Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Good link bear. Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And then there is the freezing rain coming down now and for the last 4 or 5 hours down here. Power just came back on..... I imagine iced lines came down somewhere. Sposed to turn to snow tlater tonight , and I have to drive tomorrow. It is SLICK out there!

Someone seems to have it in for us....

The dog plowed into my legs going full speed from behind, on ice, on our walk tonight.. She was "catching up" after a sniff-fest behind us, and as usual came like a streak, using me for an aim point, and could not slow, stop, or change direction. She slipped just going down the deck steps a few minutes ago for a potty break!

Sprained my left wrist when I hit. I hope it is only a sprain.... Could have been worse. Tylenol PM tonight!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

That article looked familiar; I read it again and remembered that the author's opinions (and indeed the author himself) were considered controversial by many, as indicated in the comments. One of the criticisms was that his advice was predicated on different building standards than we have. Don't know what to think myself. Any evidence in the damage up there to support the "triangle of life" theory?

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stuart

That article looked familiar; I read it again and remembered that the author's opinions (and indeed the author himself) were considered controversial by many, as indicated in the comments. One of the criticisms was that his advice was predicated on different building standards than we have. Don't know what to think myself. Any evidence in the damage up there to support the "triangle of life" theory?

No deaths, few seriously damaged buildings and no collapses I am aware of. Building codes in other countries create situations where earthquakes of the same intensity kill hundreds and even thousands and we had zero...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

perfect!!! everyone knows!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by cwh2
Surreal doesnt really describe it, but thats the best word i have.

Anybody needs anything, they need to let me know as we are unscathed and have one of everything. At this point i just feel guilty to have slipped by so easily.

Dittos. Lots of stuff knocked over, few drywall cracks but essentially no damage. Very thankful family, friends and the community came out with no loss of life.

I feel for those who commute from Eagle River and the Valley, they are going to have a nasty commute for quite some time.

I was in the bay area during the '89 quake. I'm hoping two 7.0's in my lifetime covers me for major seismic events for my lifetime.

We live in the Valley, but the wife works in Palmer now, and I am out of country on a contract gig. I am thankful the family is all fine, and thankful I am no longer driving to JBER for work daily at the moment either. The wife said we lost 50% of the TVs in the house, and she has replaced the one in the living room as of today. She said she's done shopping at Wal-Mart as they are price gouging people on TVs. I guess when I get home and we need milk, I'll have to drive a little further to Fred's for it now. My brother in-law and sister in-law are coming up from FL for Christmas, so my brother in-law looks to be having a working vacation now, as he told the wife he would fix all the cracks and paint as needed. I think the wife is going to have a home inspector come in and check the crawl space etc., as we were hoping to sale the place in the next 5 years and buy some property to build on. I'm hoping it's just the cosmetic damage she has sent me pictures of and nothing else.

I've got a quesiton, how many of you have earthquake insurance? I didn't take it out as when we closed on the house in Jul 2014, I was told my deductible would be 20% of the home value. I guess some neighbors have it with USAA and they are saying it only added about $75 a month to their bill and their deductible is 10%. Maybe I'm a high risk, as I we lost our ass in Hurricane Katrina when we lived in Ocean Springs, MS, but USAA did us right I felt in that situation.

Last edited by Hudge; 12/03/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
I do hope our American government helps Alaska with a lot of funds for recovery and just use the funds we don`t need to give away to other countries ! you can bet no other country will help Alaska but us American`s and I do hope we do ! I hope !?????

Will our Alaskan brothers get treated better than,
our Puerto Rican brothers?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las
My dog has decided to hell with my rules. She IS a lap dog!

She starts barking before I start feeling it.

Here we go - this is the 3rd or 4th, but she's getting used to them now.

[Linked Image]

Las,

Great looking pup (even when a bit frightened).

Back.roads are slick today. Came up Campbell Airstrip Road this morning. Of course coming up the first big hill was a car sideways in the road, not going anywhere ('cept over the edge). Fortunately I had a 50# bag of sand and gravel with me, it's the only way I was able to get my rig underway.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a quesiton, how many of you have earthquake insurance?

I did not, but I have learned a couple things since this quake. All damage is tax deductible, right down to a broken plate. And, FEMA is taking claims for those with substantial damage.

I went to look at a fireplace yesterday in eagle river. It had snapped in half, half way up, and had spun about 15 degrees, and was teetering, ready to fall through the roof and into the house. There is major damage out there. I suspect by the end of the week, we'll have a better idea how much.

MOLON LABE

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
First one 7.0 about 13 Kilometers N of Anchorage, 2nd one ~ 6 minutes later, 5.8 about 4.4 kilometers SSE of Anchorage..

Must be all that fracking in Oklahoma. (Rick, where's the sarcasm emoji?)

Ed
Current Earthquake List LINK

Ed, see whaqt happens when you are not in NE Texas!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I did not, but I have learned a couple things since this quake. All damage is tax deductible, right down to a broken plate. And, FEMA is taking claims for those with substantial damage.

I went to look at a fireplace yesterday in eagle river. It had snapped in half, half way up, and had spun about 15 degrees, and was teetering, ready to fall through the roof and into the house. There is major damage out there. I suspect by the end of the week, we'll have a better idea how much.

Virtually no one has earthquake insurance. The premiums are high and the deductibles are higher.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You all take care up there.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I made a claim for the fire damage, but we'll see if they decide to claim it was caused by the earthquake and not covered.
I'm still waiting on an adjuster to call me, but I'd imagine they're pretty busy, and My place is livable so I'm not gonna throw a fit.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Fire? What the hell happened?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
According to our insurance people, fire is covered.

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sirens here all day Friday and Saturday. Stove pipe came apart on wood stoves, would be my bet

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sirens here all day Friday and Saturday. Stove pipe came apart on wood stoves, would be my bet

Good point, I'll take a look before I decide to burn one!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Be careful with FEMA and the wording substantial damage. In a flood zone it often means you can't repair, you have to demo and rebuild to flood height at a minimum. Not sure how that word transfers to earthquakes but I'm just saying.
I've not seen much good from FEMA personally after our worst flood, classed as a 1000 year event instead of a 100 year event IIRC. But some did manage some good out of them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Fire? What the hell happened?

Had something turn on a burner on my stove. My ceramic utensil vase walked onto the stovetop, right on top of said burner.
By the time I got home, everything inside the vase was on fire.
Luckily I got it put out without it spreading but my stove is destroyed, microwave is charred and there's smoke damage that'll require repainting the whole kitchen and replacing a cabinet front. (matching that up will be a royal bitch)

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.