Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
It was that way BEFORE Capital One took over.....

We once sent in a payment but did not take into consideration a federal holiday and were one day late with a payment. They charged interest and when confronted about it, were told sorry, but those were the rules.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have went back to Discover. Have had Cabela’s Black Card for years. Got jipped out of points on a somewhat large purchase recently. Both calls to customer service ended after a grand circle jerk of reps directing me to various departments. Poor experience to say the least. Cabela’s customer service was top notch the few times I had issues. A few minutes on the phone and issue always resolved. They were also very good at fraud detection and took care of it both times my card was charged or attempted to be charged by scammers. Sorry to see the change. Until we find something better Discover is our choice.

I live close to the Wheeling WV store and was a regular shopper. Been a few months since I’ve stopped and don’t plan on any visits. Finding everything I need online and most times cheaper. Selection/inventory very poor and prices really high compared to many other online options. Thus far it’s a shame what our store has become.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got all the major cards and my main card is Discover. I don't think you can beat it overall. The one downside is that it isn't quite as accepted as MC or Visa.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Longbob
Latest I had here was on the Mastercard. Pretty sure the wife fell victim to one of those surreptitious card readers at the gas pump. Hit with a charge for $5k and $750. They denied those charges and called me immediately. Asked if it was us - I said "no". They verified the legitimate charges preceding, killed that card, and sent a new one out right away.

One of the biggest risks are the waiters/waitresses that take your card away to run it and also take a pic of it with their phone and they have the CVV number. This is one way that the US is way behind other countries where they bring the chip reader to the table. It doesn't really matter how many steps you take to protect yourself it is best to think you are always going to subject to fraud and watch your stuff religiously.

Keeping all this in mind I would never ever ever use a debit card. It is true that the bank will return your money in the case of fraud, but that doesn't prevent other legit transactions hitting your account at the same time without sufficient funds. You could be subject to bounced payment fees to those vendors. At least with a credit card you are using the banks funds until it gets sorted out.

Yep. Good point. That is part of why I pay cash at most restaurants.

I use my card at restaurants quite often. I do sometimes wonder how many hands it goes through before it gets back to me. And who those who handle it are. Been lucky so far with only one instance where my bank called me to ask if I had tried to buy a $200 gift certficate from walmart. I hadnt and they
Shut the card down. I got a new one in the mail in a few days and nothing more came of it. Maybe paying cash for lunch aint such a bad idea.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's amazing about the campfire is how many people complain about snowflakes and millennials and then how many posts like this there are.

PSA for anyone paying bills. Most bills have a penalty for paying late. Don't want the penalty, pay your dang bill on time. Pretty simple really. Want to complain, you'd be better served complaining to the one responsible for paying the bills on time. My CC bill is due on the same day every month. Pretty much the same as all my other bills. I know when they need to be paid. If they don't get paid, I figure it's my fault. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the way grown adults think.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I'm actually kind of surprised to see that people are still sending checks by mail.

I know! I'm kinda old school though.

All our bills are paid electronically. (Wife is the accountant, and she would forget now and then. E-pay avoids that)

But, they are paid on a rewards card. That avoids giving people access to MY money.

The card, gets paid with the one check and envelope sent out per month.

When we go on vacation, the gas is free (points) along with the occasional tank.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my investment money is in Fidelity, so I use a Fidelity Visa card. I get 2% back on everything, and I use it on everything I buy. Adds up pretty quick and I can use that money anywhere, not just at Cabelas. I canceld the Cableas card years ago.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JMR40
Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

explain how my credit score can affect my car insurance and homeowner insurance, so if I have bad credit I'm a bad driver if I have good credit I'm a good driver?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

explain how my credit score can affect my car insurance and homeowner insurance, so if I have bad credit I'm a bad driver if I have good credit I'm a good driver?

Here's a link to give you more info - https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-your-credit-score-doesnt-affect-your-insurance-rate

And a quote from the article.

"Research shows that credit scores can accurately predict accident potential. Statistical analysis shows that those with higher credit scores tend to get into fewer accidents and cost insurance companies less than their lower-scoring counterparts.

In 2003, The University of Texas (PDF) conducted an analysis based on 175,647 policies. They found that those with lower credit scores tended to incur more car insurance losses and higher claims payout, and thus posed greater risk to auto insurers.

The Federal Trade Commission (PDF) also undertook an independent study to understand the relationship between credit history and risk. Like The University of Texas, they found that credit-based insurance scores are effective predictors of risk."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by skeen

Here's a link to give you more info - https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-your-credit-score-doesnt-affect-your-insurance-rate

And a quote from the article.

"Research shows that credit scores can accurately predict accident potential. Statistical analysis shows that those with higher credit scores tend to get into fewer accidents and cost insurance companies less than their lower-scoring counterparts.

In 2003, The University of Texas (PDF) conducted an analysis based on 175,647 policies. They found that those with lower credit scores tended to incur more car insurance losses and higher claims payout, and thus posed greater risk to auto insurers.

The Federal Trade Commission (PDF) also undertook an independent study to understand the relationship between credit history and risk. Like The University of Texas, they found that credit-based insurance scores are effective predictors of risk."

I just dont beleive this research

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

More or less yes. The insurance companies feel there is a correlation between a good credit score and a lower insurance risk.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Longbob

More or less yes. The insurance companies feel there is a correlation between a good credit score and a lower insurance risk.

Just some more scams against the consumer.. I don't use credit cards and don't even have a FICA score.
So most insurance companies consider me a mass murder on the hwy over that issue.. I go round and round with USAA each time our policy has to renew...

