Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Spring of 2017, I drove from my home in central Washington, up through British Columbia and the Yukon, to Fairbanks. Camped most nights. Highly recommend the drive if you have the time for it!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Helio Courier north for quite a ways.
[Linked Image]

Four of us, two guides, two hunters, in a pretty nice little camp by a stream. First bear came pretty quickly. Then our camp dwindled to just two of us, and eventually on day 7 I tagged a nice grizzly with my 30-06 Rem 700. Ya, I know, a puny 30-06 in a wood stocked Rem 700. Sigh.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunted with Lyle Becker and Joey Klutsch. Those two guys worked hard and smart and provided a terrific hunt! I'd fished and backpacked in Alaska before, but had never hunted there before. Also had never taken the time to drive up and back. What a wonderful journey and a terrific hunt!

I could have brought a 375, and was tempted to do so, but before the hunt Lyle asked me a couple of questions that helped me make my rifle decision:

1. This is open country, you may need to take a 300 yard shot. Which rifle do you shoot better? Well, the 30-06 I'll admit.
2. This is tough country for hiking. Which rifle is lighter? Well, the 30-06 is.

So, I ended up taking the 30-06, which is very familiar to me from other hunts. Used my old 2-7 Redfield 'cause it's a decent scope. Handloaded 200 gr Nosler Partitions, with a very accurate, nice shooting load.

I will freely admit that after a long stalk, I completely blew my first shot at the grizzly, which appeared rather suddenly at less than 50 yards. I may have been a little excited... Probably put it 4 or 5 feet over the bear! Settled down after that thankfully.

I've hunted black bears and enjoyed, and will continue to do so. I think though, that my need for a big bear has been satisfied. He's an inch short of the record book, I didn't care. Hide squares a bit over 8' and is just incredible. The wolf hide & skull, and the grizzly hide and skull are great reminders of this trip. Likely the hunt of a lifetime for me.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 01/31/19.
GB1

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Oh, and a special thanks to Phil Shoemaker!

A 30 min conversation with him helped me figure out what kind of Alaskan bear hunt I wanted, and what I could afford.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 01/31/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember this from an earlier post. That's a great grizzly !! I really like the wolf. GuyM, I think was your old handle. You gave me the recipe for the 30/06-- 200 grain partitions.

I took my AK grizzly with a 375 Ruger----I planned on going back in 2020 with the 30/06. That was before Jake Jefferson lost his wife & closed his outfitting business. Now he's a single dad raising 6 kids-----the youngest is just 6 months old.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ya, I couldn't get "GuyM" to work anymore. Never could resolve the issue. Whatever it was. Some glitch.

Heart goes out to Jake.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I remember right you have taken a bunch of nice black bear with your son in WA.

Glad you're still alive----using a push feed 30/06. LOL !!

Last edited by colorado bob; 01/31/19.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Memories...

Mine looked just like yours, both size, color, and claws! However, mine was a fall bear, 1983, Western Brooks Range, 7mm Rem. Mag, and Super Cub to camp!!! I still enjoy looking at the rug every day.

I too was "satiated" with the big bears after that. Now I enjoy reliving other's hunts and watching live bears when up there.

Thanks for the great story and pictures!

Todd

Have not driven on the AK Hwy or Cassiar since 1989... need to add that back to the "bucket list!"

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice doggie too!!! Wish I had gotten one of those as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a very nice Brooks Range grizzly....very nice!

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
U mean u didnt go out and buy the lastest bigazz caliber gun and have it tuned by the finest smith in all the land ? Aint no way ! Lol...fun huh !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why not call it 10' like everyone else on the innerweb?

wink

Nice bear and wolf!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful bear

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VERY NICE!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
U mean u didnt go out and buy the lastest bigazz caliber gun and have it tuned by the finest smith in all the land ? Aint no way ! Lol...fun huh !

And no handgun for backup.....oh my!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pretty bear! Good re-post.

I need to get back up to the Brooks.

Last edited by cwh2; 01/31/19.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Honestly, I forgot that I posted this after the hunt.

But, what the heck.

