-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Hall of Fame, like all recognition lists, is as much a Miss America contest or figure-skating scoring as anything - subjective selection based on voter bias.. Deserving players get left off, while others get on.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I say no to all of them. Rose is a different case entirely but his gambling can't be forgiven although when he played he was great. I really don't know what is worse juicing or gambling but both were against the rules therefore no HOF entry.

living the good life every day
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by last round
How do we really know when the doping by any of these guys started? I suspect a lot of players used PED’s long before MLB started policing its use. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs weren’t just available in the 90’s and early 2000s. I even wonder about my all-time favorites like Mickey Mantle; did they use?

Let me help you out with Mickey Mantle. Dianabol was developed in the 1950's and it's use in those days was confined to the US Olympic team. Bodybuilders found it in the mid 1960's. I had the pleasure of knowing Mantle. He lived in Georgia with his girlfriend in the late 1980's (out at Reynold's Plantation) and I played golf with him a number of times and will tell you he was all the good things you've read about — and he did drink like a fish up until his last couple of years. Even in his early to mid 50's, he had a great physique.

Mantle was 5'11 1/2, about 190, and built like D1 running back. Short torso, long arms and legs, big thighs and butt. That's why he was so fast. That rump and thighs was made the ball go. Baseball didn't embrace weight training until the `late 1980s.

The first two MLB players i'm convinced juiced was Brian Downing, OF for the Angels and Larry Parrish, catcher for the Tigers. In one off season, Downing went from skinny runt to muscle beach and his power number went way up. Parrish was sporting 19" arms and 16" forearms and pecs that looked like armor plating.

Again, if you know what to look for, you can spot a serious juicer.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not everyone juices for max gains. On top of that I know of a bunch of scrawny guys that get into lifting and put on gains that would make you think they juiced, but have not.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Not everyone juices for max gains. On top of that I know of a bunch of scrawny guys that get into lifting and put on gains that would make you think they juiced, but have not.

That may be true, but you can only get so big lifting weights. PED's, etc add a whole 'nother realm of possibilities.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari

The first two MLB players i'm convinced juiced was Brian Downing, OF for the Angels and Larry Parrish, catcher for the Tigers. In one off season, Downing went from skinny runt to muscle beach and his power number went way up. Parrish was sporting 19" arms and 16" forearms and pecs that looked like armor plating.

Again, if you know what to look for, you can spot a serious juicer.

Interesting about Mantle....he was a freak for sure. I'm no Dr, or expert, but I always heard the telltale signs were not only the vein popping appearance, which became obvious, but it was also notable increases in hat and shoe size..

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Sure, but I'll go back to natural guys do not get freaky vascularity, they don't get "moon face" from water retention etc. etc.

As JG said, Canseco named names and was proven right.

Now, back to HOF.

I'm glad Jack Morris made it, even though he didn't have 300 wins.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks H for the information about Mantle. He WAS baseball for me in the 50’s and 60’s. I almost lost interest in MLB when he left the game.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
i don’t think the people that vote will ever vote for known druggies. I’m surprised Bagwell got in!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That may be true, but you can only get so big lifting weights. PED's, etc add a whole 'nother realm of possibilities.

No one is saying they don't. No baseball player got that BIG!

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hatari

Sure, but I'll go back to natural guys do not get freaky vascularity, they don't get "moon face" from water retention etc. etc.

As JG said, Canseco named names and was proven right.

Now, back to HOF.

I'm glad Jack Morris made it, even though he didn't have 300 wins.

Sure guys get vascular naturally too. No Baseball Player was ever Lee Haney Vascular freaky. In the end you have to see the ball and have the right swing and timing. No juice is going to give that to you. Now HGH can and will improve sight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do y'all think that Tigger Woods was juicing?

I do, but I'm surely not very knowledgeable on the subject.

MM

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Do y'all think that Tigger Woods was juicing?

I do, but I'm surely not very knowledgeable on the subject.

MM

I don't think so. Not saying he never has, I just doubt it. His swing was always powerful. His club head speed is fast from his body make up more so than his strength. In my opinion anyways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well. he sure as hell put on a lot of upper body mass pretty quick like................he was really skinny when he 1st went pro.

I'm sure he was diligent on the workouts too though.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Some of you guys act like you know exactly when these guys started juicing.

Clemens could've started roids in high school for all you know.

High School is exactly when these guys get started. Matt Holliday is a modern an example. He is a good kid, and comes from a good family, but he was dirty in high school and his dad supported it. Of course, all those guys mentioned in the OP were role models for him.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well. he sure as hell put on a lot of upper body mass pretty quick like................he was really skinny when he 1st went pro.

MM

He did in fact fill out. I don't see any huge changes in his club speed. He has played around with his swing a bunch, but even that didn't create any major or alarming speed changes. Just my opinion. I don't know a lot about golf, but I have seen some big powerful guys that can't drive a ball for [bleep]. In my opinion the short game is were you make your money.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Kenny Powers.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hardway
Kenny Powers.

Never hear of him. What era?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
HBO....circa 2015

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

He did in fact fill out. I don't see any huge changes in his club speed. He has played around with his swing a bunch, but even that didn't create any major or alarming speed changes. Just my opinion. I don't know a lot about golf, but I have seen some big powerful guys that can't drive a ball for [bleep]. In my opinion the short game is were you make your money.

Yeah, all that is true, but it's hard to be in a position to make putts when you're hitting 5 irons into greens compared to guys who are hitting 9 irons or wedges into greens, & that comes from being able to drive the ball long, even if it's out of the fairway somewhat..................That's parts of what has made Dustin Johnson a good player & why Jordan Speith struggles on some courses.

MM

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,931
Posts18,518,948
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.