Home
I grew up being told that the 243 is marginal for deer, and a 22 caliber is only to be used in emergencies. I had always accepted that, and have been guilty of passing on the same information to others. (having never tried a 223) Several things have been making me rethink this, and I am seriously considering taking my 225 winchester deer hunting this fall. First, Big Stick has said a lot about 223 for hunting. And from what I have read, he can actually back his opinion up with experience. Second, I recently acquired P.O. Ackley's handbook for shooters and re-loaders. In volume 1 he has a chapter titled "Killing Power". In that chapter he talks pretty favorably about the 220 swift for deer. He also talks about using a 17 caliber for shooting wild burros. He does't exactly recommend a 17 caliber, but he expressed surprise at how well it performed.
So I would love to hear real world experience using a 22 centerfire rifle for deer. The good and the bad. If you have successes, it would be nice to know distance shot,bullet used, and how far the deer ran.
Ps. I do live in Pa, so 22 centerfire rifles are legal here. So lets hear it, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Ps 2. Lets not turn this into bashing other peoples choices and experiences, if you can't share experience with small centerfire rifles, keep your opinion to yourself. I want this to be a good informational discussion ( I know its a stretch on here).
I have a 223 and 2-250 both 8 rpm and I've killed quite a few deer with both. Never any issues with either
Be prepared to become overwhelmed. A lot of dudes have slayed deer with the .22 cal. Things seem to die when you hit em right. šŸ˜Ž
I wish Virginia would take a hint. Iā€™d be all over 62 TTSX
I've been using a .223 for about 5 years on deer. 55 and 62 grain PSP's perform well and expand predictably out of a 16" barrel. I will NOT SHOOT more than 250 yards with this caliber - it will kill them but there will be some tracking involved... Most of my shots have been 80-175 yards... most neck shots DRT. The few I have shot in the shoulder/heart/lungs have run 20-40 yards with very little blood. I thinks it is a great tool but it will magnify the problems with a marginal shot, whereas a larger caliber might do a bit more damage on an off hit.

I think it is a great caliber for shooting deer and hogs.
My kids both used them this year for deer. One deer, a mulie, ran 30 yards with the heart shot out. The other never took a step after the shot.
Iā€™ve used a 16ā€ 223 AR on three deer. Bullet didnā€™t seem to matter if you stuck it through the slats, 40gr Nosler, 55gr Hornady SP, and 53gr TSX. Iā€™ve also killed around 50 pigs in the last 2 years with 223ARs and a 222mag boltgun. Iā€™ve used 40gr Varmaggedon tipped, 50gr Hornady SP, 55gr Hornady SP, 53gr VMax, 55gr BTips, 50gr BTips, 53gr TSX, 55gr ball, 75gr Hornady BTHPs, and probably others Iā€™m forgetting, they all kill pigs from #40-250. Shot them in the front half and collect your critter.
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I grew up being told that the 243 is marginal for deer, and a 22 caliber is only to be used in emergencies. I had always accepted that, and have been guilty of passing on the same information to others. (having never tried a 223) Several things have been making me rethink this, and I am seriously considering taking my 225 winchester deer hunting this fall. First, Big Stick has said a lot about 223 for hunting. And from what I have read, he can actually back his opinion up with experience. Second, I recently acquired P.O. Ackley's handbook for shooters and re-loaders. In volume 1 he has a chapter titled "Killing Power". In that chapter he talks pretty favorably about the 220 swift for deer. He also talks about using a 17 caliber for shooting wild burros. He does't exactly recommend a 17 caliber, but he expressed surprise at how well it performed.
So I would love to hear real world experience using a 22 centerfire rifle for deer. The good and the bad. If you have successes, it would be nice to know distance shot,bullet used, and how far the deer ran.
Ps. I do live in Pa, so 22 centerfire rifles are legal here. So lets hear it, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Ps 2. Lets not turn this into bashing other peoples choices and experiences, if you can't share experience with small centerfire rifles, keep your opinion to yourself. I want this to be a good informational discussion ( I know its a stretch on here).

Twist?
I have used them. They work, but I just donā€™t see the need when I can grab a 243. Thatā€™s just me.
Originally Posted by Travis13
I have used them. They work, but I just donā€™t see the need when I can grab a 243. Thatā€™s just me.

Me too!
mathman has asked a relevant question. If your 225 is like mine, it has a 14" twist, which will limit the bullets that you use.

What do you want to see?
[Linked Image]

I've used a .220 swift a little for big game...

55gr Hornady spire points work pretty good.
[Linked Image]

Different species, same rifle and bullet.
[Linked Image]

My long time hunting pal was a 22/250 guy...The only rifle he ever used for over 50 years.

RIP Bill.
[Linked Image]

Sako Swift-55gr Hornady

That question can be asked all the way up the power scale. Why grab a 243 when you can grab a 260? Why grab a 260 when you can grab a 7mm-08? Why grab a 7mm-08 when you can grab a 30-06?

A 223 will kill a deer as dead as anything else. There's only one level of dead. My experience is that the 22 caliber Partitions shuts them down as quickly as a 30-06. Actually, more quickly in my experience. When I peel dead deer, I am not seeing any greater damage with larger bore bullets. The heart and or lungs just go to jelly. Obviously if we are dealing with extended ranges, the 22 caliber offerings may prove marginal before a larger caliber with heavier bullets. I don't have anywhere to hunt at those kind of ranges though.
Hey Pat, nice bucks and good to see you doing the posts.
I killed my first deer with a 223 back in the 70's. Not much tracking was involved. No idea of the twist rate or what bullet I used. I hit the shoulder, which ruined some meat. With that load, I should have held for the ribs.

I'd do it again with today's bullets in a barrel of the proper twist.

Okie John
[Linked Image]
I am pretty sure the twist is 1:14. I had thought about that limiting bullet selection. I have shot 52 grain with pretty good results. I can probably shoot 55's but 60 grainers may be a stretch. That is one thing that does make me pause a bit. Scenarshooter, thanks for the pics. Also am happy to see that 55 grain bullets seem to be up for the job!
[Linked Image]

I know....the barrel is pointed right at me, and the bolt is closed. Poor on my part.

Caribou are easy to kill. For their size, they're not very tenacious.

If I recall, this shot was about 250 yards through the lungs.
[Linked Image]

55gr Hornady.
I am pretty sure the twist is 1:14. I had thought about that limiting bullet selection. I have shot 52 grain with pretty good results. I can probably shoot 55's but 60 grainers may be a stretch. That is one thing that does make me pause a bit. Scenarshooter, thanks for the pics. Also am happy to see that 55 grain bullets seem to be up for the job!

Notice they're 55 gr. Hornady bullets.
I see that barnes makes a 45 grain tsx. If you read the reviews at Midway, they seem to do well on deer. Same story on the 50 grain tsx. I am not sure if I should go lighterfor more speed or shoot the 50 grain bullets. Seems like even the 45 grain TSX penetrate well enough to get an exit.
I did notice the part about them being Hornady. I don't see how that makes them better than say Barnes.
I wasn't necessarily referring to Barnes. It means they've been shown to work while other 55 grain bullets, Sierra, Speer etc may not.

And a 55 grain Barnes probably won't work in a 14" twist.
I'm a firm believer of SPEED in small calibers. I've only shot two so far with my 22-250, both with handloads. The first was a big body old doe at 75 yards with a Winchester 64 gr sp. She was hit high shoulder and just dropped. The second was with a Sierra 55 gr Game King on doe, 50 yard base of neck shot. It was the most impressive I've seen as it literally flipped her in the air onto her back. The exit hole was quarter size. Minutes later I dropped a red fox at 175 yards. Hit just behind the shoulder and the same quarter size exit hole. These Sierra's shoot into 3/4" for 3 shots at 100 yards.
Originally Posted by 450fan
I'm a firm believer of SPEED in small calibers. I've only shot two so far with my 22-250, both with handloads. The first was a big body old doe at 75 yards with a Winchester 64 gr sp. She was hit high shoulder and just dropped. The second was with a Sierra 55 gr Game King on doe, 50 yard base of neck shot. It was the most impressive I've seen as it literally flipped her in the air onto her back. The exit hole was quarter size. Minutes later I dropped a red fox at 175 yards. Hit just behind the shoulder and the same quarter size exit hole. These Sierra's shoot into 3/4" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

"It" didn't.
mathman, You think the 55 Barnes may not stabilize due to them being too long?
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

You've been holding out on me! laugh
First time I've seen that one - cool deer.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That question can be asked all the way up the power scale. Why grab a 243 when you can grab a 260? Why grab a 260 when you can grab a 7mm-08? Why grab a 7mm-08 when you can grab a 30-06?