Guy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great Bear, sounds like a great trip. Enjoyed your story, thank you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Drive to Alaska, kill a griz and a wolf, you are getting this whole adventure thing down pretty well. Congrats, thanks for the posts.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was happy to read about this hunt again. Great pics and great looking grizzly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow.
Great bear.
Thanks.

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very jealous here! Incredible. Congratulations!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I remember the prior thread, but didn't realize that you drove. That added to the adventure and two nice animals.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Cascade

But, what the heck.

Guy

Sometimes, after a great trip, there is a period of time where you aren't really accountable for your actions.

Here's your original thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12070178

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To say I'm jealous would be an understatement.

Heck, I'm jealous of your drive up there!

Sounds like an awesome time.

How did the .30-06 do?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff Guy! Great too see you back!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also, how did you like the Wrangler for that long of a trip?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Jake - I take the Wrangler on long trips several times a year. Last spring it carried my wife and I on a 3,600 mile trip through the southwest including a lot of 4wd use on desert roads.

It's NOT the greatest highway car! Especially the two-door. A little "twitchy" with the steering. I transitioned from a full-size truck to the Wrangler six years ago, and though I like the little rascal, it wouldn't be my first choice for a long highway drive. It did just fine on the trip up to Fairbanks and back, but frankly that road is nice enough now that a Toyota Camry or whatever could do it just fine, be more comfortable, and get better fuel economy. It is an incredible drive, and I am so glad that I took the time to drive this time, instead of simply flying up again.

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning: [Linked Image]

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 02/01/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grizzlies are very tenacious of life and can excel at gymnastics when by a bullet.
Ya did good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've flown in that same Currier into the Chandalar river country, Wright Air correct? Congrats on a great hunt too!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jake - I take the Wrangler on long trips several times a year. Last spring it carried my wife and I on a 3,600 mile trip through the southwest including a lot of 4wd use on desert roads.

It's NOT the greatest highway car! Especially the two-door. A little "twitchy" with the steering. I transitioned from a full-size truck to the Wrangler six years ago, and though I like the little rascal, it wouldn't be my first choice for a long highway drive. It did just fine on the trip up to Fairbanks and back, but frankly that road is nice enough now that a Toyota Camry or whatever could do it just fine, be more comfortable, and get better fuel economy. It is an incredible drive, and I am so glad that I took the time to drive this time, instead of simply flying up again.

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning: [Linked Image]

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

I hate finding bullets in bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Close range, wounded bear + multiple bullets and multiple guns = "life insurance" + many good stories told in the future. Nothing to regret there. Sounds like a smart investment to me!

I had the luxury of 50+ yards and a river between me and my bear. Hit him hard in the shoulder with my first shot (good old 175gr CoreLokt) and he turned and took off to where he'd come (across a small shallow slough from willows). I pulled my second shot over his back like you did out of excitement! Subconsciously kicked myself in the "arse" and put the 3rd one where it was supposed to go. The third was probably not needed as he died in the slough BUT I did not want him getting back to those willows! We crossed the river to him, dragged him up the bank and gutted him as it started to get dark. I later spent a very uncomfortable night in the spike tent several hundred yards away and across the river. Bear trails in the grass and salmon carcasses everywhere! No bear fences back then.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Close range, wounded bear + multiple bullets and multiple guns = "life insurance" + many good stories told in the future. Nothing to regret there. Sounds like a smart investment to me!

I had the luxury of 50+ yards and a river between me and my bear. Hit him hard in the shoulder with my first shot (good old 175gr CoreLokt) and he turned and took off to where he'd come (across a small shallow slough from willows). I pulled my second shot over his back like you did out of excitement! Subconsciously kicked myself in the "arse" and put the 3rd one where it was supposed to go. The third was probably not needed as he died in the slough BUT I did not want him getting back to those willows! We crossed the river to him, dragged him up the bank and gutted him as it started to get dark. I later spent a very uncomfortable night in the spike tent several hundred yards away and across the river. Bear trails in the grass and salmon carcasses everywhere! No bear fences back then.

Once listened all night to many bears arguing over the carcass of one of their own. By morning the only sign there had ever been a dead bear there was a little blood in the grass and mud.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been in on close to a dozen Brown bear and grizzly kills and I gotta say there's just something about those Brooke's range bears. Awesome story and pics.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful bear! Looks like you had a great trip, and most important, had a proper appreciation for the whole experience. Very well done!

