Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have the RMR on my G40. I havent rang it out too much as I use it for javelina hunting. Killed one last Feb. Replaced the factory trigger with a Overwatch Precision DAT.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
[quote=jimmyp]How do you like the delta point pro compared to the viper? .

Interestingly enough, the USPSA equipment survey from the nationals just came out. For optics manufacturers in the Carry Optic division, it went like this:

Leupold = 36%
Sig = 29%
Vortex = 16%
C-More = 6%
Burris = 6%
Trijicon = 5%

Good info if you're setting up a competition gun. Don't be confused into thinking that translates to a carry gun though; there are significant differences that shuffle those optic choices around a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

Interestingly enough, the USPSA equipment survey from the nationals just came out. For optics manufacturers in the Carry Optic division, it went like this:

Leupold = 36%
Sig = 29%
Vortex = 16%
C-More = 6%
Burris = 6%
Trijicon = 5%

Good info if you're setting up a competition gun. Don't be confused into thinking that translates to a carry gun though; there are significant differences that shuffle those optic choices around a lot.

Such as?

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/04/19.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blue I called Leupold and they tell me the battery life on the delta point pro is 72 hours on bright enough to see in bright light setting. So does this bother you? I guess its ok for competition shooting but would hate the battery to die on me while hunting. Do you like the Delta Point Pro enough over the RMR that the battery lifetime is not significant in the grand scheme of things??

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
72 hours? How could you use that?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
[quote=jimmyp]How do you like the delta point pro compared to the viper? .

Leupold = 36%
Sig = 29%
Vortex = 16%
C-More = 6%
Burris = 6%
Trijicon = 5%

Let's see, gleaning information from shooters who use these sights in situations where a) they need them to work, repeatedly; b) they need a sight that is easy to see and acquire the target in a rapid manner; c) they want something that will be able to withstand thousands of rounds of firings and still be dependable and accurate;

Yeah, none of that would be applicable to someone interested in setting one up on a carry gun :roll eyes:

edited to add that, yes, not everything used in competition rolls over into daily use, but there is certainly some crossover and some information that can be beneficial/applicable to both.

Last edited by RyanTX; 01/04/19.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Leupold = 36%
Sig = 29%
Vortex = 16%
C-More = 6%
Burris = 6%
Trijicon = 5%

Such as?

Thanks,

Jerry

Such as varying light conditions, for one. A carry gun might be used in the dark, or in bright noon Arizona sun, and the optic should be automatically functional in either without adjusting settings. An optic on a competition gun can be adjusted for the current conditions, for the most part.

Leupold's motion sensor tech is another one, where the dot is switched on when it detects motion and shuts off after 5 minutes of inactivity. For a range gun that spends most of it's life in the safe, that works great. That same optic carried in your waistband will be switched on all the time, and the electronics should be designed around that.

And of course there's durability. Competition shooting is not fighting. Priorities for a competition or target optic are more towards clear glass, window size, etc (all things the DPP is great for). For a carry gun though, being able to take a beating and always being on, visible, and zeroed are higher priorities.

I'd think anyone looking for a carry optic would want to consider these things before just copying whatever the top competition shooters are using.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/04/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

72 hours of "on" even with a hunting pistol just does not sound like its a lot, even if it shuts off after 5 minutes.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm just a beginner in this competition thing but I've seen more Chinese optics and Chinese clones on rifles and pistols used than I ever would've thought. I've also seen plenty of them die.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
72 hours doesn’t seem right i’ve been carrying a delta point equipped Glock as my daily and the battery hasn’t been changed in 3 months.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Blue,

Do you think the co-witness sights are essential or would you be just fine without the option?

Also, which holster are you using with the Compact?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
72 hours doesn’t seem right i’ve been carrying a delta point equipped Glock as my daily and the battery hasn’t been changed in 3 months.

Can you give me an idea of how sensitive the motion sensor is? Does walking with a holstered pistol 'wake' the sight?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JOG

Can you give me an idea of how sensitive the motion sensor is? Does walking with a holstered pistol 'wake' the sight?

I honestly have no clue. I’ll try and see and get back to you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When I had mine simply touching it activated the site.

