Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Speaking to the barnes rep at DSC and talking about penetration.

He said that when one of they bullets hits at a faster speed it will mushroom faster and potentially penetrate less as a result. The example he gave was that a 30-06 might penetrate more than the same bullet shot out of a 300 win mag.

Anyone else heard about this - makes me wonder about ideal impact speed for penetration with the Barnes bullets? I've become a JJHACK believer and like the idea of 30 cal and two holes to aid in tracking and blood loss, so want penetration.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shaking my head.

Just WOW....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think that is certainly true with a cup and core, not so much with the Barnes. Optimal velocity......let’s just say 2000 + fps. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
1900 and 1700 for the LRX is what they have said.

Sounds like he was confusing lead core performance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to confuse minimal impact with "Ideal impact"

Becareful, who you pick as your expert.
It just could be an opinion of one.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
3200 and faster increases tissue damage quite a bit but no reduction in penetration with the ttsx.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you think of the hypotheses - that higher speed might lead to lower penetration due to early mushrooming?

This actually came up because I was asking about penetration of a 250 TTSX going 2720 out of a .375 H&H. I did not feel I got as much penetration as I expected with that load.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try shooting Nosler Partition bullets. They work just fine in this caliber. (If) your not happy with your TTSX

Myself, I could use the above two choices or some other stuff. You need to have confidence in your equipment.
Wish you the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10generation
I did not feel I got as much penetration as I expected with that load.

Wierd things happen.

I saw an X bullet stopped against a vertebrae on a large buck a buddy shot. Cartridge was a 7 STW.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
As fast as I can get them going. Never stopped one at 3400 fps mv in a 150 gr 30 cal on close shots.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have never stopped one in a deer yet and I have run them through deer from ~1600 FPS to >3600 FPS impact speeds.
Every single one of them showed good evidence of expansion and produced good wound channels. I did see where one separated at least one petal.

As far as ideal impact speed...With a TSX/TTSX the only assumption I can make based on more than 100 animals is that they are going to go through and exit. I did see one TTSX that was stopped in a large deer with a corner to corner shot and it performed perfectly and was an ad copy perfect mushroom on recovery. I have seen them go through ungodly amounts of bone and still exit. I have shot them out of a few guns that can push them over 3500 FPS and for my money there is no such thing as too fast. A little 80 grain TTSX out of a 243 at >3400 FPS will go through 3 feet of deer, so the only way I can look at them is stopping one in an animal is a pretty rare exception.

Edited to add: If you don't get enough penetration with a Barmes, your options to get more penetration are more or less limited to FMJs and solids.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Edited to add: If you don't get enough penetration with a Barmes, your options to get more penetration are more or less limited to FMJs and solids.

^ This! ^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by MILES58
I have never stopped one in a deer yet and I have run them through deer from ~1600 FPS to >3600 FPS impact speeds.
Every single one of them showed good evidence of expansion and produced good wound channels. I did see where one separated at least one petal.

As far as ideal impact speed...With a TSX/TTSX the only assumption I can make based on more than 100 animals is that they are going to go through and exit. I did see one TTSX that was stopped in a large deer with a corner to corner shot and it performed perfectly and was an ad copy perfect mushroom on recovery. I have seen them go through ungodly amounts of bone and still exit. I have shot them out of a few guns that can push them over 3500 FPS and for my money there is no such thing as too fast. A little 80 grain TTSX out of a 243 at >3400 FPS will go through 3 feet of deer, so the only way I can look at them is stopping one in an animal is a pretty rare exception.

Or maybe jump up a weight in the TSX/TTSX line if your really worried about penetration, but for me I shoot them a weight lighter than I would choose a NP for the same application and they just go through.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My limited experience from the last 25 years is that nothing out penetrates a Barnes except solids. Barnes typically open up to a lesser frontal area so encounter less resistance. They are also less dense than C&C bullets and the shank seems to keep them going in a straighter direction. With really high velocities of greater than 3000fps IMPACT velocities I have seen them shed the petals and they sure as hell penetrated. If you were disappointed in the performance of Barnes on Buffalo I suggest more velocity or go up to the 300's You definitely don't want to slow them down.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Light speed.

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Light speed.

Hmmmm . . . Warp 1? I was thinking more like Warp 2 as optimal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Light speed.

Well that’s just unrealistic.

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Light speed.

The hell with light speed. Go straight to Ludicrous speed!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
X's love speed and that's their AO.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
110’s @ Mach 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.