Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
.....Waylon and Willie and the Boys."?

Everyone under 30 apparently, or maybe 40 I dunno.

Raced daylight to get up there after the Alamo yesterday. There I was with one of my very favorite Millenials.....

[Linked Image]

All the Military and former Military guys at the Alamo and at Luckenbach were sharing the secret Military handshake with him.

One of them says to me, "You must be proud of your son." I said he might be my brother's kid we're not sure.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to hang out there back when it really was a special place. Some really great pickers showed up there on weekends.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice, BW! smile

I know Becky Patterson that owned Luckenbach with her mother Shatzie, after Hondo Crouch passed away.

I believe Becky's son and his family owns it now. Or did the last I heard.

Becky still lives on Stieler ranch in Comfort that was given to them by Charles Schreiner Sr.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the '80's we used to leave the bar at College Station late and ride to Enchanted Rock to watch the sunrise, was like negotiating a minefield all them Hill Country whitetails. Getting up E. Rock in the pitch dark weren't hard, all you had to do was walk uphill, can't miss the top.

After that we would ride into F. Burg for breakfast, and then go park our bikes amid the crowd of parked motorcycles at Luckenbach, admire them for awhile and then fall asleep in the shade. Luckenbach back then was about the best place on the planet to drink a beer on a Sunday afternoon. Agree 100% back then about the musical talent sitting out back.

One time I brung along pretty young coed from A&M and she just couldn't get over how NICE all them crusty ol' bikers treated her at Luckenbach, buying her drinks at the bar and everything. On the way back she threw up inside my borrowed helmet and passed out on a twisty backroad when we were doing about 80 grin She had her arms wrapped tight around my waist at the time and I pinned 'em against my body with the arm that weren't working the throttle. Musta been my guardian angel tho that kept her feet on the pegs until I got us off the road and stopped.

Oh Lord those were the days grin My own Luckenbach period was about '87-'92, got so I could ride there blindfolded, perhaps we might have crossed paths.

Nowadays Luckenbach is mostly buried in upscale SUV's and lesbian weddings. I will say Saturday night last night was a pleasant surprise. Only about fifty or sixty people and a good country band playing in the dance hall, shutters open so you could hear 'em outside. The food kiosk/hut whatever STILL doesn't gouge on prices, a pretty good pulled pork or barbeque sandwich for only $6.95.

Quite a few non-Lesbian looking women showing up too. We rolled out early, something about him having to be back on base, but when I get back on two wheels again, Luckenbach might just become a reg'lar stop.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Austin crowd has messed up a buncha stuff!

Gruene Hall, the Broken Spoke...

Damn them anyway.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple years both sides of 1980 captures the period when I was likely to be there. It’s a four hour drive from here but was worth it back then. Kimbo was a hell of a young musician that excelled on anything with strings. He occasionally got session work in Austin but was not dependable enough to hold down a job in a band. I expect the dope got him just as it did so many of that crowd.

A pretty good picker that I knew better than I knew the others was named David...? He hung homself in the Kerrville Jail the night before he was supposed to testify against some of the others in the crowd for dope dealing.

The Dance Hall was only opened on special occasions back then. No electrified,amplified instruments allowed.....only acoustic and only out under the trees. One really long jam session.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Indeed they have.

Anyhoo.... for those that was wondering here recently how tall I am, that particular nephew’s claim to fame back in New York was being the only White kid on the Varsity basketball team, he can throw elbows with the best of ‘em cool

I’m his favorite uncle, kinda nice to have that kind of muscle backing me up grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hated that frigging song. You know the one. Apparently Waylon did as well.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A while back we went on an axis deer hunt on a ranch in the area with a little bit of history.
Is was off of Luckenbach road. Come to find out the ranch's one time owner was one of the founders of Luckenbach.
Our guide was his grandson, Luke Luckenbach.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Was there in ‘73 for the first Luckenbach worlds fair. Had a cannon shoot! Amazingly no one was killed!!! Considering the amount of booze and drugs floating around! I was on crew of 3" Ordinance rifle.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Was there in ‘73 for the first Luckenbach worlds fair. Had a cannon shoot! Amazingly no one was killed!!! Considering the amount of booze and drugs floating around! I was on crew of 3" Ordinance rifle.

