Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
What states would this be applicable in?

Who cares Winchester has adopted your wildcat.. all those sleepless nights in Montana and Florida have finally paid off.. what you going to do with your royalty checks?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Exactly, a new range of cartridges to fit within the regulations. I'm talking with barrel, bullet and reamer folks right now on a 41 cal version. Using 308 basic.

I know somebody who did that. They slapped it on a Mauser action. It's alright!

Can you pm me some information on that please, it may shorten my development time.
Thanks, Mark

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
.355 bullets?

LOL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It would make a kickass home defense round in an AR.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
On the bright side......a company finally came out with a cartridge name that makes "creedmoor" seem cool.

The new, improved Three Five Leggie.

Wonder if this name will cause as much swoon as that one.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope it turns out.

I may not buy it, but the new(kinda) stuff does not bother me.

Marketing WANK does bother me. I hate it.

A slew of Nearlys and Almosts are on the way.....

I decided during the WSM/WSSM fad that I was going to stick with traditional, readily avl. cartridges and guns.

I have not suffered any on performance in either hunting or target shooting, and can afford to get more ammo and guns to shoot with by ignoring the fads.

The target, deer, hogs, coyotes, and targets don't know the difference.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So would that headspace on the mouth, making brass length critical? Like the 30 carbine

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I hope it turns out.

I may not buy it, but the new(kinda) stuff does not bother me.

Marketing WANK does bother me. I hate it.

A slew of Nearlys and Almosts are on the way.....

I decided during the WSM/WSSM fad that I was going to stick with traditional, readily avl. cartridges and guns.

I have not suffered any on performance in either hunting or target shooting, and can afford to get more ammo and guns to shoot with by ignoring the fads.

The target, deer, hogs, coyotes, and targets don't know the difference.

We have a reamer for 22 Nosler. About as crazy as we get anymore.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
So would that headspace on the mouth, making brass length critical? Like the 30 carbine

Yes, due to the legal requirement that it be straight walled.
A rim or semi rim would work too. Then it's just a very long revolver round.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Just get a 375 or a 444.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by renegade50
Just get a 375 or a 444.

Nope, straight wall, 35 caliber or larger, with less than 1.80" case length.

Or, you can trim those cartridge cases back to less than 1.80" and seat your bullets long or where-ever you like, and rock on.
One of our members has done this and talked with MiDNR about it, with their approval.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 01/22/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I'm in one of the areas where we must use the straight wall case. I'm finding it interesting that Winchester is giving us the hype but not the data. "More energy than a 30-30" is a BS fact. The 450 Bushmaster has better energy than a 30-30, but is it not nearly as effective of a hunting cartridge (I've used both). What about velocity, BC, SD, and bullet construction?

Lack of info makes me skeptical. I'm guessing by using a case in the 1.7" (rather than the Michigan max of 1.8") area that they are also targeting the AR market. This then leads me to believe, that this is designed around a MOP in the 40,000 psi area. This would not be too exciting. However, make high quality bullets and brass available to handloaders who will push this puppy towards 60,000 psi in a bolt gun in it could become real interesting. We shall see.

FYI for those of you outside the Great Lakes area, this straight wall thing is a big deal for us. Until recently we have been slug guns or muzzle loaders. Here in lower MI, the 450 Bushmaster has absolutely changed the game. We kill over 400,000 deer per year in our state, most in the southern lower peninsula. That equates to a lot of straight wall cartridges.

405wcf

Yup, the 450 BM makes a fantastic brush caliber, I can't think of a caliber that would do what the 450 BM does in the Michigan brush.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If Ruger came out with it, then I'd pass it up for sure. LOL. Still can't much stomach that company.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 405wcf
. . . I'm finding it interesting that Winchester is giving us the hype but not the data. "More energy than a 30-30" is a BS fact. . . .

https://winchester.com/350-Legend#charts-1

Here is true BS on the Winchester .375. - https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.375+Winchester.html

Performance

Unfortunately, it is much easier to find fault with the .375 than it is to find inherent qualities. Both factory and hand loads produce very poor muzzle velocities. Impact velocities are generally so low that the .375 struggles to produce disproportionate to caliber wounding. Where shot placement is not sound, the .375 can be a slow killer. Readers must understand that most conventional bullet designs struggle to expand at impact velocities below 1800fps, even though .375 Winchester bullets are designed to expand down to impact velocities of 1600fps. From a muzzle velocity of 2200fps, this leaves only a very small performance window. Were this cartridge loaded with a heavy Hornady XTP things may have been a lot different, but alas, there is no such bullet.

The one saving grace of this cartridge is that it the .375” bore is fairly wide to begin with while its heavy bullets are capable of delivering relatively deep penetration. Were it not for these factors, I am sure many game animals would not be recovered. But with the combination of a large bullet diameter and heavy flat pointed bullets, the .375 is able to produce reliable results.

As a lean game cartridge (such as hunting Black Tail in Oregon pines), the .375 bullets work acceptably well. But in truth wounds are not generally wider than that achieved with the .30-30 loaded with 150 grain bullets. There are certainly many stories as to how well this cartridge ‘flattens’ game but all too often we find that such things came about as a result of a spine shot which tells very little of what a cartridge is capable of when the chips are down. These matters aside, the .375 Winchester can be put to use on lean game, producing clean kills from pretty much any angle.

The .375 Winchester has some merit as a cartridge for use on larger bodied deer in heavy timber. Any velocity gains made via hand loading (safely) can be put to meaningful use. This is where this cartridge really comes into its own, fulfilling a role where the .30-30 is very much lacking.

It is extremely unwise to utilize the .375 as a ‘big game stopper’ as some seem to believe this cartridge is capable of achieving. At best the .375 can be considered a humble, clean killer of medium weight non-dangerous game. I am sure many would disagree with this but the truth is, were it any other way, this would be a much more popular cartridge. Sometimes being able to ‘eat up to the bullet hole’ is a good thing. Other times this description simply alludes to the fact that you might just get eaten yourself one day.

In order to optimize performance, hunters should strive to place shots into the forwards portion of game chest cavities (see .30-30 and also Game Killing section) to destroy the autonomic plexus along with the major locomotive muscles and bones. Those who are fans of the traditional .30-30WCF can view the .375 as being of a similar nature but with the ability to produce deeper penetration. Thoughts of wider wounding should be put aside.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Much ado about nothing, They could have stopped at the 30-06 and the 30-30 and we'd been fine. No need for another deer cartridge.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
How can 'anything' new be a legend? crazy, pass my 45-70 Shiloh Sharps please.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeez Jeff, you gonna beat that dead horse till it's mummified?
The old man was, just that an old man. He was wrong to advocate magazine limits.
Not everyone gets it completely.

He did a whole lot of good for our sport by inventing and producing durable reliable affordable guns to the public.

I'll step off my soap box now

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes it will sell new rifles, before not catching a big enough market share to be profitable and being abandoned.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We hunt in Iowa for deer season and they require either slugs, muzzleloader or straight wall cartridge. It looks interesting to me from that perspective. I could see several makers pick it up for a light bolt action rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
How can 'anything' new be a legend? crazy, pass my 45-70 Shiloh Sharps please.

Cut your cases back under 1.80" and you'd be good to go in Michigan's Restricted Firearm zone.

Regulations man, not common sense. We talkin' regulations, please bitch get realz

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 2500HD, 65 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.