72 hours does not seem right.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JOG

Yes, absolutely. You can't pick it up gently enough to avoid turning it on. If it's in your belt and you're breathing, the dot is on.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Blue I called Leupold and they tell me the battery life on the delta point pro is 72 hours on bright enough to see in bright light setting.

I don't know what the battery life will be for daily carry, but 72 hours doesn't seem right. Folks have told me they get 3 months on a DPP for a carry gun, but I don't know their actual carry habits. I put a Duracell in mine six days ago and have had it on me more than 72 hours since then and it's still on.

Originally Posted by JOG

We've got one on a SIM pistol at work that sits on top of a pretty sturdy metal cabinet. Just swinging the door, even when it's already actually open, turns the optic on. If it's touching your body it's definitely on.

Originally Posted by deflave
Blue,

Do you think the co-witness sights are essential or would you be just fine without the option?

Also, which holster are you using with the Compact?

I wouldn't have a carry gun without them (I say that but I've carried this one for a week without them) just because sooner or later it's gonna die on you. I've got a suppressor height front sight waiting for me at work.

I had a holster made for it with the TLR7 but it's still not right even after going back to the shop once. The kydex is too thin and flexes enough to activate the light. So without the light I've been using a Harry's Holsters model with a claw at 3 o'clock. He sent us a box of them to try and so far I'm very impressed. I've had it on for several 16 hour days and it's been surprisingly comfortable. It seems very well built and he molds several carry options into the holster so you can switch from soft loops to a belt hook or whatever you want without needing a new holster shell. If it would accommodate a light I'd carry it permanently.

Such as varying light conditions, for one. A carry gun might be used in the dark, or in bright noon Arizona sun, and the optic should be automatically functional in either without adjusting settings. An optic on a competition gun can be adjusted for the current conditions, for the most part.

Just because an optic automatically adjusts doesn't mean that it will automatically adjust correctly. Many end users and some of the guys at upper end of using MRDS for fighting guns prefer to have their optics permanently adjusted to their preference rather than letting the optic decide the dot brightness. The dots can't account for drastically different lighting conditions, such as weapon mounted or handheld lights used in dark environments, or for when the optic is in a dark place but the shooter is looking into a brighter area.

I'll include a link to Aaron Cowan's paper in the next post so that it doesn't get lost here.

Leupold's motion sensor tech is another one, where the dot is switched on when it detects motion and shuts off after 5 minutes of inactivity. For a range gun that spends most of it's life in the safe, that works great. That same optic carried in your waistband will be switched on all the time, and the electronics should be designed around that.

And of course there's durability. Competition shooting is not fighting. Priorities for a competition or target optic are more towards clear glass, window size, etc (all things the DPP is great for). For a carry gun though, being able to take a beating and always being on, visible, and zeroed are higher priorities.

I'd think anyone looking for a carry optic would want to consider these things before just copying whatever the top competition shooters are using.

When you say that "the electronics should be designed around that" it seems like your implying that they're not. If the DPP electronics aren't robust enough to handle constant on use then please tell us where you're getting that from, because I'd sure like to know about it.

From Cowan's paper you can see a very detailed list of optic tests. Every 500 rounds he conducted drop tests onto the optic from shoulder height, water submersion for one hour, frozen for 24 hours, and heating to 150* for 24 hours, then verified that the optic held zero, then kept repeating the tests.

At the end of four years of record keeping he only recommends the RMR and DPP for duty use.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to know about MRDS sights, this is the guy to go to. Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has done a tremendous amount of research and work on the topic of MRDS for fighting guns. It includes information about accuracy tests, accuracy tests in force on force scenarios, optic reliability tests, etc.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128_c8da57977a8c4b53903192fa603fce6f.pdf

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I will call Leup again Monday, when I asked the question the technician did not know the answer and had to look it up, maybe he made a mistake.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't view the link from this device but if it's the one I looked at he said not all batteries are created equal. Seems like he recommended Duracell but I can't remember for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I can't view the link from this device but if it's the one I looked at he said not all batteries are created equal. Seems like he recommended Duracell but I can't remember for sure.

Yeah, he recommends Duracell. Apparently they're a little thicker so they help to maintain contact with the battery terminals during recoil, or something like that.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 11 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.