Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffRaines
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tikka makes a good rifle.

But they are pricing themselves out of their market.

At $400 they were a steal.

At$6-700?

I agree 100% and I’ve been a big proponent of the Tikkas. Currently own 3 of them. But they are IMO making the price too high. A SL SS Tikka at SW after Tax is over $800. At Cabelas they’re over $900. It’s a great rifle at $600-$650, but $800-$900 is too much. Even the ones at Whittaker after FFL /background check fees puts it just under $800. Can’t imagine they won’t see a reduction in sales this year with the price increase. Defendants of Tikkas will say we’ll what else would you buy that would compare? If I’m at $800-$900 for a Tikka I’m spending more and getting something else. If a guy wanted to put a Tikka in a Mc Edge now your into that Tikka for $1400 and you still have a plastic trigger guard, and mag. Just not seeing it.

This is one time I agree with Big Stick.

Tikka's aren't necessarily bad. At old Whittaker pricing, for the trigger, stock and the way they shoot you could overlook the mag length, action length, twist rate, etc.

Now they're approaching $800. If you're looking for a turn-key rifle you're in Browning territory. May not be a favorite here, but they're paying attention with the twist rates and mag lengths for around the same price. They also shoot. Kimber Hunter is in here too, and they aren't getting bad reviews either.

Want to save a hundred or so? Pick up a Bergara.

Put a couple hundred more with it... because honestly whats $200 more when you're at $800, now you can get a Montana, or a CA.

This is the second time I've recently read that Browning is changing the twist rate on certain rifles. I checked Browning's website and couldn't find evidence of this. What make/model of rifle are they changing. Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Are Tikka short actions, not "really" short action length ?,,,or am I misunderstanding a few members posts.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All of the actions are the same length.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

Thank you Sir,

What are the ramifications of that design ?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've purhased several Steyr Pro Hunters and/or Mountain Rifles between $435 and $750.

I've found them to be a fine "bang" for the buck......

[Linked Image]

and hoglets!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by 16bore

Thank you Sir,

What are the ramifications of that design ?

Whining.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
[quote=Dogger]i suppose a Tikka T3X or Sauer 100 XT Classic in 270 would be dang near bulletproof...

T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. Anything else and you are leaving accuracy, precision, and shootability on the table for no gain.

I see nearly half a million rounds a year get shot, and while most isn't from bolt guns quite a bit is, and Tikka's are the least finicky, easiest to get shooting, and least troublesome rifles available.

I never stated one couldn’t hunt with a 700. You, and a lot of people believe that Remington 700 rifles (and others) are superior designed and better/more reliable/etc. From a mechanical and execution perspective- that’s not the case. Mechanically and executionaly the Tikka trigger, barrel, stock, and action is better.

This has little to do with the “sandbox” and everything to do with lots of rounds and lots of examples of both. In hunting and competition I have personally seen or had happen to me with 700 based guns- frozen triggers and frozen firing pins from both ice/slush and dust/sand. One bolt handle come off as well as a couple of triggers that failed and fired when the safety was taken off. Multiple locked of bolts due to sand/dust, and bolts that could be closed due to same. A T3 isn’t an AI, but side by side they have not suffered the same rate of issues as 700’s.

The Tikka isn’t perfect, but it’s very good. [/quote

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.
Yep. I agree with every word of that. As someone who has been in the gunsmithing trade for 10 years now I'm continually astonished at how incapable of evaluating the quality/precision of construction of a rifle even the most avid shooters/hunters really are. The Tikka's walk all over any of the American made rifles I'm farmiliar with and have worked on by a long shot. Remingtons are horrible in design and precision of construction and most of the others mentioned here aren't much better, I particularly get a kick out of folks who proclain such as the T/C Venture or Compas as nearly the equal of a Tikka. It ain't even close.

This isn't about reality it's about how a certain gun might make you feel. Feelings are important. When it comes to firearms a fairly conservative group of fellas can go a bit snowflake 😁

Facts don't care about feelings........BEN SHAPIRO

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/04/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[quote=Dogger]i suppose a Tikka T3X or Sauer 100 XT Classic in 270 would be dang near bulletproof...

T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. Anything else and you are leaving accuracy, precision, and shootability on the table for no gain.

I see nearly half a million rounds a year get shot, and while most isn't from bolt guns quite a bit is, and Tikka's are the least finicky, easiest to get shooting, and least troublesome rifles available.

I never stated one couldn’t hunt with a 700. You, and a lot of people believe that Remington 700 rifles (and others) are superior designed and better/more reliable/etc. From a mechanical and execution perspective- that’s not the case. Mechanically and executionaly the Tikka trigger, barrel, stock, and action is better.

This has little to do with the “sandbox” and everything to do with lots of rounds and lots of examples of both. In hunting and competition I have personally seen or had happen to me with 700 based guns- frozen triggers and frozen firing pins from both ice/slush and dust/sand. One bolt handle come off as well as a couple of triggers that failed and fired when the safety was taken off. Multiple locked of bolts due to sand/dust, and bolts that could be closed due to same. A T3 isn’t an AI, but side by side they have not suffered the same rate of issues as 700’s.

The Tikka isn’t perfect, but it’s very good. [/quote

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.
Yep. I agree with every word of that. As someone who has been in the gunsmithing trade for 10 years now I'm continually astonished at how incapable of evaluating the quality/precision of construction of a rifle even the most avid shooters/hunters really are. The Tikka's walk all over any of the American made rifles I'm farmiliar with and have worked on by a long shot. Remingtons are horrible in design and precision of construction and most of the others mentioned here aren't much better, I particularly get a kick out of folks who proclain such as the T/C Venture or Compas as nearly the equal of a Tikka. It ain't even close.

Joan,

You couldn't rebarrel a milkshake,with a fresh straw.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
HAAAhaaaaaahaHAHAAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elkchunt,

You suck a mean ass. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elkchunt,

You suck a mean ass. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not really all the same length. The bolts are all the same, yes. But the magazines are modified for shorter cartridges, and the bolt stop is different, which makes a long action into a short action. So, it really makes no difference how long the bolt is. The bolt stop determines the action length. It could be made into a 22 LR length, and that is as long as the "action" would be.
A short action Tikka has no longer of a bolt stroke than a specific short action.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A long action doesn't "become" a short action,despite all of your Imagination and it's Pretend.

Hint................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
elkchunt,

Whattya' figure the odds are,on you not schitting your pants today? 50/50? Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
elkchunt,

Mebbe start a Thread on the BIG Day,when you can drive yourself and "shoot" a rifle. Congratulations?!?

On pins & needles here!

Until then,you've got your GoogleFu and plagiarism,to keep your mind offa your schitty diaper(s).

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...........

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.