Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Last two years I've been cutting expenses to the bone paying off debt.

I could consolidate the rest at a much lower interest rate. Keep on living as I am, and get out of debt months earlier.

I expect my currently excellent credit rating might take a hit in the short term, but I ain't gonna make any purchases until I'm clear anyhow.

OK, whats the downside?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are making money somehow...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dave Ramsey can help, Birdie.

I’ve never heard of any benefits from a consolidation loan. Never.

Maybe others here who maybe have done it can contribute. I’m thinking Dutch, Longbob,,,,,0thers.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Every bank I have ever dealt with wants to consolidate.

They talk about interest rates and cash flow and such.

It has cost us money every time.

If you can save interest and pay down the principal faster, I would say in your instance that you should be fine.

Fugging credit score is a joke. What are you worried about a your credit score for anyway??

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Last two years I've been cutting expenses to the bone paying off debt.

I could consolidate the rest at a much lower interest rate. Keep on living as I am, and get out of debt months earlier.

I expect my currently excellent credit rating might take a hit in the short term, but I ain't gonna make any purchases until I'm clear anyhow.

OK, whats the downside?

Ole Dave Ramsey would say get out of debt.

That may be the best play, IMO.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reason you have a good credit score is because you owe so much and make the payments on time.
Mine has gone down some because I have no debt.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
If you have good/ decent credit now and a good job, why not consolidate? It can save you hundreds each month in credit card payments...My wife and I did it through Freedom Plus 6 months or so ago, and I havent seen any drawbacks yet. Just make sure you do it through a good reputable company. We got in touch with Freedom Plus through lendingtree.com.. There are some companies out there that sign you up then fight it out with your creditors for weeks over the balance they will pay behind the scenes. Meanwhile, you end up with late payments on your credit while they duke it out before you even know what's happening behind the scenes.

Last edited by Rockymtnhigh; 02/15/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They are making money somehow...

Yep...nothing's free.

Something a wise scholar and educator should already know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consolidation to a lower interest rate should save one some coin, if he does not extend his payment schedule. Of course front end fees should be included in ones calculations, and I would not add debt to my home financing. Years back we refinanced our home twice in 12 months for lower rates and incurred no additional fees. Just banks wanting our business.

Pay off the highest interest rates first.

I've never worried about my score. If I ask the bank for $$$, they always come through.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/15/19.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dave Ramsey is an idiot ! There I said it, and it deserves repeated.

Credit card debt is unsecured debt, hence the high interest rate, and if are dumb or unfortunate to have a lot of it, then yes borrow to pay it off and then put them away. The rest of your debt needs to be looked at in an importance to thought, it is far better to quit making a car payment with a 8-9 % interest rate than to borrow more money against your home @ 5 % and lose them both.

Last edited by jimy; 02/15/19.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Me either, but I believe the problem usually is people consolidate debt, free up their credit cards, but then continue their old spending habits that got 'em into trouble in the first place and get even more in debt by continuing to spend more money than they're making.

I don't really have any old spending habits, and I currently have tens of thousands of available credit on hand I haven't touched.

I'm looking for a downside in consolidating but I ain't seeing it. I'm just wary as all get out is all.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jimy

Credit card debt is unsecured debt, hence the high interest rate, and if are dumb or unfortunate to have a lot of it, then yes borrow to pay it off and then put them away. The rest of your debt needs look at in an importance to thought, it is far better to quite making a car payment with a 8-9 % interest rate than to borrow more money against your home @ % and lose them both.

Sheer fuucckin genius here.

Wents to school with AOC, no doubt.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Me either, but I believe the problem usually is people consolidate debt, free up their credit cards, but then continue their old spending habits that got 'em into trouble in the first place and get even more in debt by continuing to spend more money than they're making.

I don't really have any old spending habits, and I currently have tens of thousands of available credit on hand I haven't touched.

I'm looking for a downside in consolidating but I ain't seeing it. I'm just wary as all get out is all.

Your discipline will bring you out of this.

Sure doesn’t hurt to ask like you’re doing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

Credit card debt is unsecured debt, hence the high interest rate, and if are dumb or unfortunate to have a lot of it, then yes borrow to pay it off and then put them away. The rest of your debt needs look at in an importance to thought, it is far better to quite making a car payment with a 8-9 % interest rate than to borrow more money against your home @ % and lose them both.

I guess its here we should ask you to give us your credentials on debt management, financial planning and character evaluation.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

I was wary as heck too. See my post above, just make sure you talk to a reputable company. The people that get in trouble with debt consolidation are the ones with bad credit already and have to use a less than reputable company to consolidate...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That was typed on my phone I have since fixed a couple typos, but Ramsey's spots haven't changed.

That's coming from some one with a low earning capability. You are way better off increasing your earning potential , than your debt.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

You nailed it. Most consolidate their debt and then promptly started digging new debt.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I guess its here we should ask you to give us your credentials on debt management, financial planning and character evaluation.

I don't sleep on the floor and I can afford to air condition my home, any other questions ? smile

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That was typed on my phone I have since fixed a couple typos, but Ramsey's spots haven't changed.

That's coming from some one with a low earning capability. You are way better off increasing your earning potential , than your debt.

Uhhh,,,,yeah. Got it now.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife and I did it through Freedom Plus 6 months or so ago, and I haven't seen any drawbacks yet.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look 'em up.

Its two credit cards that I have making me these offers, obviously they think that someone in my position right now is gonna consolidate so they would rather I pay that lower interest rate to them rather than to someone else. One of 'em is at zero balance, has been for some time, obviously they would like some of my business. Both are offering loan amounts equal to my total unsecured debt.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.