-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess is the TC will die off first. I have seen exactly three guys hunting with TC's in the last 10 years. I guess they aren't really that popular around here.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I understand it, and I might be wrong here, both are very dependent on factory loads to do what they do. The 308 ME depends on the soft pointy bullets that are not yet available to handloaders and the 30 TC seems to use some magical powder that, again, doesn't seem to be available to us. I suspect that most of the people who might buy one or the other are handloaders who won't get to play with these rounds as much as they would like to. So, unless they stop selling 30-30 Winchesters and .30-06s and fill the shelves instead with 308 MEs and 30 TCs, I don't expect them to be particularly popular. I'd even say they are doomed. And, I agree that the TC rifles (both the single shots and the new bolt gun) are so goofy looking that I just can't like them no matter how hard I try.

That said, of the two, I prefer the "idea" of the 308 ME-- 300 Savage performance in a tube fed lever gun seems like a good thing to me. But then again I thought the 307 was a good idea too. See where that one ended up...

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think they will both flop,,,,,factory ammo is expensive for the 308M,,,,,,,,course thare are always those that hafta have something different,,,,,the 308 first

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 308 Marlin will win. Marlin supports its stuff for a LONG time. Heck, the 444 marlin took 15 years to catch on. Marlin, never gave up on it.

Also, Marlin does not care about selling 308 Marlins. Marlin just wants to sell rifles. The 308 Marlin is bait. Now that a deer hunter can get a 160 grain bullet going 2600 fps, the marlin is a viable long range weapon.

I say that the 308 marlin is advertised heavily, gets the lever guys into the gunshop, then that same lever guy gets sold a 30/30 MARLIN and LeverRevloution pointy bullet ammo (which is almost as good, will do fine for deer hunting, and then the guy can use regualr 30/30 ammo that he can get anywhere).

Net Result: Marlin Sells More MARLIN rifles. Marlin wins and keeps that 308 Marlin in its lineup for decades to come.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 03/28/07.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats true and I always forget that for most hunters reloading isn't a consideration.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
IC B2

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is TC's new caliber will hang around longer because it is just a matter of making barrels which TC does so well. The new rifle is a mess and will not be around long. Didn't Winchester attempt a .307 in their beefed up 94 some years ago? I doubt Marlin will have any better luck but love that Marlin rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The TC will crash first and foremost. It is a cartridge will little reason for existence. TC does not have the customer base that Marlin enjoys and they have a reliable habit of building guns as homely as my left cheek. The Marlin cartridge enjoys something the .307 Winchester did not, that being .308 ballistics and a pointy bullet. Handloaders are a minority segment in the industry and that has little play in the matter in any case.

That said, I have little desire for either, and certainly no need. This onrush of new chamberings visited upon us in the last couple of decades has produced little(I did not say "nothing") in the way of substantial improvement in any form. Hopefully it is on the wane.

.02 worth, not adjusted for inflation.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by panhandlepr
If Browning would take the 30 TC and put it in their Mirco A-Bolt, it would be an instant sucess and everyone in the world would want several.

To quote from a Malt-o-Meal TV ad from the late 50's or early 60's:

"Tastes twice as good as that other tastless stuff"

Or, mathematically, 0 + 0 = 0.

Actually there is plenty of "other stuff" that tastes very good, and I'll put my money there. The crystal ball says a Marlin .308 Marlin Express XLR is in my future...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think the TC will be gone first. Levergun enthusiasts will keep the .308 M.E. going enough to keep it in production, at least for a while.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by panhandlepr
If Browning would take the 30 TC and put it in their Mirco A-Bolt, it would be an instant sucess and everyone in the world would want several.

I assume you are being facetious. I didn't know anyone
wanted a Browning A-Bolt in anything????? laugh

He can't be serious, can he Jack? Hopefully, the .30 T/C and A-bolt will die off together grin I think I agree with the majority here that the Marlin will outlast the T/C, provided they market/support it better than the 307 Win. But 30 T/C barrels will be available for a long time. A cartridge so close to the 308 Win in a rifle that hideous has got its' work cut out for it. I just can't ever foresee any other gun makers chambering rifles for either cartridge.....I also do not believe in "magic" powders, as I've seen several cartridges come down the line that they said handloaders would not be able to duplicate factory performance. Guess what? They've always managed to....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just like the fact that we are off which Short, fat Mag will die first, discussion.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Which will die first?

Ummm.... do we have a simultaneous death rule around? How about a still born rule? IMHO, either/both would apply...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May ALL of the Short fats, Wssm's,Shamu's et al die simaultaneously WITH the 30TC and 308ME!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Color me perplexed as I don't see why anyone would wish failure on TC or Marlin's new products -- or WSM, WSSM, SAUM, UM or any other product for that matter.

There is a significant difference between believing the market will reject a product than actively hoping it will fail.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They will both die like a Bang Flop very swifty and with great authority. The Marlin might last a tad longer because of some die hard lever users.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I just can't be impressed with the looks of a rifle that has a butterknife bolt. WTF?

Good point! +1! smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As for me I hope the T/C dies ASAP as it is BUTT UGLY!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i actually like the looks of the t/c icon ... semi-custom rifle supposedly going to retail @ $800. good trigger, good barrel, good stock, integrated steel scope mount ... the .30 t/c caliber, on the other hand, seems completely ridiculous. i'll take one in .308. (preferably 7mm-08, no idea why they chose the calibers they did for the initial launch of the rifle ....)

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
the Marlin is nearly as pointless, those who want a pointed bullet modern cartridge will goto a bolt action.

........ or buy a BLR. smile

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
They will both slowly fade away. The Marlin round may sruggle for just a bit longer.

Too old to suffer fools
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 33 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,152
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.