A 223 will kill a deer as dead as anything else. There's only one level of dead. My experience is that the 22 caliber Partitions shuts them down as quickly as a 30-06. Actually, more quickly in my experience. When I peel dead deer, I am not seeing any greater damage with larger bore bullets. The heart and or lungs just go to jelly. Obviously if we are dealing with extended ranges, the 22 caliber offerings may prove marginal before a larger caliber with heavier bullets. I don't have anywhere to hunt at those kind of ranges though.

Recoil Recoil Recoil. That is usually the main reasoning for these debates.

In my experience, a 30-06 works better. In my fatherā€™s experience, a 260 works better. Only one way to find out if its the right choice, make your own experience.
Overwhelmed was an understatement...Told you so OP šŸ˜Ž
mathman, You think the 55 Barnes may not stabilize due to them being too long?

Barnes' website suggests more twist, likely for the length reason.
you can get 50 rnds of .223 hornady 55 g spirepoints for around 25 bucks these days ... almost (almost) lessens the desire to reload.
Except that I would be using a 225 Winchester which if you look for ammo, makes it a must to reload!
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Overwhelmed was an understatement...Told you so OP šŸ˜Ž

I don't mind! It is like I expected, most who are against using such "pea shooters" have little to back it up other than opinions.

I agree. There is no degree of dead.......a deer killed with a 223 is just as dead as one killed with a bigger cartridge. BUT...all things being considered, I think there are better choices than a 22 caliber for deer, and that's the route I choose to take.
Many years ago my 8 year old son killed his first two deer with a shortened stock 1 in 12 Featherweight in 223 REM. The bullet, a 60gr Partition which stabilized just fine, passed through both deer (double lung) leaving an exit the size of a quarter, and neither went more than 40 yards. With this bullet put in the proper spot you will harvest medium game.
The 60 Partition is a short bullet.
Originally Posted by mathman

That's why I loaded it. It worked and it's a Partition, which is always my first choice.

Had it not, the boy may have had to wait some number of years later to take his first deer, because 308 was the next step up and at 8 years old I wasn't about to spook him with a 308, or 243.
I agree. Youngsters too often get started with too much gun for their comfort.
I wasn't necessarily referring to Barnes. It means they've been shown to work while other 55 grain bullets, Sierra, Speer etc may not.

And a 55 grain Barnes probably won't work in a 14" twist.

It might also be noted that at one time Hornady made 2 versions of the 55 gr SP one with a cannelure and one without. The non cannelure versions were more likely to hold together better from what I have read.MB
Originally Posted by 16bore

Agreed!

Thank you. That is good info. I am thinking these may be short enough to stabilize in my 14 twist
My two boys when they first started out hunting used .22 Hornet and .223 Rem with great success. The two of them killed whitetails, axis, fallows, red deer, even a cow elk, and numerous feral hogs.

I didn't reload, so we used factory ammo.
The .22 Hornet we used Nosler Custom loaded 45gr. Nosler Solid Base

.223 Rem we used just about every decent soft point offered. Partitions, TBBC, Power Points, Fusion, etc. The TSX was also used quite extensively, especially on feral hogs. Great times!

[Linked Image]
I had a Ruger M77 carbine SS .223 that I killed several deer with. Favorite load for the task was Federal premium factory loads with 62 gr Bonded bullets. Fun little deer gun and I regret selling it. I also dispatched a few using little 45 gr. Barnes xlcā€™s They killed as well as anything. With a slow twist a light Barnes might be an option as well as the partition.
Best part I found was after the shot I could stay on the deer with the scope due to zero recoil. I watched them all fall over dead through the scope.
I just want to vote for Pat to bring back the Hockey Hair....
[Linked Image]

A little bigger critter.....

Good shot placement solves quite a few issues. This bull went down after a few seconds, after taking a broadside shot to the lungs.
[Linked Image]

52gr Sierra Match King at about 100 yards broadside. he went only a short ways before going down.
God damn that buck has some tine length!!!!

Thatā€™s one thing Iā€™ve noticed about those Montana boys, they like their 22ā€™s cf for buck huntin
[Linked Image]

Had to throw this one in here...;) Idaho 1991.

55 Hornady, 100 yards. This was a neck/shoulder junction shot, and he dropped on the spot, and never moved. I then did the fastest, downhill 100 yard dash I've ever ran..;)
77gr TMK. Just under 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

62gr sub 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

110 yards, 77gr TMK-
[Linked Image]

303 yards, 77gr TMK-
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by longshot3
Originally Posted by 16bore

Agreed!

IIRC, all the states that border us allow .223. Even the Peopleā€™s Republic of Maryland.
Haha I bet!!! Thatā€™s my # 1 choice for deer and elk, though itā€™s not what it once was it would still be fun! I draw Iā€™ll be hittin ya up for the secret spot!!! Grin
100ā€™ish yards, 62gr Fusiin/SPGD

[Linked Image]

240ā€™ish IIRC, 62gr Fusion/SPGD-

[Linked Image]

Are you saying that Schtick likes them....

Since they are also short??
Nice pictures everyone.

Seems the lowly .223Rem works better than most expect!
Why .22ā€™s for deer over other calibers?

Because with the right bullets there are fewer a rodeos with .22ā€™s than with any other caliber this side of 5-600.

People miss less, they wound less, and when either one of those happen, because they can watch the hit through the scope the follow up and corrections are way faster and more accurate.

There is nothing ā€œmarginalā€ about what a 77gr TMK or 75+he ELD-M does in an animal. They do too much damage as a matter of fact, and I have started to use bullets that destroy less meat on steaks. That means that they run a bit, and the damage is less dramatic of course, but a 77gr TMK inserted in a bone pretty much destroys that quarter. Bucks still get the good stuff however.
[Linked Image]

55 Hornady, 100 yards. This was a neck/shoulder junction shot, and he dropped on the spot, and never moved. I then did the fastest, downhill 100 yard dash I've ever ran..;)

That is one beautiful deer! Congrats 28 years later!
Not hunting, but over the years I killed mule deer when I was on-duty, with my 223 AR-15 & soft-point 55 gr Federal ammo.

I was a cop, and pretty much every winter we'd get reports of injured or sick deer in town. Hit by cars, trucks, even the train. Chased and injured by domestic dogs. Hung up in fences, etc... They'd come into town during the winter, and it isn't a good place for deer. That danged train hit a group of four mule deer that were on the tracks on the outskirts of town, apparently trying to stay out of the deep snow. Killed three of 'em, broke the legs of all, including one that was injured and couldn't flee at my approach.

Most of the shots were pretty close, a couple were as far as 50 yards or so. Only one young buck required a second shot, everything else just fell, dead.

I found it interesting, but sad duty.

Guy
I used 70 grain speer bullets in a 22-250, 53 TSXand 55 TTSX in my 223 WSSM on deer. We used the 55TTSX in the WSSM on Antelope too.

I shot a couple deer with 223 rem and FMJ's. There was a brand that had a flat nose FMJ, dont remember what brand, it was the late 80's.

Recently my stepdaughter shot her first rifle deer with a 223 and 64 grain Nosler bonded bullet. She hit it in the spine and the bullet put a fist sized hole through the spine. DRT.

This year I am loading 62 TSX in my 223 WSSM. Most likely just for antelope as I have more guns that I want to shoot deer with this year than I will have tags.
Need a 7.7 to spin a 77 TMK in low fps 223?
A 223 will kill 200 lb pigs, should kill deer just fine.
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Need a 7.7 to spin a 77 TMK in low fps 223?

