Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brushbuster
I was thinking 175barnes lrx loads. Seems like they can hold good velocity over a pretty long distance. Even the barnes factory 190lrx are fairly impressive at 3125fps if it shoots well. Is the 300rum difficult to reload for?

Not difficult but IMO pretty inefficient for the amount of powder you're burning every shot. A 300 Weatherby would be a lot more efficient and get you close to the RUM specs without taking out a loan for powder and brass.... recoil is a lot more managable also for some in the 300 Mag or Wby , but I've shot stock Rem 700 rifles in 300 RUM and never had any real discomfort.....

Stick would know a lot more about what specs you would need in that spout for the bullets you are interested in. I don't have much experience with long copper pills..

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
HR IC

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What about 28 Nosler? Ive always liked the 7mms I just shy away from the Noslers for whatever strange reason. Does anybody know what velocities you could get with .284 lrx pills in a 28 Nosler?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What about 28 Nosler? Ive always liked the 7mms I just shy away from the Noslers for whatever strange reason. Does anybody know what velocities you could get with .284 lrx pills in a 28 Nosler?

Nosler/Norma brass sucks ass and is an easy pass. "Velocity" alone,is a VERY poor focus.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I always thought Nosler and norma was good quality. What do you prefer? Lapua?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nosler/Norma is fhuqking schit on the average,as compared to Lapooey. If I've a choice,I WANT Alpha only.

Keep the horse in FRONT of the fhuqking cart.

Hint...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Nosler/Norma brass sucks ass and is an easy pass. "Velocity" alone,is a VERY poor focus.

Hint................

I don't want to focus on just velocity. Accuracy and consistency are the most important to me but I just want to get whatever speed I can get for bullet expansion at long range that's all. And to estimate the impact speed at a given range

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hint................

I don't want to focus on just velocity. Accuracy and consistency are the most important to me but I just want to get whatever speed I can get for bullet expansion at long range that's all. And to estimate the impact speed at a given range

Do it this way...how fhuqking "far",is YOUR far?

Placement trumps ALL and less is very often MORE,as capacity goes.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, who else is making the 22,26,28,30 Nosler brass these days?

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who fhuqking cares......................(grin)

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Hint................

Hint.................

Hint................

Hint.................

Agreed! And my far is 800 yards

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At your far,how big is your "fast"...regarding impact velocity?.....................

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Running numbers on ballistic calculators it shows the 7mag/300win with lead free bullets to be around 1600+fps @800 yards
while the 28 Nosler/300rum with lead free bullets to be around 1750fps800 yards.
Not sure if the 150fps will help or not at those speeds for expansion. I guess it doesn't hurt. If it really doesn't have a big affect then the old 300winmag with 175 lrx might be the ticket with less recoil than either of the ultra magnums.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Perspective.

A 21" 7-08 shooting 180 ELD's at 2600fps,hits the 1000yd line at 1600fps.

Ooopsie!

HINT.................(grin)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Waaaaaaaaaay too high estimate.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Perspective.

Ooopsie!

Hmmmmm. Not sure why my numbers are so low compared to that. I was using the applied ballistics calculator.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Perspective.

Ooopsie!

Hmmmmm. Not sure why my numbers are so low compared to that. I was using the applied ballistics calculator.

Simply because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy fhuqking more than headstamps. HINT.

Your numbers are correct,but your bullets suck ass.

The .284" 180 ELD has a .796 BC.....................(grin)

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Right I get all of that. But I HAVE to shoot lead free hunting bullets in California with much lower BCs. If I had it my way I would shoot high BC long range bullets in this gun but I gotta do what I gotta do .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I simply cited perspective,because extrapolations are germane.

Purty funny to double powder capacity and STILL suck ass...to a "lowly" 21" 7-08..................(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who fhuqking cares......................(grin)

Guess I should have seen that one coming.... LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is,what it is...............(grin)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,312
Posts18,505,551
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.