Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Both Kingston and Tedhorn pointed out NOT using the strap reduces the effective use of the poles. I’m sure YMMV is appropriate in this situation. Being a novice and never using them. I will try both ways, including using only one stick. I can see the benefits of trekking poles, especially after reading the posts of many who are avid hunters and spanning an age group which suggests young and old have benefited from having them...You all have been very helpful. Thank you for that...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Both Kingston and Tedhorn pointed out NOT using the strap reduces the effective use of the poles. I’m sure YMMV is appropriate in this situation. Being a novice and never using them. I will try both ways, including using only one stick. I can see the benefits of trekking poles, especially after reading the posts of many who are avid hunters and spanning an age group which suggests young and old have benefited from having them...You all have been very helpful. Thank you for that...😎

YouTube how to use the wrist strap and correct adjustment. Not ussing the strap IMO would reduce the poles effectiveness

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One more reason I like a cane... wrist strap unnecessary. In fact, I take it off all mine.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a cheap shooting stick at Wal-Mart which doubles as a trekking pole for me. I've got some balance issues due to a heart condition, and it makes a huge difference. For me. I plan on buying some actual trekking poles for now fall.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I bought a cheap shooting stick at Wal-Mart which doubles as a trekking pole for me. I've got some balance issues due to a heart condition, and it makes a huge difference. For me. I plan on buying some actual trekking poles for now fall.

Look over at Amazon

My wife and I field tested some poles marketed by Alpine Summit

With cork grips and strong flick locks we couldn't find a thing wrong with them as a matter of fact they seemed to be of a very high quality vs their low price point.

We had the option to keep them or return them........we kept both sets!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Leki poles I ordered shipped from the UK. It looked like they wouldn’t deliver before Christmas, so I ordered the Alpine Summit poles you tested from Amazon. Today the Leki’s showed up. AS poles deliver tomorrow. I’m keeping all of them. Wife will have a couple sets now too. The Leki poles are very nice! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My next set I will probably try the cork grips. I got the foam grips on my first set. They are pretty good but I understand the cork is great.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My next set I will probably try the cork grips. I got the foam grips on my first set. They are pretty good but I understand the cork is great.

The difference is quite real, just make sure yo get real cork... there are "quasi cork" handles out there that are just molded plastic with cork bits in the plastic. They're quite hard and not everyone likes them. Black Diamond uses real cork, no plastic admixture, at least on their more expensive models. Real cork is nice and soft in the hand.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Cork is the way to go... you won't know it till you try it...

Public landowner...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Whatever style you buy, you will soon realize the benefit they are. In rocky terrain, I have broken or bent all the high end poles and will settle on moderately priced sets.
Straps are also a benefit as you can use your hand without losing the pole for a variety of tasks. Don't forget to match your baskets to the terrain you expect.
Trekking poles, snowshoes and an elk tag are about as good as it gets.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
screw snowshoes....give me a good packhorse.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So do you boys prefer carbon or aluminum? My current set is aluminum and they seem very strong.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So do you boys prefer carbon or aluminum? My current set is aluminum and they seem very strong.

The carbon are lighter... I don't know if they're stronger... I've never broken either... my carbon ones have cork handles so I like them a little bit better...

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Carbon for general travel, aluminum or alloys for potential deadman anchors in deep snow slopes.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
screw snowshoes....give me a good packhorse.

I have a good packhorse, his name is snowshoes. You can borrow him, but don't try to screw him, he won't have no truck with that......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Carbon for general travel, aluminum or alloys for potential deadman anchors in deep snow slopes.

Deadman anchors?? Do you hunt woth formidilosus, or what?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My last backpack hunt would not have been possible without them. Have come to use them for most outings. Using flick-lock black diamonds now; plenty strong and not too pricey. Over the years, wore out some aluminum ones and had one set broken by a friend. I don't expect them to last forever. Can't count the number of times they have kept me out of trouble.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a set of Leki poles. I often use them 2hen hiking or even walking in town. I have rubber covers for the carbide tip. They stabilize and protect ankles from turning. They also help to excerise your arms and back.

I bought my girl friend a pair from Walmart. I was not sure how much she would use them. We both keep them in our vehicle to use when we go out for a hike.

As others have stated, they help both uphill and down.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.