Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Sheldon took over 500 head of NA game with the .256 Mannlicher, including 70-80 Grizzly and Brown Bears.

This just about squashes out any desire to own a 30 cal magnum.

Shooting Sheldons guns won’t make you a hunter any more than using Tiger Wood’s golf clubs will get you into the PGA...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did Jeff kill a bull with the Creed ? That is the real question???

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know this topics has been sidetracked, but did the OP get an elk?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CRS
I know this topics has been sidetracked, but did the OP get an elk?

Inquiring minds want to know.

And if so, did he happen to weigh the hind quarters?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Sheldon took over 500 head of NA game with the .256 Mannlicher, including 70-80 Grizzly and Brown Bears.

This just about squashes out any desire to own a 30 cal magnum.

Shooting Sheldons guns won’t make you a hunter any more than using Tiger Wood’s golf clubs will get you into the PGA...

On the other hand, if someone were to give me the same set of clubs Tiger Woods uses, I'd be hard pressed to say I needed anything "better."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Or did Jeff cripple a bull and is keeping his mouth shut...

Molon Labe
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Brad
Bell, Selous, Smuts, and Charles Sheldon used various 6.5's of lesser velocity and bullet quality than what is available with today's 6.5 Creedmoor. Sheldon took over 500 head of NA game with the .256 Mannlicher, including 70-80 Grizzly and Brown Bears.

And yet somehow through conjecture, group-think, and pure guessing the reigning opinion is the 6.5 Creedmoor is not up to elk.

I've shot enough large bull elk to stick my neck out and say it should work, and work well... I plan on wringing it out in the future.

So you base YOUR opinion on others and not on any personal experience, yet rail on my ass for not having personally used the 6.5? WTF?

So I guess I should sell all my Weatherby magnums and run out and by a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor? Fat fuggin chance of that! LOL

As long as I'm physically capable of shooting a .300 Wby or 7mm Wby, I won't be using any of the aforementioned .264s for elk.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd rather have something bigger for elk than a Creedmor, but that's just me. To me the Creedmore is better suited for deer and antelope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by WAM

14 hours ago I posted that I have no personal experience with the Creedmoor. See above.

It is my opinion that none of the Creedmoors shoot heavy enough bullets at an adequate velocity providing enough penetration and exits to reliably put down elk in every situation. My belief is founded in seeing failures with similar cartridges and flat out believing the 6mm and 6.5 CM are really not adequate for elk. Again, just my opinion and I certainly respect yours.

Opinion, based in belief, founded on guesses... I find it difficult to respect an opinion based on nothing but preconceived ideas coupled with no experience.

There are plenty of people here on 24 hr, as well as local friends, that have taken elk with the small 6.5's. For now I'll stick with their opinion until I form my own based on actual experience. When I post on these threads I try to speak only from personal experience.

And BTW, this thread is about the 6.5 Creedmoor... not the 6mm version.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad, read Finn alot, one article his wife was going after elk with her Sako 7/08. Apparently after she bagged her elk, they discovered she grabbed the wrong ammo, 140 Rem CL is what she used. IIRC, the older loadings used the 139 IL SP - over W760. Nothing fancy, but you can bet she used good shot placement. Hmm.

Anytime Elk and the 6.5 comes up, I think of Alan aka GSSP. His Elk was taken just under 1,000 yds using a 47 Lapua w/127 LRX. One shot.....

Yeah, that must have been luck right? It's not rocket science.

If one used archery as an analogy, "Is this Bow powerful enough for xyz?"

Well put a sharp broadhead thru vitals and get back with me....after you dressed your game.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I watched my son flatten a big old cow at a shade over 500 yards with a 127LRX outta the .260 the other day.... it went through about 36” of elk before it exited. I’d have no problem running a 6.5 Creed on an elk hunt... provided we’re talking sound projectiles.

Stunt shooter...

Public landowner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
Brad, read Finn alot, one article his wife was going after elk with her Sako 7/08. Apparently after she bagged her elk, they discovered she grabbed the wrong ammo, 140 Rem CL is what she used. IIRC, the older loadings used the 139 IL SP - over W760. Nothing fancy, but you can bet she used good shot placement. Hmm.

Anytime Elk and the 6.5 comes up, I think of Alan aka GSSP. His Elk was taken just under 1,000 yds using a 47 Lapua w/127 LRX. One shot.....

Yeah, that must have been luck right? It's not rocket science.

If one used archery as an analogy, "Is this Bow powerful enough for xyz?"

Well put a sharp broadhead thru vitals and get back with me....after you dressed your game.

The one and only bull I've taken with a 150 Ballistic Tip and the 7-08. Died faster than any other bull I've taken, with any cartridge, on up to the 338 WM... I doubt a 6.5 Creedmoor would have behaved differently:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice elk Brad !

Love the 140 AB in the 7/08, but in the BT, the 150 to my thinking is a much better big game bullet, I assume the jacket is heavier and retained weight better, as well as residual energy. I would not hesitate using it as you did, or in the 150/JOC combo wink The Latter dumped a large buck for me....in 3 short leaps, about like a 200gr BT did from a 338/06.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My only kill to date was this Alaskan caribou at 275 yds. with a 143gr. ELD-X with 43gr R-16. One shot and that was it. That is McKinley in the background - 75 miles away.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/27/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice bull, Brad! How many times did you shoot him to die so quickly?

Is the photo of your body double or are you in the Witness Protection Program?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
65BR, I would have preferred the 140 AB, but in that particular rifle the Ballistic Tip was incredibly accurate. I actually think the jacket is the same as the 140 Accubond. Regardless, either are great bullets.

Joe, that's a really great photo of you and the caribou!

WAM - one shot with 32" of penetration angling forward from the ribs, through the lungs, and to the off side shoulder.

But obviously cartridges like the 7-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor aren't adequate as we can clearly see...

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Brad, I'm not trying to be critical. It just looked like 2 wound areas on his side. Great bull in anybody's book!

Point taken. I'll shut up about the 6.5's and keep my opinions to myself on that subject. I can't wait to see what the marketeers sell us next since the 6.5x55 and .260 Rem have been around a long time and never gained much popularity.

Happy Trails

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
WAM,

It isn’t about marketeers selling the 6.5 Creedmoor. Quite the contrary- you never needed a magnum to kill elk easily. THAT was and is marketing. What you are seeing with the Creedmoor is a rediscovery by the masses that you don’t need magnums.

Nothing more.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Formidilosus,

You have a great point there!

I have been wrong before and I can prove it.

Happy Trails

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
Brad, I'm not trying to be critical. It just looked like 2 wound areas on his side.

Good eye!

When he went down, in his death-throes, he somehow managed to impale himself... the higher blood spot near the spine is where his 6th point got caught in his hide. In all my years hunting I've never seen this... it was a real chore to get the antler unstuck.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,411
Posts18,507,124
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.