Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend wants me to help him buy"the best scope he has ever bought." His budget is about $400.
His current scope is a Barska 4-12X56. Weight won't matter and he won't be shooting over 300 yards.

I'm a little nervous about making a recommendation because he is expecting a lot. I doubt he has ever spent over $100 for a scope and he is expecting a lot.

Right now I'm thinking Meopta 3-9X50. Any better suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is one of your beloved Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32's on the Classifieds for $400. He may want more mag/objective though?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Doug had some Meopta 3.5-10x44 #4 reticles for that price range a few days ago. Leupold vx3I might be in that range as well

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most anything will be an improvement from my point of view. For 300 yard shots he doesn't need a Hubble. Talk to Doug about a Hawke, lot of scope for the money it seems.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I'm a little nervous about making a recommendation because he is expecting a lot. I doubt he has ever spent over $100 for a scope and he is expecting a lot.

He currently has a BARSKA yet he has high expectations? laugh

is 50mm(+) a must?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have the Meopta 3.5-10x44 #4 on sale for $399.99

Also have a Sig Sauer 3-9x40 WHISKEY3 Riflescope with the HellFire TriPlex Reticle, #SOW33108 for only $199.99. Give a call as this is not on our site

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane

He currently has a BARSKA yet he has high expectations? laugh

is 50mm(+) a must?

I know,right,but he thinks he will be buying something astounding at $400. I don't think 50mm is a must but I think he will like it better given his leanings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

This and done.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

This and done.

There is nothing else at that price, I had one and still get to use it from time to time

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Does he want something in the same power range or doesn't it matter ? What rifle is it going on ?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With that budget, I would go with a SWFA SS 6x42 at $299. Six power is plenty for 300 and under, and it will actually work and retain zero.

If he wants a variable, I would look at the Burris Fullfield II's. But, I would definitely do the SS myself.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ChetAF
With that budget, I would go with a SWFA SS 6x42 at $299. Six power is plenty for 300 and under, and it will actually work and retain zero.

If he wants a variable, I would look at the Burris Fullfield II's. But, I would definitely do the SS myself.

I hear you but that kind of guy would be trying some seriously fugged up shots with his new sniper scope. He needs a set and forget.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I'm trying to get him in that direction,and he didn't mind the idea of target knobs. I've had a couple of the 3-9's in the past but don't have one now. I want to get one in his hands,so if he likes the reticle,it will be the obvious choice. I doubt he will want a 6X though,as he kept telling me how he liked to zoom in on one with the 12X Barska. He missed his best ever buck at about 75 yards though,sitting down using shooting sticks, and he is re-evaluating his scope choice.

He might go for the 3-15 SS. There are some cheaper moa versions and maybe even a non FFP version,I think,not sure. Anyway,would you recommend a 3-15 SS model for someone who likes higher power and wants the toughest scope he can get for the money? He was talking about wanting to shoot long range,but I figured out that would be 300 yards and probably never over 400.

He is also shooting a Mossberg 270 bolt gun with synthetic stock,and factory ammo. I told him we would start with the gun and check it over and I would help him mount the scope. He said his gun shot cloverleafs when he tested it,but who knows? I've seen guys say that because they just happened to shoot one good group chasing zero all over for the first 30 rounds, and called it the end and perfect after that last "lucky" group.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He might go for the 3-15 SS. There are some cheaper moa versions and maybe even a non FFP version,I think,not sure. Anyway,would you recommend a 3-15 SS model for someone who likes higher power and wants the toughest scope he can get for the money? He was talking about wanting to shoot long range,but I figured out that would be 300 yards and probably never over 400.

I would recommend it and have to several of my hunting buddies who want a good scope with higher magnification, but, for whatever reason, don't want to spend big bucks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I hear you but that kind of guy would be trying some seriously fugged up shots with his new sniper scope. He needs a set and forget.

Probably right,..but he won't be able to get ridiculous anywhere close to home. There are actually very few places to shoot over 300 yards locally,and you only get the longer shots on a power line or cut-over after the first year or two,after that it's too grown up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Touche! grin

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think ,right now,I'll recommend the 3-15 SS if he can deal with the knobs and reticle,and if not a Meopta with their #4.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm trying to get him in that direction,and he didn't mind the idea of target knobs. I've had a couple of the 3-9's in the past but don't have one now. I want to get one in his hands,so if he likes the reticle,it will be the obvious choice. I doubt he will want a 6X though,as he kept telling me how he liked to zoom in on one with the 12X Barska. He missed his best ever buck at about 75 yards though,sitting down using shooting sticks, and he is re-evaluating his scope choice.

He is also shooting a Mossberg 270 bolt gun with synthetic stock,and factory ammo. I told him we would start with the gun and check it over and I would help him mount the scope. He said his gun shot cloverleafs when he tested it,but who knows? I've seen guys say that because they just happened to shoot one good group chasing zero all over for the first 30 rounds, and called it the end and perfect after that last "lucky" group.

Yes, the SS 3-15 is a good scope. I have one that I have used a lot over the last few years and it would be a great choice if he likes a higher power variable. I just figured it was over his budget, but if there are some in the $400 range out there, they will work fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eBay could be his friend...If he’s a hard charger a Super Chicken 3-15x42 can be had in his price range. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Beaver10
eBay could be his friend...If he’s a hard charger a Super Chicken 3-15x42 can be had in his price range. 😎

Yea,I might talk him into a few dollars more but I hate to hard sell it before he can even see the reticle. He had never seen a FFP scope either.

Then there's mounts. I think he has some of those air gun company mounts on it now,..forget the name.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10ring1, 1minute, 160user, 222ND, 257 mag, 1Longbow, 77 invisible), 11,917 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,268
Posts18,544,884
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.