So, Bob, you must have met Hondo Crouch. He had just died when I started going down there after being tipped off about the place by a sweet young thing I met in Kerrville.His poem, “Luekenbach Moon “ ...with him reciting it, was on a cassette or eight track I had at one time. Might have been a JJW album. I read some of the columns he wrote as .......cedarhacker.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Everyone knows Luckenbach

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was there in 81 for the "fourth sometimes annual worlds fair" had a great time and woke up with a scorpion in my boot !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

So, Bob, you must have met Hondo Crouch. He had just died when I started going down there after being tipped off about the place by a sweet young thing I met in Kerrville.His poem, “Luekenbach Moon “ ...with him reciting it, was on a cassette or eight track I had at one time. Might have been a JJW album. I read some of the columns he wrote as .......cedarhacker.

THE LUCKENBACH MOON
Hondo Crouch

Nuthin' much happened in Luckenbach this month,

'Cept the potato chip man came by.

Then there was the moon.

We try to tell folks who come by here to look at our town

What a big, mean moon we have

But nobody'll believe it.

And last night it showed off.

The greatest ever.

It just hung there, darin' you to look at it,

Makin' silhouettes into things and things came alive.

It even shined plumb to the bottom of the canyon,

Under bluffs and plopped dark doughnuts 'round the bottom of
trees on top of the mountain.

A kind of moon that makes haunted houses uglier

And ugly girls prettier.

And little animals see farther and feel closer together.

Brave weeds even rose up to look 'round for lawn mowers.

Grandpa sat up in bed and said, "What's that?"

And the hair on Grandma's legs stood on end, he said.

On moonbrite nites like this, big eyed deer

Tiptoe into larger openings and they can dance better 'cause they can see where the rocks are at.

Their prancin' gets fancier and freer because they know mans
not there to darnpen the dance.

This kind of moonshine makes you crazy if you sleep in it,

they say

But I think you're crazy not to try it.

Momma even slept with the baby to protect it and I

Flounced in bed even in a thick rock house.

And when I went outside to see what was the matter

Somethin' scared cold chills up my back.

Everything was standin' at attention over new shadows.

Then what was that that moved?

Probably just a Nuthin'.

You know, a big full moon like ours is kinda like a person:

It needs help to show off, and last nite

All the clouds stayed home on purpose

to create a great solo.

We can't stand an encore!

It takes too much out of you.

Those who saw the moon said they could smell it.

One said it tasted like sin.

The quietness at the parkside road was deafenin'

And the little single couple sittin' there touched

the backs of their hands together.

` `Scare Me ! ' '

We've been tellin' strangers who come to Luckenbach

`Bout our Moon,

But I know they won't believe that

We have such a big moon

For such a small town.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Curdog,

Yup he was there. As was Willie et al. In actuality Being a teenager then, I was really more enamored with the scantly clad bevy of all manner of females that were present. Literally 1000’s. Quite a show. Much like Woodstock, but cut offs, boots, halter tops and cowboy hats along with the tie-dyed crowd.

Loose halter tops!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Judge came out one Sunday morning with a couple who wanted to get married. He commandeered everybody with a guitar to come in the store to play the Wedding March. The Lead guitar picker in the bunch I was hanging with sort of bowed up until the Judge reminded him of a hot check he had in his desk for a probation fee.

The Picker had the last laugh, though since as soon as the Judge pronounced them married, he cut loose on that Jimmy Buffet song...” Why don’t we get drunk and screw”.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard of Luckenbach, but never been there. If that freak wille nelson is gonna be there, I'm positive, I wont be.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Willie had never been there prior to the song.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Willie had never been there prior to the song.

He's much too good for Luckenbach now...

Too busy campaigning for Beto.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pass by quite often when I'm heading to Boerne or the surrounding areas. Never stopped as it just never interested me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,159
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.