Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Caribou
79s, 99 outta 100 Alaska State Troopers are just right for the job, but the Human Factor included, that 1 in a hundred crossing your path is [bleep].
Fact is, if they were more interested in the truth and Justice rather than image, we would see it at 100% very soon.

Lets hope so!!

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Back to the question of firearms.......

Caribou, why does your wife shoot a Moisin with open sights when there are so many seemingly better options?

I'm not anti-Moisin, I've got a 1917 Remington Armory and a Finnish M39, but they aren't rifles that I would want to depend on to feed myself or my family if there were other options.

The M-39 is her preferred rifle.

We once had a collection of more than 120 various Mosins. I discovered the Finns M-28/30 when I was in high school in a bi-athlon class. Cant argue with an exceedinly accurate rifle, and Simo Hyha, thehighest scoring sniper ever did it with an open sighted Mosin M-28/30

The M-39, the successor to the M-28/30 in Finish Civil Guard use is ultra accurate and quality, consistent ammo in the form of Czeck LPS 'Silver tip' was available for 68$ per 800, so we bought 40 crates laugh

Shooting the same rifle with the same consistent ammo produces excellent results.

My wife is 5'1 and 125lbs. The 10 lbs of rifle is nothing for her to carry all day, the weight keeps the recoil off her as well. It travels well on a snowgo with its steel but plate and a bunji cord, has a positive safety that also locks the bolt closed.
The bolt is straight and easy to use with gloves on as is the trigger guard large.
Theres a cleaning rod to keep the chamber scrubbed and snow out of the muzzle.
The sling is side mounted for easier riding across the chest, so snow wont accumulate (it will anyways) too much and if you wreck your ride, you can wrap and roll with it, instead of break your back.
the firing pin can be adjusted to the deep cold, the wood covers the metals so our hands dont freeze or burn from the steel, the sights are awesome, the triggers tuned and when SAKO and Tikka made them with Valmet, who could make a greater rifle??

Remember,I was the Hunter in the family before I was made a felon. because she ahd to step up to pull the trigger, we had quite a learning curve and a pretty good time. Not much different than when I taught our sons how to hunt, all right.
my wife did follow her parents and did some hunting as a kid on her own, but shes one to tend kids , home and such work, and hunting wasnt her main occupation in our marriage.
I am the one with the skill sets needed for a living to be made. Her hardest time was tring to learn the lead on moving Caribou, because after the first shot, all Caribou are moving.

She has tried several types of rifle, and has a vast selection still, if shes wants to use something else.A Nat Match M1A has been a fun toy, and I tryed her out this spring, but wen back to the M-39 when I found one that shot as I liked.

When I gave the M1A a try, I do very well, ''Untill" I need to lead something moving. Man, that peep drives me nuts then....with more practice , I will master it, but for serious hunting, well, Thats where Im at with a rifle, the m-39, because I have leading 'Down'
[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_HeadshotHeartshotHeadshot.mp4[/img]
When I can get 3 for 3 as routinely as I can with my M-39, or a double tap to the head at 450 yards on a moving Bear, Ill consitter the rifle.

[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_BB11AgnesIandaBrownbear.mp4[/img]

Thanks for the answer. A rugged rifle is a good choice in an inhospitable environment.

My M39 is a Sako, made in 1944 for the Civil Guard and marked SK.Y.

My 1917 Remington Armory is one of the rifles made for Imperial Russia. When they defaulted on the purchase, the U.S. Army bought some to be used as basic training rifles and mine has the U.S. Army Ordinance Cartouche "RAW".on the right side of the stock and a flaming bomb cartouche on the bottom of the stock just forward of the magazine.

Too bad they can't tell us their histories.

GB1

M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I studied the M39 for a long time. The simplicity of the design and the cartridge ballistics seemed like a good choice. I finally ended up buying a 98 Mauser custom. My 98 was converted to a 30-06 sporter by a gunsmith named Flaig. The rifle was one of those that was advertised in the National Rifleman for $59.00 during the 50's

I have update the Mauser at great cost to a modern custom rifle. The Flaig conversion was a 30-06 barrel, side mount peep sight and custom stock. I updated the gun with a scope mount, scope safety and timmey trigger set. I pillar bedded the stock and re-blued the metal.

