Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm big on tradition but i like this idea. should have done it years ago. shoot a deer on saturday, celebrate saturday night and butcher it on sunday and head home if you don't have monday off. this will make a big difference in hunting for me and my boys.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Dale K
I've got 3 main beefs with moving the opener to the Saturday after Thanksgiving:

1) There is currently small game and turkey hunting on that day. In the past, I've done a lot of deer scouting while small game hunting (I hunt both in the same area) on that Saturday. That option would be lost.

2) Currently, I go to my daughters house near Reading for Thanksgiving, come home to Somerset on Saturday and go to my hunting area near DuBois on Sunday. With the Saturday opener, when do I travel and repack from 'family clothes' to 'hunting clothes'? Leave her house (and the grandkids) on Thanksgiving? Drive all day on Friday and end up dead tired for Saturday? Both of those options suck big time.

3) With Sundays currently closed for hunting of most species (coyotes, foxes, and crows are legal to hunt in Pa. on Sunday), what is there to do? Drink all day? Drive home so I can go to work on Monday? Target shoot and scare the deer more?

For me, it doesn't solve anything and only creates more problems.

Dale

I can't even wrap my head around that one. You deer hunt and small game hunt the same area. You small game hunt that Saturday and scout for the opener on Monday.

So going there to small game hunt is no problem on Saturday, but somehow going there to deer hunt on Saturday is a PIA. On top of that, you can't keep yourself occupied for 12 hours on Sunday, so the season needs to open on Monday.

Very confusing.

Also apparently bear mating, sleep and deer fugging all factors in, as well as the Blue laws. Yep, sounds groovy.

Sorry Scott, I tried to be clear but didn't make it. Item 1 (small game and scouting) happened when I lived in that area and it was easy to go hunting but I don't live there anymore. Item 2 (traveling) is what happens now. Moving the opener to that Saturday really limits my travel time to the Friday after Thanksgiving. It does that same for a lot of other hunters who travel to 'camp'.

Dale

This space for rent

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Opening day is still opening day. I don’t thin’ it’s ever been a different day in my life so it’s very interesting reading different perspectives here. You’d think having opening day on a non work day traditionally is better. You can bet your azz the politicians commissioners etc. make decisions based on reason$.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think that if I lived in PA, I'd be having a celebration. They're giving you an extra day to hunt and moving the opener to Saturday. So some people who have to work, don't have to take off or miss opening day. Sounds like a Win/Win situation to me.

In Maryland, opening day has always been on Saturday. Like you, it's been a tradition. Most people here, don't actually go to Deer Camp. Like most people here, I just walk out my door and 45 minutes later I'm sitting in my tree stand. Logistically, I can see how this might screw up people's routine. If it's that much trouble, just keep on doing what you do. Up until a few years ago, it was illegal to hunt on Sunday here. Sunday seemed as though it was like a cool down day after the place was shot up on Saturday. I always thought it was beneficial for the hunting on Monday. Now we can hunt on Sunday here and it hasn't changed a damn thing.

We're only about a 30 to 60 minute drive from the PA line. If you drive past the parking areas at the public hunting lands on Saturday, 75% of the vehicles have PA tags. If PA changes to Saturday, it might keep those "Penntuckians" from coming down here a scaring all of our deer. laugh

Changing hunting seasons can be problematic for a lot of people though. Up until 1990, our gun season was only one week long, Saturday to Saturday. So basically, if you had to work during the week, it only gave you two days to hunt. Our deer population was exploding and DNR had to do something. So they extended it another week. The waterfowl hunters went crazy because it was cutting a week out of their 6 month long hunting season. cry I was hunting a lot of geese back then, but I loved to hunt deer too, so I welcomed it.

I do business with a lot of people in North East PA and most of those guys hunt. I'm going to ask them what they think about this the next time I talk to them.

All I can say is that if they change it, it won't be the end of the world and everybody will adapt.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe they should take a lesson from Idaho's experience. Years ago, Idaho's opening day was on Saturday. Then we had a spell when deer numbers dropped way down. They switched it to Wednesday to cut the opening day pressure and to hopefully have more deer survive. After deer numbers revived, many hunters wanted to return to Saturday while others preferred an opener with lower hunter numbers. They compromised by going to a date rather than a day of the week. General season opens Oct 10 (5th in some areas with larger deer numbers) no matter what day of the week it falls on. They did the same with elk, opening on Oct 15. It's been working well this way for a long time. No matter what day you prefer, it'll come around again in a few years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pahick
I always wondered why it ain't open earlier in November.

The rut. The majority of doe are bread around the 16th. An earlier season would have disastrous effect on reproduction.

There are plenty of deer in Kentucky.
https://app.fw.ky.gov/SeasonDates/Default.aspx (Hit the drop-down & choose "Deer")

Politics is War by Other Means
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

All of this may not matter as CWD is the elephant in the room and deer hunting as we have known it in PA is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

PGC Executive Director Bryan Burhans called CWD an ecological disaster and compared it to the blight that wiped out the Chestnut trees a century ago.

In 2017 CWD was found in 78 free ranging deer (compared to 25 in 2016). Will be interesting to see what the 2018 numbers portend.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by pahick
I always wondered why it ain't open earlier in November.

The rut. The majority of doe are bread around the 16th. An earlier season would have disastrous effect on reproduction.

