Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Time to let the steroid users in. I hate to say it but they belong. The users who hold records will always have an astrek by their names in my mind. Future generations though will consider it just an era. Lots of history in MLB. I’m sure there has been cheating, collusion, drugs, gambling and other misreads unknown now and never to be known.

Pete Rose belongs in.

Harold Baines, meh. Was a veterans selection. There are other members of his caliber. Cases could be made for others not currently in with similar careers. Once the obvious superstars are in it seems to get pretty subjective.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well. he sure as hell put on a lot of upper body mass pretty quick like................he was really skinny when he 1st went pro.

I'm sure he was diligent on the workouts too though.

MM

He did in fact fill out. I don't see any huge changes in his club speed. He has played around with his swing a bunch, but even that didn't create any major or alarming speed changes. Just my opinion. I don't know a lot about golf, but I have seen some big powerful guys that can't drive a ball for [bleep]. In my opinion the short game is were you make your money.

Yeah, all that is true, but it's hard to be in a position to make putts when you're hitting 5 irons into greens compared to guys who are hitting 9 irons or wedges into greens, & that comes from being able to drive the ball long, even if it's out of the fairway somewhat..................That's parts of what has made Dustin Johnson a good player & why Jordan Speith struggles on some courses.

MM

Short game isn't just about putting. Driving the ball there is greater allowable margin of error. The short game the margin of error is much smaller.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
ring3 I agree totally

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hardway
HBO....circa 2015

Is he a commentator for HBO?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Interesting names will be considered. ould you vote for any of these guys?

Fred McGriff
Gary Sheffield
Dale Murphy?

What about

Bonds
Clemens
Sosa
McGuire?

BTW - I would have never voted for harold Baines. He belongs in the Hall of Pretty Good with many others I like.

I'd vote for Dale Murphy.

I'd never vote for a steroid user.

Clemens was a .506 pitcher, 40W - 39L, during his last four years with Boston, 1993 - 1996, but he seems to have found the Fountain of Youth in Toronto, going 41W - 13L, .752, during the next two years and then 77W - 36L, .681, during the next four years in New York., and then 38W - 18L, .679, during the next three years with Houston. To recap, Clemens went through a four year drought and then went on to win 162 of his 352 games. That seems a bit suspicious to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once again, Pete Rose.

He may have had a gambling habit, so did Michael Jordan, etc., etc., etc.,. GMAFB, How many sins has everyone on the Fire stacked up over the years?

The difference is Pete was not so chummy with the commissioners, because he was a class A narcissist, but so were the assshole commissioners (they should wind up in there for being the greatest douchebags in baseball history).

So What!? If there was ever a classic model of hypocrisy it has to be sports.

Bonds might be an assshole too, but both he and Pete belong there because they both had a HUGE impact on how to play the game.

Bonds crushed that shtt, and how many players went head first into the bag like Pete? Pete was downright phenomenal, no one playing today is even close to his persona.

Remember David Justice and his cocky ass pissing off the Braves' fans in the nineties? Doesn't matter, the guy was awesome, and he knew it!

Is what it is, I guess. I will always feel there is a tarnish to baseball because it refuses to recognize the greats, only because they felt like their character didn't measure up to some 'halo' appropriated standards.

Put them all in the damn HOF and include the dumb [bleep] they pulled. This is too much like liberals rewriting history to meet their unrealistic expectations of perfection. Can't have the good and bad printed next to their HOF shrine, it might make them look more human, which I guess doesn't sell as well as the BS superhero sales spin they throw at the fans in regard to the players.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the Cardinal sins for MLB players is gambling on the game.

RULE 21 (d) is absolutely clear on the subject of gambling on the game.

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

Pete Rose was a great player who got caught breaking RULE 21 (d). He did the crime and is doing the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pete Rose, first.

All else is twaddle.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Baseball is a business. The owners made money during that era and most certainly games were won with players doping. And I am sure the owners knew it as well. No team has forfeited a game or title during this time so its time to move on. And Pete Rose deserves to be in the hall as well.

Last edited by Mike_S; 01/22/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fred McGriff is HOF material in my book.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think they should have stopped inducting people 15-20 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4winds
. . . Pete was downright phenomenal, no one playing today is even close to his persona. . . .

One player has a chance to develop into a career Pete Rose "personna" and that is Bryce Harper. He plays with a nasty attitude.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cas6969
I think they should have stopped inducting people 15-20 years ago.

Along with that, many of the early inductees are highly suspect when it comes to their abilities/accomplishments.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kroo88
Barry and Roger are two of the best to ever lace em’ up.

The self-righteous deniers need to STFU.

Tell it to the Aaron and Marris families.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by 4winds
. . . Pete was downright phenomenal, no one playing today is even close to his persona. . . .

One player has a chance to develop into a career Pete Rose "personna" and that is Bryce Harper. He plays with a nasty attitude.

[Linked Image]

But lacks the hustle.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll put in a plug foe Shoeless Joe Jackson.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
. . . But lacks the hustle.

grin ha ha ha . . .good one!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
By the mid sixties it was well known that PEDS had worked their way into baseball and football.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody here that wouldn't vote for Mariano Rivera?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.