Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by 6mm250
So Winchester invested time , money & effort into a major flop.

Nothing new.

Mike

243 Kreedmire stole your "thunder". Didn't it? Hint.

Laughing!.................

Nah , I'm skeered the 308 Win is gonna fail & I'll be stuck

Mike

With yet another name change?

Bummer.

Laughing!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
At least it’s not a new proprietary offering from Remington, it’d be a guaranteed flop and obsolete within 5 years if it was. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or Nuzzler..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Personally, I would be embarrassed to use an AR deer hunting. No offense to anyone intended. Just a personal thing.

Thank you Mr. Zumbo!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Personally, I would be embarrassed to use an AR deer hunting. No offense to anyone intended. Just a personal thing.

Thank you Mr. Zumbo!

Had to duckduckgo it . . . First I've ever heard of him. Not me, for sure!

Jim Zumbo
Occupation writer, editor
Jim Zumbo is a firearms and hunting commentator and writer. Until February 2007, he was the hunting editor for Outdoor Life magazine and host of the television program Jim Zumbo Outdoors on The Outdoor Channel. He was removed from both positions after he criticized the use of semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47 for hunting in his blog. On July 3, 2007 Zumbo's TV show went back on the air.

On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies [sic] and woods.[2]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thank you Mr. Zumbo!

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies [sic] and woods.

Umm...

Not trying to be confrontational here, but you did indeed offer the abridged version of what he said.

Last edited by rockinbbar; 01/23/19.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Thank you Mr. Zumbo!

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies [sic] and woods.

Umm...

Not trying to be confrontational here, but you did indeed offer the abridged version of what he said.

And OO was probably sober...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So far OrangeOkie doesn't know why AR's embarrass him and nobody seems to know what state this cartridge is marketed to.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
So far OrangeOkie doesn't know why AR's embarrass him and nobody seems to know what state this cartridge is marketed to.

Michigan for one in many locations it is either shotgun, muzzle loader or a straight wall center fire less than 1.8”. Ohio also I believe.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
[quote=deflave]So far OrangeOkie doesn't know why AR's embarrass him and nobody seems to know what state this cartridge is marketed to.

Literally 1 minute after your first question.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...31/re-winchester-350-legend#Post13482031

Last edited by m_stevenson; 01/23/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks Stevenson.

I musta been seeing double when I scrolled past that page.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

Michigan for one in many locations it is either shotgun, muzzle loader or a straight wall center fire less than 1.8”. Ohio also I believe.

There better be a LOT of deer hunters there.

Otherwise this thing is dead before it gets off the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't doubt that Ohio joining the growing list of state to add straight walled cartridges to their list of legal deer weapons caused more push for this cartridge. As with any new cartridge, we'll see if it stands the test of time.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dead in the water.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

There better be a LOT of deer hunters there.

Otherwise this thing is dead before it gets off the ground.

Michigan alone has more than 700,000 firearm deer hunters. I'd SWAG that maybe 1/3 of those hunt in Zone 3 Southern Lower Michigan.
That's a lot of hunters.
Randy's in Bad Axe, MI is the guy who worked with a distributor to have Ruger make the American in 450 Bushmaster. I think it was 1000? Sold out in weeks. So did the next order of 2200~. The next year they are a Ruger cataloged item.
1/2 dozen other manufacturers are chambering it. Including Christensen Arms' Mesa, which is a hell of a nice rifle btw.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It could actually have a niche in the AR market. Load it down to subsonic levels and it would be a very nice, big hole making, suppressed round along the lines of the Russian 9x39. Load it hot and it would be twenty rounds or so of a .357 magnum on steroids for home defense. In a pencil barreled lightweight AR, it would be 21st Century equivalent of a Winchester 92 for all around use.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It could actually have a niche in the AR market. Load it down to subsonic levels and it would be a very nice, big hole making, suppressed round along the lines of the Russian 9x39. Load it hot and it would be twenty rounds or so of a .357 magnum on steroids for home defense. In a pencil barreled lightweight AR, it would be 21st Century equivalent of a Winchester 92 for all around use.

I agree. Could be a market there, along with the straight wall hunting areas.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We are getting 2,850 fps out of our version (trim length of 1.595") with 110 gr Hornady FTX .357s

Heavy subs will be a problem... Seating depth on say 250s to 350s will bulge the case internally and prevent cambering. Best guess on subs will be a max of 200 or 225s... not sure yet... we are still messing around...

Working with 125, 140s FTXs and XTPs and 158s now... 180s also, but IMHO the sweet speed is going to be 140gr - 158gr.

Data we are heading toward...

160 Grain Cutting Edge
Remington Case
26 Grains H110
Seat O.A.L 2.320"
Remington 7 1/2 Primer
Velocity: 2,421 @ 14 foot measurement point
Accuracy at:
100 Yards: 0.550"
200 Yards: 2.141"
300 Yards: 2.450"

But Cutting Edge bullets are dang expensive...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13237971/1

Not sure why the 350 Legend is using a 1.710" trim length... we are hitting max pressure/speed with 1.595".

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
. . . Umm...

I reposted what he wrote just for the convenience of others who may never have heard of him or his (highlighted) ignorant personal opinions. Like I said, none of that applies to me. My exposure and use of ARs is strictly limited to the Marine Corps and for me, they are useful today only as a personal defense weapon, not a hunting rifle I would carry to the field. I would simply feel a little bit like an important, self conscious "Barney Fife" carrying a military rifle out in the woods. Just my personal opinion. To each his own.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Michigan alone has more than 700,000 firearm deer hunters. I'd SWAG that maybe 1/3 of those hunt in Zone 3 Southern Lower Michigan.
That's a lot of hunters.
Randy's in Bad Axe, MI is the guy who worked with a distributor to have Ruger make the American in 450 Bushmaster. I think it was 1000? Sold out in weeks. So did the next order of 2200~. The next year they are a Ruger cataloged item.
1/2 dozen other manufacturers are chambering it. Including Christensen Arms' Mesa, which is a hell of a nice rifle btw.

Limited runs of existing cartridges in existing platforms make a lot of sense.

This does not.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,296 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.