1-8ā€.
Major cool points awarded for using a .225 Win. Always wanted one but never ran into one. I am using my 1-14" 22-250 this year though.
My hunting buddy's daughters use them. I have helped track several of their deer. Sometimes they drop them and sometimes they leave a barely dripping blood trail that is difficult to follow. When a 22 cf bullet hits the vitals it kills the deer. Then you have to find them.
[Linked Image]

52gr Sierra Match King at about 100 yards broadside. he went only a short ways before going down.

Impossible to beat Pats pics and experience....but I'd like to think I'm a distant second! Some of it thanks to his tutelage...!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
121 to 169 lbs..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like Pat Ive got a bunch more...just different ( and mostly smaller!) critters laugh
[Linked Image]

Camo pants Pat? Where's the blue jeans? haha
[Linked Image]

Pat, that deer looks even better in Idaho's Greatest Mule Deer II....Lol
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Why .22ā€™s for deer over other calibers?

Because with the right bullets there are fewer a rodeos with .22ā€™s than with any other caliber this side of 5-600.

People miss less, they wound less, and when either one of those happen, because they can watch the hit through the scope the follow up and corrections are way faster and more accurate.

There is nothing ā€œmarginalā€ about what a 77gr TMK or 75+he ELD-M does in an animal. They do too much damage as a matter of fact, and I have started to use bullets that destroy less meat on steaks. That means that they run a bit, and the damage is less dramatic of course, but a 77gr TMK inserted in a bone pretty much destroys that quarter. Bucks still get the good stuff however.

I notice you use the TMKs over the 75 grain hornady, is that because they work better in the tikka magazine,or are they a better choice for hunting?
TIA
Killed only three with the 223 and one with 22-250 all worked. No exit wounds yet, have not used Barnes or like bullets.
I knew some guys back in the 1980's that started deer hunting here in GA with 22-250's. I never asked about loads, bullets etc., but these guys were claiming quicker kills with the fast 22's than larger more conventional rounds. I never really bought into the idea at least at the time. But recently I've just seen too much to discount the idea so last year I hunted with one of my AR's a couple of days. It was getting toward the end of the season, I knew where a buck was located, but he wasn't coming out of some thick brush except at night. I decided to go in after him and the 16" barrel on the AR along with fast repeat shots seemed like a better idea than my bolt guns.

I arrived at the spot several minutes before legal shooting time and decided to wait on good light before heading into the brush. I caught him coming back just 2-3 minutes into legal shooting time and put a 60 gr Hornady V-Max into him and broke the shoulder before he could get into the thick stuff. He went down and I put a 2nd shot into the lungs. He didn't die as quickly as I'd have liked, but I've also hit deer with 165 gr 30-06 loads that ran farther.

At least for me it isn't something I'd do on a regular basis. I'm convinced the 22's with good bullets will kill deer within certain range limitations and with careful shot placement. But I'm not always wanting to stay within those limitations. Plus most of the places where I hunt here in GA is open for black bear during virtually all of our deer season. And some places have more bear than deer. I don't think the 22's are an acceptable choice on black bear.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

I notice you use the TMKs over the 75 grain hornady, is that because they work better in the tikka magazine,or are they a better choice for hunting?
TIA

Iā€™ve used both 75gr Hornadyā€™s- the ELD-M and HPBT. The ELD-M is great but wonā€™t fit the mag in both the Tikka and ARā€™s. The HPBT kills fine, but does not do what the 77gr TMK does in tissue.

The 77gr TMK is about ideal for 200-250 pound mammals.
So basically the 22 cal rifles don't work well at all wink

Nice thread, much more enjoyable than some here recently.
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't think the 22's are an acceptable choice on black bear.

You should probably look up Dober's experience with 22s on bruins before discounting the option.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't think the 22's are an acceptable choice on black bear.

You should probably look up Dober's experience with 22s on bruins before discounting the option.

Dober was good to have around.
Used to do some freezer filling missions (aka doe hunts) with my XP-100 Fireball. 52 grain Hornady BTHPM's. Longest shot I ever took was a whisker over 80 yards. But placed a few ribs back of the shoulder, the tracking job was never hard or far.
Iā€™ve only used it on one white tail myself, but my buddies kids have used my cz 527 in 221 fireball for the last 3 years, killing 4 deer between them. Theyā€™ve all been shot with my handloads using 45gr tsx. All shot in the lungs, and 3 of the 5 dropped on the spot. The other two ran about 30 yards. Recovered 1 bullet, and the other 4 passed through. All shots were under 100yds. Itā€™s amazing how much damage that little bullet can do.
1977 - Ruger 77 220 Swift

2 shots fired, 2 Texas Whitetailā€™s belly hit the ground before the head dropped.

Norma ammo, 55 gr
Originally Posted by borden811
Iā€™ve only used it on one white tail myself, but my buddies kids have used my cz 527 in 221 fireball for the last 3 years, killing 4 deer between them. Theyā€™ve all been shot with my handloads using 45gr tsx. All shot in the lungs, and 3 of the 5 dropped on the spot. The other two ran about 30 yards. Recovered 1 bullet, and the other 4 passed through. All shots were under 100yds. Itā€™s amazing how much damage that little bullet can do.

Seriously... I may have to get a hornet load worked up and restrict it to bow ranges and see how it goes
I have seen it happen, the Hornady 55 grain bullet does work.

[Linked Image]
22-250 14 or 8 twist, 55 gr sp > dead deer. Head, heart, neck, or lungs....
Originally Posted by moosemike
Major cool points awarded for using a .225 Win. Always wanted one but never ran into one. I am using my 1-14" 22-250 this year though.

Thanks! What bullets will you be using in the 14 twist?
Thanks for all the replies guys. Gives me confidence. I hunt woods in Pa where a long shot is 80 yards, so I think I should be well within the capabilities of the rifle.
Small sample size of two KY WT's that I shot with a .223 before I started reloading. Both shot with green box 55gr SP's. Both required a second shot as a finisher. Yes, the .223 will work. However a definite case of "bullets matter".

I moved up to a .243 and put together a significant string of one shot DRT's with 95gr and 100gr NPT's. Never looked back at the .223...
ScenarShooter, are those 55 Hornady's the same ones that are often on sale for < $0.10 each?
Back in the 80ā€™s, I started with a 22-250 (788) and then a mini-14. In those days about all there was were 55 grain bullet from the big 3. They playing field has changed.
.223 53 grain Barnes ttsx.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've killed a clusterfhuck of black bears with .22 centerfires
[Linked Image]

This 300lb boar was killed with one shot, with a .222 Remington.

Thanks! What bullets will you be using in the 14 twist?

Remington 55 grains. Just like me and my pal used to use for deer back when we were teens.
[Linked Image]

What's your preferred shot placement on Bear?
[Linked Image]

What's your preferred shot placement on Bear?

Behind the shoulder, broadside-lungs.
Thanks. I've always been told if I try a Bear with a light rifle I have to go neck/head. I figured that wasn't the case.
[Linked Image]

This one was a head shot at 250 yards with a 60gr Hornady hollow point. The only bear I've ever shot in the head.
[Linked Image]

This one was from the fall of 1994. I found him in a chokecherry thicket, made a well executed stalk, keeping the wind perfect, and came out within 175 yards of where I'd seen him from a mile away.

After about a 10 minute wait, he stepped into a small opening and I fired one shot, aiming for the lungs. He only went about 50 feet.

My notes say: .220 Swift-55gr Spire point-46grs IMR 4831.
Way cool!
Pat, have you suffered any failures that you feel were from using too light of a caliber?

If Scenar's pics are not enough, here is my experience.

45gr TSX, 1:14, 22-250
53gr TSX, 1:14, 22-250
64gr Sierra, 1:9, 222

I do not have detailed notes, but close to 4 dozen deer/antelope with no issues
Have only recovered the 64gr Sierra out of the 222.

I got my 22-250 back from getting a new 1:8 barrel to replace the 1:14 that was shot out. Plan on trying 62gr TTSX, if they do not pan out, I will go right back to the 53gr TSX.
Good info CRS. That's what I'm trying to find out. On other sites I get ridiculed for carrying .22's for deer and 243 for bear because they say I'm certain to wound game too. Good to hear of someone shooting that volume without issue.
[Linked Image]

Pat, its good to see you post some pics of .22 kills, but damn, you, Bill, and Shawn look young in them. grin
[Linked Image]

This one was a head shot at 250 yards with a 60gr Hornady hollow point. The only bear I've ever shot in the head.

