Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I got my first one for 389.00 from sportsmans warehouse, that was a bargain. I got my 6.5creedmoore for 650.00 this past summer, I like it but I probably wouldn't spend more than that on one. Id like one in 300wsm but not for the prices they seem to be going for right now.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Tikka reliably misses throat geometry and mag "latitude",though they "laude" the schittiest DBM in da' bidness...and all upon a single length receiver.

FUNNY schit!

Hint....................

Ya, my Stainless tikka 6.5X55 swede kissing the lands with a 147 eld-m at 3.200 with 8 twist barrel.....Warne Rings and a Fixed 6 Super Chicken isn't no fun at all! The worst part is at $550 for the rifle $45 for Rings and $260 for the super chicken the entire setup cost me $855.

For just $1000 more I could have got a rifle that's 1/2" shorter, uses Creedmoor Lapua brass that cost $40 more per hundred than Swede Lapua Brass and almost shoots as well. I don't even want to bring up the fact that a fella named Form found the tikka platform to be more durable, dependable in bad weather than most every other brand including the Barrett Fieldcraft 😲 When one is roughing Alaskan weather that simple fact alone will trump....coal, throat geometry, etc,etc,etc! In fairness concerning geometry most tikka's dont lines up dotz like a swede. If you were to invite me to ala Alaska hunting I would gladly shoot your critter for you whilst your digging the mud and Frozen snow outta your Crafty rifle's action all while pissing on your trigger to unfreeze it. Just trying to be realistic 😁

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/03/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ruger RAR with AICS footprinted DBM......................

Got one en route for my 9 year old for Christmas- his first CF rifle. Already got the SS 6x to throw on top. I'm thinking he'll be pretty thrilled. I've had too many problems with the RAR CF rotary mags to endorse the original RAR as a utility rifle out of the box, but the AICS bottom "metal" removes my only real beef with the original. I ended up putting my rotary mag RAR in a MDT ESS to get away from the rotary mags and into AICS nirvana. The stupid things just shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tikka makes a good rifle.

But they are pricing themselves out of their market.

At $400 they were a steal.

At$6-700?

I agree 100% and I’ve been a big proponent of the Tikkas. Currently own 3 of them. But they are IMO making the price too high. A SL SS Tikka at SW after Tax is over $800. At Cabelas they’re over $900. It’s a great rifle at $600-$650, but $800-$900 is too much. Even the ones at Whittaker after FFL /background check fees puts it just under $800. Can’t imagine they won’t see a reduction in sales this year with the price increase. Defendants of Tikkas will say we’ll what else would you buy that would compare? If I’m at $800-$900 for a Tikka I’m spending more and getting something else. If a guy wanted to put a Tikka in a Mc Edge now your into that Tikka for $1400 and you still have a plastic trigger guard, and mag. Just not seeing it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Glad I already have 5 as I was thinking the same thing.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teekers remain a poor value.

Literally by design..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I like my Tikka, but I’d vote for my Marlin XL7 for best bang for the buck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too funny!

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best bang for the buck is often used rifles, especially those chambered for non-varmint cartridges. Half my rifles came to me used and you can't tell which were new or used by the way they shoot.

If "bang for the buck" is defined as "bang/cost", then nothing beats a functional rifle that is free. As cost decreases, "bang for the buck" approaches infinity.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikkas are accurate and functional, but I in now way consider them to be a bargain anymore. I’m not paying the current prices for a rifle that (in my opinion) has no soul.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The best bang for the buck is often used rifles, especially those chambered for non-varmint cartridges. Half my rifles came to me used and you can't tell which were new or used by the way they shoot.

THIS

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If a Tikka is not in your price budget the T/C Venture will almost hang with a Tikka in accuracy for several hundred $$ less.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tikka makes a good rifle.

But they are pricing themselves out of their market.

At $400 they were a steal.

At$6-700?

I agree 100% and I’ve been a big proponent of the Tikkas. Currently own 3 of them. But they are IMO making the price too high. A SL SS Tikka at SW after Tax is over $800. At Cabelas they’re over $900. It’s a great rifle at $600-$650, but $800-$900 is too much. Even the ones at Whittaker after FFL /background check fees puts it just under $800. Can’t imagine they won’t see a reduction in sales this year with the price increase. Defendants of Tikkas will say we’ll what else would you buy that would compare? If I’m at $800-$900 for a Tikka I’m spending more and getting something else. If a guy wanted to put a Tikka in a Mc Edge now your into that Tikka for $1400 and you still have a plastic trigger guard, and mag. Just not seeing it.

This is one time I agree with Big Stick.

Tikka's aren't necessarily bad. At old Whittaker pricing, for the trigger, stock and the way they shoot you could overlook the mag length, action length, twist rate, etc.