Jeff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Friend of mine from New Mexico drove up two years in a row all the way to Pump Station 5 on the Dalton Hwy. This past summer he killed his Brooks range grizzly with his open sighted 300 H&H with Dave Leonard. I saw quite a few when working in Bettles.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Awesome trip!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But, what the heck.

Guy

I’ll never tire of looking at a bear like that. Beautiful Congrats to you and thank you for visiting the place we call home

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Win win win, wonderful! Thanks for sharing...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What a great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing those. Glad you are back on the fire.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That great second photo, to see that country ahead, you gotta know you're not just going from point A to point B, you are on a path and a journey your smartphone cannot hold.

Last edited by 5thShock; 02/03/19. Reason: spelling
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 5thShock
That great second photo, to see that country ahead, you gotta know you're not just going from point A to point B, you are on a path and a journey your smartpone cannot hold.

Thank you. That was taken on the "Top of the World Highway" in Yukon, as I was heading towards Dawson City. I thought it was one of the most impressive parts of the route.

Regards, Guy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning:

Regards, Guy

Hey Guy,
I have sent three 30 caliber deer rifles to Jesse Occumpaugh for a rebore: A 30-30 model 94 to 375 winchester. This thing surprised me. Close in, it will break out both shoulders of a brown bear and an instant drop with the 255 grain barnes original. Out to 175 yds, my son had an instant drop on a fat bull caribou.

A savage 99 308 rebored to 358. Near instant drops on two of my biggest bull moose using the 275 grain woodliegh.

A browining 1895 30-06 rebored to 41 O&M (off the 9.3 case), I've yet to use this 400 whelen-level scout rifle.

If ever you're feeling like a change, that won't nip at the heels of your 375 mag, try you ah $225 rebore to 338-06. From a long shot, to an up close shot, thing's ah mean/quick killer of the big animals. 250 grain paritition or a-frame will leave blood pouring out of both ends like a fountain:

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

I really like these affordable options. Many of us work ourselves half to death for slightly decent pay. Then, we're fed advertisements our whole lives in magazines and the tv.

With Jesse, he gives you a fair deal for the tightest of budgets. The deal being that you might have to clean the fouling a bit more than ah city slicker with a fancy match grade barrel at the shooting range. But in the bush, on bear and moose, you won't notice.

Funny thing about lotta these guys with high-end rifles. I never see these things posted on these forums with nary a scartch or ah rust spot. Must be magic, like in the gun magazines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning:

Regards, Guy

Hey Guy,
I have sent three 30 caliber deer rifles to Jesse Occumpaugh for a rebore: A 30-30 model 94 to 375 winchester. This thing surprised me. Close in, it will break out both shoulders of a brown bear and an instant drop with the 255 grain barnes original. Out to 175 yds, my son had an instant drop on a fat bull caribou.

A savage 99 308 rebored to 358. Near instant drops on two of my biggest bull moose using the 275 grain woodliegh.

A browining 1895 30-06 rebored to 41 O&M (off the 9.3 case), I've yet to use this 400 whelen-level scout rifle.

If ever you're feeling like a change, that won't nip at the heels of your 375 mag, try you ah $225 rebore to 338-06. From a long shot, to an up close shot, thing's ah mean/quick killer of the big animals. 250 grain paritition or a-frame will leave blood pouring out of both ends like a fountain:

http://www.35caliber.com/2.html

I really like these affordable options. Many of us work ourselves half to death for slightly decent pay. Then, we're fed advertisements our whole lives in magazines and the tv.

With Jesse, he gives you a fair deal for the tightest of budgets. The deal being that you might have to clean the fouling a bit more than ah city slicker with a fancy match grade barrel at the shooting range. But in the bush, on bear and moose, you won't notice.

Funny thing about lotta these guys with high-end rifles. I never see these things posted on these forums with nary a scartch or ah rust spot. Must be magic, like in the gun magazines.

I agree. I have quite a few rifles and aside from the rifle my dad gave me (model 7 in 308) the 338-06 is still my favorite all round do all for up here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have one Jesse rebored to 33806... I"ve not an issue with it yet...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.