Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Schit. Dillon aint hardly Montana.

Soft asses live in Dillon. Thats easy country.

Cept for last year.........I guess it was really a bitch.

I am MAGA.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by irfubar
Whatever you do don't move near callnum

He would be happier in Jersey.

They should swap.

Y'all need to have a Campfire Gathering in Montana and personally invite him.. wink

I dont have his address...but we could put up fliers at the YMCA advertising needles and safe injection sites.

Be sure to smoke him out that way.

One thing for sure if we met at Jimmy’s place we would eat well. I’ve seen his pics.

You'd likely be eating apple sauce...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I'm tryin' not to get anybody kilt. I could have sent him to Wisdom, if I wanted to do that. grin

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CWT

You sound like the typical Yankee. Why don't you just stay where you are and save the rest of us from the trouble of your presence?

You don't even know where you live apparently.

Hint.

It's not in Montana...

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by CWT

You sound like the typical Yankee. Why don't you just stay where you are and save the rest of us from the trouble of your presence?

Hint.

It's not in Montana...

Ya! Schit them guys are practical neighbors!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CWT

Hint.

It's not in Montana...

Ya! Schit them guys are practical neighbors!

NC.......MT...

Well, Schit they're all letters of the alphabet. Must be neighbors just down the road!

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sycamore

I'm tryin' not to get anybody kilt. I could have sent him to Wisdom, if I wanted to do that. grin

Cooke City might be to his liking - it's kinda remote.

Dale

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Kentucky is everything you desire.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DHN
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Cooke City might be to his liking - it's kinda remote.

Sounds good.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
First off I am assuming your $300K is to buy property and build with, not what you have total. If it is in fact $300K for property and building you are way over funded unless you plan to build something extravagant. Not a bad thing to be over funded.

As Brad said rural property is a lot easier to buy than sell.

Second In the mountains or tree's means plowing snow on a regular basis, or snowmobile. Could also mean off the grid, which firewood is going to be necessary.

As others have said already medical attention isn't going to be near by. Nor are well stocked stores. So when you drive however far and long to get into town and you forget something guess what? Yup it's a long ways/time back.

Have you considered also the implications of forest fires?

There are some small towns that compared to where you are from will feel very remote. These towns may scratch your itch rather then up in the mountains.

I would suggest like everyone else has to come spend time here first. I think your opinion of that you want now and what you want after being here at least one whole year will change.

$300k is my all in budget. I want a small cabin not a giant log home. 1000sqft max with a shop for projects and fixing stuff. Pulling power from the road is convenient but I’d do solar if required. That’s a big chunk of budget. I definitely want a well. One benefit of the state is they have a searchable map to see how deep the wells are. Digging a dry hole and not getting to water eats up a bunch of budget so I’d like to avoid that. Forest fires have been in the back of my mind but I didn’t want too many variables to begin with or I’ll never get started. Once I get zeroed in on general areas, I can spend some time out there driving and looking. If I find something suitable, I’d like to rent for a year or so an experience the place before I buy anything. I’m retired and don’t NEED a job. I worked since I was 10 and it sounds like snow removal and firewood will keep me plenty busy. I don’t have kids so good schools don’t matter.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by hunter4623
First off I am assuming your $300K is to buy property and build with, not what you have total. If it is in fact $300K for property and building you are way over funded unless you plan to build something extravagant. Not a bad thing to be over funded.

Second In the mountains or tree's means plowing snow on a regular basis, or snowmobile. Could also mean off the grid, which firewood is going to be necessary.

As others have said already medical attention isn't going to be near by. Nor are well stocked stores. So when you drive however far and long to get into town and you forget something guess what? Yup it's a long ways/time back.

There are some small towns that compared to where you are from will feel very remote. These towns may scratch your itch rather then up in the mountains.

I would suggest like everyone else has to come spend time here first. I think your opinion of that you want now and what you want after being here at least one whole year will change.

$300k is my all in budget. I want a small cabin not a giant log home. 1000sqft max with a shop for projects and fixing stuff. Pulling power from the road is convenient but I’d do solar if required. That’s a big chunk of budget. I definitely want a well. One benefit of the state is they have a searchable map to see how deep the wells are. Digging a dry hole and not getting to water eats up a bunch of budget so I’d like to avoid that. Forest fires have been in the back of my mind but I didn’t want too many variables to begin with or I’ll never get started. Once I get zeroed in on general areas, I can spend some time out there driving and looking. If I find something suitable, I’d like to rent for a year or so an experience the place before I buy anything. I’m retired and don’t NEED a job. I worked since I was 10 and it sounds like snow removal and firewood will keep me plenty busy. I don’t have kids so good schools don’t matter.