Now they're approaching $800. If you're looking for a turn-key rifle you're in Browning territory. May not be a favorite here, but they're paying attention with the twist rates and mag lengths for around the same price. They also shoot. Kimber Hunter is in here too, and they aren't getting bad reviews either.

Want to save a hundred or so? Pick up a Bergara.

Put a couple hundred more with it... because honestly whats $200 more when you're at $800, now you can get a Montana, or a CA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my first Tikka a year ago, it was $454 out the door at Sportsmans Warehouse. With the prices they are charging for new one, I'm not paying it. If I find another one on clearance and under $550, maybe. I wish I would have bought one about 5 years ago I found on clearance at Sports Authority, I believe it was $299 or $349 out the door. I just remember it was under $350 and when I went back to get one, everyone of them were gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Despite their virtues, no.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/04/18. Reason: Changed "many virtues" to "virtues". Can't think of "many".

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's a lot of lower priced rifles that shoot as well as a Tikka, in my experience. My Ruger American, TC Venture, Weatherby Vanguard and a couple Savages match my Tikka for accuracy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
About 15 years ago -thought i'd try one to see what all the innerweb hype was about -looked around tikka website picked out a 260 model - CAN'T GET THAT MODEL IN THE STATES
Picked out a 338fed -can't get that model in the States - never gave them another thought .
An old dressed up tuned up R-700 is plenty good enough for me .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
There's a lot of lower priced rifles that shoot as well as a Tikka, in my experience. My Ruger American, TC Venture, Weatherby Vanguard and a couple Savages match my Tikka for accuracy.
Huh, my Tikka easily out shoots my Venture, Vanguard, Ruger 77 and Savages.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Dogger
i suppose a Tikka T3X or Sauer 100 XT Classic in 270 would be dang near bulletproof...

T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. Anything else and you are leaving accuracy, precision, and shootability on the table for no gain.

I see nearly half a million rounds a year get shot, and while most isn't from bolt guns quite a bit is, and Tikka's are the least finicky, easiest to get shooting, and least troublesome rifles available.

I never stated one couldn’t hunt with a 700. You, and a lot of people believe that Remington 700 rifles (and others) are superior designed and better/more reliable/etc. From a mechanical and execution perspective- that’s not the case. Mechanically and executionaly the Tikka trigger, barrel, stock, and action is better.

This has little to do with the “sandbox” and everything to do with lots of rounds and lots of examples of both. In hunting and competition I have personally seen or had happen to me with 700 based guns- frozen triggers and frozen firing pins from both ice/slush and dust/sand. One bolt handle come off as well as a couple of triggers that failed and fired when the safety was taken off. Multiple locked of bolts due to sand/dust, and bolts that could be closed due to same. A T3 isn’t an AI, but side by side they have not suffered the same rate of issues as 700’s.

The Tikka isn’t perfect, but it’s very good. [/quote

[quote=Formidilosus]

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/04/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[quote=Dogger]i suppose a Tikka T3X or Sauer 100 XT Classic in 270 would be dang near bulletproof...

T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. Anything else and you are leaving accuracy, precision, and shootability on the table for no gain.

I see nearly half a million rounds a year get shot, and while most isn't from bolt guns quite a bit is, and Tikka's are the least finicky, easiest to get shooting, and least troublesome rifles available.

I never stated one couldn’t hunt with a 700. You, and a lot of people believe that Remington 700 rifles (and others) are superior designed and better/more reliable/etc. From a mechanical and execution perspective- that’s not the case. Mechanically and executionaly the Tikka trigger, barrel, stock, and action is better.

This has little to do with the “sandbox” and everything to do with lots of rounds and lots of examples of both. In hunting and competition I have personally seen or had happen to me with 700 based guns- frozen triggers and frozen firing pins from both ice/slush and dust/sand. One bolt handle come off as well as a couple of triggers that failed and fired when the safety was taken off. Multiple locked of bolts due to sand/dust, and bolts that could be closed due to same. A T3 isn’t an AI, but side by side they have not suffered the same rate of issues as 700’s.

The Tikka isn’t perfect, but it’s very good. [/quote

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.
Yep. I agree with every word of that. As someone who has been in the gunsmithing trade for 10 years now I'm continually astonished at how incapable of evaluating the quality/precision of construction of a rifle even the most avid shooters/hunters really are. The Tikka's walk all over any of the American made rifles I'm farmiliar with and have worked on by a long shot. Remingtons are horrible in design and precision of construction and most of the others mentioned here aren't much better, I particularly get a kick out of folks who proclain such as the T/C Venture or Compas as nearly the equal of a Tikka. It ain't even close.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,171
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.