Each step in the sporter process I realized that I was stepping away from the original Mauser design with costs and benefits. I keep coming back to the understanding of the simple inline design of the M39 was the reason it worked so well. Adding the scope mount to the M98 required drilling the receiver to add the Leopold one piece mount. Drilling through crest on the receiver was hard and it also hurt the value of the gun. I was lucky and the mount went on ok. The final design is a mount that relies on three 6-32 at a 90 degree angle to forces, the opposite to the original Mauser design. All of the other sporter modifications had a similar flaw in the design, The timmey trigger set hung on two screws at 90 degree. The stock hung on two screws at 90 degree. All of the military mounting of the full length wood was lost.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Merry Christmas to all!

Chip, I've found that half a blade of lead on moving targets with the M1A wide blade is often more than enough at about 300 yards or so. Obviously that depends on a lot, but I prefer when using irons to figure out how much of the blade, IE it might the the full left or right side and go from there, once have that in my head I can just continue to trophy trigger the gun like it was a rattle battle match.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Interesting read ... Anyone know what caliber Charlie's rifle is??? I kind of thought it might be a .300WSM???? Nice to hear about and from the folks in this fine show.. Enjoyed it, keep it coming..

On the episode he shot the moose he had the shells on his belt, looked like a 30-06 to me.

I too was wondering about Charlie’s caliber - like AKPENDUDE mentioned, I think it’s a .30-06. Based on the moose episode and the latest episode where Charlie shot the bear. When he was reloading the cartridges looked a lot like .30-06. Gotta think in such a light gun it would kick some.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just keeping caught up!!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Anyone have an idea where to stream the show from? Hulu has only season 1 on it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
Merry Christmas to all!

Chip, I've found that half a blade of lead on moving targets with the M1A wide blade is often more than enough at about 300 yards or so. Obviously that depends on a lot, but I prefer when using irons to figure out how much of the blade, IE it might the the full left or right side and go from there, once have that in my head I can just continue to trophy trigger the gun like it was a rattle battle match.

While camped this summer, I was chucking chunks of wood into the river and bangin' away, until I wouldn't see 'em anymore,
Ive been using the Marine Corp M-14 Rifle manual, a 1/2 sheet of plywood painted white out to 800 yards, and 10 inch gongs set up about 100 yards apart .1.000 yards next summer, with some more targets and a better place for such a distance (willows get in the way after 800 yards)
Getting on paper isnt hard at all, nor is bangin' the gongs out there. PMC 'Bronze' 150 grain 7.62x51 at about 40 rounds a day.

Lots of practice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think a 30-06 is about ''all around' when it comes to Alaska. None of those folks on Last Alaskans are undergunned.
I bet Heimo got a great education in 'use enough gun' his younger days on St.Lawernce Island learning to hunt the ocean as the Siberian Yup'ik Eskimo family of Edna's did.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chip's making me rethink my plan to sell my M1A...

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Merry Christmas to all!

While camped this summer, I was chucking chunks of wood into the river and bangin' away, until I wouldn't see 'em anymore,
Ive been using the Marine Corp M-14 Rifle manual, a 1/2 sheet of plywood painted white out to 800 yards, and 10 inch gongs set up about 100 yards apart .1.000 yards next summer, with some more targets and a better place for such a distance (willows get in the way after 800 yards)
Getting on paper isnt hard at all, nor is bangin' the gongs out there. PMC 'Bronze' 150 grain 7.62x51 at about 40 rounds a day.

Lots of practice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think a 30-06 is about ''all around' when it comes to Alaska. None of those folks on Last Alaskans are undergunned.
I bet Heimo got a great education in 'use enough gun' his younger days on St.Lawernce Island learning to hunt the ocean as the Siberian Yup'ik Eskimo family of Edna's did.

I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Anyone have an idea where to stream the show from? Hulu has only season 1 on it.

