Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
There seems to be several models of the SAS. Which one are you running?

DF

Arbiter Titanium

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Buddy of mine was running a TBAC U7 on a 6.5 Creed the other day.... we both thought my 9” SAS can was much quieter to both the shooter and the immediate vicinity. The bigger cans are generally quieter... but there are some exceptions. My suppressor is long, and weighs 14oz.... but it is very effective, and isn’t cumbersome on 16”-20” barrels.

In the field, most animals have no idea where the shot came from.

If the timing works out we should do a comparison with a U5 and a U9 around Christmas.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks,

I already have two suppressors, both registered to me individually.

Did you use a trust for the registration? That seems to be a good option.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Buddy of mine was running a TBAC U7 on a 6.5 Creed the other day.... we both thought my 9” SAS can was much quieter to both the shooter and the immediate vicinity. The bigger cans are generally quieter... but there are some exceptions. My suppressor is long, and weighs 14oz.... but it is very effective, and isn’t cumbersome on 16”-20” barrels.

If the timing works out we should do a comparison with a U5 and a U9 around Christmas.

I’ll be around.... shoot me a text.

Should we invite ‘stick?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I’ll be around.... shoot me a text.

Should we invite ‘stick?

laugh

You could probably sell tickets to that...

DF

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Thanks,

I already have two suppressors, both registered to me individually.

Did you use a trust for the registration? That seems to be a good option.

DF

A trust used to be a great option for a number of reasons, but most of those are gone now. Only good reason to use a trust now is to have other "responsible persons" included who can be in possession. There is some extra hassle involved in going that route now.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What’s the story on the trust not being as good an option now as it was.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a TBAC Ultra 7 CB and an SAS Barricade DT. Really like them both, though I’ve never used any other makes. I’d say a can from either comapny would be good to go.

I use the ultra 7 on my Tikka CTR 6.5cm and ARs

I use the slightly shorter and lighter barricade on my tikka lite 223 and 243

A buddy has silencerco omega and seems to like it

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Walter, did you do a trust?

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
First let me say I'm no expert on much of anything.

I built mine on a form 1. My thoughts are that 5/8-24 is still what the suppressor is mounted on even with the bayonet mount. You're just adding more weight. However it is convenient. I have read many complaints on other forums about suppressors loosening up after firing a few shots mostly for the bayonet mount and some with thread mount. The thread fit should be good.

My suppressor is sort of a reflex design that comes back over the barrel about an inch and it's pretty secure. It won't loosen no matter how much I shoot. Suppressors add weight and that changes the harmonics. Mine changes POI about 1" @100yds. Accuracy is just as good and it will agg. much the same with or without. The extra weight does change the dynamics of the gun. It's more front heavy and longer. Sound suppression is great and it is just a tradeoff. Lighter and shorter might be good if it works as well.

There's a thread over on the Accurate Reloading Suppressor forum that was started by a guy in the UK that hunts subsonic suppressed at night in urban settings. He wants a loading that is subsonic and has good expansion for taking larger game. It's a tradeoff with any chambering shooting subsonic. Heavy long bullets don't do well with twist rates used for super sonic loadings. Ranges have to be much shorter as drop is greater and jacketed bullets don't work as well because they are designed for much more velocity. More tradeoffs.

I don't see the suppressor legislation happening at all now that the democrats have the house. Even the republican establishment is scared to death of the bad press they will get. The heck of it all is All of them know well that suppressors are good and mitigate hearing loss. The liberals love to lie about anything gun related and the non shooting public is clueless. The government will fight to the death to keep their fees. It helps pay for their liberal social programs that get votes and they will not relinquish any control once they get it.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Walter, did you do a trust?

DF

I bought both of mine a few years ago, when using a trust was an easier route. I set up a simple trust through an attorney.

I’m by no means an expert, but if I understand correctly it’s no longer any easier to purchase suppressors through a trust, as others have already mentioned here. I need to read up on the current process myself, but haven’t since I have no plans to purchase more suppressors or build an SBR.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I use a Hybrid mostly sub-sonic. Never shoot 22 LR or 22 WMR with out a suppresser any more.

