Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have had a Cabelas club card for more years than I can remember. Never any problem. Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over. When Cabelas had it any problems were resolved in a nice friendly manner.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was pissed when Capital One took over. I have a balance that I need to pay off. I is going to take me a couple months. I got my new card in the mail and shredded it. (I heard somewhere that keeping a line of credit and not using it is better for your credit than closing the line. This may be false though.)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We had some issues with their recent switch when a $6 K+ check for our old account # was not credited. Got a bill that had the charge against our new account. Cookie got right on it, canceled the check and had a new one issued. Lost a lot of time, however, on hold with mechanized phone systems. Did not accrue any additional charges, though.

New card seems fully functional from NY to Ca.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/11/18.

1Minute
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I never had one, I have an American Depressed Card.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyote268
I have had a Cabelas club card for more years than I can remember. Never any problem. Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over. When Cabelas had it any problems were resolved in a nice friendly manner.

So - you've done this sort of thing in the past and gotten away with it?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Love my AMEX blue cash preferred. Missed a payment one time and was hit with a $50 late fee plus what amounted to a couple hundred bucks worth of interest. Called and let them know I thought the payment was monday, but it was actualy sunday. Asked them to review my payment/usage history (we put everything on this card) and she not only waived my fees/interest, but credited my annual renewal fee which happened to fall in that month. Great customer service from them.

The cash back on that card more than pays for our christmas every year, and we have a big family! Never seen the draw to specific rewards cards. Would rather have the cash back.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I was planning on cancelling my Cabela's Master card as soon as I used all my Cabela's points. Last Thursday they offered free 2 day shipping so I ordered something using all my points. With the old Cabela's you got an email confirming your order as soon as you placed it but you don't with the new Cabela's. My package didn't show up in 2 days so I checked my order status on their website. It was projected to arrive Monday so I planned to stay home until the package arrived. I still hadn't gotten an email about my order so I figured I'd check the website again to sure it was out for delivery. I was unable to log in so I reset my password and tried again. Still couldn't log in so I called customer service and was told that they were unable to fix the log in problem (still can't log in today) but my package was out for delivery. My package did arrive yesterday so I will be cancelling my Cabela's account today. I got an emaiI TODAY that my package had shipped. I owe them $0.49 for my last order so I hope that doesn't cause them to panic.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hate Capitol One - don’t know why, I just do.

I never carry a balance and always make sure it’s paid ahead of time.

I do see them moving my due date back and forth by a couple of days on occasions - I think they’re trying to trick me.

I don’t care for Bass Pro either, I think they’ll ruin my local Cabelas store.

Last edited by tpcollins; 12/11/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've found it best to just cut up cards rather than cancel them.

Cancelling a card can go as a mark on your credit history.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If Capitol One was supposed to send out new cards mine probably went in the trash as they've been sending me bi-monthly junk mail for years. I'll not bother to inquire.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
No Freeme, the only problem in the past was being billed for something I didn't buy which they quickly took care of and apologized and gave me 100 points. I take exception to your post.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Theeck
I was pissed when Capital One took over. I have a balance that I need to pay off. I is going to take me a couple months. I got my new card in the mail and shredded it. (I heard somewhere that keeping a line of credit and not using it is better for your credit than closing the line. This may be false though.)

Good way for identity thieves to cause you a headache

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Freeme, the only problem in the past was being billed for something I didn't buy which they quickly took care of and apologized and gave me 100 points. I take exception to your post.

Take all the exception you like. I think it's rather odd for someone to complain about being charged for a late payment as outlined in the card agreement - especially if they haven't had a history of receiving leniency for same in the past. But then, I wouldn't expect such leniency in the first place.

The vast majority of such credit problems are self-inflicted, IMO, and this appears as no exception.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A big part of your credit score is based on the ratio of credit available vs how much you owe. If you have 3-4 cards with a total of $30,000 of available credit, but only owe $1000 that looks good and will give you a good score. Cancel a card with $10,000 of credit and you now owe $1000 with only $20,000 of credit available. While still good, your FICO score will go down because of the ratios.

If you owe ZERO, or if you never actually use the cards and only have $2000 available credit, your score will be low enough that it could hurt you when trying to get a loan for a house of car. Banks aren't interested in the fact that you owe nothing. They want to see how well you can manage money and show discipline by using credit wisely. The guy who owes nothing may be a good risk, may be a bad risk. But to get credit at good rates you need to prove you are a good risk. Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

Last edited by JMR40; 12/11/18.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've found it best to just cut up cards rather than cancel them.

Cancelling a card can go as a mark on your credit history.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
A big part of your credit score is based on the ratio of credit available vs how much you owe. If you have 3-4 cards with a total of $30,000 of available credit, but only owe $1000 that looks good and will give you a good score. Cancel a card with $10,000 of credit and you now owe $1000 with only $20,000 of credit available. While still good, your FICO score will go down because of the ratios.

If you owe ZERO, or if you never actually use the cards and only have $2000 available credit, your score will be low enough that it could hurt you when trying to get a loan for a house of car. Banks aren't interested in the fact that you owe nothing. They want to see how well you can manage money and show discipline by using credit wisely. The guy who owes nothing may be a good risk, may be a bad risk. But to get credit at good rates you need to prove you are a good risk. Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

All good reasons to pay bills on time. Given what we all know about the USPS (as complained about in another thread today), that means you should mail your check - if that's how you choose to pay - early. Can't send the check early? That might be a clue.....

BTW - I pay all card balances in full every month, and my credit rating is very high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Had the same thing happen on last month's statement. I called them and said I never carry a balance and always pay on time. I requested that they remove the fee and interest. They did. So I still have the card. Actually just used it today to buy a 10" gong they had on sale for 1/2 price w/ free shipping.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, I guess that's the difference between claiming "family emergency " and claiming the mistake was theirs. Good move, Centershot.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Take all the exception you like. I think it's rather odd for someone to complain about being charged for a late payment as outlined in the card agreement - especially if they haven't had a history of receiving leniency for same in the past. But then, I wouldn't expect such leniency in the first place.

The vast majority of such credit problems are self-inflicted, IMO, and this appears as no exception.

That’s what I was thinking. You pay late, you get a late payment. It’s not complicated.
FWIW, I tossed my new MC cabelas card in my gun safe, didn’t activate it. And don’t plan to activate it. Just seeing how long they let my old cabelas card run. I used it yesterday.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go ahead and cancel it and let me know when you find the perfect credit card company that treats you like family........I want to know which one it is, because I've never found one so far that doesn't care if they get their money on time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.