Print Thread
Hop To
T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have a couple of these scopes and for 200.00 They are pretty Darn good !
But today I learned something about one of mine. i was Shooting a .257 Roberts at 100 yard range, I had switched from 115 to 100 grain bullets. My 1st shot was about 8 inches high.
Scope is clearly marked 1/4 MOA Clicks, 4x8 is 32, so 32 clicks down should put me on target, so i click of 32. Next shot a 8 inches to low ! Do the math in my head again, i should be on target ? So i next do the obvious thing and click up 16. 3rd Shot right where i wanted it. My VX freedom 3X9 has Half inch Clicks.
Its Not a huge problem but it clearly says 1/4 MOA and Clearly 1/2 MOA clicks ! I think i will call Leupold in the morning.
...tj3006

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Please update this thread with what you get from Leupold. I was on the fence on a scope for a 35 Whelen that I will only hunt with 1-2 weekends out of the season and didn't want to spend a fortune so I settled on a Leupold VX-Freedom. Just mounted it last night. I used to be a huge Leupold fan until about 10 years ago when I purchased a VXL that I had a problems with. This is the first Leupold I have mounted on a gun I own since then. Couldn't pass it up for the price.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm thinking it's an entry level Leupold, but what the hell! Any Leupold is quality. You can have problems with a Rolls Royce that you pay half a million for. Nothing is exempt from problems. But I believe Leupolds are less likely to have them. They have great QC and their warranty is the best. I'd say you did good. I have 3 VX-1s and they are better than some scopes Top of the Line products. I currently have one older VX3L 4.5-14X56 and 4 of the newest, latest and Greatest VX-3i 3.5-10X40s that are all very bright and clear. I don't think you can do better for near the money than Leupold.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have several brands of scopes swarovski,leopolds,zeiss,meopta and probably a few more and i have yet to have one track a true .25 for every click of adjustment

IC B2

T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
To busy to call today , Work is going off the rails !!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gene270
i have several brands of scopes swarovski,leopolds,zeiss,meopta and probably a few more and i have yet to have one track a true .25 for every click of adjustment

A lot of Swarovski and Zeiss scope are 1/3 MOA per click. I believe my Conquest DL’s are and I haven’t had any issues with them tracking.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

+1 I don't have any Swaro's but this is typical of most of the scopes I own or have owned. It has never been a problem for me.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've also had several scopes from different manufacturers that didn't hold true to the 1/4 inch adjustments.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

A lot of Swarovski and Zeiss scope are 1/3 MOA per click. I believe my Conquest DL’s are and I haven’t had any issues with them tracking.

I suspect they're actually 0.1 milliradians per click.

IC B3

T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Called Leopold today while i was at work.
The Tech the most likely answer is that the wrong Turret got installed, he said bring it in and they would fix it no questions asked., Me to get the s# and product code of the box so he could keep track and see if there is a problem with a group or just mine ! ..can't ask for more than that !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless of what the turrets say, what is the scope advertised as having?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tj3006
The Tech the most likely answer is that the wrong Turret got installed, he said bring it in and they would fix it no questions asked., Me to get the s# and product code of the box so he could keep track and see if there is a problem with a group or just mine ! ..can't ask for more than that !

Actually, they could have taken enough time not to have futzed it up in the first place. What about YOUR time and trouble, not to mention the ammo you've wasted, gas to the range etc?

I've not been super critical of Leupold since their issues started, but this just sucks all around. It would take more than a free hat to cool me off after this.

At least you don't have to send it back to China; you may find some comfort in that.🤷‍♂️

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by tj3006

Actually, they could have taken enough time not to have futzed it up in the first place. What about YOUR time and trouble, not to mention the ammo you've wasted, gas to the range etc?

I've not been super critical of Leupold since their issues started, but this just sucks all around. It would take more than a free hat to cool me off after this.

At least you don't have to send it back to China; you may find some comfort in that.🤷‍♂️

Everything man made can be flawed.Why do people always have to benefit from a mistake?
Leupold is doing exactly what they need to do.Stand behind their product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with the first part, and one could, I suppose, choose to factor in the lack of QC in the bargain price, however he should be compensated in some way for his time, trouble, and shipping costs for a new item that wasn't up to snuff; at the minimum they should dispatch the carrier to pick up the scope and cover the shipping.

I bought a New Bearcat that was out of time and failed to lock up properly. Had to fuss a bit, but they did cover the shipping both ways for the two trips back to Newport. That still left me holding the bag on about three hours on the road to the UPS hub, but overall, it was acceptable.

Perhaps they'll send him a Nightforce hat for his trouble.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What's the big deal here anyway? Because it's a Leupold everyone freaks out about it? As Gene pointed out yesterday, most scopes are not dead on in regards to their adjustments. I never gave it a second thought as long as I could get the scope sighted in.

I gave my son a 3-9 Conquest that I had in my safe last fall for his Tikka. We took it to the range and had a hell of a time getting it sighted in. I forgot that the adjustments are ass backwards and he got it shooting off the paper before he came over and told me about it. We cranked it back down about 30 clicks and made a quick calculation to get to zero but it was a couple inches low and left. It should've been dead on but it took 3 or 4 more shots to get it zeroed 1/2" high.

I guess I should've come on here the next day and bitched about it but I've seen the same thing many times whether it's Zeiss, Leupold, Burris or whatever. I'm more concerned with holding zero and a generous eye box that allows you get on target quickly than a minor inconsistency in tracking.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill_N
As Gene pointed out yesterday, most scopes are not dead on in regards to their adjustments. I never gave it a second thought as long as I could get the scope sighted in.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. The Leupold Shuffle applies to other brands as well but it is indeed aptly named.
I continue to be a Leupold fan (once settled in) but can say that it took personal experience with SS, NF & S&B to understand that 1" can actually mean four clicks (or metric equiv / click) @ 100. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.