You was just a kid in this one. I always enjoy your photos.
Thanks for posting them.
I killed about 12 mule deer with a 22-250 years ago using Speer 70 grain semi-spitzers. Never lost one, but some of the bullet made good straight wound channels and a few turned off at angles in the bodies. I wish the jackets were a bit thicker in the shank area.

After I have satisfied my curiosity I quit using that rifle for deer hunting because I had no real need to use it, having 25s 6.5MM, several 270s 308s 30-06s 300, 338s and also a 375H&H 458s 460s and a 50-140 Sharps in my safe. I have always liked larger rifles, but I don't preach that such tools are needed. If someone can shoot well and uses any bullet that will give good expansion with full penetration, a big gun is not needed. I just like them.

I have seen about 20 other hunters kill deer and antelope with center fire 22s, all 223s and 22-250s using well made "deer bullets". Nosler Partitions and Barnes X types of 60 grains and heavier. All did very well.

I saw 5 deer killed with 65 grain Sierras from a Remington M700 in 223, but I have to say I was not very impressed with them. They killed the deer, (all white tails) but only one of the 5 exited the body, and the other all blew up badly. All were well placed so no deer were lost, but in one case the wound was only about 9" deep.

Just last week I loaded 100 rounds of 223 for my AR15, with 60 grain Nosler Partitions. The 223 is a legal round for deer and antelope in Wyoming with bullets of 60 grains or heavier. I may never shoot one with an AR, but if I get an urge to do it I thought I should have some ammo made for the task. I loaded my 5.56 "hunting ammo" with 24.6 Gr H4895 in WW brass and I get right at 1 MOA with them, so that's plenty good for deer or antelope out to any range I would shoot at them with a 223. I would limit myself to 300 yards personally.

The AR15 is also an excellent tool for smaller hunters because of it's tele-stock and extremely low recoil. Because of that I have loaned my ARs to hunters several times in the past and so far all of them (mostly kids and small women) have done very well in their hunts, and nearly all of them got an AR for themselves afterwords.

The 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel are favored, but many have used the standard 5.56 for deer and antelope with good bullets,and done fine. The deer and antelope do not always drop at the shot when hit with the 223s, but I have yet to see one go more than about 40 yards.

Pat, have you suffered any failures that you feel were from using too light of a caliber?

I played around with some 40gr AMAX bullets for coyotes in my .220AI for awhile. I was getting 4300fps with a good dose of 4064, in a 26" Hart 1-14".

I'd called in a pair of coyotes and got a facing shot on the old male at about 125 yards. I fired and he dropped instantly. I swung over on the female and killed her with a running shot behind the shoulder.

When I went out to recover them, the male was gone. There was hair, and chunks of meat where he took the hit. I looked up the coulee and saw him sitting in a patch of sagebrush still alive. I dispatched him right there. The first bullet
exploded on the heavy shoulder muscle, leaving a good sized crater, but never got inside the cavity. After that, I went back to 55gr class bullets. I'd taken about 75 coyotes with that load up until then, without any issues.
Iā€™ve killed my share of deer with a .223. However, outside of some cull shoots, mine arenā€™t first choice for deer/hogs, but something thatā€™ll work in a pinch. This is hunting the east, or Texas scrub.....if I always hunted open country with only patchy brush or could see the next hillside, Iā€™d be far less concerned with such things. Too much thick stuff to track in, bad angle presentations, etc. I grab other/better suited stuff if planning ahead.
Originally Posted by buffybr
[Linked Image]

Pat, its good to see you post some pics of .22 kills, but damn, you, Bill, and Shawn look young in them. grin

Kurt,

I hear you....where did all those years go?

I'll dig out a few more oldies.
[Linked Image]

Bill Beyl, with a nice chocolate brown boar he killed with his old Remington 22/250
[Linked Image]

I cherish these memories...two great people right here.

Bill and Shawn Beyl, with a nice 6X5 whitetail buck, Shawn took with his Sako .220 swift, about 30 years ago.
Good info CRS. That's what I'm trying to find out. On other sites I get ridiculed for carrying .22's for deer and 243 for bear because they say I'm certain to wound game too. Good to hear of someone shooting that volume without issue.

The only way you will wound game is if you mess up on shot placement. With the caveat that appropriate bullets are used. But that can be a whole other thread, and what makes the fire go round and round ad nauseum.

Our shot distances as been from 30-450yards, all sorts of presentations. I found that deer/antelope skeletal structure will not stop the TSX.

This is only an assumption, but I think the 53gr TSX at 3750fps would blow right through an elk shot through the ribs.
[Linked Image]

Bill and his 22/250...

His shooting skills were beyond belief....with any weapon.
The government of Alberta needs to see this thread.

Great pictures Gents!
Interesting that 32-20, 6.8 SPC, and 30 BO are legal here though....
I have limited experience of 2 animals. Shooting an H&R single shot, 12 twist with 60 grain partitions at 3150. ( too hot, I know. I accidentally mixed up my data with 5.56. Had to back this off later) I shot a doe at 150 yards, broadside. found one piece of hair. followed the best we could with no snow and hard grassy ground. Looked for a body for 3 hours, had to get home for work and school. Went back the next week and found it dead 120 yards from the shot. nickel sized hole through the ribs.
My daughter used the same rig, toned down to 2950 and shot a doe on the shoulder at 100 yards. Same result. No hair, no blood, no track. Never found. Im sure it was dead by its body reaction and I heard the bullet hit it. Frustrating since I know the round is capable. I decided to try again with snow on the ground and never got to it. I have a 8 twist bolt gun that is begging for 62 swift scirocco loads, but havent gotten there yet. I switched my daughter to a 450 bushmaster for various reasons and she laid down 2 last year and 6 this year with no losses. the bushy hurts them bad. Very large reaction from the deer when hit and huge blood trails. its hard to grab anything else out the gun safe when the bushy is so devastating and my 338 RUM is just plain hell on them at any distance I can shoot.
Also worth noting, a buddy that hunted polar bear years ago, said the inuit carried 222 as bear back up guns. basically was all they could get for some reason, but that was the back up gun to his bow!
Originally Posted by salmonhead
Also worth noting, a buddy that hunted polar bear years ago, said the inuit carried 222 as bear back up guns. basically was all they could get for some reason, but that was the back up gun to his bow!

I read a story about them hunting from elevated stands with a .22 Hornet with a stick tied to the barrel. (For some reason the bear wouldn't be visible, I don't remember the details of why.) When a bear would come along, they'd poke it with the stick and pull the trigger. Wait several hours, then go track the bear.
The Sportsman (Fudds?) in the state of Pennsylvania are still winning the fight against us who would like to see semi-autos become legal. They're primary argument is "guys will be out there hunting deer with AR's in 223". To which I reply "yeah so"?
[Linked Image]

How many in brush that runs sight length?????? Your ā€œclusterfhuckā€ of bears always DRT?????
[Linked Image]

Bill and his 22/250...

Nice wide open field.
Not questioning how lethal 22ā€™s are, but for increased probability of DRT in scenarios where you canā€™t see two football fields on either side of your target, you may want to increase your margin of error by going with something with a little more punch.
[Linked Image]

I cherish these memories...two great people right here.

Bill and Shawn Beyl, with a nice 6X5 whitetail buck, Shawn took with his Sako .220 swift, about 30 years ago.

Christ. Trophy animals and great memories but when it comes to testament for .22ā€™s, itā€™s out of place.

I once shot a coyote behind the shoulder with a 22 LR and never found it. I shot another in a wheat field with same rifle/ammo in the same spot and watched it run 100 yards and tip over. Did the same with two bull elk and an arrow. Found the former a day too late and the latter was able to watch with my feet up and some popcorn before he tipped over and was able to pack him out.
Pat and others thanks so much for all the real world results... Great stuff...
Dreamin šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚, you are dreamin šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
In the woods of Pennsylvania Iā€™ve seen it work extremely well, I will say the same as many that have actually used it but a 223 with a tough bullet will drop any deer when used correctly ( appropriate distance and good shot placement) . I have total faith in that round. My son used it for his first 2 years and now graduated to a creedmoor simply because I want him to start using something else for when we go out west. He is a big kid for his age( 6ā€™ and 175 at 13 years old) but was very recoil shy early on, that 223 was exactly what he needed and he shot a few hundred rounds with it. I told him if he wanted to hunt elk or bear he needed to move up so my creed is now his.

