Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Beaver10
eBay could be his friend...If heโ€™s a hard charger a Super Chicken 3-15x42 can be had in his price range. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Yea,I might talk him into a few dollars more but I hate to hard sell it before he can even see the reticle. He had never seen a FFP scope either.

Then there's mounts. I think he has some of those air gun company mounts on it now,..forget the name.

Daisy?

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Originally Posted by Beaver10
eBay could be his friend...If heโ€™s a hard charger a Super Chicken 3-15x42 can be had in his price range. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Yea,I might talk him into a few dollars more but I hate to hard sell it before he can even see the reticle. He had never seen a FFP scope either.

Then there's mounts. I think he has some of those air gun company mounts on it now,..forget the name.

Daisy?

Ha,Ha.. No,something ultra cheap in 30mm rings.I just remember the air gun guys use them mostly. I'll try to talk him into a decent rail and likely give him a good set of rings.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/04/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
putting a scope like that on a 250.00 plastic stocked Mossberg is like putting lipstick on a pig.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
putting a scope like that on a 250.00 plastic stocked Mossberg is like putting lipstick on a pig.

What do you have your SWFA's on? What didn't you like about the Mossberg bolt action you've owned?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

The're cheap rifles ,but I hear they shoot. I think they are about like a Savage 110.

Even so ,I would rather have a $500 scope on a $200 rifle,rather than the other way around. That's if if shoots decent.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What about a VX-3i 3.5-10?

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The're cheap rifles ,but I hear they shoot. I think they are about like a Savage 110.

Even so ,I would rather have a $500 scope on a $200 rifle,rather than the other way around. That's if if shoots decent.
If 500.00 scopes were mandatory to kill deer/game I'd never have killed anything in my life. Having killed well over 200 deer over the last 45 years as well as thousands of varmints/predators/small game animals you might be able to see how rediculous I think that is.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=gr8fuldoug]We have the Meopta 3.5-10x44 #4 on sale for $399.99

This is as good as it gets for $400. A Great price from Doug.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

If 500.00 scopes were mandatory to kill deer/game I'd never have killed anything in my life. Having killed well over 200 deer over the last 45 years as well as thousands of varmints/predators/small game animals you might be able to see how rediculous I think that is.

It seems you just want to argue.I never said anything about needing a certain priced scope,or even any scope at all to kill a deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The $399 Meopta will be such an improvement over his Barska that he will be shocked. Even discerning rifle loonies might have trouble telling the difference between the Meopta and scopes 3-4X that price.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 01/04/19.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by peeshooter

Since he is using a Barska now anything would be an upgrade. I would think that he would be awed by the view through the VX-3i 3.5-10. Take him to a store and let him look through it and if he likes it with a little shopping one can be found for under the $400 budget, and maybe with enough money left over to buy him a decent set of rings.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's what I'd do. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by drover

Since he is using a Barska now anything would be an upgrade. I would think that he would be awed by the view through the VX-3i 3.5-10. Take him to a store and let him look through it and if he likes it with a little shopping one can be found for under the $400 budget, and maybe with enough money left over to buy him a decent set of rings.

drover

That was a possibility but I wonder if a Meopta won't have just as good of a view and perhaps hold up slightly better,if he wants a set and forget scope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

drover

That was a possibility but I wonder if a Meopta won't have just as good of a view and perhaps hold up slightly better,if he wants a set and forget scope.

They are all mechanical and anything mechanical can fail, but if he has been getting by with a Barska and it has not failed he must not be too hard on equipment. I have never owned a Meopta but have looked through a few and each case I was underwhelmed with the view - IMO the Leupold view is superior. But I also have excellent eyesight and not all of us see the same thing when looking through a scope. Before advising him to go one way or the other if you can find a store that carries a Meopta and Leupold take him there and let him have a look and make the decision from what he sees.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just my take.....

VX3i for under 300.00 bucks on Ebay and use the rest of the money for beer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

drover

They are all mechanical and anything mechanical can fail, but if he has been getting by with a Barska and it has not failed he must not be too hard on equipment. I have never owned a Meopta but have looked through a few and each case I was underwhelmed with the view - IMO the Leupold view is superior. But I also have excellent eyesight and not all of us see the same thing when looking through a scope. Before advising him to go one way or the other if you can find a store that carries a Meopta and Leupold take him there and let him have a look and make the decision from what he sees.

drover

Yea,that's a huge problem around here. He asked me because he knows I've owned a dozen different scopes in the last few years. Subjective as you say,since I liked the view of the Meopta's I've seen with the exception of one. I don't remember the model,but it had a wide zoom range but the low end had bad tunnel vision. The 3-9's and 4-12's I've seen,I would say are the equal at least to a VX3.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Burbank
Just my take.....

VX3i for under 300.00 bucks on Ebay and use the rest of the money for beer.

This man is a genius!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

drover

drover

Yea,that's a huge problem around here. He asked me because he knows I've owned a dozen different scopes in the last few years. Subjective as you say,since I liked the view of the Meopta's I've seen with the exception of one. I don't remember the model,but it had a wide zoom range but the low end had bad tunnel vision. The 3-9's and 4-12's I've seen,I would say are the equal at least to a VX3.

The Meopta/Cabelas/Zeiss old Conquest are at least the equal of the VX3 glass with the bonus of constant eye relief through the power range. The only thing the Leupold has over the Meopta is weight and slightly more compact dimensions. I would try to find one in the 3-9x40 instead of the 3-5-10 or 3-9x42 etc. They have a little longer eye relief.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I second the 3-9x40 Meopro. I think the Meopro 3.5-10x44/VX3i are great choices as well

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mil reticles and turrets are surely the way to go in a 3-15x scope. He'll be slinging 1000 yard shots at deer after only half a box of Corelokts at the dump shooting paint cans at 53 yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 13,282 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,271
Posts18,544,981
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.