Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wheels of change turn slowly indeed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I wonder if those who have voiced their opinion here have voiced it to the Game Commission?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I intend to give the PGC my opinion on changing opening day. Also to give them an earful about wimping out on the semi-autos.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
#1 is money
#2 is money
#3 is money
Deer herd is coming back in my area.....but they want to put corn out and shoot them at night with silenced guns?

WTF

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mother Nature will do her thing ...........quit trying to change what you can`t control!

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
that nobody needs to be disadvantaged by a Saturday opener because participation will not be mandatory. All the guys who want their first day to be Monday will still be allowed to stay on that schedule.

Opening day has so much more activity and a higher success rate than other days, a person would drastically reduce their chance of success by not hunting on the opening day. When you say 'all the guys who want their first day to be Monday', you're being disingenuous. It might be that person's 'first day' but it would be the season's SECOND day. With far fewer hunters in the woods, less deer in the woods, and a lower success rate.

I just don't see a huge pool of folks out there saying 'Gee I would take up this great sport of hunting if I was able to shoot deer on the Saturday after Thanksgiving'. IMO, this proposed change has way too much downside and not enough potential upside.

Dale

This space for rent

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Change for the sake of change is useless. With all these people spouting about more opportunity, why not start it Thanksgiving Day? It is a holiday so most working people are off, kids are out of school, everyone can be out in the woods. If the working folks take a vacation day on Friday they get to hunt the first 3 days of rifle. Don't get me wrong, I am not totally resistant to change but Dale K is right, people are not sitting at home saying "If they only started rifle season on the Saturday after Thanksgiving I would start hunting." A Monday opener affects some while a Saturday opener affect others and not everyone can be pleased all the time. If you really want to hunt you have to make the best of the time you have. Rant Over!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it would pass and that is a huge if more hunters = more deer kill . We are told by the PGC herd is where they want in in most wmu. So read between the lines . #1 like the majority of other states that have a Sat. opener buck tags will eventually go to a lottery. #2 No lottery then a reduction of days somewhere else to sustain the current deer population.
Hunters are easy to dupe the PGC knows that from past experience. Bear in mind 85% of the board are democrats appointed by a sitting democrat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
If it would pass and that is a huge if more hunters = more deer kill . We are told by the PGC herd is where they want in in most wmu. So read between the lines . #1 like the majority of other states that have a Sat. opener buck tags will eventually go to a lottery. #2 No lottery then a reduction of days somewhere else to sustain the current deer population.
Hunters are easy to dupe the PGC knows that from past experience. Bear in mind 85% of the board are democrats appointed by a sitting democrat.

That's really unrealistic. We're losing hunters at an alarming rate and soon will have trouble killing enough deer. The PGC estimated 550,000 hunters were afield for opening day of Rifle this past year. That is half what it was when I started hunting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Where is my tinfoil hat when I need it! Damn it!

The real problem in this state, is that you have so many backwards a$$ people resistant to change. The PGC should just do it like they did with crossbows and tell all the people so resistant to change to just deal with it.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even a backward a$$ knows deer are managed by science for the health of the herd NOT FOR HUNTERS WE MERELY ARE THE MANAGEMENT TOOL. The kill is going to go up with a Saturday opener without doubt...remember the reason for the opening date change is to get MORE HUNTERS IN THE WOODS more hunters=more kills! More kills leads to shorter seasons.DUH HOW BUTT AZZ STUPID DO YOU NEED TO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT????????????????????

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Even a backward a$$ knows deer are managed by science for the health of the herd NOT FOR HUNTERS WE MERELY ARE THE MANAGEMENT TOOL. The kill is going to go up with a Saturday opener without doubt...remember the reason for the opening date change is to get MORE HUNTERS IN THE WOODS more hunters=more kills! More kills leads to shorter seasons.DUH HOW BUTT AZZ STUPID DO YOU NEED TO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT????????????????????

Go back and read moosemikes last post he is correct. The PGC deer harvest estimates are based on much higher license sales. The science doesn't work if you are that far off. Most arguments for the Saturday opener and semi's not to mention Sunday hunting are based on emotion by the backwards hunters of this state and not science.

Look at all the other states that do it with no issues.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am retired matters little to me what day it opens. Matter of fact I have my properties posted so every day is opening day.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by yobuck
I started hunting in PA in 1947, which made last season my 72 nd.
In 1947 and into the early 50s there were "antler restrictions", requiring at least one antler to have a fork or put another way a Y on at least one side regardless of antler length. It was later changed to the 3" spike length to pacify hunters.
It took at least 8/9 hours assuming good weather/roads to drive the roughly 250 miles from where I lived in lower bucks co. to Cameron co. That because it was all 2 lane roads that took you right thru every town along the way. But the roads were also cluttered with cars containing other hunters, and when you arrived in places like Sinnemahoning, it was booming with hunters.
GET THIS, last fall on opening morning of buck season, there was just one lone hunter having breakfast in the dining room at the Slate Run Hotel, and that was a good friend of mine. Fact is that today, many of the nice old camps don't even open for deer season at all. Also today that same trip I mentioned can take less than 5 hours, and yet very few go.
There are far more bear and nicer bucks than ever, not to even mention the abundant turkey population, but fewer hunters hunting them.
There has never in my long lifetime been a better time for getting a trophy buck than there is today. The only thing lacking is the type hunters it requires to take one. Does it sound as though im touting on the good old days here?
Driving to camp on Friday after work, and driving back home on Sunday afternoon with a deer, especially a buck, really never would work well regardless of which days we might be permitted to hunt, or what day the season opens, or what type rifle you can shoot it with.
What will you be wanting next sonny, home delivery?