MM
Dreaming, whether you know it or not you donā€™t shoot critters through brush no matter the cartridge....
Unless of course you like miserable results.
Originally Posted by Dreamin
I once shot a coyote behind the shoulder with a 22 LR and never found it. I shot another in a wheat field with same rifle/ammo in the same spot and watched it run 100 yards and tip over. Did the same with two bull elk and an arrow. Found the former a day too late and the latter was able to watch with my feet up and some popcorn before he tipped over and was able to pack him out.

What does this have to do with the price of eggs?
Not once in this thread has a 22 LR been discussed.
[Linked Image]

Bill and his 22/250...

Nice wide open field.

You're pretty observant. What does that have to do with anything??

Take any decently constructed 55-60 grain bullets running North of 3000 fps, maybe even North of 3400, poke the critter in the vitals and stuff dies rather quickly. Most will be DRT or if they can handle it they might run 50 feet at the most.

Speed kills.
All anecdotal aside, the fact is thereā€™s not the blood trail to work with in a 223 in the thick and/or wet, that there is with bigger stuff. Iā€™ve used it plenty. Deer is still dead, but itā€™s a bitch to track it in the dark or thick....especially for that extra 50yards they seem to run when not shot in the CNS, vs most other stuff. Speed is ZERO guarantee of DRT with deer. Sometimes it seems to be. Other times itā€™s baffling to a guy with his pet laser beam to watch them run unfazed. A 55-75gr .224 bullet just canā€™t expand a whole lot, AND penetrate for an exit/good blood trail. It still kills well, itā€™s just not the ā€˜bestā€™ for typical eastern deer hunts, IME. Iā€™ve got a TON of deer/hog bullets and loads for .223, and Iā€™ll use them up eventually, but itā€™ll be scenario specific. A 357 pistol bullet works better in the woods around here, and other stuff generally works better to keep them from getting there to begin with. Iā€™m not saying donā€™t use it. Iā€™m just pointing out the considerations some might need to acknowledge when using the smaller stuff as if it werenā€™t ā€˜smallerā€™.
Not questioning how lethal 22ā€™s are, but for increased probability of DRT in scenarios where you canā€™t see two football fields on either side of your target, you may want to increase your margin of error by going with something with a little more punch.

Sounds like you're a hell of a hunter...
[Linked Image]

How many in brush that runs sight length?????? Your ā€œclusterfhuckā€ of bears always DRT?????

Don't know, or care what "DRT" is, but I've never wounded and lost any black bear I've ever shot at....with any rifle.

Maybe you should explain it all to us....
Can someone share a favorite 223 55 grain Hornady spire point load?

25 grains H335...
Pat's photos and experience should be sufficient.

My friend Dober, who used to post here, has used a 22-250 as a deer antelope rifle for over 30 years with the standard 1-14 twist.

I'd probably go with a 1-8 or 9" starting from scratch.

In the early 1950's my father used to fly the state of Montana. In the winter he'd have skis outfitted on his plane, delivering groceries and mail to snowed-in, isolated ranches. He'd always sit down for a cup of coffee, and in Eastern MT, there was invariably a BIG mule deer on the wall. He told me 9 times out of 10 you could count on it having been taken with a 220 Swift...

At our house, we've only used the 223, and only on antelope.
FWIW I've killed lots of does on a depredation permit with 22LR. Only blacktail so they were 80-90lbs. Head shots inside of 50 yards DRT.
Also I had a 1 in 14 223 that would keyhole any Barnes heavier than 45gr. I'm surprised some here have been able to stabilize heavier Barnes in 22-250 but maybe the extra velocity helps?

Originally Posted by David_Walter

25gr H4895 for me
federal sharp shooters use 556,223 rem. for most of the deer they shoot at night and Federal sharp shooters kill plenty deer.

Lever' by lightyears.

Hint................
I've shot/killed with every chambering/boolit thus far cited and a LOT that haven't been. Hint.

If it won't shoot the 75 ELD or 88 ELD in a boltgun,I'm rebarreling.

Hint...................
[Linked Image]

I always enjoy seeing your pictures Pat. Makes me want another fast .22 caliber too. grin
[Linked Image]

Bill and his 22/250...

Yes, Bill was an exceptional shooter. RIP old friend...

But you're not a slouch when it comes to shooting either. If I remember correctly, you won the Montana State Trap Doubles Championship one year, with your Model 12 Winchester! grin
Thanks for the input on 223/55 grain SPs

I have ā€˜Lever, benchmark and Varget in the house.
25 of varget works too

Sounds like you're a hell of a hunter...

Theres gotta be one in every crowd Pat....

Gotta thank Rick again for the Ignore feature...
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

25gr H4895 for me

I'll second that.

Theres lots of good ones, but that's a stand-by...
You might find this interesting...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/42950/Searchpage/2/Main/4895/Words/%2Backley+%2Bswift/Search/true/cheetahs-and-bigstick#Post42950
Back in 2000, I blew my neck out ( in the gym, of all places, trying to be healthy!) and that hunting season I was "not supposed to fire a rifle", said the Dr in front of my wife! so, I convinced them both that I could piut together a hot .22 CF that would have no recoil. OK. I had my smith put a Mod 700 classic "take off" barrel in .220 Swift on a little Mod 7 rifle I had, with a factory synthetic stock. then had a muzzlebrake put on. It would shoot the then available Federal factory 55gr Trophy Bonded into 1/2 inch at 100. I shot a mule deer buck at 130yds , frontal chest shot. He dropped, but the ranch biologist ( this was a late season hunt) ran up to him and he jumped up and ran perpendicular to me. I popped him behind the shoulder and he rolled over, dead. I then took it to Texas for some Exotics and shot a coyote, an axis doe and two very fine Blackbucks.
A few years later I used a little CZ 527 in .221 fireball and the old 50gr XLC on a 75yd, 80 pound shoat. Very tight behind the shoulder, and it made a 50 caliber hole all the way through. I used a .224 TTH and the Swift 75gr Scirocco on a 300# hog at 25yds. Head/neck junction. Pow, flop, kick a bit. It fragmented but broke her neck. Then I burned out on them, only shoot varmints/predators with them now. They are wicked little rounds, but very, very wind sensitive and no blood trails, so one must "finesse" your shots, ha. Really, most true "riflemen" do that anyhow. I use a 6mm anything the same way...monos/or bonded, break bone in neck/top of shoulders.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Back in 2000, I blew my neck out ( in the gym, of all places, trying to be healthy!) and that hunting season I was "not supposed to fire a rifle", said the Dr in front of my wife! so, I convinced them both that I could piut together a hot .22 CF that would have no recoil. OK. I had my smith put a Mod 700 classic "take off" barrel in .220 Swift on a little Mod 7 rifle I had, with a factory synthetic stock. then had a muzzlebrake put on. It would shoot the then available Federal factory 55gr Trophy Bonded into 1/2 inch at 100. I shot a mule deer buck at 130yds , frontal chest shot. He dropped, but the ranch biologist ( this was a late season hunt) ran up to him and he jumped up and ran perpendicular to me. I popped him behind the shoulder and he rolled over, dead. I then took it to Texas for some Exotics and shot a coyote, an axis doe and two very fine Blackbucks.
A few years later I used a little CZ 527 in .221 fireball and the old 50gr XLC on a 75yd, 80 pound shoat. Very tight behind the shoulder, and it made a 50 caliber hole all the way through. I used a .224 TTH and the Swift 75gr Scirocco on a 300# hog at 25yds. Head/neck junction. Pow, flop, kick a bit. It fragmented but broke her neck. Then I burned out on them, only shoot varmints/predators with them now. They are wicked little rounds, but very, very wind sensitive and no blood trails, so one must "finesse" your shots, ha. Really, most true "riflemen" do that anyhow. I use a 6mm anything the same way...monos/or bonded, break bone in neck/top of shoulders.

