Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
So, just to clarify.....We have the best gun rights in the world because of luck and the kindness of the Politicians hearts? I find that hard to believe.
If I were speculating on why we still have the gun rights we do I would credit the 2nd Amendment. I just wish our NRA would keep that issue constantly in court.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Wow! This exemplifies lack of unity...

Compromise and not standing firm for our freedoms tends to do that

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate the NBA...it’s nothing but a slam fest......

🧐

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH

10-4, someone on speaking terms with NRA leadership should convince them there is a problem, and that a bunch of folks that could be avid supporters are badly disaffected. We are the people NRA needs, they are never going to win over the other side by being "reasonable" or supporting "common sense" gun safety regulations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“NRA Certified Instructor”

That’s as funny as their insurance policy.

So let me get this straight, is a “NRACI” the top of the heap or bottom of the barrel??

100% meaningless......

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

This. As a pro gun person, I realize that there is room for, and a need for different groups and approaches in our continual struggle to support the Second Amendment. Some groups are better in the legal field. It is much less costly than the a full federal/state legislative approach. It is also easier to pick and choose your cases and usually they are taking the initiative (going on offense) against ill advised laws and regulations. GOA and SAF are examples of such groups - and I support them. Then there are the legislative/political fields. In this area we are more on the defensive. Why? Because we generally lack popular political support. We can't get 60 Senators to support concealed carry reciprocity or the legal use of suppressors. By its nature the legislative process is a compromise process. Sometimes you face a situation where you have to "give" in order to stall off a potentially worse legislative outcome, or to avoid a situation where you place your political allies in a vulnerable situation (i.e. bump stocks). And it is very expensive, especially if you seriously engage in the necessary political election process to support a legislative agenda at the federal and state level. NRA is one example of such a group and I support them as well. I also support them for the many other programs they run (education, competitions, funding support for ranges, insurance, etc.).
As Shrapnel says - unity in the key. It is also common in the political/legislative areas to have "shadow" groups pop up to specifically create disunity in causes..

Last edited by logger; 01/23/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just wish our NRA would keep that issue constantly in court.

You do realize the supreme court hasn't heard a gun case in 10 years?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 16bore

So let me get this straight, is a “NRACI” the top of the heap or bottom of the barrel??

100% meaningless......

Depends, what the goal is. I did it to teach new shooter and to give the required class for a pistol permit. Does it make you an incredible teacher NO. You get out of it what you put into it. Are there better more advanced courses absolutely. It is not a bad place to start.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by 700LH

10-4, someone on speaking terms with NRA leadership should convince them there is a problem, and that a bunch of folks that could be avid supporters are badly disaffected. We are the people NRA needs, they are never going to win over the other side by being "reasonable" or supporting "common sense" gun safety regulations.

This shouldn’t be a decisive issue but it has become that. We almost got Hillary as POTUS and too soon we have forgotten that. Part of the reason for this is, we are too set on our own view and can’t bend for the wrong reason, not recognizing the right reason...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Who has the best return on investment?

Genuinely curious. NSSF, GOA, NRA......I am sure there are others.

The NRA has it's place. Best bang for the buck would go to the SAF. They are usually the first to file lawsuits in support of the 2nd.
After the NRA sees which way the winds are blowing they may join the suit later and claim victory.

There may be a lot of truth in that last sentence. It seems that lately they only take on what they feel they can easily win. About ten years ago, I bought a bound collection of the American Rifleman so I have literally almost every copy from 1936 to the present date. I have a few 1936/6 and am still missing all of 1939. It's interesting to see just how the NRA has changed from supporting the shooting sports to a political entity.

There are times when I get the feeling the NRA does not want to win. They compromise a lot and every time they do, the antis gain another inch and we lose another inch. I'm an endowment life member and frankly, during the last few years I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth. I've been a member starting with annual membership back in 1955 and raised my level over the years to my current level.

Gun control for the NRA has become a big cash cow. as long as the antis do their thing, we the membership will send in money. The question is, "Are we getting our money's worth?"
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What the hell is a FUDD?

Jim,
A Fudd is the guy who shoots trap and considers himself an outdoorsman but refuses to be concerned about things like concealed carry reform or assault weapons bans.

