Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mudhen,

SAME EXACT ANSWER, as I promised: Call the TPWD in the Austin HQ & ask them.

yours, tex

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These threads never fail to be entertaining. And enlightening. smile

mudhen and mark are right about lions attacking horses. They do indeed. I worked one case in Mayhill, NM but the horse lived, but was scratched up pretty badly. Zero doubt it was a lion.

A few months later I was called to another attack about 7-8 miles from there to work a case where a calf was killed by a lion.

Lions do play hell with sheep ranchers though. They can and will kill many in one night. Especially when teaching their young ones to hunt/kill.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
not in texas but west virginia, my uncle let a guy hunt on his property and he got a trail cam pic a few years ago. the area is known to have black panther sightings for 40 years, what do you think about this pic. to me its a adolescent black panther but to each his own.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13499963/just-curious#comments

also there is a local girl I know that got a pic of one on her trail cam about 60 miles from where this pic was taken, showed it to the game wardens and they spent 6 months trying to catch it

It is quite simple to search Google for this image, and I've done it already. This image is unique. (Meaning not posted elsewhere)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i could find nothing on google about any recent sittings in the valley, even called my uncle that lives in Mercedes and he had never heard of one being spotted around there either.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Lions do play hell with sheep ranchers though. They can and will kill many in one night. Especially when teaching their young ones to hunt/kill.

True^^^^^^^^^

We came upon a scene while hunting Mule Deer in the Independence Range in Northern Nevada one year that looked like a box car carrying wool had exploded on a mountain side. It didn't take a wildlife biologist to figure that caper out.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Ranchers kill every lion the can, Eagles too!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i could find nothing on google about any recent sittings in the valley, even called my uncle that lives in Mercedes and he had never heard of one being spotted around there either.

Maybe DH has some confidential informants.... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hilarious....

I was sleeping in my tent and I heard a scream and saw a track the next day!

Guy says well let's put you in the map!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For anyone interested.......Liin Hunter and houndsman, Warner Glenn has an excellent book with some great pix of Jaguars (or the scarcity of) in So. AZ.

You used to be able to order an Autographed Copy directly from him but I'm not sure if those are still available.....or if he's still alive. I have one and cherish it.

https://colablancaproductions.com/products/eyes-of-fire-encounter-with-a-borderlands-jaguar

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DarlaG
GregW,

Lest anyone else be "confused", as I'm reasonably sure that you are NOT (& have not been), as far as I know WT deer don't eat any sort of grass, as they aren't "grazers", but rather are " browsers", who mostly seek out/eat leaves, tender stems/twigs & other "non-grass" items (like our family's EXPENSIVE "calf creep" out of the calf-feeders on our farm. = Deer really LOVE that stuff but I'd sooner not feed them calf creep.) for example..

Axis deer DO happily eat grass & therefore are NOT usually "competitors for food" with native WTs, unless they are near to starvation..

yours, tex

Texdarlaidiot, jump on google and find out if wild rye is a grass.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For twelve years I was one of a group that hunted the same 100k acre ranch southwest of Sanderson for MD for three weeks each Fall. There were 24 mostly experienced Texas hunters in the camp and everyone wanted to kill a lion. We never saw one although their tracks were often encountered. A lot of nighttime varmint calling also took place with fox, coyotes, and bobcats taken, but no lions seen.

We went through three ranch managers and the last one was an experienced lion trapper. He caught six in his first five months on the ranch. Point being that they can be fairly thick and never be spotted.

The ranch management believed they never lost any cattle to lions, but when a bear moved into the West end of the ranch he killed two yearling steers.

Oddly enough, there were three old wether goats left over from a herd they originally had near Beef Canyon, and they survived the lions. I guess deer were easier prey........ or maybe they couldn’t stand the smell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago TPWD tried to re-introduce desert bighorns to the Trans Pecos area. Black Gap, to be more specific.

There's some desert bighorns in the area now, due to a concentrated effort, but when they tried that in Black gap the first time, the lions thought it was a bighorn buffet..

They killed every single one of them in short order.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TPWD tried to hire the trapper that came to be our ranch manager to work Black Gap , but they wanted him to work for a salary. He offered to work there for a bounty but they turned him down. He and his father are considered my most to be the best lion trappers in Texas.

I don’t know how much they spent moving the Bighorns from Elephant Butte to Black Gap, but I know helicopters don’t work cheap. Their “ investment” of 300 sheep dwindled to less than fifty by the second year.

He would have been a bargain.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is NOT meant to be argumentative, only a question........I understand the desert bighorn population to be thriving now in the Trans Pecos......No?

And, yes, I know lifelong ranchers down in that country who seldom, if ever see a lion, but are 100% sure they are there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
curdog4570,

100% correct that "helicopters don't work cheap". = For such a major reintroduction project, the TXARNG & TANG aviators/helicopters could/would probably be used for that task. - In the past, the ANG & ARNG assets have done LESS important things for the TX environment.

Some of the oil & gas companies would likely provide air support (for the GOOD publicity) if asked. = FYI, I once, long ago got involved (in a small way, doing manual labor in loading/unloading the trucks) with feeding the starving ducks/geese in VA/MD during an extended/severe ice storm. - I was one of many "sportsmen"/DU members/"ordinary people", who helped pay for, hauled & helped load "bird food" (mostly "cracked corn") for the ducks/geese, that were "delivered by air".

yours, tex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570
For twelve years I was one of a group that hunted the same 100k acre ranch southwest of Sanderson for MD for three weeks each Fall. There were 24 mostly experienced Texas hunters in the camp and everyone wanted to kill a lion. We never saw one although their tracks were often encountered. A lot of nighttime varmint calling also took place with fox, coyotes, and bobcats taken, but no lions seen.

We went through three ranch managers and the last one was an experienced lion trapper. He caught six in his first five months on the ranch. Point being that they can be fairly thick and never be spotted.

The ranch management believed they never lost any cattle to lions, but when a bear moved into the West end of the ranch he killed two yearling steers.

Oddly enough, there were three old wether goats left over from a herd they originally had near Beef Canyon, and they survived the lions. I guess deer were easier prey........ or maybe they couldn’t stand the smell.

When I hunted leopard in Zambia, one rarely saw them because they are nocturnal and secretive, but it was possible to shoot them by sticking a bait animal up in a tree, ideally against the setting sun and constructing a hide. Estimates were that there were as many as one million leopards throughout Africa, even within the major cities in South Africa, and it was silly to worry about extinction just because most people had never seen them and had no idea where they were.

We do have mountain lions in or near our neighborhood in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque, though most of the family pets are lost to coyotes.

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 01/28/19.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DarlaG
GregW,

SORRY, we were ordered "by higher government authority" to say no more about our place of assignment, than "a friendly nation or nations in Latin America", EVER..
(Since you seem to be deemed an authority by numerous members on jaguars, I feel sure that you can easily guess what nation(s) that I'm talking about.)

yours, tex

Lee24...is that you?

I wonder if he still has his Winchester M 70 .375 H&H Super Grade?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (257 roberts, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 15 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,891
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.