Discovery Channel has them all>

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Much respect for the life-style...way too tough for me.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
''I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.''
(quote thingy wont work)

The SKS's are the girls, my 13 year old and my 16 year old.Carol is in the picture trying my M-39, and she was doing quite well, getting a heavy rifle like that out past 300 yrds. She has an M-39of her own, but it is hard to put down a much trusted and accurate rifle that she has with her SKS..........Im fairly sure she like the idea of 'More guns' ........LOL!!.

Being on the smaller size of gals,(5' even and 5'3") her and the youngest, Qutan, both fit and handled the SKS's size and recoil, while my middle daughter Mary used her Brno CZ527 in 7.62x39 for many years as well.
Now that they are getting grown, they are better able to properly use the larger, full power cartridges, and both have a Mosin and all the ammo they want to pound away with.
The two oldest daughter had .223s when they were growing up, the boys too.

Range with the 7.62x39 is the limiting factor. The rifles are accurate enough. We teach them to get close with game, only use a gun they can make a killing with, and if the 7.62x39 is treated like a .30-30, and its limitations, then all is well. They know when Not to shoot as well.

The AK is a 5.56 I put together, An AK-47 flat, AKMS under folding stock/under folding stock trunion,, Ak47 bolt carrier, Bulgarian .223 bolt (spring loaded firing pin, short stem), a 23mm Bulgarian trunion, a Bulgarian barrel I turned to 18.5mm and fitted AK-74 from the rear sight base forward.
Mags are the Chinese 5.56 steel 30 and 40 rounders I ended up with a ton of, so I put em to use
I put German G3 front and rear sights and a flash hider, wooden furniture and a tapco trigger group, and enough USA made stuff for legality's sake.
Still, its not bad out to 400 yards with 55grn stuff, probably further if I really tried.

Last edited by Caribou; 12/26/18.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

If you are talking about the Last Alaskans, Hulu Live, or if you have DirecTV you can stream it from your device. Other than that, I am stuck in the same boat being away form home at the moment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
''I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.''
(quote thingy wont work)

The SKS's are the girls, my 13 year old and my 16 year old.Carol is in the picture trying my M-39, and she was doing quite well, getting a heavy rifle like that out past 300 yrds. She has an M-39of her own, but it is hard to put down a much trusted and accurate rifle that she has with her SKS..........Im fairly sure she like the idea of 'More guns' ........LOL!!.

Being on the smaller size of gals,(5' even and 5'3") her and the youngest, Qutan, both fit and handled the SKS's size and recoil, while my middle daughter Mary used her Brno CZ527 in 7.62x39 for many years as well.
Now that they are getting grown, they are better able to properly use the larger, full power cartridges, and both have a Mosin and all the ammo they want to pound away with.
The two oldest daughter had .223s when they were growing up, the boys too.

Range with the 7.62x39 is the limiting factor. The rifles are accurate enough. We teach them to get close with game, only use a gun they can make a killing with, and if the 7.62x39 is treated like a .30-30, and its limitations, then all is well. They know when Not to shoot as well.

The AK is a 5.56 I put together, An AK-47 flat, AKMS under folding stock/under folding stock trunion,, Ak47 bolt carrier, Bulgarian .223 bolt (spring loaded firing pin, short stem), a 23mm Bulgarian trunion, a Bulgarian barrel I turned to 18.5mm and fitted AK-74 from the rear sight base forward.
Mags are the Chinese 5.56 steel 30 and 40 rounders I ended up with a ton of, so I put em to use
I put German G3 front and rear sights and a flash hider, wooden furniture and a tapco trigger group, and enough USA made stuff for legality's sake.
Still, its not bad out to 400 yards with 55grn stuff, probably further if I really tried.

From what I've read, the folks who have Ruger American Ranch rifles in 7.62x39 are getting excellent accuracy from them. I bought my Wife one of the Davidson's non-cataloged stainless 77 MK2 in 7.62x39 back in the 1990's, but it isn't the most accurate rifles I've owned, perhaps due to the long tapered throat that eases .311" bullets into .308" bores.

