Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by kingston

Quit whining and hunt if you want to hunt.

There it is. Bottom line.

Yeah but he's one to talk. He started this bitchfest.

I’m not complaining about not being able to hunt.

I’m arguing against a frivolous change that will profoundly impact our culture.

How this is lost on you is also profound, albeit somewhat less.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Just pointing out that KY's gun season is at the height of the rut and the KY bucks seem to be gittin'-r-dun.

Is there something different about PA bucks?

Don’t know about the bucks being different, but yes, hunter participation and hunting pressure is much different in PA. The 2017-18 deer harvest in PA was 367,000 deer (that’s more than the total number of licensed hunters in KY) while in KY it was 130,000 deer (with MUCH more liberal bag limits). As previously stated a firearms season during peak rut would decimate the PA buck population. Just ask a PA rifle hunter what impact they think bow season during the rut has on the overall buck population.

A buck must be alive to git-r-dun.

PA has double the deer population too, correct?

I think that’s probably right.

Further, I’d interested in seeing a comparison of hunter and deer densities between the states an provinces where whitetails are hunted, but none of this has a lick to do with moving the PA rifle season opener from the first Monday after Thanksgiving to the first Saturday after Thanksgiving.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The kids should be happy with a Saturday opening day. Schools should be open on the once Monday opener. LOL

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yes, we have strayed off topic, but for what it’s worth....

Stats are from Realtree Antler Nation website:

KY is the #7 least pressured deer hunting state in the nation with a ratio of 4.2 deer to 1 license.

PA is the #11 most pressured deer hunting state in the nation with a ratio of 1.6 deer to 1 license.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

KY is the #7 least pressured deer hunting state in the nation with a ratio of 4.2 deer to 1 license.

PA is the #11 most pressured deer hunting state in the nation with a ratio of 1.6 deer to 1 license.

Yeah, but 98% of that pressure is on the Monday after Thanksgiving and 50% of those with a license only hang around deer camp and cook, drink and play cards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They must not count poachers.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a solution looking for a problem. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of issues effecting deer hunting in PA, but this isn’t a solution to any of them.

A couple facts:
-There’s no hunting of game on Sundays in PA
-Rifle Season opens the Monday after Thanksgiving.
-There’s no school the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Opening Saturday to then close on Sunday and reopen on Monday is ludicrous.

This is a move by non-hunters to eliminate Monday as a school holiday, getting kids back to school so non-hunter parents don’t have to deal with them.

That’s the road map.

Bingo! I won’t allow guns in my house. My children don’t hunt. All kids should be in school learning why this is best for them. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
50% of those with a license only hang around deer camp and cook, drink and play cards.

And that’s deer camp!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
50% of those with a license only hang around deer camp and cook, drink and play cards.

And that’s deer camp!

No it isn't. Not the Deer Camps I've been a part of.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know if the PGC is presenting this as a "solution" to anything. But you'd be, in Bugs Bunny speak, a maroon, to think this is going to sell a significant number of extra licenses or get a bunch of younger people into hunting. Some yes, but not a enough to make a difference. Without Sunday hunting this move is strange. Give us both days on the weekend then it makes more sense. Maybe that's the next step but if so, how about we move it along while we're still young enough and able to walk in the woods.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They need to fix the Sunday hunting issue before they worry about anything else. Most people, kids and adults alike only have weekends to hunt. Restricting them to only being able to hunt 50% of their free time is just not smart.

Last edited by jdunham; 02/01/19.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree on the Sunday's. I grew up hunting Pa. and Ohio and never even knew hunting on Sunday was legal elsewhere until I moved to Minnesota. My understanding is it's the farmers that hold this up, as they want a day of no hunting to get stuff done.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I agree on the Sunday's. I grew up hunting Pa. and Ohio and never even knew hunting on Sunday was legal elsewhere until I moved to Minnesota. My understanding is it's the farmers that hold this up, as they want a day of no hunting to get stuff done.

I always figured it was because of all of the Mennonites and Amish in PA and also probably goes all the way back to when everybody went to church. That's what I figured it was around here. Fortunately, we're allowed to hunt on Sundays now.

I just talked to a couple of different guys that I deal with up in NE PA. Those guys don't go to deer camp, they just drive up the road a few miles to where they have permission on private land. They think the Saturday thing is great, but they wish it was open on Sundays too.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/01/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
At least I will be able to hunt with my sons again. They always have to work on that Monday. The number of guys that want off for that day and can't get it is ridiculous. Our deer camp will explode if this actually gets passed in April.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ken_L
At least I will be able to hunt with my sons again. They always have to work on that Monday. The number of guys that want off for that day and can't get it is ridiculous. Our deer camp will explode if this actually gets passed in April.

Doesn't anyone get vacation pay in PA?

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yes, there is vacation pay, but some small businesses would not be able to open if everyone who wanted to hunt took the first day off. First day of buck off is frequently granted on a seniority basis (believe the language spelling this out is even in some labor contracts) and the request for the day off is often put in a year in advance.

As Ken L said some people have to work on that Monday.

Hunter S. Thompson
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K

Not when you work at places with a bunch of guys that want to hunt and they are all asking for the same day off. They all have vacation time but it goes by seniority and they only let a few people off. I know three very large employers that practice this in PA because my two sons each work at one of them and my brother in law works at another.

I also know a number of college guys that will be happy to see this happen since none of them get the first Monday of deer either.

The only people I see complaining are the ones that don't want more people in the woods.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

And that’s deer camp!

Same here. Sure, a little tomfoolery those couple of days before the Monday opener, but after that no way. In fact in the camp I was a member of for many years we had a rule of no drinking from Sunday night on and nobody bitched about it, not even the carousers. (Besides, once the season started we were always too tired at the end of the day to even crawl into our bunks let alone lift a pound of beer! Those rugged mountains force you to make your own luck- no walking to a tree house where you sit on your butt all day! grin )

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

And that’s deer camp!

You've got a 2 hour drive home at the end of the day, that doesn't sound like much of a camp.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.