Capitol One is a good example of why I don't have credit cards.... 20 plus years ago, my wife had a Sears Card she had since she started working there in High School. She kept a balance of about $500 on it, but she'd make payments and all she seemed to be doing was paying interest...not the balance down.

So I took it and mailed the entire $500.00 she owed on it when she got another monthly statement and then told them to cancel the card...and mailed them the cut up pieces with the notice.. This was the day after she received the bill in the mail.

Fast forward 3 or 4 years....We had moved and changed a mailing address from MN to Oregon.
We get a collection notice from them for like $600 or $700. We show the collection agency where we had paid off her balance in full a long time ago....the "charges" were for accumulated late fees...

Sears explanation was that even tho we had paid the 'balance' off in full, the payment was processed AFTER the due date, even tho it had been mailed in way before.... they claimed it was held up in a QUE...so until they actually process it, that is the day considered received... and they had constantly held it up on purpose to be "late"....so they just kept on adding monthly late fees for 3 or 4 years plus interest....

I told them F.U. I'll see you AHoles when you take her to court. We took in the receipts and canceled check, showing it had been paid off, and then their explanation of they credited it way after it was received.. so they could charge this late payment BS.....Judge saw it my way, that case lasted about 3 minutes.

Collection clowns just played innocent stating they were just representing their clients interest...
Those type of lawyers are as big of thieves as their "clients".....

Personally I haven't carried a credit card since 2002... and the only reason I carried them up to that time was my companies required it to pay expenses and they then reimbursed the employee.....they did it that way, because employees had used company credit cards for their own expenses and left owing the company plenty of money.... so the companies figured it was easier for them to owe the employee money back...

Then it was not uncommon for them to not reimburse final expenses owed to the employee, for doing company business....

We can all thank sleazy accountants and lawyers for that racket.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Handy, but NO CCs for me. If buying online I use one bank debit card I keep a minimum balance in and add to it when buying something, but nothing extra. Another (different) bank debit card/checking account for all monthly bills and the debit card my SS comes to me on..........that I take to the bank and take all but 100 in cash.

Once a month I put in what's needed for those two cards, write and mail checks and leave enough for (mandated, which pisses me off) "automatic payments" they withdraw monthly in one of them. Then I put it all out of my mind.

Been that way 16 years (every since the last CC using maniac I was with left)..,except for the SS card that isn't THAT old.

The only trouble I have had with a CC company is one saying I applied for one of their cards................and sent it to me.

Wrong. Took me 3 months to get that reversed but I did.

I've a limited income and an unlimited want list so........I "outsmart myself." HAHAHA.

I don't have the cash in hand, I don't buy it.

No one keeps track of what I buy when I pay cash. I'm old. That's how I like it.

YMMV

God Bless
Steve

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by coyote268
Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over.

So, let me get this straight, you were late with "your" payment and now it is their fault??????????????

You sound like a precious little snowflake little bitch. Could be it's time to turn in your man card, start wearing your pink pussy hat, and go out and attend a Hillary march. You are such a douche.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you owe ZERO, or if you never actually use the cards and only have $2000 available credit, your score will be low enough that it could hurt you when trying to get a loan for a house of car. Banks aren't interested in the fact that you owe nothing. They want to see how well you can manage money and show discipline by using credit wisely. The guy who owes nothing may be a good risk, may be a bad risk. But to get credit at good rates you need to prove you are a good risk. Your FICO score is also used to determine insurance rates and many employers check it before hiring.

Frankly, I think that's the pitch banks use to convince people they need credit cards. I haven't had a credit card in 20-years, I pay my bills on time, and I have zero problems getting a loan at the lowest rate on the rare occasion I want one. This is also true for my wife and everyone I know that pays responsibly.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over.

So, let me get this straight, you were late with "your" payment and now it is their fault??????????????

You sound like a precious little snowflake little bitch. Could be it's time to turn in your man card, start wearing your pink pussy hat, and go out and attend a Hillary march. You are such a douche.

That was some harsh piling-on, dude.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love this place! Discussions morph so far....now we're bashing insurance companies and Sears (I'm all for bashing Sears smile ).

Even if the correlation between credit rating and insurance claim risk is not real, I would expect that insurance companies might be looking at the proof of whether or not the prospective insured pays bills on time. I guess the only other way to cover that liability would be to charge a deposit, like a rental agency does.

Those of you who simply don't use credit enough to have a good rating....I admire your tenacity.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a Cabelas club card for more years than I can remember. Never any problem. Just got a bill stating that my payment was one day late and am being charged $27.77. Called Capital one and explained I thought I had mailed it in time plus I had a family emergency. Basically I was told to pound sand. Told them where to stick the card in a nice way and canceled it. Had a feeling this kind of stuff would happen when they took over. When Cabelas had it any problems were resolved in a nice friendly manner.

Online banking my friend.

But really, who cares?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my BP/Cabela's Capital One card in the mail, but I don't know if I'll activate it. I don't have a problem with avoiding late fees or credit card fraud; I have a problem with the Bass Pro organization donating money in support of Proposition One on this year's Alaska ballot. This has led me to believe they're a bunch of clueless [bleep]. (The fact that the local Cabela's has a greatly increased amount of shoddy metrosexual clothing, scented candles, crappy kids toys, and other [bleep] I'd expect to see for sale at a Cracker Barrel restaurant also causes me to hesitate.)

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had the Southwest Airline card from Chase. I've had the card for years. Almost every month I have paid the balance in full for the charges I made the prior month. Somehow I missed the due date for the bill a few months ago and they jacked my interest rate through the roof in addition to the late fee. Even though I pay virtually no interest due to the way I pay off the balance each month, I called to complain and asked them if its worth losing a customer over. They wouldn't fix it, so I went adios.

NRA Benefactor Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.