-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Over the years, I have accumulated a handful of different computers. My new main desktop is running the latest update of Win 10. Others are:

My old desktop, which I ran for years on Win 7 then 10 but which I now have converted to Linux Mint.

An ancient Netbook with very limited resources, originally Win XP now running Linux Lite

A Nextbook that came with Win 7, upgraded itself to Win 10, but barely has the resources to run it.

A GPS/tablet that runs a hybrid Android OS when running as a tablet but is primarily a car GPS.

And, my latest, a Chromebook laptop running the Chrome OS.

It's a bit confusing going from one to the other, but they all run well. I really like this Mint system, and am going to spend more time with it to see if I like KMYMONEY software as much as I like Quicken 2010. If it is even close, I'm going to drop Win 10. I'm typing this on the Mint computer, in fact.

The Chromebook is designed to be an online all the time system, using the Google cloud for storage, home to most software, and everything else. It has some quirks (the machine I got was originally designed for school use and has some features that keep little kids from screwing it up) but it's clean, VERY fast, and both virus and idiot-proof.

Win 10 is powerful, familiar, and universal. It is also a tyrant that changes at its own whim, has stuff I do NOT want and have trouble locking out. It also demands anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-phishing, anti...everything, or it gets hacked and plundered. PITA would be the summary. But it does run Quicken.

Linux Lite is small enough to run on even the puniest of systems, yet still comes with almost everything you need, including Firefox and Open Office.

The Rand McNally hybrid Android tablet is a very good car GPS but a half-ass tablet. It runs Firefox and does serve as a more or less acceptable travel tablet if all I need to do is check email, these forums, and maybe play solitaire. But for under $50 I couldn't go wrong. I can't really judge it as an Android machine because it has been so heavily adapted to primarily be a GPS. But it's my last-place favorite system.

Open for questions or comments.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What are we supposed to ask?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had Mint as a dual boot on an old system and Windows 7 Pro on this one. As a user it didn't make much difference. But Windows is so widespread I program for/under Windows. More toolchain options too. Though I don't like working with the Windows OS, it's a pile of barnacles, APIs and libraries help.

My limited experience with Windows 10 may drive me to Mint. Anything that relies on "the cloud" is malware as far as I"m concerned.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last winter, I had the Vista software turn belly up on a laptop. I was complaining about it and one of the fire members said since it was a software issue and not a computer problem to give Ubuntu a try. I wasn't smart enough to do all that, but the DIL is, so she did it for me. I'm using ubuntu and for what little I do on the computer it is ok. There are still a few things I haven't got figured out, but they are minor.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ubuntu is a version of Linux - one of many. I tried it a couple of years ago and it wiped out the desktop (a surplus one, fortunately). Figuring out how make a bootable USB or DVD is the hardest part when installing Linux. Once you download the install program, you have to use a conversion program to transfer it to a DVD/USB stick. The simplest free one I've found is RUFUS 2.17 (do a search).

The latest version of Linux Mint is the Rebecca update. (They rather eccentrically use feminine names ending in "a" for their revisions, instead of numbers like 2.1.1) It took only about 10 minutes to completely wipe the hard drive and install itself on my old Gateway desktop. As I said in the OP, I'm liking it more and more.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had been using Ubuntu for the last few years on a laptop and pretty much hated it the whole time. The eccentricities and non-supported items you have to work around I could live with. What drove me nuts was that the whole system would just freeze regularly, and I never found a way to escape that outside of crashing the machine and starting all the way back up. The other bad habit it had was that any browser I used would regularly get completely bogged down with scripts and make the internet unusable. Maybe my experience is unusual, I don't know. I'm not a microsoft fan at all but I just recently replaced the laptop with a Windows 10 HP desktop and my blood pressure and profanity are markedly reduced.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ubuntu doesn't run on everything, I loaded it on a Lenovo desktop I have and it went bezerk! I loaded Mint on it and it ran fine.

The laptop I'm using right now has had Ubuntu on it for nearly 3 years and hasn't had 1 hiccup, Windoze is no longer an option in my household.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Rufus, you should consider going to Mint. It is highly stable. Or, if you have as little as 1 gig of memory and a small drive, try Linux Lite.

As I mentioned, I tried Ubuntu but it crashed my machine so bad it would not even boot after that. Totally dead - but also totally safe to take to the recycling plant!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.