Your sheer and utter CLUELESSNESS,is rather fhuqking Epic. Congratulations?!?

Hint.............
Good morning Big! I have a friend that's been using a Mod 77 in .220 Swift for the past 45 yrs or so. This is down in East Tx, the deer are pretty small. I liked the hot 22s as I shot a lot of crows back then too. They sure make the feathers fly, ha!
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Good morning Big! I have a friend that's been using a Mod 77 in .220 Swift for the past 45 yrs or so. This is down in East Tx, the deer are pretty small. I liked the hot 22s as I shot a lot of crows back then too. They sure make the feathers fly, ha!

"Tell" me more about wind. I've barely had halfa dozen Swifts and only a coupla CHeetah's,mainly because I prefer 22-250AI's.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.........
Starting to look like Stick got into a stash of bad meth, think we should get what passes for the police in his neighborhood to do a courtesy call?
Few things funnier,than a Whining Texan...doing her best. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Re-hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............
[Linked Image]

Don't know, or care what "DRT" is, but I've never wounded and lost any black bear I've ever shot at....with any rifle.

Sorry I was an complete a$$ the way I responded Pat. I know you are more proficient, skilled and experienced then 99% of the posters here, including myself.

Be that as it may, on the WA and OR coast and the west slopes of the cascades, itā€™s obviously different then the pictures you posted. Perfect shot or not, you typically never watch the animal die (DRT - dead right there). I love the 22 center fires and hate recoil but have hedged my ā€œbetsā€ by going larger caliber, especially elk and bear.

Sincere question Pat, any validity to that ā€œargumentā€? Yes I know, age old debate!

Sorry I was an complete a$$ the way I responded Pat. I know you are more proficient, skilled and experienced then 99% of the posters here, including myself.

Be that as it may, on the WA and OR coast and the west slopes of the cascades, itā€™s obviously different then the pictures you posted. Perfect shot or not, you typically never watch the animal die (DRT - dead right there). I love the 22 center fires and hate recoil but have hedged my ā€œbetsā€ by going larger caliber, especially elk and bear.

Sincere question Pat, any validity to that ā€œargumentā€? Yes I know, age old debate!

Good for you on the apology.

Centerfire 22s can work great but moving up to the .243/6MM and the 105gr bullets makes a better general deer cartridge.

I have killed and seen killed a lot of deer and antelope with the .223/5.56 and it works fine inside 300yds.

Killed and seen killed lots of deer and antelope with the 22/243 and 80gr VLDs and it works fine to 800yds but kills barrels to fast.

I don't think Pat is using 55gr bullets for deer hunting these days.
[Linked Image]

No offense taken.....

The OP wanted to hear some stories, and see a few pics.

Just sharing a few of both.

I think there's enough yelling back and forth on these forums. All of that has me losing interest.

Guys are going to hunt with whatever rifles they want, and can form their own opinions.
[Linked Image]

Not much for size..;), but a pretty unique color phase.

Journal says: 125 yards, 55gr Hornady, Ran 35 yards.
Favorite .224 Centerfire today(bolt gun)? Favorite boolit in same?

Pass the Kreedmire/88's for me..................
[Linked Image]

I gave the old Sako .220 Swift to my youngest son a few years ago. He's grown pretty attached to it, and has taken a few big game animals, and a good number of coyotes with it.

Barrel number nine will be a Bartlein, chambered in .22 Creed. He's sending it in this March.
I like threads like this that show that big game was killed clean with.22's before fast twist and high BC bullets.
I like threads like this that show that big game was killed clean with.22's before fast twist and high BC bullets.

Ball ammo and Core-Lokts can claim way more kills then trendy bullets. FACT
I enjoy the Ass Ache of Drooling Dumb Fhuqks...Whining about wares beyond their "means","abilities" and "comprehension".

Hint.................
Originally Posted by pete53
federal sharp shooters use 556,223 rem. for most of the deer they shoot at night and Federal sharp shooters kill plenty deer.

Odds are pretty good that somewhere among the posters is in fact a federal contractor who does wildlife conflict management. Iā€™ve yet to ever see his advice not be solid. I know of another contractor who prefers the 22 hornet suppressed and head shots but his shots are rarely over 75 yds and taken at night with NVā€™s on crowded airports and the like. Both have a set budget and shoot what they want given the target and area etc.
1. Longest shot I've ever taken on a deer; 360 yards with a 22-250 and DRT with a lung shot. The bullet, a Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer.

2. Another deer I took with a Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer but this time out of a 222. It was a lung shot. The deer rand about 100 yards and died.

3. A deer I took at about 252 yards with a 45 grain Hornady bullet out of a 204 Ruger went less than 20 feet.

I consider the 204 Ruger marginal. I consider the 22-250 and similar a very valid chambering for deer sized big game.

Lots of game was killed by round balls launched out of flintlocks before there were percussion caps. So?
Iā€™ve killed a couple does with a 22-250 shooting 55 grain varmint bullets but both were head shots. I hunted a ranch in Texas that an old man owned and he swore by the 22-250 for deer but I swear that old man lost more deer that he shot than I can count. I couldnā€™t begin to testify to shot placement, I just know I spent a lot of nights with a flashlight looking for deer ā€œhe hit goodā€. I think these heavier bullets now available with fast twist barrels definitely adds an advantage to the 22 cal capability on deer/antelope sized game especially since accuracy can be so good, recoil non-existent and being able to watch the shot all the way through.
I gotta call a certain goofy fhuqker,of whom you speak...................(grin)
All these were 222 or 223 with a variety of bullets
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have dozens more instances, they flat kill stuff. I rarely use ā€œgoodā€ bullets and rarely have anything do much running, surgical precision and no recoil makes for short tracking jobs.
AR and Mini 14, using my handloads (64 grain Winchester SP over H335) have proved reliable killers on hogs and deer here in North Florida.

Lots of game was killed by round balls launched out of flintlocks before there were percussion caps. So?

Lots of game was killed with bow and arrow before there were flintlocks. But only with fast twist fletching.
More than a few steaks,was run offa cliffs too.

The Window Lickers NEVER disappoint,by simply doing their best!

Bless their hearts!..............
Originally Posted by smokepole

Lots of game was killed with bow and arrow before there were flintlocks. But only with fast twist fletching.

Y'alls points are really "relevant" to the thread.
Pat,

Could you post some photos of your and your son's Swift and provide a history of the rifle? What twist is your son going with in the .22 Creed?
Scenarshooter, have you had problems with wind drift in that open country? As for me , there is no wind drift , my avr. shot is 20 yds here in the cat tail marshes.
Iā€™ve killed a handful with the 223 and the 70 grain Speer RN. The bullet stays together and all have exited. All the deer died. Most ran, one dropped. The blood trails left something to be desired. I like hunting with it, but have decided to stick with bigger stuff for a better tracking job. I know a lot of guys like the copper bullets, but Iā€™m cheap and like shooting cup and cores at reasonable velocities. Iā€™ll probably use it again for deer, but there are better rounds out there, IMO.
I donā€™t have any experience with them because I use calibers suited to the game I hunt without feeling the need to push any envelopes. A .22 caliber is marginal for deer at the very least. Why use marginal when there are so many better choices? Is a .243 Win too powerful for many?

Actual experiences will be heavily skewed towards the positive because those who choose to use skirt the edges will almost always feel the need to justify their choices. A .22 caliber for deer-sized game is just an accident waiting to happen. JMHO.
Originally Posted by Cbeard64
I donā€™t have any experience with them because I use calibers suited to the game I hunt without feeling the need to push any envelopes. A .22 caliber is marginal for deer at the very least. Why use marginal when there are so many better choices? Is a .243 Win too powerful for many?

Actual experiences will be heavily skewed towards the positive because those who choose to use skirt the edges will almost always feel the need to justify their choices. A .22 caliber for deer-sized game is just an accident waiting to happen. JMHO.

Wow you're really cool. I'm sure you "know" a lot and "do" a lot. You've changed my mind. I'll never stunt shoot again.
Originally Posted by Cbeard64

Oooopsie! Does this box show a deer on it? shocked

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/94766.jpg
I've never seen a deer killed with a .22 CF bullet.

