Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 46 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 45 46
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like your enthusiasm gunner. One shoot you may be interested in trying is the Carl Ross positional match:

Carl Ross postal positional match

This gets us off the bench and more into our favorite field positions. It's also a timed event, so there's no dilly dallying around. You really got to work at it to get a decent score. The best I did was actually with one of my favorite AR's. I've mentioned this shoot quite a few times, but it doesn't get a lot of interest. Formidilosus played along, as did a few others, who actually earned my respect in that shoot. I believe I was the high score on that shoot, with my 18 out of 20 score, and didn't even post my best score of 19 out of 20:
[Linked Image]

because there was such a lack of interest in that shoot. I tried bumping that one along, but no one wanted to play. Even Pat Sinclair tried, but with only 2 shots on each target, then never posted again...

I also believe Formid uses this drill on occasion as a partial training for his guys. Generally I shoot this with my new rifles, to see how they do in different field positions, which is extremely valuable to me as a hunter. I've actually sent a couple rifles down the road, after shooting this event and finding out they didn't fit me well enough to warrant keeping around.

The AR that surprised the chit out of me, with the score of 19/20, was my Northtech defense with a 20" fluted stainless barrel:
[Linked Image]
I also used this rifle to shoot my second best score (my best was .833 MOA with my Stag 6H) in the black rifle challenge:
[Linked Image]

I highly suggest you try this one out for yourself buddy. It is excellent practice and keeps your field positions from getting too rusty..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, Thanks Buddy, I didn't hit the link yet, but are these at 100 yards?

And holy chit, TIMED event, I'll hook the trailer to the back of the John Deere lawn tractor and have Wife drive me back up to the house while I lie back there with a quart of muscadine wine calming myself ; ] cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice, Thanks Buddy, I didn't hit the link yet, but are these at 100 yards?

And holy chit, TIMED event, I'll hook the trailer to the back of the John Deere lawn tractor and have Wife drive me back up to the house while I lie back there with a quart of muscadine wine calming myself ; ] cool

Ha ha. Yeah, they are shot at 100 yards. You aren't kidding. I left the part out where it actually wore my azz out, trying it the first few times. Especially when I was shooting my heavier rifles, like my 9.3x62mm... sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Whew, that's what I was afraid of lol, on a serious note, that Northtech AR is a hell of an accurate little banger you've got there Buddy.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks my friend. I hate to say it, but i'm more attached to it than I am my Noveske...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
When they go where you're pointing it's impossible not to like, I should see what one of my 7 twist PSA's will do, would need to put a good glass on it, they're just house guns now loaded with EoTechs, 64gr Nosler bonded splatmasters and 62gr TTSX.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When they go where you're pointing it's impossible not to like, I should see what one of my 7 twist PSA's will do, would need to put a good glass on it, they're just house guns now loaded with EoTechs, 64gr Nosler bonded splatmasters and 62gr TTSX.

You can use your bolt action hunting rifles too. Carl posted this thread in the hunting rifle forum. If you click on the link, you'll see there was not much participation. Not even from those hunter types that mock some of us for shooting off the bench. What some of them don't know, is we don't all just shoot off the bench.... wink . We don't all just shoot at paper targets ALL the time either... wink , as they so cunningly wish to believe.. whistle
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about the "National Match Challenge"? smile

You can shoot 50 or 80 shots.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm gonna toss this out... orange and red, my eyes see very blurry targets, no precise edge definition etc... my eyes allow me to shoot better with buff or white background, a black diamond with white center diamond.

Y'all are doing great, but the bright targets might not be helping.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm gonna toss this out... orange and red, my eyes see very blurry targets, no precise edge definition etc... my eyes allow me to shoot better with buff or white background, a black diamond with white center diamond.

Everyones eyes are different. The brighter orange with the black center helps my piss poor eyesight.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You can use your bolt action hunting rifles too. Carl posted this thread in the hunting rifle forum. If you click on the link, you'll see there was not much participation. Not even from those hunter types that mock some of us for shooting off the bench. What some of them don't know, is we don't all just shoot off the bench.... wink . We don't all just shoot at paper targets ALL the time either... wink , as they so cunningly wish to believe.. whistle
[Linked Image]

10-4 on the bolt guns, and yes, surprises can and do come in many differing areas to doubters. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495

Everyones eyes are different. The brighter orange with the black center helps my piss poor eyesight.

I use solid black painted steel gongs at the house, no reference points except the target itself, makes leveling and centering those Sharps rifle iron sights that much tougher, same/same for scoped rifles, the object itself is your mark, bracketing it center, then striking center mass with reticle or iron sights is job number one, my thinking on that is I've never seen an animal with a target dot on itself ; ]

The little redfield targets with 1" squares come in handy for setting a zero on set and forget standard type hunting rifles. smile

Trump Won!
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Are you crazy? No one can shoot 50 rounds in a setting much less 80... smile

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Help me out if I shoot one shot every 5 minutes, how long would it take? Grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR

Why does it take you so long to get a shot off?

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Are you crazy? No one can shoot 50 rounds in a setting much less 80... smile

50 to 80 rounds?...........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........................zzzzz...............oh chit, I had a mini stroke just reading that! lmfao!

Trump Won!
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

You gotta keep the barrel cool...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I shot four, then three, and three, letting the barrel cool, still took better than an hour and twenty minutes to get it done, but that was with the little Swede, a 300 magnum in august would take all damn day.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

You gotta keep the barrel cool...

You need to get over yourself man. If you are not happy with your results, because your barrel was smoking hot, shoot it over. Im not whining because your rifle has a custom fu cking tube on it. Quit whining about how we shoot the event. Maybe youll do better next time.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh nevermind, you're a hoot!

Last edited by TWR; 01/30/19.
Page 20 of 46 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 160user, 2500HD, 222Sako, 219DW, 48 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,391
Posts18,506,846
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.