There has been a ton of advice here and even some of it good. It sounds like you have your mind set on a remote “off the grid” kind of place.

Go for it, but remember when you are ass deep in snow and the sun isn’t shining on your solar panels, you have influenza and can’t get out of bed to start a fire, this is the spot you picked to die...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go for it, but remember when you are ass deep in snow and the sun isn’t shining on your solar panels, you have influenza and can’t get out of bed to start a fire, this is the spot you picked to die...

Which by far would be better than anywhere in New Jersey..........

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like your cabin Norm.......

Here is mine

It is on grid and in a kinda liberal free zone, so no pretty people....

[Linked Image]

That is a sweet setup, ifubar! Love it!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tennessee has everything you need.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have had few close calls with forest fires near my log home in the mountains over the years. Thank god the wind shifted. Can be quite nerve racking

My generator schit the bed a few weeks ago. Not fun getting a 250 lbs generator in a full size pick up to take to town for repair.

Lots of heavy lifting, pulling carrying. Fixing equipment outside in sub zero temps. Your old body handle this?

Have to be able to get along with neighbors even if you don’t like them. You don’t want to alienate anyone and think you’ll be fine on your own. Your life could depend on this if live remote. Always volunteer to help
Locals with work, fund raising , community activities etc

Just because you find well water doesn’t mean it’s any good for drinking etc

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by hunter4623

There has been a ton of advice here and even some of it good. It sounds like you have your mind set on a remote “off the grid” kind of place.

Last edited by ribka; 02/15/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here is mine

[Linked Image]

That is a sweet setup, ifubar! Love it!

Thanks for the compliments guys, I built this cabin myself and it is connected to the grid and did it within the budget the O.P. proposed. It sits in the middle of my 8 acre lot about 25 miles from town.
Feels much more remote than it is. Cant see a neighbors house and never will. I have a handgun range in the back, a lake within 1/4 mile and endless back country within a mile.
I have had moose, elk , bear, deer of course, and Mt. lion in the yard. It was a ton of work and not without risk but it is doable.......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some experience making a move from Oregon to New Mexico. I bought 5 acres up in the highlands near a small town called Moriarty. I commuted about 60 miles each day round trip to work in Albuquerque. Summer and fall temps and weather patterns were different than the PNW. You could go from sun and shirtsleeves in December one day then the next day wake to 4’ft of snow. I’ve had 6’ft tall snow drifts all around my house for weeks or longer.

Being I was somewhat remote. Good grocery shopping was 30 miles away. I absolutely loved living up on the plains. Awesome weather patterns with lightning and thunder in the summers that made a guy think the world was splitting apart. Varmint hunting was spectacular having access to much of the Kings Ranch properties. I killed a lot of yotes that winter.

My wife on the other hand totally hated living there. She was used to cities, paved roads and the bustle of people. We lasted a year, then one morning she got up to go to work-She was an RN Cancer Nurse and as she was heading out the front door, she stopped, called to me and when I met her at the door she said to me...”I hate this place”.....”I hate my job”....”And I fuucken hate you”...She said she was gonna move back to Portland, I could go or stay she didn’t care...Funny thing, it was her idea to move in the first place. I wanted to move to Arizona. She thought it wasn’t rustic enough...

We moved back to Portland and divorced 2 years later....I made a lot good friends hunting in New Mexico. I know I can handle the extreme weather changes. I guess living on the Oregon Coast can toughen a guy up to many months of Schitty weather...

If you are considering a move to a geographical area that will show you weather and animals you aren’t accustomed to experiencing. Make sure you’re able to just roll with whatever happens and you have a spouse who can as well. Otherwise it’s just a long trip packing up and heading back to where you came from..😎.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fubar....I would definitely want to be your neighbor. I would love you to try and hate me being from Oregon. Bet you wouldn’t after we had too many beers, solved the worlds problems and explored each other gun wares. I don’t have a boat....But you do. Grin 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Fubar....I would definitely want to be your neighbor. I would love you to try and hate me being from Oregon. Bet you wouldn’t after we had too many beers, solved the worlds problems and explored each other gun wares. I don’t have a boat....But you do. Grin 😎

Beav, for an Orgonian you are a good dude and would be welcome at my camp anytime. As far as the beer and boat ya got that covered......

my new toy.... smile

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Here is mine

[Linked Image]

No pretty people. LMAO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 49 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.