Because they feel it does not affect them.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This discussion is running in circles and I admit I have been more or less repeating the same stuff over and over. But it would be accurate to say millions of gun owners think the NRA is a money grubbing org. that is not avid enough in defense of our gun rights. Those millions of people are the only people that can insure the survival of the NRA and more importantly our gun ownership rights. If we perceive the NRA as ineffectual we will go somewhere else. You happy NRA members need us, and our millions of dollars. If you don't accommodate us we will go somewhere else. You can go absolutely nowhere else for members and support. The end.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
it would be accurate to say millions of gun owners think the NRA is a money grubbing org. that is not avid enough in defense of our gun rights. Those millions of people are the only people that an insure the survival of the NRA

There are only 4.5 million NRA members, but 160 million gun owners. Who's not doing their part?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

100% meaningless......

Depends, what the goal is. I did it to teach new shooter and to give the required class for a pistol permit. Does it make you an incredible teacher NO. You get out of it what you put into it. Are there better more advanced courses absolutely. It is not a bad place to start.

Not “slamming” you or your efforts. Just saying that all the eggs in one basket is never a good idea. Seems the entire “gun world” has decided that anything stamped “NRA” approved or certified is the be all end all.

Same as FDA, EPA....etc.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

100% meaningless......

Not “slamming” you or your efforts. Just saying that all the eggs in one basket is never a good idea. Seems the entire “gun world” has decided that anything stamped “NRA” approved or certified is the be all end all.

Same as FDA, EPA....etc.

I didn't take it as you slamming me. Adults can discuss issues and not always agree. I agree the NRA courses are lacking, but also depends on the instructor you get too and their motivation for being an instructor. I by no means got into it to profit. I got in because I want to get more people involved in shooting, shooting sports, and hunting. I'll be the first to tell you I am not a great instructor. I just haven't given enough classes and I didn't get my instruction from the best teacher either. I know the material and how to shoot. I could use help conveying it to the students at times. I have a buddy from the Marine Corps that has a really good program going out in Southern California. He has a solid customer base and he loves teaching and is good at it all around. Like I said it's a good start.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It is rants like this that give strength to the anti gun people. The 2 most important ingredients in holding on to the freedoms we have in this country are truth and unity. The Democrats have unity but no truth. Conservatives have truth but no unity. It is obvious that if you only have one ingredient, unity is more powerful.

It is time conservatives realize this and become unified, because both truth and unity will destroy liberalism...

This. If you are having heartburn with the NRA, join a different gun organization. But, if we don't think unity the democrats are going to eat our lunch and kick sand in our faces.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Its easy to hop up on a pedestal and squawk about zero compromise and bash the NRA. The truth of the matter is if it wouldn't be for the NRA , they're wouldn't be any gun rights to not compromise on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coyote268
I have been a member for over 60 years, that said, I feel there needs to be a shake up or reorganization in it. I paid my membership two months ago. Since that time I have received three letters, two phone calls and two emails saying I need to renew my membership. Waste of time and money. I will continue to support them but as said by some, I feel a change in leadership should be looked at to better support us. I also belong to the CA. Rifle and Pistol Assn. which I feel does a better job for us here as far as firearms and hunting than the NRA.

Since you were around then, along with me, does the current climate sort of remind you of the way things got just before the “ revolution “ when Harlan Carter fought, and won, to take the organization back, away from the politicians? That’s the reason I never became a Life Member though I’ve sent them more money over the years than a lot of those guys. History has a way of repeating itself.

I’ve been thinking that and wondered if I’m alone in that.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I laugh at you heroes proclaiming you won't pay the NRA to do what you should do yourself.

After you get done building your own house and car (How's that steel furnace coming?) and when you get back from hand-delivering all of your mail, go spend a month lobbying Congress and let us know what you accomplish.

A whole lot of people have a whole lot of excuses for being too cheap to support the organization(s) pivotal to retaining our rights.

And, it's not an either/or choice. Support NRA, GOA, SAF and your state gun rights organization. Support them with >money<, repeatedly. Forget your next rifle, split that up among those four organizations.

And quit being iconoclastic morons about "fight them in court". Just because we are right doesn't mean we are going to win every case. And each case we lose becomes a major new hurdle to overcome. It is way better to block bad legislation than roll the dice in the courts again and again.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85
Its easy to hop up on a pedestal and squawk about zero compromise and bash the NRA. The truth of the matter is if it wouldn't be for the NRA , they're wouldn't be any gun rights to not compromise on.

I bet it was the NRA that convinced you of that

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.