Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Gasoline prices have been steadily rising. I hear prices in the $3.00 area in California now. Prices in my neck of the woods for unleaded run around $2.50-$2.53 right now.

I just can't understand the pricing anymore. I was a stanch defender of the oil companies. Things just don't seem right anymore. There is always some excuse for higher prices, and an excuse for not lowering a price. A while back when the price of oil was dropping rapidly, we saw price declines, but nothing near the $0.04/gallon of refined gas per dollar of a barrel of crude. Prices should have been significantly below $2.00/gallon, but it didn't happen where I live and I don't live in CA.

Prices are rising and everyone says... oh, it's Iran. Oh it's Venzuela? Well, there is nothing happening in Iran except the ravings of the president there. The wind changed to coming from the north, time to jack the price of gas up. The refineries are producing more heating oil; time for a price increase. The refineries are doing the "spring cleaning"; time to raise the price. Does it ever stop? Crude oil keeps being pumped and we keep paying higher prices. Maybe it's time for a another war, so at least it will seem like there is a reason for the crude prices.

What is your take on the oil companies and pricing? I know the future's market drives the price. Is the world getting snookered? I think so....

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's only $1.19 here..

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I bet we will see at least $4.00 before summer is overwith.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Gas in my neck of the woods is $2.48. I can tell you one thing, it is terribly expensive to drill a well. Have interst in some gas wells in Oklahoma. Today-a services co ran up an $8,600 bill for one days work just retrieving the tools downhole that another company lost. People gripe about gas prices, but at 2.5 million a well, it is quite a risk-even for a small percentage player!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i think that the speculators on wall street are the ones that are really making the killing off of oil. sure the oil companies are making plenty of money, but they have very little control over the price of oil. that being said, i sure would like for it to go down in price, but i think the american people have become "accustomed" to paying over two dollars a gallon for gas. i don't see it going back down anytime soon. diesel is just plain outrageous. right now, it is around 2.75 a gallon.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that per quart? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Liberals reminded us it was the fault of the party in power. Using that logic the democrats are now the party in power so it MUST be the fault of Pelosi and gang.

Are democrats in bed with the satanic oil companies?

Do democrats care more about corporate profits than working families?

Is Pelosi having secret meetings with the Saudi's?

Terrible, democrats should be ashamed!

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
However they sell it in Madagascar

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's between 2.69 and 2.92 here in my neck of the concrete jungle... of course there's zone pricing to deal with here too... mad Got to be the democruds fault - it was 2.19 before they came into control...

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
rpowell is correct. Look no further than the traders on Wall Street. Crude Oil is around $66/bbl so obviously prices are going to be steep. It is a speculative market to say the least. I wonder how many hunters are going to bitch and moan at the corn farmers when we pay $6-$7 for a bag of corn this fall. It's the same logic......corn is a traded commodity also, dictated by the traders on Wall Street.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It's at $2.69 here currently....and I also think it will continue to climb especially approaching summer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think it will drop once the windmill powered Kia's hit the street.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Regular is $3.09 here in Liberal Western Washington and climbing.
How much is it in Bagdad? Several dead soldiers per day?

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Funny, I was just wondering about it myself. Morning news said the national average is about $2.70/gal. I'm seeing prices of at least $3.20/gal here in San Jose (California). So, if gas is $3.20/gal here, who's paying $2.20/gal elsewhere?

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$2.76 here in Gainesville today. We have the highest taxes on gas in Florida though. It is cheaper in Jax or Orlando.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$2.57 here in Ouachita Parish, LA. Up $0.18 in the last week.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

When supply is only a tad over demand, any slight disruption, whether real or imagined, causes the price of crude to go up.
And yes, Iran is part of the problem. And yes, refineries have to shut down for periodic maintenance.

Just get used to it guys. It's not lickely to change.

muddy

"A good judge applies the law as it is, not as she wants it to be", Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey pix....how much of your gasoline price is California State taxes? Every state is different, the federal tax (20 cts/gal)is the same nationwide.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I think the oil companies like it this way. When they can produce at 90% of capacity or there abouts any excuse for higher prices will do and the consumer has to accept it.

Build more refineries? Sure. But with all the environmental regs, permitting costs, and so forth, why build one until you just have to. Why build one so you then produce at 70% or capacity? Why? Because it takes years to get a refinery into production and they wear out.

Drilling costs? Yeah, it's expensive. But we a buying oil like crazy from the Middle East where they essentially just need to turn on the faucet; shallow wells and big reserves.

I believe nothing will be done without a huge depression. Who really is affected? The little guy who gets up and drives to work every day for his $10/hr. I prefer to keep the government out of it for solutions; the government taxes the heck out of fuel all over the world. Al Gore probably loves to see the price spikes (global warming bs), but he does not live in the real world where $0.50/gallon makes a difference.... do as I say, not as I do....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bullwnkl
Regular is $3.09 here in Liberal Western Washington and climbing.
How much is it in Bagdad? Several dead soldiers per day?

Bullwnkl.

If the war is for oil, then where is this oil?

Iraq is an OPEC member, the US turned over control of their oil in 2002.

Do you get it now?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.