That's why I use RF ammo on pigs.

I have seen elephant, water buff, pigs and people whacked by .22 CF bullets. They all required at least one shot.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I have seen elephant, water buff, pigs and people whacked by .22 CF bullets. They all required at least one shot.

Donā€™t they all require at least one shot?

P

I have done it for years, although I still think there are better cartridges for deer. My wife with a 22-250, my daughter with a 223 and a couple more antelope with the 22-250. The nice thing about a great varmint cartridge is you can shoot them in the head, even at extended ranges...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

I'm not sure. I've had a few twofers and even threefers with pigs, guess it would/could happen with deer. That's kinda like a half shot or less per critter. And there is the question about short rounds. A 1911 will whack a water buff with one pop and that's sorta like a half shot as well. Mathman might have some insight on this.

Pop'n flop
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

I'm not sure. I've had a few twofers and even threefers with pigs, guess it would/could happen with deer. That's kinda like a half shot or less per critter. And there is the question about short rounds. A 1911 will whack a water buff with one pop and that's sorta like a half shot as well. Mathman might have some insight on this.

Pop'n flop

heard that water buffalo makes good phĆ² ...
This real experience cracks me up... Fake experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buddy of mine shot a deer in the foot and killed it , it was scratching it's ear. smile
The ballistic gack is good but the old photos are great. Thanks, Pat.
[Linked Image]

I gave the old Sako .220 Swift to my youngest son a few years ago. He's grown pretty attached to it, and has taken a few big game animals, and a good number of coyotes with it.

Barrel number nine will be a Bartlein, chambered in .22 Creed. He's sending it in this March.

Super nice light in this photo.
[Linked Image]

Not much for size..;), but a pretty unique color phase.

Journal says: 125 yards, 55gr Hornady, Ran 35 yards.

Iā€™d bet that journal will be a valued treasure to your boys some day. This is a great thread.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This real experience cracks me up... Fake experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's fake about it.
Vince Dougherty was another proponent of the 220 Swift. A google search should turn up some interesting rid bits.

Me, I've used the 14 twist 22/250 to take whitetail. 55 grain Hornady and 60 grain Partitions mostly. A couple fell to the 55 grain Remington Power Lokt copper clad softpoint.
Admitting to use of the 22 on deer would be a crime in this state. Even possession while hunting for deer is a crime in This state.
I have killed my 2 largest whitetails with .223/ 55 gr. soft points. 1 right below the ear the other high/tight to the shoulder, both about 30 yds. DRT.
[Linked Image]

Glad to see he's keeping the rifle going. Slightly bummed he's not sticking with the Swift, but get it.

That's some major league baseball hair!! Practices here are going in earnest. Best part of summer...baseball.
Originally Posted by kellory
Admitting to use of the 22 on deer would be a crime in this state. Even possession while hunting for deer is a crime in This state.

Then move to Colorado where possession while hunting is just fine.
I've killed quite a few deer and antelope with a .22-250, but they were mostly from my high school and college days and they're on 35mm hard copies....I need to digitize them some day.

Of my recent 22 CF kills, I've put these pictures up here more than a few times, but what's once more?

Here's a Wyoming mule deer killed via vanilla .223 at about 80 yards with the 62 TSX. This instance had a "failed" bullet that didn't open correctly, but I honestly don't know if I hit a branch in front of the deer or if the bullet somehow was at fault.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know we're talking about deer here, so I apologize for throwing an antelope into the foray. Same 62 TSX load as above but at 558 yards. Zero fuss.
[Linked Image]

Here's a Montana mule deer that that took one shot from my .22 Hi-power at about 20 yards with a .228" Sisk (still a .22 CF right?). Not much of a test at 20 yards, but this buck didn't go anywhere but straight down.
[Linked Image]
One buck each with a .221 Fireball and .225 Win. Barnes original X in both, 45gr and 53gr respectively. I'm gonna try to bloody a .222 Rem Mag this coming season.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

What's fake about it.?
I am more than a bit late to this party. But I have to thank Pat for sharing his wonderful pics and memories. There are some gorgeous mulies in those pics.

Lots of talk on this thread about bullets, as there should be. Someone here once said bullets matter more than headstamps.

Shooting a 225 Win w/ a 14 inch twist barrel, I heartily recommend the Hornady 60 gr spire point for deer. I have burned thousands of them in a couple 22-250s over 34.3 gr of 3031 at 3600 fps.

Your 225 will not make 3600 fps, but my old manuals show loads up to 3450 to 3500 fps which will stabilize the Hornady 60 sp. (but 14 inch will not stabilize the Nosler 60 gr ballistic tip.)

I do not have Pat's record of game killed with a 22. I only shot one mule deer with a 22-250, at about 200 yds. It ran a bit over 80 yds after the shot, just like dozens and dozens of mulies I have seen heart shot with the 30-06. The only difference being, the '06 is likely to leave an exit wound and a better blood trail.

Dressing the deer showed the entire thorassic cavity pulverized. One lung was collapsed into a ball of tissue smaller than the heart. The heart had several slices through it like it had been cut with a knife. The aorta was decimated. And there was a large bruise on the inside of the opposite ribs, but no exit wound.

A 22 cal w/ varmint bullets would not be my first choice to try to break the pelvis with an ass shot. But it will excel with any head, neck, or broadside heart shot.

Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun!
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've killed quite a few deer and antelope with a .22-250, but they were mostly from my high school and college days and they're on 35mm hard copies....I need to digitize them some day.

Of my recent 22 CF kills, I've put these pictures up here more than a few times, but what's once more?

Here's a Wyoming mule deer killed via vanilla .223 at about 80 yards with the 62 TSX. This instance had a "failed" bullet that didn't open correctly, but I honestly don't know if I hit a branch in front of the deer or if the bullet somehow was at fault.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know we're talking about deer here, so I apologize for throwing an antelope into the foray. Same 62 TSX load as above but at 558 yards. Zero fuss.

Here's a Montana mule deer that that took one shot from my .22 Hi-power at about 20 yards with a .228" Sisk (still a .22 CF right?). Not much of a test at 20 yards, but this buck didn't go anywhere but straight down.

What rifle is that? What power swfa?
Cbeard, by your own admission you don't have experience with them, yet somehow you judge them lacking despite the first hand evidence to the contrary. You're repeating the same baseless wives-tale with nothing but your gut-feeling to back it up.

I challenge your assumption that reports would be skewed to the positive. I believe anyone who lost a deer with a .223 would be shouting from the rooftops how unsuitable the caliber was (of course blaming the caliber, not the shot). The reason they're not is because it WORKS. It's easy to shoot well, and good shots kill deer.

I'd wager (now into MY baseless assumption) that MANY more deer are lost from poor shots from 30-06, 300 WM, etc than are lost by underperforming .223.
Am I the only member of this august group who has killed deer with a .22 Savage Hi Power? I have a weakness for cartridges designed by Charles Newton and have killed deer with most: .22 Savage Hi Power, .250-3000 Savage, .300 Savage. .256 Newton. The first deer I "harvested" with a Hi Power was facing me at about 80 yards. I shot standing, unsupported and hit him right in the middle of the chest. Field dressing revealed that the 70 grain .228" bullet had turned the lungs to soup and the buck never moved out of his tracks. I can recommend that cartridge, as well as all the other Newton designs unequivocally. (I have a particular weakness for the .256 Newton, perhaps because I have several 1916 Newton rifles in that caliber.)
Odd that this popped back up to the top. I was just considering using ONLY the .223AI for all all of my deer hunting this year. Yesterday I changed bases on the rifle my 2 youngest use and will be sighting it in, shooting with them later today. I know I won't stick to only the .223AI....I like to use different rifles to much and over a 4 month season hunting 2 to 3 days a week I have trouble with my fidelity to one rifle.

I've had excellent results with the .223AI, 62 TSX/TTSX, and deer. Some of the kills have been with forming loads so in some cases the velocity would have been slightly less than normal .223 loads. Majority have been less than 100 yards and shoulder shots.
My wife's co-worker/friend ( a "she") has taken something like 22 whitetails in 22 Maine deer seasons with a Savage 340 in 222 Rem with a 4x Weaver and factory loads ( can't tell you the make or bullet weight, but either 50 or 55 grain cup and core bullets). She never lost a deer while using the 222 Rem. She never took more than one shot at a deer. She is very patient. She has passed on taking a shot several times, waiting for the best shot for her. She is not a great shot, but she is both a patient, and disciplined hunter-which is obviously very important for her set up.

