check it out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I just never could really like bows. If they made one that went "boom", had recoil and shot copper jacketed arrows 3000 fps I might get interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I just never could really like bows. If they made one that went "boom", had recoil and shot copper jacketed arrows 3000 fps I might get interested.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by moosemike

+1

Me too. Hunting feeds my interest in Rifle shooting, not the other way around.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I live in PA and honestly, I bow hunt just to have more time in the local woods. If I had to pick between rifle and bow hunting, I would definitely pick rifle hunting. Bows/crossbows are as interesting as a shovel to me, but I love being outdoors. Honestly, I’ll bow hunt less next year, I took a morning off this season to go squirrel hunting, and wonder why I got away from small game hunting- had a blast that morning! Whatever keeps me in the woods is what makes me happy though, so I’ll continue to do all of it.

I had a guy from work ask me about bow hunting (a non-hunter), as he said he watched some shows and listened to them talk about it making it seem like a more exciting hunting. I thought about it for a second, and told him I didn’t think that was true. Setting up for archery hunting and getting a closer shot is great, but it’s not like all rifle shots have to be 300+ yards. If you get your jollies from taking a deer at close range, that’s fine, but whether you have a bow, crossbow, or rifle in your hand doesn’t really matter.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just generally dislike the concept of boutique seasons. Ought to be just one season - deer season, pick your poison.
But then the archery Co.s would go out of business.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You would like what they do in VA. The limit is 5 or 6, including 2 or 3 bucks, depending on which side of the Blue Ridge you take them on, and it matters not what you take them with. They still have seasons devoted to different weapons, but you can always drop down to something more challenging. Not quite what you want, but it works pretty well, and their seasons are long, and drawless.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1lesfox, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,649
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.