Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally

The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) today praised the Supreme Court’s decision to hear a critical case involving the fundamental, constitutional right to travel with a firearm. The case, which is backed by the National Rifle Association, challenges New York City's strict limits on the right to travel with a firearm outside of the home. The right to travel is a precursor to the right of self-defense and defines gun ownership outside the home in general.

“The Supreme Court’s decision to hear this case sets the stage for affirming the individual right to self-defense outside of the home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA.

The NRA-supported case, New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. The City of New York, challenges the constitutionality of a of New York City law that bans law-abiding handgun owners from traveling outside the city with their firearm. Currently, a licensed handgun owner in New York City is prohibited from taking their firearm outside of their home unless they are going to a shooting range inside the city. This draconian restriction means law-abiding gun owners are prohibited from taking their handguns to ranges outside of the city, or on hunting trips, or anywhere to which they wish to travel and have their gun available for self-defense at their destination.

More than a decade has passed since the court recognized the Second Amendment protects an individual right to have a handgun in the home for self-defense in District of Columbia v. Heller. In 2010, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court recognized that individual right is fundamental and applies to the states. Since those decisions, the Supreme Court has declined to hear several Second Amendment cases.

“The importance of this case cannot be overstated. We look forward to the Supreme Court overturning New York’s draconian and blatantly unconstitutional law,” Cox concluded.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190122/supreme-court-grants-cert-in-critical-second-amendment-case

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are so many laws on the books out there to be contested.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thing is there are no repercussions against the people who took thousands of peoples Constitutional Rights .
Let a big corporation do something completely against the law and see if they skate like the commies do .

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/22/19.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
There are so many laws on the books out there to be contested.

More than a decade has passed since the court recognized the Second Amendment protects an individual right to have a handgun in the home for self-defense in District of Columbia v. Heller. In 2010, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court recognized that individual right is fundamental and applies to the states. Since those decisions, the Supreme Court has declined to hear several Second Amendment cases.

This one decision could make all the others fall flat.

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder how big Bloombergs ass is? He's fixin to get a lot shoved up there.

MOLON LABE

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I wonder how big Bloombergs ass is? He's fixin to get a lot shoved up there.

I bet puddler knows - then again he's probably a 'bottom' .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope the decision goes the way we want . Would be a disaster if it does not!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastround
I hope the decision goes the way we want . Would be a disaster if it does not!

Heller 5-4, what would todays count look like?

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
10 fuqking years......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hey All...I do hope this case goes our way...NYC "law" stretches the NY STATE law to suit their own fancies re handguns....let me try to 'splain...i am a former NYPD SGT...30yrs...1981 to 2011 & retired...
I had permits to posses handguns in NYC starting in 1975 before i joined the NYPD...NY STATE PENAL LAW section 400.00 authorizes TWO type of handgun permits....carry permit and premise permit...the carry permit is valid ANYWHERE in NY STATE except, of course, NYC....the premise permit authorizes a handgun on the address on the permit only....there was a time when NYC issued a "target" permit...that authorized the permit holder to take his firearm to and from a shooting range in a LOCKED BOX with ammo to be carried separately....also it allowed the permit holder to carry his firearm afield while actually hunting...meaning that when you were finished hunting the weapon had to go back in the locked box...!!!! I believe a lawsuit against the NYPD LICENSE DIV. did away with the "target" permit since that type of license was not in the NY STATE PENAL LAW...also NYC limited one to 3 handguns...another lawsuit threw that out and NYC now requires you to own a safe to secure your handguns if you own more than 3...you must submit a copy of the bill of sale for the safe and a photo of the safe showing it closed and open..!!!!! So now NYC only issues premise permits and of course the carry license which is about impossible to obtain unless you meet their "guidelines"...(you must show "need" to carry a firearm...they decide if your need is valid)....the problem with the premise permit is when you want to take your handgun hunting...NYC will give you an endorsement(piece of paper) that "authorizes" you to take your weapon afield hunting...there is no such provision in NY STATE LAW...sooooo..there are counties in upstate NY that go by what your permit says...the premise permit says you may only posess it on the address on the permit....you are in violation of NY STATE LAW if you are afield with your weapon in upstate NY...so far no one has had a problem hunting upstate with their premise permit and that "hunting endorsement" issued by NYC....as you can see NYC is loathe to issue carry permits....nuff said

I left NYC upon retirement so i am not quite up on their latest regs re handguns....
PETE

Last edited by pdman; 01/22/19. Reason: spelling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Heller recognized a Federal right to keep arms for self defense within one's own home.
Mcdonald extended that to the states.
The purpose of this suit is to gain recognition that the right to bear arms extends beyond ones own home.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for that info Pete, glad you made it out alive too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be a bad time for this case.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Might be a bad time for this case.

Why? Should be 5/4 anyway. And more if RBG does the right thing, and we get another Trump appointee in.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
It sure would suck if it didn't go our way and we ended up with another conservative judge afterward.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a lot to hope in this day and age.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higbean
It sure would suck if it didn't go our way and we ended up with another conservative judge afterward.

If they were use the constitution as a guide, the vote would be 9-0.

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't count on that. Neither Roberts nor Kavanaugh can be trusted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.