Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've mentioned this before somplace here, but the owner of my LGS told me that he's selling more Hawkes than anything else now, and not the upper lines, but rather Vantage-type stuff. Says guys buy one, then come back for more. Sounds like price is the initial hook; disposable income here's not what it is in the city. No issues with them so far.

More and more Hawke is sold every month compared to the prior month. It's funny as the guys who buy them always seem pleasantly surprised as to how nice they are. Hawke has started adding quality FFP scopes to their line up and I think you'll see more and more of their scopes in the field in 2019

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The perception has sure changed on this board. Years ago, anyone who even mentioned liking some other type scope was pretty much ridiculed. Now it seems to have done a 180 and everyone schits on Leupold.

I don’t shoot long range and I view a scope more as an aiming device that a fine optical instrument. If it resolves well enough to allow one to shoot a deer in just about any situation 30 minutes after daylight, then that is good enough for me. And pretty much any multicoated scope will do that these days. I don’t spin turrets, so if it holds a zero once it is set, that is good enough for me. I like lightweight, so one inch tubes and 2x7s seem about perfect for me. Eye relief is a concern.

So, with those factors considered, Leupold is still one of the best and most economical options out there. But the problem for them is tha a lot of people do spinturrets and they shoot long range so optical resolution is paramount and they don’t mind a lot of weight and so on and so forth. And in that market, the perception of Leupold has taken a big hit. I kind of doubt that they can recover as long as the long range thing keeps up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
I've mentioned this before somplace here, but the owner of my LGS told me that he's selling more Hawkes than anything else now, and not the upper lines, but rather Vantage-type stuff. Says guys buy one, then come back for more. Sounds like price is the initial hook; disposable income here's not what it is in the city. No issues with them so far.

More and more Hawke is sold every month compared to the prior month. It's funny as the guys who buy them always seem pleasantly surprised as to how nice they are. Hawke has started adding quality FFP scopes to their line up and I think you'll see more and more of their scopes in the field in 2019

I originally bought a Hawke, trying to think outside the box of "standard" manufacturers. The first one was bad, but the one that I have now, seems to be a good scope. It is built heavily and the glass is plenty good for what I do. Another one that is going to see more interest, is Athlon. I have a Midas Tac that is a pretty darn good scope.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Does the Vette get me to work faster than the 4Runner? Definitely not. Is the ride more fun? Definitely yes, unless it is snowing. Do I need a Vette? Definitely not and I don’t have the skills to take it places it can go.

This scope talk is much the same.

Last edited by battue; 12/13/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper

I originally bought a Hawke, trying to think outside the box of "standard" manufacturers. The first one was bad, but the one that I have now, seems to be a good scope. It is built heavily and the glass is plenty good for what I do. Another one that is going to see more interest, is Athlon. I have a Midas Tac that is a pretty darn good scope.

Just curious; "bad" how? How long did it take to get the replacement, and was it by tbe dealer or Hawke? They do require you to register them, unlike most now.

I have four mounted right now. Price was definitely the hook for me, as all were closeouts from Doug, along with the incredible eye relief. Gonna ride them for a while to see how they shake out before I think about more.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
PaulB,
I agree with “around the bowl and down the hole” vortex. LOL! Lots of noobs think they are cool, 😂😂😂
Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Just curious; "bad" how? How long did it take to get the replacement, and was it by tbe dealer or Hawke? They do require you to register them, unlike most now.

I have four mounted right now. Price was definitely the hook for me, as all were closeouts from Doug, along with the incredible eye relief. Gonna ride them for a while to see how they shake out before I think about more.

I bought it from Doug and it was sent back to Hawke. They tested it and confirmed that it was bad. I ended up getting a substantial upgrade, as they were out of that scope at the time. Their customer service is great and the one that I have now I believe is a Sidewinder with bdc. It rides on a 30-06 and I have killed five, or six deer with the rig. Regarding "bad", it would not hold zero, or track right. My first Athlon was also sent back and they confirmed that it, too, would not hold zero. The replacement was tested and so far, is a very nice scope. It has good, clear glass, tracks well and has good, positive clicks, along with capped windage. In both cases, the customer service was fantastic-better than my experience with Leupold as far as turnaround time. I think that as more and more people get used to seeing them, both of these companies are going to do well. Athlon actually has their own test lab at their facility in Kansas. They can simulate recoil equivalent to a 338 Lapua.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just a sidebar; I have never had a Leupold totally fail. Had one that the power ring stuck due to something loose after a stint on a .300 Weatherby. I sent it back to Leupold and upgraded to CDS turret and it was back in a few weeks. It now rides on a .35 Whelen and still works fine. I for one don’t have the desire to fiddle fugg around with “maybe” scopes. Test drive new ones on an accurate, hard kicking rifle then mount on its final destination. Cheers

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one really publishes a scientific evaluation of the various riflescopes on the market - but after a while certain people figure some things out through experience.
When you can buy an Asian unit that is the functional equivilent of an "American branded" scope for a fraction of the price, "competition" becomes difficult.
At the high end, many people buy Euro glass largely as a status symbol.

Last edited by night_owl; 12/13/18.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Times change. After shooting friends' rifles w/ SWFA and Nightforce glass I quickly learned the magic of LRF, ballistic app and repeatable turrets combined w/ a functional reticle. My main rifle now wears a SWFA 3-9 FFP w/ an MQ reticle and I love the added capability gained.

It replaced a Leupold VX2 3-9 that is now on a RAR .223. The Leupold has performed flawlessly in every possible condition and has held zero pretty well. When I zeroed it on the RAR the clicks were precise and accurate. I am going to replace it w/ SWFA fixed 6 w/ MQ, why guess when you don't have to?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
$529.99-Hawke Sidewinder FFP 4-16x50 -fov- 23--6.5 feet at 100 yards

$639(MSRP) Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 -fov- 27.4--7.4 feet at 100 yards

The Hawke might as well be a straw ...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I have never had a failure of any type on any of my leupolds. I have owned a pile and had them on everything from a 22 up to a 458 lott. They really give me no reason to look elsewhere. Just my experience. And for the record I have no need for twisting turrets

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's where I start and stop. They've not steered me wrong...EVER. Dropped one of my rifles this summer, landing right on the scope. The POA never budged. Leupold VX-1 2-7.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 60 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,908
Posts18,518,596
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.