Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I grew up being told that the 243 is marginal for deer, and a 22 caliber is only to be used in emergencies. I had always accepted that, and have been guilty of passing on the same information to others. (having never tried a 223) Several things have been making me rethink this, and I am seriously considering taking my 225 winchester deer hunting this fall. First, Big Stick has said a lot about 223 for hunting. And from what I have read, he can actually back his opinion up with experience. Second, I recently acquired P.O. Ackley's handbook for shooters and re-loaders. In volume 1 he has a chapter titled "Killing Power". In that chapter he talks pretty favorably about the 220 swift for deer. He also talks about using a 17 caliber for shooting wild burros. He does't exactly recommend a 17 caliber, but he expressed surprise at how well it performed.
So I would love to hear real world experience using a 22 centerfire rifle for deer. The good and the bad. If you have successes, it would be nice to know distance shot,bullet used, and how far the deer ran.
Ps. I do live in Pa, so 22 centerfire rifles are legal here. So lets hear it, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Ps 2. Lets not turn this into bashing other peoples choices and experiences, if you can't share experience with small centerfire rifles, keep your opinion to yourself. I want this to be a good informational discussion ( I know its a stretch on here).

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a 223 and 2-250 both 8 rpm and I've killed quite a few deer with both. Never any issues with either

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be prepared to become overwhelmed. A lot of dudes have slayed deer with the .22 cal. Things seem to die when you hit em right. šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish Virginia would take a hint. Iā€™d be all over 62 TTSX

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been using a .223 for about 5 years on deer. 55 and 62 grain PSP's perform well and expand predictably out of a 16" barrel. I will NOT SHOOT more than 250 yards with this caliber - it will kill them but there will be some tracking involved... Most of my shots have been 80-175 yards... most neck shots DRT. The few I have shot in the shoulder/heart/lungs have run 20-40 yards with very little blood. I thinks it is a great tool but it will magnify the problems with a marginal shot, whereas a larger caliber might do a bit more damage on an off hit.

I think it is a great caliber for shooting deer and hogs.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My kids both used them this year for deer. One deer, a mulie, ran 30 yards with the heart shot out. The other never took a step after the shot.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Iā€™ve used a 16ā€ 223 AR on three deer. Bullet didnā€™t seem to matter if you stuck it through the slats, 40gr Nosler, 55gr Hornady SP, and 53gr TSX. Iā€™ve also killed around 50 pigs in the last 2 years with 223ARs and a 222mag boltgun. Iā€™ve used 40gr Varmaggedon tipped, 50gr Hornady SP, 55gr Hornady SP, 53gr VMax, 55gr BTips, 50gr BTips, 53gr TSX, 55gr ball, 75gr Hornady BTHPs, and probably others Iā€™m forgetting, they all kill pigs from #40-250. Shot them in the front half and collect your critter.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I grew up being told that the 243 is marginal for deer, and a 22 caliber is only to be used in emergencies. I had always accepted that, and have been guilty of passing on the same information to others. (having never tried a 223) Several things have been making me rethink this, and I am seriously considering taking my 225 winchester deer hunting this fall. First, Big Stick has said a lot about 223 for hunting. And from what I have read, he can actually back his opinion up with experience. Second, I recently acquired P.O. Ackley's handbook for shooters and re-loaders. In volume 1 he has a chapter titled "Killing Power". In that chapter he talks pretty favorably about the 220 swift for deer. He also talks about using a 17 caliber for shooting wild burros. He does't exactly recommend a 17 caliber, but he expressed surprise at how well it performed.
So I would love to hear real world experience using a 22 centerfire rifle for deer. The good and the bad. If you have successes, it would be nice to know distance shot,bullet used, and how far the deer ran.
Ps. I do live in Pa, so 22 centerfire rifles are legal here. So lets hear it, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Ps 2. Lets not turn this into bashing other peoples choices and experiences, if you can't share experience with small centerfire rifles, keep your opinion to yourself. I want this to be a good informational discussion ( I know its a stretch on here).

Twist?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used them. They work, but I just donā€™t see the need when I can grab a 243. Thatā€™s just me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Travis13
I have used them. They work, but I just donā€™t see the need when I can grab a 243. Thatā€™s just me.

Me too!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
Ī¼ĪæĪ»į½¼Ī½ Ī»Ī±Ī²Ī­

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mathman has asked a relevant question. If your 225 is like mine, it has a 14" twist, which will limit the bullets that you use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jevyod

What do you want to see?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I've used a .220 swift a little for big game...

55gr Hornady spire points work pretty good.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Different species, same rifle and bullet.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

My long time hunting pal was a 22/250 guy...The only rifle he ever used for over 50 years.

RIP Bill.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Sako Swift-55gr Hornady

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Travis13

That question can be asked all the way up the power scale. Why grab a 243 when you can grab a 260? Why grab a 260 when you can grab a 7mm-08? Why grab a 7mm-08 when you can grab a 30-06?

A 223 will kill a deer as dead as anything else. There's only one level of dead. My experience is that the 22 caliber Partitions shuts them down as quickly as a 30-06. Actually, more quickly in my experience. When I peel dead deer, I am not seeing any greater damage with larger bore bullets. The heart and or lungs just go to jelly. Obviously if we are dealing with extended ranges, the 22 caliber offerings may prove marginal before a larger caliber with heavier bullets. I don't have anywhere to hunt at those kind of ranges though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey Pat, nice bucks and good to see you doing the posts.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I killed my first deer with a 223 back in the 70's. Not much tracking was involved. No idea of the twist rate or what bullet I used. I hit the shoulder, which ruined some meat. With that load, I should have held for the ribs.

I'd do it again with today's bullets in a barrel of the proper twist.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,224
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.