As for the PGC, im not a fan of government in any form, but even a semi independently run game department is far better than one controlled by the legislature and a governor completely. There is nothing the DCNR would like better than to be in "complete" control the game commission, same as they are over "our" public land.

And there that is! Really all I can do at this point is laugh. I often drive 2 hours to my hunting spot and then 2 hours home at the end of the day.

You are correct about the laughing, As for the driving, life has always been about choices. Which is a large part of this discussion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They changed our season opener from Monday to Saturday several years ago right next door to you in New York and our season hasn't been shortened, in fact it's longer by two days. They also let us hunt on Sundays with a semi automatic and still we have deer and our seasons haven't been shortened.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I own a camp and property in Potter county, once billed the deer hunting capital of the east, I own it since 1955. IMO the lamest excuse against a Saturday opener is "camp tradition". Sport hunting is about game management an the PGC is doing a pizz poor job of that.
For the record it was 1963 when the opener was changed to the Monday after TG. Instead of all these different deer seasons maybe they should open deer season in October and close it in mid December an let you use any legal weapon. Still can not kill more than 1 buck and doe per doe tag (s).
Want good deer numbers again then demand a cut in anterless tags....nothing will change until that changes. Bring back numbers and hunters will accept any date as the "new tradition".

If you check, you will find the opening day was on a Monday long before that. Although I cant say for sure it was the one following thanksgiving. It might well have been the one closest to Dec. first.
As for the "hunters", there will be a long line waiting in the rain to buy the last tag for the last one.
Because if they don't, then as the saying always goes "somebody else will". And that is the story of Potter Co and other areas as well, somebody else did.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ken_L
...The PGC deer harvest estimates are based on much higher license sales. The science doesn't work if you are that far off. Most arguments for the Saturday opener and semi's not to mention Sunday hunting are based on emotion by the backwards hunters of this state and not science.

Look at all the other states that do it with no issues.

The argument you’re making is your own and is an interesting one.

Although not new, increasingly, the sentiment among PA deer hunters has been there are fewer and fewer deer. The post you cited from 1bigdude and his response, copied immediately below outlines an example of this.

I am retired matters little to me what day it opens. Matter of fact I have my properties posted so every day is opening day.

1bigdude’s presents a position underpinned by the notion of resource scarcity. His solution is posted private land. I’m not arguing for or against posting, I’m merely looking at trends.

Ken, if I read you correctly, your argument is about having the right data. Toward that end, I’ve never seen fewer hunters during rifle season than I saw this past year and I hunted nine days of it. I’ve also never seen success rates as low as they’ve been the last five years.

As a point of disclosure, my first hand experience is limited to a single WMU, but I talk to hunters from all over the Commonwealth. As would be imagined, experiences vary widely from place to place and year to year. Pennsylvania is a huge state and thus host to myriad combinations of habitat, climate, agricultural and forestry activity, development activity and economics. There are lots of pieces in play.

Changing policies with statewide impact is to move the biggest and most precious pieces on the board. In an atmosphere boiling with eroding confidence in the science informing game management strategies, a diminished faith in the politics of the Commission’s administration, and a persistent wariness over resource scarcity—moving the big pieces should be done with caution.

Most profoundly, we’re living through a transformation unrivaled by anything but possibly the second industrial revolution. We’re living during the richest era in human history. Information technology and a massive human population deliver staggering economies of scale.

The same technology pumping out wealth and efficiency has accelerated communication to a barrage. All that fast talking becomes an endless stream of feedback spawning a science of influence beyond the imagination of any science fiction. Traditions and customs shaping our identities are what’s at stake.

Chage is coming, guaranteed.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They changed our season opener from Monday to Saturday several years ago right next door to you in New York and our season hasn't been shortened, in fact it's longer by two days. They also let us hunt on Sundays with a semi automatic and still we have deer and our seasons haven't been shortened.

Looking to NYS for legislative models informing policy affecting hunting, gun ownership, and our outdoor traditions is a hard sell.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Change has been coming ever since I started hunting in 1948. I watched as the PGC was defended by blows if another even suggested they were not the stellar game org of the time, to what they have become today IMO a bunch of inept boobs whom can not manage a good crap let alone Pa's wildlife.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was meaning in the existential sense. As in, change is the only constant.

Carry on. Grin.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 11 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.