Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
Bands is an ass, but in my view, he was a legit HOFer before he juiced. He was 500 HRs and 300 SBs and .300 lifetime hitter without the juice. McGuire juiced from day one, so if you are anti juice, then he's got a problem. Same with Sosa. He was an early adopter of PED's.

That's pretty much the gist of it all Jeff. Bonds and Clemens were legit before the juicing, and they were both legit [bleep] too. I guess age makes you gravitate towards that PED stuff, don't know. I do know when I played against McGwire in Modesto, 1984 or '85, he was a wirey 3rd baseman. When I saw him in instructional league a couple of years later, he was a freaking beast, alongside Canseco. Thinking about a possible brawl and having to deal with McGwire, Canseco, Dave "Cobra" Parker, Ron Hassey, and Dave Henderson wasn't a pleasant thought!

I probably wouldn't vote for any of those listed, but would vote for Pete Rose immediately.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I met Dave Parker about 10 years ago. He's one GIANT mofo! He stood out in a room of NFL guys.

Sounds like you were surrounded by the '87 A's. Hope you made friends!!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some of you guys act like you know exactly when these guys started juicing.

Clemens could've started roids in high school for all you know.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wouldn't vote for any of those listed, or for Pete Rose. Obviously, he deserves it for what he did on the field, but he damaged the integrity of the game with his gambling habit and should pay the price for that. Plus, keeping him out serves as a warning and a deterrent to future would-be gamblers.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Interesting names will be considered. ould you vote for any of these guys?

Fred McGriff
Gary Sheffield
Dale Murphy?

What about

Bonds
Clemens
Sosa
McGuire?

BTW - I would have never voted for harold Baines. He belongs in the Hall of Pretty Good with many others I like.

They all belong in the Hall! I would vote for all of them. And Add Pete Rose to the List.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kroo88
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The 1st 4 no; good players, not HOF'ers.

The last 4, a reluctant yes, in spite of the steroid use, much as I hate to have to say it...........& I absolutely despise Bonds.

Baines is not a legitimate HOF'er either, not even close.

MM

I understand everyone’s dislike of Bonds, but in the last 40 years, who would you rather see take an at-bat?

Not the issue, nobody is sayin' he couldn't hit; Bonds is just an Azzhole...............note the capital A.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do we really know when the doping by any of these guys started? I suspect a lot of players used PED’s long before MLB started policing its use. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs weren’t just available in the 90’s and early 2000’s. I even wonder about my all-time favorites like Mickey Mantle; did they use? I say if their stats were good enough when they played, vote them in! And I agree that Pete Rose not being in the Hall of Fame is a travesty of huge proportions!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kroo88
The 1st 4 no; good players, not HOF'ers.

The last 4, a reluctant yes, in spite of the steroid use, much as I hate to have to say it...........& I absolutely despise Bonds.

Baines is not a legitimate HOF'er either, not even close.

MM

I understand everyone’s dislike of Bonds, but in the last 40 years, who would you rather see take an at-bat?

Not the issue, nobody is sayin' he couldn't hit; Bonds is just an Azzhole...............note the capital A.

MM

It is not the personality Hall of Fame, It is the Baseball Hall of Fame. There are a lot of a-holes in sports, doesn't change the fact that they are great athletes. Judge their merit on the field of play.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lastround
How do we really know when the doping by any of these guys started? I suspect a lot of players used PED’s long before MLB started policing its use. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs weren’t just available in the 90’s and early 2000’s. I even wonder about my all-time favorites like Mickey Mantle; did they use? I say if their stats were good enough when they played, vote them in! And I agree that Pete Rose not being in the Hall of Fame is a travesty of huge proportions!

I agree with you 100%

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I probably wouldn't vote for any of those listed, but would vote for Pete Rose immediately.

Rose was the best hitter I've ever seen outside of Ted Williams & should be in the HOF, period.

But the guy is just nuttier than a fruitcake & is totally out of touch with reality, whether it be drugs or too many whacks to the noggin' or whatever.

But it's really criminal that he's been arbitrarily blackballed from the HOF.

MM

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Pete Rose... +1,000...

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Some of you guys act like you know exactly when these guys started juicing.

Clemens could've started roids in high school for all you know.

If you are familiar with it, it's easy to tell. You just don't start sporting 19" biceps because you took out a gym membership. You don't get every vein in your upper body standing out because you decided to start some cardio. Your face fills out because your masseter muscle grows along with the other skeletal muscles, and the estrogenic side effects of Test or Dbol or Deca make you retain water.

Bonds 1992 NL MVP

[Linked Image]

Bonds 1999

(He got bigger after this)

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guys that know what they are doing take Estrogen blockers. But that's another topic. Look at Reggie's rook or early career photo's and look at him towards the end. Sorry but to many were doping before testing so its pretty much a mute point.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Doping isn't just for getting big. It promotes healing too. You know who never doped? Griffey, had he his career would have been long and even more storied.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H,
I’m not arguing with you about what you say about steroid use, just that for HOF induction, it can’t be the deciding factor. When I graduated from high school, I was 5’10” tall and weighed 170 lbs. By age 25 I was 6’0” and weighed 180 lbs. By age 35 I weighed 215 and was solid muscle. I have never taken any PED’s in my life. I just got older...........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dale Murphy was a dominant player in his era and, accordingly, should have been inducted into the HOF years ago.

RS

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pete Rose is a different case altogether. He'll never get in because he bet on the game. That is the ultimate no-no in baseball. Not only that, he was such an arrogant prick about it, he denied everything until the Commissioners Office produced his betting slips. Oops!

All Pete had to do was to say:

"Yeah, I bet on baseball. I have a gambling addiction, and I need help with it."

He could have done his rehab and been in the HOF 25 years ago.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround
H,
I’m not arguing with you about what you say about steroid use, just that for HOF induction, it can’t be the deciding factor. When I graduated from high school, I was 5’10” tall and weighed 170 lbs. By age 25 I was 6’0” and weighed 180 lbs. By age 35 I weighed 215 and was solid muscle. I have never taken any PED’s in my life. I just got older...........

I have a minority view on the PED era. It was what it was. The best players form the era deserve to be in, in my opinion. There is no pill you can take or juice you can stick in your butt that will help you square up the baseball. If there was, I would have taken 2. wink

I'd vote for Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens. Palmiero? Now I have an issue with him. He took 'em, testified before Congress he never did, and then got busted for 'em AFTER testing begun. I keep him out because he is too stupid to be allowed in.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=lastround]H, There is no pill you can take or juice you can stick in your butt that will help you square up the baseball. If there was, I would have taken 2. wink.

FACT!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Canseco told who was juicing in his book, and he was proven right about it in spite of the pissing an moaning it created when the book came out. There were lots of guys taking PED's in that era, as Jeff has said, not just the stars. They were stars because they were better than everyone else, not because they took PED's. Lot's of avg players took them as well, and make no mistake, the owners knew about it and didn't care.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.