Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
For all of you in Texas that I've seen around here, what are your thoughts on the GLO's plan to relocate the Alamo Cenotaph outside of the footprint of the Alamo? This came up a little before the election back in November and the general consensus was a general dislike (or more) of GLO commissioner Bush and the Re-Imagine the Alamo plan.

I ask because yesterday Rep. Biederman of Fredericksburg filed HB1836 (number specifically chosen to commemorate the Alamo) which would remove control of the Cenotaph from the City of San Antonio and put it in the auspices of the GLO. Any future changes would have to be unanimously approved by the Gov, Lt. Gov, Speaker of the House, and the GLO Commissioner (crap) BUT the Cenotaph would be permanently blocked from being removed from the grounds of the Alamo.

I'm curious as to what everyone's thought are and if you would support HB1836. If so, and you would like to write a short letter of support for the legislation (think of writing your congressman) let me know as I will be going to the capitol building in the next few weeks to have meetings with representatives (and senators) to try to garner support for the bill. I would be happy to (and would like to) be able to bring letters of support give to these people in person. If we stand a chance of getting this passed, we must have a strong show of support for it.

http://newstalk1290.com/time-is-running-out-to-save-the-alamo-cenotaph/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where it would be moved to is in front of the Menger hotel, IIRC about thirty yards in front (south) of the original front gate, the aim being to open up more of the original open Alamo footprint. I personally have no problem with that, it is believed that many defenders died outside the walls on the east side. I know this cenotaph was put up in 1936 but that doesn’t seem that long ago to me.

In any case it is gonna be disassembled and refurbished. The original internal iron frame is reportedly corroded and some inaccuracies in the list of defenders could be corrected, as well as the names of the Tejano defenders being made the same size as the rest.

I am more excited about seeing what lies underneath it and the rest of the original mission footprint, this never having being subject to a thorough archeological investigation. Most of it has never been looked at.

JMHO.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If George P. Bush is involved....it's BULLSCHITT. He wants to turn the Alamo into some kind of neutral world heritage site that gives equal time to Mexico's claim to Texas....look for George Soros' money behind that schitt.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nobody but TEXANs should be allowed to touch it or any part of the Alamo. It should never be under anyone else control.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pardon me but whomever allowed the City of San Antonio to disgrace THE ALAMO by letting all of the commercial interest to inundate the area around said sacred site.....those should be hung from the tallest cottonwood trees alongside the Rio Grande!!

And while you're at it.....get big-eared LBJ also!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Nobody but qualified, non political TEXANs should be allowed to touch it or any part of the Alamo. It should never be under anyone else control.

Fixt.

The GD politics always is a massive threat to truth and history.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.