She hunts from a free stand on her father's farm. A long shot for her is 50 yards. She aims for the base of the head.

She eventually bought a 308 Winchester. She said she just wanted more power in case she got a moose lottery license, and retired the 222 Rem.

I have a 222 Rem. It is legal in Maine. It wouldn't be my first choice for deer hunting, but if I was hungry and it was all I had- I would use it and be selective with my shot.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Odd that this popped back up to the top. I was just considering using ONLY the .223AI for all all of my deer hunting this year. Yesterday I changed bases on the rifle my 2 youngest use and will be sighting it in, shooting with them later today. I know I won't stick to only the .223AI....I like to use different rifles to much and over a 4 month season hunting 2 to 3 days a week I have trouble with my fidelity to one rifle.

I've had excellent results with the .223AI, 62 TSX/TTSX, and deer. Some of the kills have been with forming loads so in some cases the velocity would have been slightly less than normal .223 loads. Majority have been less than 100 yards and shoulder shots.

Your welcome, I'm hood at digging up.old bones! I actually ran into this thread by researching Stag Hunting in NZ with small centerfire. I bought my first .223 rem with some leftover insurance money from my truck being side-swiped back when I was 16, I'm 31 now. I have had several .223, my most favorite carriage for here in North Missouri. Before that I hunted with a .218bee lever action that was loaned to me from my uncle. I took a doe with it. She was about 50yds. I wouldnt hesitate to use a .22lr at bow range if it where legal.
Originally Posted by Lw308
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Your welcome, I'm hood at digging up.old bones! I actually ran into this thread by researching Stag Hunting in NZ with small centerfire. I bought my first .223 rem with some leftover insurance money from my truck being side-swiped back when I was 16, I'm 31 now. I have had several .223, my most favorite carriage for here in North Missouri. Before that I hunted with a .218bee lever action that was loaned to me from my uncle. I took a doe with it. She was about 50yds. I wouldnt hesitate to use a .22lr at bow range if it where legal.

What county are you in up there?
Growing up in East TX, there was an older gent near our camp that also used a Savage 340 in .222 and iron sights. Saw a few older Savage single shots in .22 Hornet ( they also came with a 20ga barrel) being used too. But those deer were small and the "preferred shot" on any hog was burr of the ear. I "worried to death" a yearling with an M1 Carbine and 86grHP ( only ammo Western auto had) I would have given anything for a good 22-250 at that time! POC Universal Carbine at that. I was 15, and as soon as I could put the money together...from then on, I used a 30-30. I was about 17 when I actually knew a guy whose HS son ( younger than me) used a Ruger 77 220 Swift. The next year, I shot a "wad" of 5.56 in an M16A1, ha. When I was sent to Germany instead of the Rice Paddies, we had a terrible time with the wind during any qualification. Penciled in Expert scores all around, ha. Our 8 inch rounds had more "oomph" for Eastern Bloc Commies anyhow.
I guess my first 5-6 deer were taken with a .22 Hornet using factory 45 grain bullets. Killed a few with a .221 Fireball too. Never lost one. A friend of mine routinely culls with a .222 Rem. If you know what you are doing, itā€™s not that difficult.
I have used various .22s on deer quite extensively over the years, going back to the mid 1990s.

.22 Hornet- The main rifle used was an Anschutz, HB that is extremely accurate with 45 grain Soft Points and the old Solid Base BTs from Nosler. I used a Ruger a few times that belonged to a friend and it perfroemd equally like my Anschutz on game but I have tremendous confidence in the Anschutz's accuracy. This was mainly used for culling does and a few small bucks with CNS shots at the base of the head and neck. I dont remember ever taking body shots, as that was not the intent and used it for what were considered controlled shots to 125 yards +/-. It worked but would pass on shots not considered ideal. The low recoil and blast were great and did not spook deer stands too much. The Hornet really should be used by patient, practiced shooters.

.222 Rem- Of all the the 22 CFs used, this might be my favorite but least used. The main rifle was an older 700 with 26" barrel. It was used similar to the Hornet with 50-55 grain SPs, V-Max, and Bergers. The SPs were used the most and when the CNS was hit, it was lights out. I used it a few times on lung and heart shots with the SPs and it worked very well but they were classic, relaxed broadside shots. I was confident with the 222 to 175 yards max on precision shots. Again, the low blast made it a lot of fun. One day, I want to build a custom 222, probably with a 24 inch barrel, that can accompany me in fixed deer stands or as a truck gun. V-Max were accurate but obviously explosive which were good for CNS hits.

.223 Rem- Most of my experience with 223 and deer were used with ARs. A few accurate bolt guns have been used but I have carried ARs the past 10 years more than anything else, mainly due to the fact I was trying for hogs at the same time. Blast is definitely more intense than the Hornet and 222 BUT since getting a suppressor, it has become my favorite. I started using 55-60 grain SPs then got into the various Barnes bullets thinking I was going to have a more full proof trophy deer setup. I shot a few very nice bucks with 70 gr TSXs but none of the reactions were impressive. To me, it was similar to shooting deer with a pistol; it worked but kind of ho-hum. All bullets exited but there were very little to no blood trails. Most deer ran 30-70 yards after being hit in the lungs, shoulder, or heart. However, my best buck with a 223 was hit at 75 yards, quartering to me in the shoulder then exited the off side ribs going through both lungs. The buck ended up running 200 yards with only a trace of blood spots. I found the buck after looking for 45 mins and walking each trail but it left me scratching my head. Fast forward to this past season. I shot a doe broadside in the heart and got the classic rear leg kick out. After getting out of my stand and loading up the truck, it started raining hard. I looked for 2 hours plus the next day and never could find her. I'm confident I hit her exactly where I wanted, but little to no blood trail is a problem. Since then, I'm trying out lighter TSXs and considering going back to the 60 grain SPs.

22-250 Rem- By far, I have used 22-250s the most out of all the 22 CFs on deer. I started with an A-Bolt with 1:14 twist and BOSS. This rifle took many deer, mainly with good ole yellow and green box, 55 grain Soft Points. These bullets seem to kill much LARGER than they should, if that makes sense. It acted more like a larger cartridge. I used them on everything from CNS hits to heart and lung to shoulder shots. I dont remember ever losing a deer or having to make long recoveries as they typically were within eye sight distance to the hit, if not right there. On one doe, I was with a friend filling tags. We spotted 3 does, 200 yards out in a short stubble field edge. I fired at the largest and thought I had missed. My buddy was looking through binos and was convinced too that I missed but we could only see 2 flags running off in the woods. We drove over to the spot and she was laying there. With the 55 grain SP, she dropped so fast neither of us saw it, and she was hit square through both shoulders WITH an exit. Impressive. I ended up getting tired of the blast from the BOSS, even though it worked as advertised on accuracy, and rebarrelling the rifle with a 26", 9 twist Kreiger. The rifle is very, very accurate but I have hardly used it since. Since then, I have been using an 8 twist, Rem Sporter profile Lilja, on a 700. It shoots Scriroccos well and they perform nicely. However, I have been loading up 70 gr NABs in it and think these might be the best. I like the bonded bullets in the 22-250. They seem to be a good hybrid between SPs and TSXs. The TSXs are great, especially driven very fast. A friend is pushing the 70s through a much faster cartridge than the 22-250 and that appears to be the ticket for them. Out of all the 22CFs, I have used, the 22-250 does put deer down harder than the rest, as it should, since its driving bullets faster. On mature bucks, I'm confident with it to 200 yards.
22 LR...lets just say I've seen it work many many times...and with a 100% DRT outcome
Originally Posted by Lw308
Originally Posted by T_Inman

What rifle is that? What power swfa?

Drug up from the bowels of the archives.....I seem to post those same pictures quite oftenlaugh.

That's a Kimber 84M (or are you referring to the Savage1899H?).
6x42 Mil Quad.
© 24hourcampfire