Lyman used to, maybe still does, make a receiver sight for the SKS that mounts on the left side of the frame, not on the receiver cover like the 57C, and, at least for me, allows for a longer sight radius and a little more precision, or at least as much precision as a NORINCO SKS is likely to produce. Back in the early 1990's I thought that the flood of new $90 Chinese SKSs would become the most common barn/ranch/truck gun in the U.S., but they didn't.

I'm not much of an AK guy, probably due to the fact that during my 7 years in the Army, almost everyone with an AK was the enemy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Caribou-

Great read on the Mosin. Thanks for taking the time to inform from a real user!

Regards,
Razorhog

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I disagree that the 7.62x39 is inaccurate. The rifle may be inaccurate, but not the cartridge.
Below are 5 groups shot in competition with a 7.62x39 improved.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Of course we shoot them with a 308 barrel and 308 bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMHO these Alaskan reality tv shows are as fake as plastic tits. I'm not trying to suggest the people themselves are fake but they are not truthfully represented on the shows. If you live in town 8-9 months a year then haul on out to your remote cabin an try to present yourself as one of the last "sourdoughs life style Alaskan" that lives off the grid that is not truthfull. Not much different than someone in the lower 48 with a remote shack they spend the fall months in...i.e. I live in a nice home in the suburbs on a nice retired school administers retirement from spring until September then I open camp and spend Sept. thru March living there without electricity, running water,etc. 80% of what I eat was game taken in the fall smoked an hung in the shed. Does that make me a " Last Pennsylvanian" ? No it makes me a retired school administrator that likes solitude an does not mind roughing it a bit.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If you lived in an Alaskan Village and went 'camping' for those 6 months, you would be a fairly normal 'Bush'.
Having gatherd 80% of what you eat, would make you sort of 'average', though that cant be done in one season if you support as family.
Alot of people in bush Ak have houses and camp here and there , hunting/fishing/gathering, depending on their transportation, what they want to get as food and where that food is relative to them.
A lot of people in villages dont have to camp out anymore due to the high rate of speed a boat or snowmachine, most can sleep at home. Some of us just make it a full time 'job', and since we live in the middle of a very large Caribou migration route, its easy to choose and still succeed, stay in the village or got out and have a good time.
Aswell, the folks on the show were doing this before there was a show , except Heimo and Edna on Nat Geos 'Braving AK', and that was them living there full time.

What would be fake would be saying they lived out there full time or such, when they dont.

Big Stick
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
IMHO these Alaskan reality tv shows are as fake as plastic tits. I'm not trying to suggest the people themselves are fake but they are not truthfully represented on the shows. If you live in town 8-9 months a year then haul on out to your remote cabin an try to present yourself as one of the last "sourdoughs life style Alaskan" that lives off the grid that is not truthfull. Not much different than someone in the lower 48 with a remote shack they spend the fall months in...i.e. I live in a nice home in the suburbs on a nice retired school administers retirement from spring until September then I open camp and spend Sept. thru March living there without electricity, running water,etc. 80% of what I eat was game taken in the fall smoked an hung in the shed. Does that make me a " Last Pennsylvanian" ? No it makes me a retired school administrator that likes solitude an does not mind roughing it a bit.

Some are fake. The Alaska Bush People would die pretty quick in the real world. The Seldens live in the Goldstream Valley in a dry cabin off of the grid and they don't go into town except about once every other week to the farmer's market. What the shows don't really show you is how expensive a charter is. Some are made into characters. Marty Meirotto from Mountain Men is a freaking beast and a half in real life and they show him to be weak and tentative. People freeze to death in Fairbanks all of the time. One guy died at his house on Chena Ridge that was off grid and dry and nobody figured it out for over two years. Gary Green on the Edge of Alaska is real but the rest of the dialogue and elements of that show were as fake as you could get.

M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I see a lot of reality. Catching a fish, shooting a Caribou at long distance, -20F weather, A chainsaw that is so stiff that it can't be pulled. These are all things that can't be faked. One thing I always thought about is how do they stay warm in those log cabins at -40F. I own a log cabin and it isn't easy to keep going and I am only trying at 30F to 20F.

Last edited by MM879; 12/28/18.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,546
Posts18,472,944
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.