My favorite use is on a Ruger American 450 Bushmaster 16" barrel 12.5 gr. Trail Boss 1045 fps Cutting Edge Bullet Handgun Raptor 240 gr. with tip added. I limit shots to 60 yards, it will shoot one ragged hole, pellet gun quiet.

Shot this buck at 42 yards, there was a doe and fawn in the 1 acre food plot at the time of the shot. They ran into the woods came back and started feeding within a couple minutes.
[Linked Image]

Exit from inside looking out, the two smaller circled holes are blade from bullet.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/KHOxzpE.jpg?1[/img]

Entrance looking from inside out
.[Linked Image]

450 Bushmaster with Cutting Edge Bullets 240 gr.Handgun Raptor W/Tip added
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, that's a cool set up. You spent some time and thought putting that together.

I like it.

DF

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
What’s the story on the trust not being as good an option now as it was.

DF

Research BATF 41P for more details, but here's the cliff notes:

Prior to the 41P rule changes, a trust avoided some of the paperwork hassle, such as chief LEO sign-off, fingerprints, etc, and was a method people could use to purchase/own suppressors in areas where law enforcement would not sign off for an individual. Once you had the trust set up, you could just send that in with your paperwork and avoid all of the other requirements that purchasing as an individual would have.

Now, after 41P, all responsible persons on a trust have to complete the same requirements (fingerprints, photo id, etc) as an individual, so that part is just as much or more hassle than going the individual route, plus paying for the trust. Also, the LEO requirement changed to "notification only" instead of the sign off requirement, so that made the individual route easier, but also notification is required for trusts now where it was not before.

There are more advantages and disadvantages to each now, but I think I hit all the main points there. Will update later if I think of anything else significant.

The short answer is this: If you don't need to have multiple people in possession of your suppressor, the time for the trust method is pretty much past, because most of the other advantages are gone.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/07/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
[quote=Dirtfarmer]

The short answer is this: If you don't need to have multiple people in possession of your suppressor, the time for the trust method is pretty much past, because most of the other advantages are gone.
Since my two minor sons would also be using the suppressor, I assume I should go the trust route and have them listed on it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread perked my interest to do a little googling. Are guys really paying $1,000 for suppressors?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
This thread perked my interest to do a little googling. Are guys really paying $1,000 for suppressors?

That's in the ball park for a robust 7.62 suppressor and also have to add the $200 tax stamp.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Yondering
[quote=Dirtfarmer]

Since my two minor sons would also be using the suppressor, I assume I should go the trust route and have them listed on it?

If they're going to take the suppressor with them somewhere else without you (such as if they lived somewhere other than your house and took it home with them) and were of legal age to be in possession of a firearm, that's where the trust is still helpful. For example if you and I are both on your trust, I could take your suppressor home with me legally without you being there. If you own it as an individual, it would not be legal for me to possess it. I'm not a lawyer, but at this time, it seems to be accepted that if you are present, other people can shoot your suppressor without being considered in possession of it; the difference being whether or not you are present or not.

Since your sons are minors though (and probably live with you?) then going with a trust or individual doesn't matter much at this time. You might consider whether you want the trust so they could be in possession when they're old enough, but you'd have to edit the trust at that point to make them trustees. If they are just listed as beneficiaries, they don't legally have access to the items the trust owns. I don't think you can/should list minors as trustees to a trust that will own age-restricted items like firearms, but talk to a lawyer about that.

And for clarification - the ATF has defined suppressors as "firearms". Yes, I know it's stupid and don't agree with it, it's like defining a car muffler as a vehicle and requiring registration and plates for it. But, that is the current law that we have to work with.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Yes. That'll get you a pretty good suppressor, but you could pay even more if you want. It's not that hard to believe, people pay more than that for scopes, rifles, and other gun stuff all the time.

As mentioned above, don't forget the tax stamp cost too, along with the cost of barrel threading and any muzzle devices you might need. Good suppressors are not a market for those who like to buy cheap stuff, but they are worthwhile for those willing and able to pay the cost.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,655
Posts18,533,871
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.