Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Over the holidays I ordered several lowers from PSA and 1 rifle kits from PSA their rifle kits include everything to put a complete lower together. I been looking for a 5.56 to mount a 10X swfa scope on and almost went the ruger american route. When I did some math and I could get into a AR a lot cheaper. I got the freedom upper with 16 inch barrel with a 1-7 twist chambered in 5.56. This was my first time putting a AR together coupel you tube videos and I had a functioning AR15. I loaded up some ammo to try in it and see what it liked. I shot 10 round groups as well. Remember this carbine is all milspec no after market triggers etc. What did I learn today I need to get either 20 or 10 rds magazines for shooting groups off the bench, and possibly get a different style butt-stock (I'm not sure yet). Anyhow It looks like RL 15 is the winner Im sure a aftermarket trigger will tighten those groups up, but Im not going to put one in. I'm going to probably pull this scope off and just run this setup with open sights. A properly set up AR 15 you can engage targets easily out to 300 meters with open sights.

Side note I putt over 80 rounds through it today no hiccups ran just fine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 01/13/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellenty buddy. I got a laugh at the middle target pic. The one on the left... shocked One thing about your loads, if it likes RL 15 the best, you need to try AR Comp. Trust me... Glad to hear your rile is functioning flawlessly. That's damn good!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's cool, it's just more satisfying when you build it yourself.

I have milspec triggers in all of mine too. Nothing fancy about them, but I figure they will function in almost any conditions.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Excellenty buddy. I got a laugh at the middle target pic. The one on the left... shocked One thing about your loads, if it likes RL 15 the best, you need to try AR Comp. Trust me... Glad to hear your rile is functioning flawlessly. That's damn good!!!

Brother I been looking for AR Comp and I cant find it. I might have to journey to Cabelas in Anchorage see if they have any.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you lived closer, I'd give you a pound to try!! My AR's really liked RL15 as well, then montanaman suggested I give AR Comp a try. It meters great and is very accurate. Cuts down on load time and groups shrink. Win win....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's very respectable for that configuration & more than adequate for it's intended purpose.................& you said it ran with no stoppages, so that's great. What more could you ask for for what you have in it.

MM

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
That's very respectable for that configuration & more than adequate for it's intended purpose.................& you said it ran with no stoppages, so that's great. What more could you ask for for what you have in it.

MM

I'm going to try other bullets in it as well..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got a PSA I put together back during their last Father’s Day special. It was 417 bucks with the upper and lower together. I threw a 1x4 SS on top in the SS mount that came with the scope. This past week we were teaching a class so I threw the gun in the truck and figured I’d BZO it and maybe run a few mags through it. Ended up putting about 800 rounds through it and it never stopped or slowed down. Shot a bunch of drill with the SS set on 1x and was much slower than my other guys running dots. My only issue was the MAGPUL mags being a little tight on reloads but I haven’t looked and seen what the problem is. I’d say for 417 bucks I was plenty happy and I dig the 1x4 with illumination..

I’ve got a couple PSAs now and they seem to run fine. I’ll load up some 75 grain Hornady and see what it does. The trigger in that one will stay. Got a couple new triggers for the 6.5 CM and 224 though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you lived closer, I'd give you a pound to try!! My AR's really liked RL15 as well, then montanaman suggested I give AR Comp a try. It meters great and is very accurate. Cuts down on load time and groups shrink. Win win....

What's the secret load for the 75 BTHP in Mil brass?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought some ar comp hoping it works in mine?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Johnny of the reloading vids says 21.5 or 22.1gr ARC with 77s.
I've been shooting 22.8gr through button barrels, but that is too hot in a Krieger.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter

What's the secret load for the 75 BTHP in Mil brass?
My memory says 24.2 of RL15. But tahts pure memory from over 10 years ago since I'm at work and no way to confirm...FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found some AR comp at the Lgs frequent. I must of missed it last time. I'm also trying 2520, Tac and exterminator I had already had. Will go out Sunday and give it hell

Last edited by 79S; 01/18/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the Lever'.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stick,

How much lever to get started?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the Lever'.

Hint................

Thanks stick I will pick some up as well.. as David ask how much you using?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only shoot Hornie 75 HPBT's in 223 Krunchentickers and 26.5grs of Lever' is a nice average,amongst The Herd.

Nothing else,comes even close.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
At least one can understand 26.5.

FWIW 2520 in our heat is very temp sensitive and used to be extremely variable lot to lot. John claims the lot to lot variation has not been the case for years. FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yet another Whining CLUELESS Texan,in well over her pointy head. Congratulations?!?

Like you have even "seen" Lever'.

HINT.....................

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I only went up to 26.0gr of Lever with that bullet and stopped because it was so severely overgassed compared to everything else that rifle would shoot. If one were only going to use that one load though, it would make sense to just turn the gas down and run with it.

FWIW 26.0gr with that 75gr BTHP averaged 2766 fps in my 16" AR "recce" rifle. In the same rifle with that bullet, TAC will do 2850 and AA2460 will do 2820 fps, both with less gas to deal with. I settled on 23.5gr of Benchmark with that bullet for 2680 fps, giving up some velocity for better accuracy and repeatability throughout the year.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 12 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.