There are plenty of deer in Kentucky.
https://app.fw.ky.gov/SeasonDates/Default.aspx (Hit the drop-down & choose "Deer")

No offense, but PA isn’t KY....

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just pointing out that KY's gun season is at the height of the rut and the KY bucks seem to be gittin'-r-dun.

Is there something different about PA bucks?

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Maryland has opened on the Saturday after T'giving for probably as long as PA has done the Monday thing. No big deal. I hunt only PA the second week of the season anyway. What I would do if I were King would be to open Sunday hunting in PA also- there's one I never did understand.

I think it boils down to a lot of PA guys not wanting to interfere with the Weekend Before Hunting Season Deer Camp Traditions. I was smitten with that myself during the 20 years I lived in PA- head up to camp Friday after T'Giving, scout/small game hunt/sight in/plink/drink beer on Saturday, hit a couple bars Friday and Saturday night, chill out on Sunday, and hit it Monday morning.

Pretty much sums it up for our group of camps.

I drove 2+ hours each way from NY and hunted every weekend this year (including second archery season) so I don't need 1 extra day. Half my vacation goes towards hunting, and don't rally care. We own a camp in area 1B, (among a group that was established in the late 40s). The groups of guys in these camps are extremely traditional and old school. Traditional to the point where no women are allowed at deer camp. Ever. We have a dinner the day after Thanksgiving that has been happening for over 40 years where around 30-35 people show up from surrounding camps. This is the only time most of us see these guys. We eat a ton of food, drink a ton of beer and shoot the shït for hours. Hell, guys still throw in $1 for the buck pool hoping it goes to one of the kids on opening MONDAY. Saturday hunting would destroy this for us.

I agree with most of you that they opening Sunday hunting is more important to most of us, but keep the opening day of deer MONDAY.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Just pointing out that KY's gun season is at the height of the rut and the KY bucks seem to be gittin'-r-dun.

Don’t know about the bucks being different, but yes, hunter participation and hunting pressure is much different in PA. The 2017-18 deer harvest in PA was 367,000 deer (that’s more than the total number of licensed hunters in KY) while in KY it was 130,000 deer (with MUCH more liberal bag limits). As previously stated a firearms season during peak rut would decimate the PA buck population. Just ask a PA rifle hunter what impact they think bow season during the rut has on the overall buck population.

A buck must be alive to git-r-dun.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
We're only about a 30 to 60 minute drive from the PA line. If you drive past the parking areas at the public hunting lands on Saturday, 75% of the vehicles have PA tags. If PA changes to Saturday, it might keep those "Penntuckians" from coming down here a scaring all of our deer. laugh

Protectionism... Grin.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Don’t know about the bucks being different, but yes, hunter participation and hunting pressure is much different in PA. The 2017-18 deer harvest in PA was 367,000 deer while in KY it was 130,000 deer (with MUCH more liberal bag limits). As previously stated a firearms season during peak rut would decimate the PA buck population. Just ask a PA rifle hunter what impact they think bow season during the rut has on the overall buck population.

I think the point restriction has a big influence on the reproduction rates as well. Adding to your hunting pressure comment, before the point restriction, when most people saw antlers, pull the trigger, not allowing him the chance to do his thing. Now, that spike, forky, and small 6 has those three extra years to bang that many more does. Also, in the last 5 years or so, we see big boys on a regular basis. We pass on deer we would have had mounted 20 years ago.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

Don’t know about the bucks being different, but yes, hunter participation and hunting pressure is much different in PA. The 2017-18 deer harvest in PA was 367,000 deer while in KY it was 130,000 deer (with MUCH more liberal bag limits). As previously stated a firearms season during peak rut would decimate the PA buck population. Just ask a PA rifle hunter what impact they think bow season during the rut has on the overall buck population.

I think the point restriction has a big influence on the reproduction rates as well. Adding to your hunting pressure comment, before the point restriction, when most people saw antlers, pull the trigger, not allowing him the chance to do his thing. Now, that spike, forky, and small 6 has those three extra years to bang that many more does. Also, in the last 5 years or so, we see big boys on a regular basis. We pass on deer we would have had mounted 20 years ago.

I’m not talking about reproduction rates, talking about PA rifle season coinciding with peak rut....

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The increasing expansion of early seasons during the rut, declining rifle season participation and the posting of private lands are the three biggest factors effecting PA’s rifle season. Changing opening day would be devistating.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kingston

Quit whining and hunt if you want to hunt.

There it is. Bottom line.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No, theres something different about PA. Number of hunters are double that of KY

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by kingston

Quit whining and hunt if you want to hunt.

There it is. Bottom line.

Yeah but he's one to talk. He started this bitchfest.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Don’t know about the bucks being different, but yes, hunter participation and hunting pressure is much different in PA. The 2017-18 deer harvest in PA was 367,000 deer (that’s more than the total number of licensed hunters in KY) while in KY it was 130,000 deer (with MUCH more liberal bag limits). As previously stated a firearms season during peak rut would decimate the PA buck population. Just ask a PA rifle hunter what impact they think bow season during the rut has on the overall buck population.

A buck must be alive to git-r-dun.

PA has double the deer population too, correct?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Montana's firearms season flows right on through the rut, most years. I try to kill my deer early for that reason. Rutty buck tastes...rutty. I can't imagine that hunting during the rut would make that much difference to breeding. They'd just do the deed on Sundays, when the hunters can't hunt.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, 8 invisible), 1,334 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,522
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.