Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I watched my father go through unemployment and underemployment in his mid 50’s to early 60’s. I am 53 now and I could go a couple of years without changing my lifestyle (obviously I would not be contributing to retirement accounts) or touching retirement funds.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Would whoring the wife out be considered a lifestyle change?

Asking for a friend.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same life style, cash on hand, stopping additional mortgage payments, about 10 months.

Survival mode, cash on hand, a couple of years. Selling some stuff laying around, another year.

Selling everything and living off the assets and investments? Whatever it takes....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I only have a house payment. Could carry on without any kind of disruption to my current lifestyle for six months. If it came to nut cuttin’ Time. With all the supplies I have and chit I could sell, forever

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
What’s life without a little...

[Linked Image]

Spray tanning is normal for weddings? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been retired for 10 years now, no $$ issues. Apartment rents, housing rents, and yes, a couple of grand per month in SS. But if SS stops, for what ever reason, it still won't affect my lifestyle.

Yes, I've been blessed!

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean

Asking for a friend.

Hourly rate? For a friend 😁😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indefinitely. We are blessed beyond measure. 15 years ago it would be a different story entirely.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Higbean

Asking for a friend.

For you, probably. For her,?????? whistle

Last edited by DHN; 01/12/19.

Dale

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got fed up with my company just before I turned 59. Using the 4% rule I don't need to work ever again. My wife and I have a small business so I don't need to pull any money out of savings though I easily could. House paid off after 13 years, maybe 5 years ago. Both new cars paid for in cash 6 years ago. I planned for this since I was 24 yo.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife out earns me. We’d be okay without my check. Especially if I stayed home with the boys. Daycare out here is fuggin’ EXPENSIVE!

No pay check for either one of us and still paying daycare? Yikes. 2 or 3 months. No day care? Triple it. Tap into retirement, a decade or so.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
40, 50 years?

It’s ok, you can’t help it.

How’s Spano doin?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Without a paycheck?

Keeping your current 'lifestyle'(and not using credit or selling assets) how long could you survive on your savings?

Pending no unusual/unforeseen expenses my wife would be okay for 6-7 months.

Ten years ago we might have made it 2 weeks.....

This REALLY makes a guy think about the funds needed for retirement.

We're retired but if the retirement check and SS was delayed we keep an emergency fund that would cover 6 mo to a years expenses. We could go several weeks without going to the grocery store. Our retirement investments probably would carry us for life.

But, we would almost automatically change our lifestyle and go into conservative mode. I would have a job in a few days and you would not see me walking the street with a silly sign.

Like a few others I'll admit that it was not always that way for us.

I hope the Government shutdown will at least get everyone to examine their financial situation. It seems as if the general public is in bad shape.

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Schit. There have been a bunch of years where we lost money.

In the black a couple times...like twice. Wasn't even enough to make a pickup payment.

Other years were break even.

Everything I have is in the land and livestock....everything.

Hmmmmm....gives you a little pause to think about it Sam!

That is a scary place to be.

My brother is the manager of a credit union in rural Alberta. Most of the clients are farmers. Many are in the same situation as you Jim, if not worse. Some are heavily leveraged and don't seem to understand how to manage credit. They are one more bad year away from having to sell land to stay afloat. It is very sad, although some have made very poor decisions.

For instance, if you are heavily leveraged, maybe you don't need a new pickup (purchased with money you told the bank you needed for input costs), especially a Platinum model F150 (true story), or if you do need one, an XLT would do. Another, instead of servicing his debt (over a million), bought a $480,000 combine when he had a perfectly good combine only a few years old. He went to my brother to ask for money to refinance his debt because he was going to be in default. The credit union would not give him any more money. He had to sell assets (land) to survive. Credit union made it very clear that he had to service his debt before buying equipment etc (remember he had a good combine).

Farming is risky business, but you have to make good decisions to help yourself out. At one point I wanted to farm/ranch, but we had no money to get started. I'm glad I didn't because I can't handle the uncertainty of farming. I'm also adverse to debt. Can't stand it.

It takes a very unique individual to make it as a farmer. I admire them greatly.

This same scenario happened in Iowa and the Midwest in the early 1980's when land prices were high and equipment prices were starting to skyrocket because of the Jimmy Carter hyper inflation years. Then land prices tanked and corn and bean prices tanked because of the Carter embargo and the banks would no longer loan money based on land values and crop prices. A $hit ton of farmers had to sell out or down size. Many of them put themselves in that position because they would not monitor their spending, refused to spend wisely or weren't willing to put in the hours and labor .

My father in law and his wife raised 11 kids on used equipment that he continued to upgrade with his own hands and all rented land. He did not own one acre. All of the farmers were trading off their "used" equipment and he was paying cash for it. When the farm sales started he bought more for pennies on the dollar with cash. All 11 kids survived and he always had money in the bank. He also ran a farm chemical business on the side so he had another income but it took a toll on his family but the family accepted that sacrifice. When his older boys grew up he now had "free" labor. The girls babysat for their spending money. They all had to do their share and they did. If you are willing to work hard and watch where the money goes, you can make it in farming without going broke.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
40, 50 years?

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would probably have to adopt a dude with cash.

I could feed him and his family and he could pay the bills.

Ed meet Jim, Jim meet Ed...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by hanco
A few months.

Couldn't you just retire?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
About 70 months.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Honestly? No change in lifestyle? That's difficult to wrap my head around as my livelihood is a big share of my lifestyle.

If I put a rocking chair on the porch and occupied it. Spent all my spare time around the place doing stuff and living a normal life paying utilities and groceries, we'd be OK for a couple of years before we had to tighten up and look at things, assuming everyone remains in decent health.

Big thing is that there are some family medical issues that might derail us. And the insurance to cover them is steep. Real steep.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Without a paycheck?

Keeping your current 'lifestyle'(and not using credit or selling assets) how long could you survive on your savings?

Pending no unusual/unforeseen expenses my wife would be okay for 6-7 months.

Ten years ago we might have made it 2 weeks.....

This REALLY makes a guy think about the funds needed for retirement.

All the way through yesterday, working on today, ain’t concerned about tomorrow.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.